PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley vs Analytics - How Good Was Charles Barkley? (Interesting Video)

Round Mound
10-27-2020, 01:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXw5RVGOIio

:rockon:

dankok8
10-27-2020, 02:00 AM
Just watched it. Nice video! Barkley really was a force offensively, one of the best ever on that end of the floor.

Ainosterhaspie
10-27-2020, 02:26 AM
One of my favorite players in the 90s along with Robinson. Loved that Suns team and his Olympics performance.

Horatio33
10-27-2020, 04:03 AM
Is it only interesting because it supports your Barkley positions?

Phoenix
10-27-2020, 05:53 AM
Most talented offensive PF in my book. And no, that doesn't mean there obviously aren't other great PFs who do or did certain things better. I'm talking the totality of his offensive game.

Roundball_Rock
10-27-2020, 10:09 AM
Most talented offensive PF in my book. And no, that doesn't mean there obviously aren't other great PFs who do or did certain things better. I'm talking the totality of his offensive game.

Agreed. Does anyone even have a legit case over him as an offensive PF?

Round Mound
10-27-2020, 07:50 PM
Is it only interesting because it supports your Barkley positions?

I've always said that Barkley was the best offensive PF Ever. What i did find interesting is that Chuck himself doesn't value analytics as much as others, even though they all point to Barkley in his prime & peak to be atleast a Top 10 Player Ever. If you watched Barkley before injuries and gaining weight before age 33 you know how really good he was before.

goozeman
10-27-2020, 08:05 PM
Barkley was that era's Kevin Durant imho.

Phoenix
10-28-2020, 03:27 AM
Agreed. Does anyone even have a legit case over him as an offensive PF?

Noone comes to mind. He wasn't a shooter, but could shoot with ok range. Wasn't McHale on the block but had an underrated package of post moves, up and unders, used the glass and his body well to create angles, could finish with both touch and power, face up and take slower guys off the dribble, could run the break and was a good transition passer/playmaker. Had great read/react offensive IQ.

RoundMoundOfReb
10-28-2020, 05:28 AM
I'd take Nowitzki as an offensive 4 over him. That's probably it though. Unless we're counting some of these modern guys like durant, lebron, kawhi who often play the 4 in the playoffs. or someone like Bird who almost certainly plays the 4 exclusively today.

Phoenix
10-28-2020, 06:32 AM
Dirk is obviously a better shooter. Chuck is quite easily a more potent interior force, finisher, driver, ballhandler facilitate/pass better.

Roundball_Rock
10-28-2020, 10:30 AM
Dirk is obviously a better shooter. Chuck is quite easily a more potent interior force, finisher, driver, ballhandler facilitate/pass better.

Yeah. That is why I give Barkley the edge. Dirk may be #2, either him or Malone.

AussieSteve
10-29-2020, 01:44 AM
Barkley was incredible, but found himself in an unfortunate situation that prevented him from reaching the top 10 GOAT status he was capable of.

If a) he found himself on a good team throughout his 20s, or b) he didn't face the Jordan Bulls 3x in his peak years, or c) he didn't succumb to a debilitating back injury immediately after Jordan left the league for the first time, he'd likely have 2+ rings, be considered top 10 all time and rival Duncan as the GOAT PF.

Here's a fun fact: If we ignore the pre-1980 high pace, low fg% era (so the last 40 years), Barkley is #1 all time in BOTH offensive and defensive rebounds per game in the playoffs. This is an incredible feat in and of itself... but the dude was 6'5!! It's actually ridiculous.

MadDog
10-29-2020, 01:47 AM
KG and Barkley are probably interchangeable. Barkley was definitely the best offensive PF though. Both in the numbers and with the eye test.

AussieSteve
10-29-2020, 02:08 AM
KG and Barkley are probably interchangeable. Barkley was definitely the best offensive PF though. Both in the numbers and with the eye test.

KG never scored more than 35 points in a playoff game. Not once in his career.

I don't care how good he was defensively, he didn't have the ability to take over a game on offense. Barkley, Dirk, Malone > KG.

Edit: not to mention my post above that literally places Barkley in the GOAT rebounder conversation imo. Barkley >> KG

Round Mound
10-29-2020, 02:52 AM
KG never scored more than 35 points in a playoff game. Not once in his career.

I don't care how good he was defensively, he didn't have the ability to take over a game on offense. Barkley, Dirk, Malone > KG.

Edit: not to mention my post above that literally places Barkley in the GOAT rebounder conversation imo. Barkley >> KG

KG fit better as a 2nd otion than 1st. He had great stats in Minnesota but in the play-offs he declined scoring and FG% wise. He was an all around baller but his impact was not really that great. Before i used to be amazed by his stats but seeing play eye test he was a bit overrated. Duncan, Barkkey, Malone and McHale where more difficult to stop.

tpols
10-29-2020, 04:27 AM

except a million times tougher.

Phoenix
10-29-2020, 05:59 AM

Had he joined the Bulls in 92 after losing to them and won a few rings, sure.

Reggie43
10-29-2020, 06:06 AM
Barkley was great and all but you dont have to minimize Garnett's impact on his teams to just prove a point. Pretty sure they could be both amazing players regardless of who you think is better.