PDA

View Full Version : Who got the best stats in NBA History?

Gus Hemmingway
10-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Discuss

Number34
10-27-2020, 11:55 AM
Wilt Chamberlain.

TheGoatest
10-27-2020, 12:47 PM
Wilt Chamberlain.

Not in the playoffs, and especially finals:

https://images2.imagebam.com/15/93/62/6b94171357565443.png

coastalmarker99
10-28-2020, 05:31 AM

Why don't people like you understand that Wilt sacrificed his scoring numbers in the playoffs after 1966 to become more of an all-round player?

And for the record Wilt has numerous triple-doubles and quadruple doubles in the playoffs and the finals and most likely has by far the most of any player all time.

As Wilt in his playoff career with the 81 known playoff games of recorded block shots that we have of him blocked a total of 590 shots, as a result, Wilt averaged 7.3 blocks per game in the playoffs which is just flat out insane when you add that to his already mindblowing numbers in both the playoffs and regular season.

Oh, and if we include Wilt's playoff game block totals before his '65 post-season. He may have had a dozen or more playoff games of 10+ blocks, and likely several more 30 point, and 20 point triple-doubles. Maybe even 40 or 50 point triple-doubles.

you could argue that these blocked shot games were not official, but newspaper recaps have credited Chamberlain with known recorded blocks in those games. There are at least two more playoff games in my notes prior to 1965 where Wilt allegedly had triple-doubles:

22.03.1962 56 pts 36 rebs 12 blocks 1 assist vs Syracuse in the clinching G5 (after his coach asks Wilt for superhuman performance before the game)

16.04.1964 39 pts 30 rebs 12 blocks vs Hawks in G7.

Also, the 1969 Game 7 where Wilt blocked 10 shots which means another triple-double. And there is a game from the 1967 Finals where according to his coach Wilt blocked 15 shots which I think according to my memory was game one of that series and the very next game of that series if I can recall Wilt got himself quadruple-double. Off course there are at a lot more games where he had 10+ blocks but we will never know for sure the exact number.

But we know that during Chamberlain, last playoff run he averaged 7 ppg in his first 10 games during '73 playoffs (49 in 7 games vs Bulls and 21 or 22 in first 3 games vs Warriors. Which proves just how much impact Chamberlain had even past his prime years as even if you take away his scoring you're still getting a player that is grabbing you 25 rebounds a night blocking 8 to 10 shots as well and also setting up teammates for dimes with his ridiculous outlet passing.

coastalmarker99
10-28-2020, 06:00 AM

You should know that had Wilt been so inclined, he could have SCORED FAR more in his career. Instead, he continued to do whatever his coaches asked of him. In his first seven seasons, he averaged 39.4 PPG...COMBINED. In the last game of his Last "scoring" season, in the 65-66 game five of the ECF's, he put up a 46-34 game against Russell so he could still put up monster scoring numbers in the playoffs if he wanted to.

However, his new coach in the 66-67 season Alex Hannum the only coach to defeat the Celtics dynasty at that point in time asked Wilt to facilitate on the offensive end. The result was that Wilt's scoring dropped from 33.5 ppg down to 24.1 ppg. From the 66-67 season thru the 68-69 season, Wilt averaged 24.1 ppg, 24.3 ppg, and 20.5 ppg. Was it because he could no longer score? Well, after Rick Barry led the NBA in scoring in the 66-67 season, he "thanked" Wilt for "letting him" win the scoring title. Furthermore, Wilt had the HIGH games in the 66-67 (58 point game), 67-68 (52, 53, 53, and 68), and 68-69 seasons (60 and 66.)

And, when he wanted to score in those seasons, he did. For instance, near the end of the '67-68 season, he wanted to show the Lakers, who were interested in him, that he could still score. He put up a 53 point game. The Lakers did trade for him, but his new coach, Butch Van Breda Kolf, wanted Wilt to defer to West and Baylor in the Laker offense. Wilt complied. However, when SI ran an article claiming that Wilt could no longer score, he erupted for a 60 point game the very next day. And, he followed that up with a 66 point game (on 29-35 shooting) a few days later.

Continuing, when the Lakers fired Van Breda Kolf, following his incompetent decision to keep Wilt on the bench in game seven of the Finals, they brought in Joe Mullaney before the 69-70 season. Mullaney immediately went to Wilt and asked him to be the focal point of the offense. Wilt responded by averaging 32.2 ppg over the course of the first nine games (with games of 33, 35, 37, 38, 42 and 43 points.) Unfortunately, Chamberlain suffered a devastating knee injury in that ninth game (33 points on 13-13 shooting BTW.) And, while he came back WAY AHEAD of even the most optimistic medical opinion, he was nowhere near 100%, and in fact, it affected his lateral mobility to the point that he was never quite the same offensively after that.

