PDA

View Full Version : Is the 80s still the best collection of basketball in terms of talent and teams?

Micku
10-26-2020, 05:19 PM
It seems like the mid 80s and late 80s was stacked full of superstar talent. Almost every position. The 80s overall you had to see almost the GOAT in every position.

PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF Larry Bird
PF: Barkley
C: Kareem
All of which had some GOAT conversation attached to their name that people still argue till this day except for Barkley. At the very least tho, arguable to the best in their position in nba history.

If you go by people all time list, you tend to see ppl's top 10 list

MJ (80s)
LeBron
Kareem (80s)
Wilt
Russell
Magic (80s)
Bird (80s)
Kobe
Shaq
Hakeem (80s) or Ducnan

Five of those players played in the 80s. Even if you replace Hakeem with Duncan, that'll be four. You can argue it's the same as the 00s at that point, however you got more players to be argue that their the best in their position I feel in the 80s. Of course, primes a little bit different. Kareem prime was more 70s. Hakeem prime was more 90s. MJ prime was late 80s and early 90s. However, they still ball'd in the elite status in the 80s. MJ arguably had his best season in 88. Hakeem went to the finals in 86. Magic best season arguably in 87. Bird in 86. Kareem in was still the best player in 1980.

If going beyond the the top players of each position, you always find another solid top player.

PG: Isiah Thomas, John Stockton, Gus Williams, Fat Lever, Dennis Johnson, Norm Nixon
SG: George Gervin, Clyde Drexler, Sidney Moncrief, Joe Dumars, World B. Free, Michael Cooper
SF (too many): Dr. J, Dominque Wilkins, James Worthy, Alex English, Bernard King, Jamaal Wilkes, Kiki Vandeweghe, Rodman
PF: Karl Malone, Kevin Mchale, Larry Nance, Tom Chambers Buck Williams, Bobby Jones, Charles Oakley
C: Moses Malone, Hakeem, Patrick Ewing, Robert Parish, Artis Gilmore, Bill Laimbeer

Of course you have the combos. Magic played more SG in beginning. Bird played PF. Dennis Johnson played SG. Barkley sometimes played SF. Worthy played PF.

Usually when you think of the best teams of all time, I think most ppl would have either 1996 Bulls or 17 Warriors. After that tho? You have some of the tradition 80s team to choose from. 83 Sixers, 86 Celts, 87 Lakers, and 89 Pistons.

I remember the commentators making a somewhat of a big deal saying how a team like 17 GSW, finally being on par with the 87 Lakers in OTrg. The following year, I think the GSW surpassed it and the Dallas of this year surpass them. Of course then, they were making some comments that stats don't mean everything in this regard, and don't think Dallas is a better offensive team than the 87 Lakers. But I say this mostly in regard how nba analysts and even nba players view them as a team.

Not every team peaked at the same time, but you still have great non champion teams and some good series.

Micku
10-26-2020, 05:23 PM
But you still have criticism of the decade like every other decade of nba history.

The biggest criticism is the lack of defense. Especially compared to the previous decade in the 70s and the later in the 90s. While there is some definite truth to it, it wasn't completely true. Just like in almost decade.

80s: Lack of defense.

Here you can see some articles and some old forum post that say it.

With the defense-minded Detroit Pistons making the NBA Finals twice and winning a title by holding teams under 100 points in 15 of 17 playoff games, the rest of the league has discovered that defense wins games and championships.

“The closer everybody gets to parity and teams feel like they have a shot at winning, theygre going to do whatever it takes to get over that hump,” says Joe Dumars, a Piston sparkplug at both ends of the court. “They realize that playing defense gets you over that hump.”

“In the early 80s, we knew we could outrun and outscore you,” the Lakers’ Magic Johnson said. “That’s not the way we look at the game anymore.”

“Teams have found out you can win with defense,” Detroit Coach Chuck Daly said. “It gives teams with not as good offensive players a way to compete.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-03-04-sp-2723-story.html

90s: Not enough talent like the 80s and expansion of the teams

Dr. J, Bird, Magic talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z8mm3WUH7I

00s: Too much iso, lack of offensive IQ, slow pace and too much defense

I remember there were ppl really missing 80s b-ball here. Some ppl were saying saying it was the best era, but I think it was drowned out.

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/030225

I remember one article, whatever Bill Simmons or someone else that ranted on about how fans are tired of seeing 70-80s ppg. How they should change the rules or cut some teams to make the product better to increase scoring or increase the talent. And have the young players to stay in college to increase their maturity and b-ball IQ so they would be more ready. Although for the life of me, I cannot find it. But this wasn't just that person, a several others had complaints that were similar.

