PDA

View Full Version : I’m impressed the defense maintains its composure vs Steph at times.

Kblaze8855
10-26-2020, 04:08 PM
https://youtu.be/GTReew_AO5w

Vernon Maxwell, Derek Harper, and Alvin Robertson rolling over in their graves watching these guards not lay hands on him out of sheer frustration and the disrespectful levels of fun he’s having.

Id have to keep a goon on a minimum contract just for such a situation. Just give him the “This ***** is too nice. He’s scoring too effortlessly right now” glance and put him in with the understanding that I’ll pay the fine after the clothesline from hell:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AshamedCheerfulCardinal-size_restricted.gif

Give that Vernon Maxwell explanation he used when telling Kenny Smith why he tried to fight Jordan. “It’s the way he’s scoring. He’s scoring too easy.”

**** he think this is?

We have to fight on like....the 9th effortless 3 in my face. I’m gonna need you to at least pretend I’m here. He’s paying the D no mind when he gets hot. Im gonna need to be acknowledged.

HylianNightmare
10-26-2020, 10:37 PM
That era seems to be over

red1
10-26-2020, 10:53 PM
https://youtu.be/GTReew_AO5w

Vernon Maxwell, Derek Harper, and Alvin Robertson rolling over in their graves watching these guards not lay hands on him out of sheer frustration and the disrespectful levels of fun he’s having.

Id have to keep a goon on a minimum contract just for such a situation. Just give him the “This ***** is too nice. He’s scoring too effortlessly right now” glance and put him in with the understanding that I’ll pay the fine after the clothesline from hell:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AshamedCheerfulCardinal-size_restricted.gif

Give that Vernon Maxwell explanation he used when telling Kenny Smith why he tried to fight Jordan. “It’s the way he’s scoring. He’s scoring too easy.”

**** he think this is?

We have to fight on like....the 9th effortless 3 in my face. I’m gonna need you to at least pretend I’m here. He’s paying the D no mind when he gets hot. Im gonna need to be acknowledged.

:oldlol:

Bawkish
10-26-2020, 11:01 PM
this is considered a foul nowadays

https://media1.tenor.com/images/7b863d746c52a9e5a74a391ae9ca8501/tenor.gif

imdaman99
10-26-2020, 11:10 PM
Why no mention of John Starks? He would not let Curry go off like this. I remember watching Curry light up the Knicks for 55. Felton played good D and he still went off, he finally got some stops at the end and the Knicks won (lol crazy right?) and I was still pissed off watching the game. Starks would not allow it, yeah MJ rekt him with a double nickel, but MJ could get any shot he wanted. Curry can't.

Kblaze8855
10-26-2020, 11:38 PM
He would probably still go off im just saying im sure its annoying to see and have to take it. The time Vernon and Jordan got into it(well...one of the times) this was why:

We were in Houston, and he spun on me and went baseline. All I saw was that Jumpman logo on the bottom of his shoes when he was dunking.
I just took off running back down the floor. And he ran up behind me and hit me on my butt. That’s when I was like ‘Man, don’t put your damn hands on me!’
You’re going to embarrass me like that? Don’t come up and touch me. That’s when we got to cheek to cheek. I was just telling him, ‘Don’t disrespect me. You already dunked on me and disrespected me enough. Don’t come and hit me on my ass.’

That guy punched one fan in the face, cussed out another and Robert Horry for telling him to chill, and apparently pushed Gary Payton so far he wanted to kill him with a barbell.

I dont know if hes turning the other cheek when Steph starts prancing around. But there was a time you weren't supposed to allow such a thing. Now? Not so much of an issue I guess. You can act up a bit more without repercussion.

tpols
10-26-2020, 11:47 PM
It's basketball not football. Gooning a GOAT shooter because he's icing you isn't basketball. It's another sport.

Kblaze8855
10-26-2020, 11:53 PM
It's basketball not football. Gooning a GOAT shooter because he's icing you isn't basketball. It's another sport.

"Gooning" someone going out of their way to clown you is....just about every sport. Might as well go tell pitchers hitting a batter who mocked him last time that it isnt basetball or a late hit on a QB who keeps chirping isnt football.

What you think it is and what its been in reality are not the same thing.

What the NBA has become the last few years does not decide what basketball is. The great majority of basketball is not what the NBA decides. Which it seems you often believe...but only when it comes to someone you dont like performing well. Then its allllllll a stage play.

Reggie43
10-27-2020, 12:00 AM
Guards not being allowed to play physical defense by the rules and the fact that aggressive behaviour is more heavily penalized now led us to this type of era.

SouBeachTalents
10-27-2020, 12:03 AM
Steph really is the greatest front runner in league history. I've never seen a dude pour it on to increase the lead and put the game out of reach like he does

scuzzy
10-27-2020, 12:08 AM
Steph really is the greatest front runner in league history. I've never seen a dude pour it on to increase the lead and put the game out of reach like he does
Yup, he'll grow some pubes, shimmy his shoulders and stretch the score when GSW is already up +10

Down by -5 in the fourth quarter with the pressure on (especially playoffs), he goes into passive mode and disappears.

Shooter
10-27-2020, 12:09 AM
Guards not being allowed to play physical defense by the rules and the fact that aggressive behaviour is more heavily penalized now led us to this type of era.