Having said that, though a heavily injured Wilt in the playoffs that year would average 22.1 points and 22.2 rebounds on 54 percent shooting over 18 playoff games before his Lakers eventually lost in seven games to the New York Knicks.

In any case, had Chamberlain wanted to stat pad his scoring numbers past 1966 he would have easily have put the career ppg average out of sight for Jordan in both the regular season and playoffs.

starface
10-28-2020, 06:08 AM
Check his $tat$ ;)

Baller789
10-28-2020, 06:28 AM
Because Lebronstans can't accept that Wilt is a far more dominant player than their insecure hero.

TheGoatest
10-28-2020, 07:13 AM
Why don't people like you understand that Wilt sacrificed his scoring numbers in the playoffs after 1966 to become more of an all-round player?

And for the record Wilt has numerous triple-doubles and quadruple doubles in the playoffs and the finals and most likely has by far the most of any player all time.

As Wilt in his playoff career with the 81 known playoff games of recorded block shots that we have of him blocked a total of 590 shots, as a result, Wilt averaged 7.3 blocks per game in the playoffs which is just flat out insane when you add that to his already mindblowing numbers in both the playoffs and regular season.

Oh, and if we include Wilt's playoff game block totals before his '65 post-season. He may have had a dozen or more playoff games of 10+ blocks, and likely several more 30 point, and 20 point triple-doubles. Maybe even 40 or 50 point triple-doubles.

you could argue that these blocked shot games were not official, but newspaper recaps have credited Chamberlain with known recorded blocks in those games. There are at least two more playoff games in my notes prior to 1965 where Wilt allegedly had triple-doubles:

22.03.1962 56 pts 36 rebs 12 blocks 1 assist vs Syracuse in the clinching G5 (after his coach asks Wilt for superhuman performance before the game)

Also, the 1969 Game 7 where Wilt blocked 10 shots which means another triple-double. And there is a game from the 1967 Finals where according to his coach Wilt blocked 15 shots which I think according to my memory was game one of that series and the very next game of that series if I can recall Wilt got himself quadruple-double. Off course there are at a lot more games where he had 10+ blocks but we will never know for sure the exact number.

But we know that during Chamberlain, last playoff run he averaged 7 ppg in his first 10 games during '73 playoffs (49 in 7 games vs Bulls and 21 or 22 in first 3 games vs Warriors. Which proves just how much impact Chamberlain had even past his prime years as even if you take away his scoring you're still getting a player that is grabbing you 25 rebounds a night blocking 8 to 10 shots as well and also setting up teammates for dimes with his ridiculous outlet passing.

Yeah, it was especially nice of him to sacrifice his free throw percentage :rolleyes:, which was even worse than his already terrible regular season free throw percentage. And his finals free throw percentage was even worse than his even more terrible playoffs ft%. I guess he did that in order to "be a better all-round player". Or maybe because he was SHOOK when it came to the playoffs.

Regular season career ppg: 30.1
Playoff career ppg: 22.5

Regular season career fg%: .540
Playoff career fg%: .522

Regular season career ft%: .511
Playoff career ft%: .465

Regular season career PER: 26.1
Playoff career PER: 22.7

By far the worst drop combination in playoff ppg (7.6) and PER (3.4) compared to his regular season averages of any all-time great.
The combination of these two drops simply dwarf those of other "regular-season-only performers" like David Robinson (3.0 drop in ppg, 3.2 drop in PER) and James Harden (1.7 drop in ppg, 2.0 drop in PER).

Wilt does not belong in the GOAT discussion, unless we're strictly talking about the regular season GOAT.

Psileas
10-28-2020, 01:12 PM
Yeah, it was especially nice of him to sacrifice his free throw percentage :rolleyes:, which was even worse than his already terrible regular season free throw percentage. And his finals free throw percentage was even worse than his even more terrible playoffs ft%. I guess he did that in order to "be a better all-round player". Or maybe because he was SHOOK when it came to the playoffs.

Yeah, he was so "shook" when he shot an almost career low of 38.8% in the 1967 playoffs, I mean all he did in the meanwhile was destroying the Royals by posting some of the most absurd stats ever, then Bill Russell and the Celtics, then Nate Thurmond and the Warriors. Terrified of the playoffs indeed. :lol
By the way, learn some proper English, illiterate bum. It's "shaken", not "shook", regardless of how many times this stupidity has been repeated here.

Regular season career ppg: 30.1
Playoff career ppg: 22.5

Regular season career fg%: .540
Playoff career fg%: .522

Regular season career ft%: .511
Playoff career ft%: .465

Regular season career PER: 26.1
Playoff career PER: 22.7

By far the worst drop combination in playoff ppg (7.6) and PER (3.4) compared to his regular season averages of any all-time great.
The combination of these two drops simply dwarf those of other "regular-season-only performers" like David Robinson (3.0 drop in ppg, 3.2 drop in PER) and James Harden (1.7 drop in ppg, 2.0 drop in PER).