10s: Soft. Rules make it harder to play d. Small ball.
You find criticism of that anywhere cause we living it.

While the topic of each decade, the rules, the impact, would be interesting topic all together, the point being is that ppl hold the 80s as a high regard. And judging from the talent and teams, and moments I feel like it has an argument. From Magic rookie finals game, to Dr. J crazy layup, Bird vs Magic, Bird's famous ball steal, Magic baby skyhook game winner, Michael Jordan vs Wilkins dunk contest, MJ's shot vs the Cavs, to the bad boys Pistons.

The 80s get the credit of saving the NBA through their exciting play. But is it still the best?

dankok8
10-26-2020, 05:30 PM
80's were absolutely the strongest era in league history. Every year the league had 4-5 absolutely stacked teams that we would call "superteams" today.

Phoenix
10-26-2020, 06:12 PM
If you didn't have at minimum 3 surefire HOFers you weren't winning a title.

RoundMoundOfReb
10-26-2020, 06:15 PM
Is MJ 80s or 90s?

Micku
10-26-2020, 06:19 PM
Is MJ 80s or 90s?

Both. Like how Kareem is both 70s and 80s. LeBron is both 00s and 10s. Shaq is both 90s and 00s.

But MJ peak/prime is like late 80s-early 90s.

Round Mound
10-26-2020, 07:04 PM
I agree 80's was the most stacked team wise for the average team.

Manny98
10-26-2020, 07:15 PM
2010s is still the most stacked for perimeter talent but it's the weakest era for bigmen

NBAGOAT
10-26-2020, 07:38 PM
Yes but I think it is a bit top heavy. Everyone knows the west is comparable to 21st century east in terms of lack of great teams but I think the east was too.

You have 2 stacked teams with hofers(bos,phi, det), mil who were very good but a step behind and then the other playoff teams didn’t even have another all star around their star or a top 15 player

Ben Simmons
10-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Yes but I think it is a bit top heavy. Everyone knows the west is comparable to 21st century east in terms of lack of great teams but I think the east was too.

You have 2 stacked teams with hofers(bos,phi, det), mil who were very good but a step behind and then the other playoff teams didn’t even have another all star around their star or a top 15 player

This. It was exremely top heavy. The western conference was worse than supposed weak east

Lebron23
10-26-2020, 09:28 PM
80's were absolutely the strongest era in league history. Every year the league had 4-5 absolutely stacked teams that we would call "superteams" today.

No salary cap until the start of the 1985 nba sesson.

dankok8
10-26-2020, 11:58 PM
No salary cap until the start of the 1985 nba sesson.

It doesn't matter. The main reason was the league was brimming with talent.

A few people said the West was weak and it was definitely weaker than the East but you look at for example Utah Jazz of the late 80's that had Karl Malone, John Stockton, Mark Eaton, Thurl Bailey, Darrell Griffith, Kelly Tripucka... This team couldn't go past the 2nd round and they were much more talented than the 90's Jazz teams that made 2 Finals. That era was just bonkers.

And you could just look at the OP and see that half of the top 12 players ever played in the mid to late 80's... Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Hakeem, Moses... and even more top 25 level guys like Dr J, Barkley, Karl, Isiah...

The current era is quite strong too; definitely not weak but it's not like the 80's. Just being real.

light
10-27-2020, 04:58 AM
It seems like the mid 80s and late 80s was stacked full of superstar talent. Almost every position. The 80s overall you had to see almost the GOAT in every position.

PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF Larry Bird
PF: Barkley
C: Kareem
All of which had some GOAT conversation attached to their name that people still argue till this day except for Barkley. At the very least tho, arguable to the best in their position in nba history.

If you go by people all time list, you tend to see ppl's top 10 list

MJ (80s)
LeBron
Kareem (80s)
Wilt
Russell
Magic (80s)
Bird (80s)
Kobe
Shaq
Hakeem (80s) or Ducnan

Five of those players played in the 80s. Even if you replace Hakeem with Duncan, that'll be four. You can argue it's the same as the 00s at that point, however you got more players to be argue that their the best in their position I feel in the 80s. Of course, primes a little bit different. Kareem prime was more 70s. Hakeem prime was more 90s. MJ prime was late 80s and early 90s. However, they still ball'd in the elite status in the 80s. MJ arguably had his best season in 88. Hakeem went to the finals in 86. Magic best season arguably in 87. Bird in 86. Kareem in was still the best player in 1980.