Yeah, you can't play defense by punching people and putting them in headlocks anymore. You need actual defensive skill now

tpols
10-27-2020, 12:09 AM
"Gooning" someone going out of their way to clown you is....just about every sport. Might as well go tell pitchers hitting a batter who mocked him last time that it isnt basetball or a late hit on a QB who keeps chirping isnt football.

What you think it is and what its been in reality are not the same thing.

What the NBA has become the last few years does not decide what basketball is. The great majority of basketball is not what the NBA decides. Which it seems you often believe...but only when it comes to someone you dont like performing well. Then its allllllll a stage play.

The warriors for their first title before the season started were @ +2800 odds... Curry averages one of the lowest free throw rates of all time. There's nothing about him that's WWE. The opposite in fact... Underdog dynasty leader, and out of nowhere GOAT peak play.

Reggie43
10-27-2020, 12:15 AM
Yeah, you can't play defense by punching people and putting them in headlocks anymore. You need actual defensive skill now

physical defense equates to punching now? how about being allowed to touch a guy and not be called for ticky tack fouls for every small bump.

Shooter
10-27-2020, 12:16 AM
physical defense equates to punching now? how about being allowed to touch a guy and not be called for ticky tack fouls for every small bump.

You watch the playoffs my guy? Stay tuned, it happens every year.

tpols
10-27-2020, 12:18 AM

To be fair if reggie could survive the 90's so could curry. They're the same weight, with Chef being way shorter. John Stockton was a dominant 90's guard and he was way smaller than Curry.

Reggie43
10-27-2020, 12:24 AM
You watch the playoffs my guy? Stay tuned, it happens every year.

Are you old enough to have seen basketball before all the offensive rule changes? Pretty sure not every game has punches and headlocks regardless of what the highlights tell you.

light
10-27-2020, 12:25 AM
For someone that can make threes like Steph it's really odd that he's never scored more than 54 points in any game.

Even Klay scored 60 and he did it in three quarters.

What gives?

tpols
10-27-2020, 12:28 AM
For someone that can make threes like Steph it's really odd that he's never scored more than 54 points in any game.

What gives?

It's pretty simple really... when chef's on, it's an avalanche. Warriors games used to end half way through the 3rd quarter.

Kblaze8855
10-27-2020, 12:30 AM
The warriors for their first title before the season started were @ +2800 odds... Curry averages one of the lowest free throw rates of all time. There's nothing about him that's WWE. The opposite in fact... Underdog dynasty leader, and out of nowhere GOAT peak play.

A guy who has taken 11 threes a game the last 5 years not shooting many free throws isnt worth reporting. Nobody said hes out here foul hunting like Harden. He is perhaps the primary beneficiary of the freedom of movement rule adjustment that made it impossible to guard shooters who move around but thats a whole other thing......

This isnt a negative thing about him anyway. Just a performance id be frustrated having to deal with.

Him having it easier after the NBA decided to take the next step in manufacturing offensive stars with new rule interpretations is both hard to argue......and not my point. Its true but its not the issue at the moment.

Reggie43
10-27-2020, 12:30 AM
To be fair if reggie could survive the 90's so could curry. They're the same weight, with Chef being way shorter. John Stockton was a dominant 90's guard and he was way smaller than Curry.

The question is not about surviving but would he be allowed to play the same way he is accustomed to if he plays in the 90s? He would obviously be very good/great in any era but his numbers wont be the same in a slow paced defensive minded era.

Kblaze8855
10-27-2020, 12:32 AM

What gives?

He had 51 this game in 3 quarters. Durant also had 30 in 3 as well.

SouBeachTalents
10-27-2020, 12:34 AM

What gives?
Durant's never scored more than 54 either which is crazy. But yeah you'd expect in this defenseless era of basketball that Curry would just go nuclear and drop 60 once, I know a lot of times he doesn't even play in the 4th because his team is up by so much

tpols
10-27-2020, 01:03 AM
He is perhaps the primary beneficiary of the freedom of movement rule adjustment that made it impossible to guard shooters who move around but thats a whole other thing.......

Not at all because freedom of movement applies to on ball guards way more than off ball. Reggie is half a foot taller than Curry and the same weight, but he used off ball movement and tons of screening to evade physical play and get open. That's exactly what Curry has done as well. His assists went down 50+% from jackson to kerr because he started playing off ball which unlocked the GOAT offense.

Ben Simmons
10-27-2020, 04:55 AM
Not at all because freedom of movement applies to on ball guards way more than off ball. Reggie is half a foot taller than Curry and the same weight, but he used off ball movement and tons of screening to evade physical play and get open. That's exactly what Curry has done as well. His assists went down 50+% from jackson to kerr because he started playing off ball which unlocked the GOAT offense.

The nba recently changed this interpretation (last 2 to 3 years) after the Warriors complained about the Cavs constantly holding Curry to stop him from coming off the screens and blow up their offball sets. Part of the reason they were so good at defending him while others werent.

Axe
10-27-2020, 05:36 AM
But yeah you'd expect in this defenseless era of basketball that Curry would just go nuclear and drop 60 once, I know a lot of times he doesn't even play in the 4th because his team is up by so much
That's why he has no iconic moment in the playoffs whatsoever.

light
10-27-2020, 06:02 AM
It's pretty simple really... when chef's on, it's an avalanche. Warriors games used to end half way through the 3rd quarter.

That's what LeBron fans used to say about LeBron not scoring 60.

That's not the right answer.

I think that perhaps, like with LeBron, the answer is simply that Steph hasn't tried yet due to his faith in unselfishness.

They're both true believers.