Wilt does not belong in the GOAT discussion, unless we're strictly talking about the regular season GOAT.

Yeah, no surprise you're statistically illiterate as well. This crap has been debunked so many times that only ignoramuses keep parroting the blatant lies raw stats lead them to.

HoopsNY
10-28-2020, 01:31 PM

Bran stans don't know how to contextualize anything, let alone how to do an analysis based on historical evidence. I feel sorry for this generation. They're literally the dumbest box of tools walking around that depend more on memes and social media than any critical analysis of a subject.

Lord only knows what the future of this country looks like when every writing piece done by this generation looks like a friggin Tweet storm. God help us.

HoopsNY
10-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Yeah, he was so "shook" when he shot an almost career low of 38.8% in the 1967 playoffs, I mean all he did in the meanwhile was destroying the Royals by posting some of the most absurd stats ever, then Bill Russell and the Celtics, then Nate Thurmond and the Warriors. Terrified of the playoffs indeed. :lol
By the way, learn some proper English, illiterate bum. It's "shaken", not "shook", regardless of how many times this stupidity has been repeated here.

Yeah, no surprise you're statistically illiterate as well. This crap has been debunked so many times that only ignoramuses keep parroting the blatant lies raw stats lead them to.

You expect grammar from these simpletons? :roll:

dankok8
10-28-2020, 02:41 PM
Regular Season: Wilt
Playoffs: Jordan

Roundball_Rock
10-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Wilt but I will nominate KAJ since MJ, LeBron have already been mentioned. Look at his prime numbers.

KAJ 1970-1980 RS: 28/14/5 59% TS with 1 steal, 3.5 blocks
KAJ 1970-1980 PO: 30/16/4 57% TS with 1 steal, 3.4 blocks

His career averages are dragged down because he played so long.
He played 11 seasons after turning 30; MJ played 5 (plus 17 games in 95'). LeBron has benefited from changes (incl. pace) that have increased stats across the board and masked his decline from his peak years (if you take his 20' PO stats at face value, he is better than he ever was in his peak years in Miami, which obviously is ridiculous).

LonelyOwl
10-28-2020, 05:21 PM
LeBron James

LonelyOwl
10-28-2020, 05:22 PM
Regular Season: Wilt
Playoffs: JordanHow can it be Jordan when LeBron has more points, assists, rebounds,steals,blocks, triple doubles and wins in the playoffs?

I swear you Jordan stans are still stuck in 1998 or something :oldlol:

coastalmarker99
10-28-2020, 11:29 PM
Wilt but I will nominate KAJ since MJ, LeBron have already been mentioned. Look at his prime numbers.

KAJ 1970-1980 RS: 28/14/5 59% TS with 1 steal, 3.5 blocks
KAJ 1970-1980 PO: 30/16/4 57% TS with 1 steal, 3.4 blocks

His career averages are dragged down because he played so long.
He played 11 seasons after turning 30; MJ played 5 (plus 17 games in 95'). LeBron has benefited from changes (incl. pace) that have increased stats across the board and masked his decline from his peak years (if you take his 20' PO stats at face value, he is better than he ever was in his peak years in Miami, which obviously is ridiculous).

Yeah, true but in all honestly I think what gets forgotten by most people is that Kareem was better as an individual player when he with the bucks and not the Lakers as Kareem best years in my view were from 1970 to 1974. And I think the stats and awards can help back me up on my claim that Kareem was better as a buck then he was as a Laker.

Shooter
10-29-2020, 08:12 PM
Playoffs? LBJ

RS? Who gives a shit :lol

Honor Boost
10-29-2020, 09:24 PM
I don't think you can convince any logical being from choosing anyone except LeBron. He has collected so many playoff records it looks like a video game record book at this point.

dankok8
10-30-2020, 12:49 AM
How can it be Jordan when LeBron has more points, assists, rebounds,steals,blocks, triple doubles and wins in the playoffs?

Best stats doesn't mean best totals... Otherwise Karl Malone is a top 2 scorer all time.

TheGoatest
10-30-2020, 04:38 AM

LMAO @ talking about "proper English" about a well-known slang word:

https://images.rapgenius.com/abd65c6728649a782163ba0f06154199.480x270x23.gif

while at the same time posting this: "all he did in the meanwhile was destroying the Royals by posting some of the most absurd stats ever"

https://live.staticflickr.com/3207/3148726639_d0f871777d.jpg

:roll:

All I was about to be doing was pointed the grammar error you happened to have been about to committed. :roll:

HylianNightmare
10-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Wilt Chamberlain.