If going beyond the the top players of each position, you always find another solid top player.

PG: Isiah Thomas, John Stockton, Gus Williams, Fat Lever, Dennis Johnson, Norm Nixon
SG: George Gervin, Clyde Drexler, Sidney Moncrief, Joe Dumars, World B. Free, Michael Cooper
SF (too many): Dr. J, Dominque Wilkins, James Worthy, Alex English, Bernard King, Jamaal Wilkes, Kiki Vandeweghe, Rodman
PF: Karl Malone, Kevin Mchale, Larry Nance, Tom Chambers Buck Williams, Bobby Jones, Charles Oakley
C: Moses Malone, Hakeem, Patrick Ewing, Robert Parish, Artis Gilmore, Bill Laimbeer

Of course you have the combos. Magic played more SG in beginning. Bird played PF. Dennis Johnson played SG. Barkley sometimes played SF. Worthy played PF.

Usually when you think of the best teams of all time, I think most ppl would have either 1996 Bulls or 17 Warriors. After that tho? You have some of the tradition 80s team to choose from. 83 Sixers, 86 Celts, 87 Lakers, and 89 Pistons.

I remember the commentators making a somewhat of a big deal saying how a team like 17 GSW, finally being on par with the 87 Lakers in OTrg. The following year, I think the GSW surpassed it and the Dallas of this year surpass them. Of course then, they were making some comments that stats don't mean everything in this regard, and don't think Dallas is a better offensive team than the 87 Lakers. But I say this mostly in regard how nba analysts and even nba players view them as a team.

Not every team peaked at the same time, but you still have great non champion teams and some good series.

Hmm. The 80's were indeed loaded, but I think the best players from 2010-2020 would beat the best players from 1980-1990 in a game or a series.

The shooting alone would be too much. The 80's wouldn't be able to keep up.

Micku
02-28-2021, 09:39 PM
Bumping to think about this one. While I think 80s era might still be the best in terms top tier talent. It has the GOATs or arguably the GOAT in almost every position, and we saw peaks and primes in the 80s, this era is not too shabby either. Especially this year with individual talent, but it lacks the team of the 80s.

The teams were stacked too.

88 I think it probably peaked in the regular season in terms of nice collection of talent. Look at the mvp race and their numbers.
1. MJ~35.0/5.5/5.9 .535%

2. Bird~29.9/9.3/6.1 .527%

3. Magic~19.6/6.2/11.9 .492%

4. Barkley~ 28.3/11.9/3.2 .587%

5. Clyde~ 27.0/6.6/5.8 .506%

6. Wilkins~30.7/6.4/2.9 .464%

7. Hakeem~22.8/12.1/2.1 .514%

8. Karl Malone~27.7/12.0/2.4 .520%

9. Fat Lever~18.9/8.1/7.8 .473%

10. John Stockton~ 14.7/2.9/13.8 .574%

11. Alex English~ 25.0/4.7/4.7 .495%

12. Isiah Thomas~19.5/3.4/8.4 .463%

That's stacked. And there are still names unmentioned. James Worthy, Mchale, Patrick Ewing, Moses Malone, Mo Cheeks, Dantley and Brad Daugherty.

But this year is also stacked with individual talent too. It's crazy how many numbers were are seeing right now and Embiid and Jokic are playing the best a center has played offensively since Shaq. Like Curry is posting up numbers similar to his MVP season, but he won't win the mvp this year. I suppose this is wrong of me comparing eras numbers, but level of play is really impressive this year.

Thenameless
02-28-2021, 09:43 PM
Yes.

3ball
02-28-2021, 10:02 PM
Hmm. The 80's were indeed loaded, but I think the best players from 2010-2020 would beat the best players from 1980-1990 in a game or a series.

The shooting alone would be too much. The 80's wouldn't be able to keep up.

So today's game can't win at actual BASKETBALL - they can only win if we give them an extra point on their shots..

But if we took away their extra point (took away the 3-point line) and put them in the 70's, they would get blown away at actual BASKETBALL

but yeah, if we give them an extra point on their shots, then yes, they might win, otherwise, they completely suck at BASKETBALL

72-10
03-04-2021, 02:13 AM
1991 is might be better than 1981. But, I'm not sure that 1992 is better than 1982.

Im Still Ballin
01-31-2022, 09:09 PM
For sure.

- Lakers
- Celtics
- Late 70's/early 80's Philly
- Late 80's Detroit
- Don Nelson's Milwaukee

The '90s had expansion teams come in and somewhat dilute the talent. Prior to the '80s, the talent pool was smaller and fragmented due to the ABA which folded in 1976. With the advent of the Illegal Defense Guidelines, hand-check reinterpretation, and Bird and Magic being drafted, the '80s was ripe for a commercial explosion.

