PDA

View Full Version : COTY Won the chip only 2/20 times in the last 20 years.

BigKAT
11-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Can you guess who it was?

Why do you think Coach of the Year often doesn't go to the best team?
Do we tend to overlook the 1st seeds in either conferences? when it comes to COTY? Because the 1st seed has won the chip pretty often in the last 20 years.

What do you think?

CelticBaller
11-05-2020, 07:10 PM
You mean the same year? My guess would be Pop

Kiddlovesnets
11-05-2020, 07:11 PM
'cause COTY is usually awarded to the coach that takes the team to more wins than previous season(s), but not necessarily the best record. For instance, in 2015 Budenholzer won COTY over Steve Kerr, since the Hawks had a much bigger margin of improvement on record, going from 38 wins to 60(though Id argue that going from 51 to 67 is equally if not even more impressive). The COTY is more like MIP rather than MVP award for players, how many MIP players won titles? And you get the idea now.

SouBeachTalents
11-05-2020, 07:17 PM
It’s really not that complicated, they’re typically not going to give the coach of a team reeling off multiple titles and with the best rosters COTY, hence why Phil Jackson has won once in his entire career

Wally450
11-05-2020, 08:08 PM
Did Doc Rivers win it in 2008? Probably Steve Kerr in 2016 also.

FireDavidKahn
11-05-2020, 09:43 PM
Nick Nurse?

baudkarma
11-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Pop did it in '03 and '14. I only know this because I'm a Spurs fan.

In most seasons, the title is won by one of the two or three best teams in the league. Coaches rarely get the credit when a great team plays great. The perception is that a coach whose team has superior talent just has to roll the ball out there and let his players do their thing. The only way the coach of a team with great talent can win COTY is if his team does something extraordinary... a record setting win total, an impressive winning streak, something like that.

So most years, COTY goes to a coach whose team exceeded expectations. A team that was expected to miss the playoffs instead wins a fifth or sixth seed, and everyone goes "Wow, what a great coaching job!". That's the reason so many COTY winners are fired a season or two after winning the award. The successful season raises expectations, the following season the team reverts back to form and the coach gets the blame.

CelticBaller
11-06-2020, 09:05 AM
Did Doc Rivers win it in 2008? Probably Steve Kerr in 2016 also.

I think Byron Scott won in 2008 and Steve Kerr lost in 2016

ArbitraryWater
11-06-2020, 09:14 AM
COTY goes to some overachieving RS team which usually has no chance against an already established pre-season favorite

┌∩┐(﹒︠益﹒︡)┌∩┐
11-06-2020, 09:39 AM
COTY goes to some overachieving RS team which usually has no chance against an already established pre-season favorite

Precisely. It would holds more weight if it was voted on after the playoffs

Wally450
11-06-2020, 10:35 AM
I think Byron Scott won in 2008 and Steve Kerr lost in 2016

Jesus, what a brainfart. :facepalm

BigKAT
11-06-2020, 08:06 PM
You mean the same year? My guess would be Pop

Ding ding ding.

You got it right.

'cause COTY is usually awarded to the coach that takes the team to more wins than previous season(s), but not necessarily the best record. For instance, in 2015 Budenholzer won COTY over Steve Kerr, since the Hawks had a much bigger margin of improvement on record, going from 38 wins to 60(though Id argue that going from 51 to 67 is equally if not even more impressive). The COTY is more like MIP rather than MVP award for players, how many MIP players won titles? And you get the idea now.

And I like your explanation I guess.
I never thought about COTY in these terms. But now that I do, I do suppose it is more similar to MIP than it is to MVP.
It's almost an award for Most Improved TEAM. Or well, Team That Didn't Suck As Much As We Expected.