Thread

And1AllDay
11-28-2020, 02:49 AM
How can it be Jordan when LeBron has more points, assists, rebounds,steals,blocks, triple doubles and wins in the playoffs?

:roll::oldlol:

pandiani17
11-28-2020, 05:40 AM
Wilt Chamberlain.

/Thread.

Gotterdammerung
11-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Wilt Chamberlain.

A few fun facts:

Games with 30+ points, 30+ rebounds:
Wilt Chamberlain: 124
Everyone else: 31 (Walt Bellamy 4, Bob Pettit 3, Bill Russell 3, Baylor 2, Hayes 2)

60 point games:
Wilt: 32
Bryant: 6
Jordan: 5
Baylor: 4
Harden: 4

Total number of NBA players who averaged 30 points and 20 rebounds per game for their entire career:
1. Wilt Chamberlain

Most consecutive seasons leading the NBA in scoring while averaging over 30 ppg:

Jordan: 7 times
Chamberlain: 7
Harden: 3
McAdoo: 3

Longest 30-points streak:
1. Chamberlain: 65

Most consecutive games averaging 40+ ppg:
Chamberlain: 515
Harden: 34
Baylor: 33
Bryant: 23
Barry: 22

Players to score 50+ points three games in a row:
Chamberlain: 10
Baylor: 1
Bryant: 1
Jordan: 1

Oldest Finals MVP ever:

Abdul Jabbar: 38 years old (26 ppg, 9 rpg, 5 apg)
James: 35 (30 ppg, 12 rpg, 8 apg)
Chamberlain: 35 (19 ppg, 23 rpg, 3 apg)
Jordan: 35 (34 ppg, 4 rpg, 2 apg)

:oldlol:

ELITEpower23
11-28-2020, 10:04 PM
I've long known that Wilt and Jordan were powerhouses in the regular season but when the lights got brighter and the pressure turned up, they underperformed in the playoffs.

coastalmarker99
11-29-2020, 09:10 AM
A few fun facts:

Games with 30+ points, 30+ rebounds:
Wilt Chamberlain: 124
Everyone else: 31 (Walt Bellamy 4, Bob Pettit 3, Bill Russell 3, Baylor 2, Hayes 2)

60 point games:
Wilt: 32
Bryant: 6
Jordan: 5
Baylor: 4
Harden: 4

Total number of NBA players who averaged 30 points and 20 rebounds per game for their entire career:
1. Wilt Chamberlain

Most consecutive seasons leading the NBA in scoring while averaging over 30 ppg:

Jordan: 7 times
Chamberlain: 7
Harden: 3
McAdoo: 3

Longest 30-points streak:
1. Chamberlain: 65

Most consecutive games averaging 40+ ppg:
Chamberlain: 515
Harden: 34
Baylor: 33
Bryant: 23
Barry: 22

Players to score 50+ points three games in a row:
Chamberlain: 10
Baylor: 1
Bryant: 1
Jordan: 1

Oldest Finals MVP ever:

Abdul Jabbar: 38 years old (26 ppg, 9 rpg, 5 apg)
James: 35 (30 ppg, 12 rpg, 8 apg)
Chamberlain: 35 (19 ppg, 23 rpg, 3 apg)
Jordan: 35 (34 ppg, 4 rpg, 2 apg)

:oldlol:

Wilt was just flat out ridiculous as a player and nobody I repeat nobody comes close to Wilt stats-wise and if blocks and steals were tracked for him when he played his already mindblowing stats would look even better :bowdown:

Funny fact about Wilt as I recently thumbed through the March ‘72 issue of SPORT, it referenced 35-year-old Wilt Chamberlain’s 32 PTS/34 REB/12 BLK performance against Philly in the midst of the Lakers’ 33-game win streak.

Shooter
11-29-2020, 12:27 PM
Wilt was just flat out ridiculous as a player and nobody I repeat nobody comes close to Wilt stats-wise and if blocks and steals were tracked for him when he played his already mindblowing stats would look even better :bowdown:

Funny fact about Wilt as I recently thumbed through the March ‘72 issue of SPORT, it referenced 35-year-old Wilt Chamberlain’s 32 PTS/34 REB/12 BLK performance against Philly in the midst of the Lakers’ 33-game win streak.

Wilt hasnt been top 5 in any playoff stats for a while now. Probably since the 80s? You do realize its 2020 now and LJ has all the records now?

LeBron Playoff Records
-Points, LBJ, 1st
-Steals, LBJ, 1st
-Game winners, LBJ, 1st
-Elim. game ppg, LBJ, 1st
-Triple Doubles, LBJ, 2nd
-Finals Trip-Dub, LBJ, 1st
-Most 30 pt games, LBJ,1st
-FMVPs, LBJ, 2nd
-Offensive WS, LBJ, 1st
-Total Win Shares, LBJ, 1st
-VORP, LBJ, 1st