2much_knowledge
01-31-2022, 11:27 PM
Sure thing. 80s had the best crop of stars playing at the same time and it had the skill and also the toughness

Mr. Woke
01-31-2022, 11:30 PM
Nope. It was a weaker era (and had less parity, if parity is something that you care about).

The modern era (2010 onward) is the toughest/most competitive era in NBA history.

2much_knowledge
01-31-2022, 11:56 PM
Nope. It was a weaker era (and had less parity, if parity is something that you care about).

The modern era (2010 onward) is the toughest/most competitive era in NBA history.

Most talented and thats about it really

John8204
02-01-2022, 06:53 PM
It's the 1950's because you only had 8 teams so basically every team had a championship, HOF or Top 75 guy

Lakers (Mikan, Baylor)
Hawks (Pettit)
Warriors (Arizin, Chamberlain)
Celtics (Cousy, Jones, Sharmann, Russell)
Nationals (Greer, Schayes)
Royals (won a title)
Pistons (Yardley)

3ba11
08-09-2022, 04:04 AM
I'm now convinced that MJ's prime was actually 85-91':

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uamkj03x7Rs

It makes me wonder about the 80's where a couple stacked super-teams dominated - a player was lucky to be on those teams.. Only in the 90's where many teams had similar talent levels (parity), did the cream rise to the top with no luck needed.

TheGoatest
08-09-2022, 04:32 AM
The 4 decades since the introduction of the 3 point line:

1. 2010s
2. 1980s
3. 2000s
4. 1990s

The 2020s are so far shaping up to be somewhere between #2 and #3.

999Guy
08-09-2022, 06:19 PM
23 teams, more than half of them shitty. Yet still 16 out of 23 teams made the playoffs.

The thing that distinguished the non-MVP level player having Pistons was defense and toughness, and that was by the very late 80’s. Most of the decade consisted of shit strategy and soft approach to the game. Little defensive mindedness.

Absolute shit era. A few high level peaks and primes but every decade has them.

It’s really an indefensible point to believe the 80’s were even good in a way that stands up to time. Let alone the best, ever.

light
08-10-2022, 04:12 AM
Except for the fact that players didn't take care of their bodies and smoked cigarettes and drank beers at halftime and did tons of coke in general and also steroids. Yes, except for those things.

FKAri
08-10-2022, 10:28 AM
Not overall but the late 80s is the pinnacle of American basketball in terms of talent.

8Ball
08-10-2022, 10:40 AM
The 4 decades since the introduction of the 3 point line:

1. 2010s
2. 1980s
3. 2000s
4. 1990s

The 2020s are so far shaping up to be somewhere between #2 and #3.

2020s shaping up to be #2 pretty definitively.

Luka / Giannis / LeBron / Jokic / Curry / Durant

8Ball
08-10-2022, 10:42 AM
I'm now convinced that MJ's prime was actually 85-91':

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uamkj03x7Rs

It makes me wonder about the 80's where a couple stacked super-teams dominated - a player was lucky to be on those teams.. Only in the 90's where many teams had similar talent levels (parity), did the cream rise to the top with no luck needed.

If MJ's prime was 85-91, then the bulls winning 72 games in 96 was about his team being the most stacked of all time, until the Warriors won 73 in 2016.

I'm glad you admitted this.

3ba11
08-10-2022, 01:28 PM
If MJ's prime was 85-91, then the bulls winning 72 games in 96 was about his team being the most stacked of all time, until the Warriors won 73 in 2016.

I'm glad you admitted this.

That's just how great he was that he could be MVP, scoring champ and 1st team defense despite being 70% of his athletic peak

Jordan had 100% athleticism from 85-88'... 95% in 89-90'..... 85-90% from 91-93'.... And 65-75% from 96-98'

Look at the video - he was otherworldly from 85-88'

TheGoatest
08-10-2022, 01:44 PM
2020s shaping up to be #2 pretty definitively.

Luka / Giannis / LeBron / Jokic / Curry / Durant

Could be right, we'll wait and see where Luka and Giannis end up in the all-time rankings. They are sure to dominate the 20s. In any case, it is a truly beastly accomplishment to win a championship as the Finals MVP at the age of 35 years and 10 months in a season where a possible top 10 all-time player Giannis was MVP and DPOY and another possible top 10 Luka was All-NBA 1st team.