PDA

View Full Version : Apple Silicon Macbooks are here. How do they stack up against the Dell XPS 15?

IGOTGAME
11-10-2020, 10:57 PM
Legit just ordered a Dell XPS 15 wit 10th gen intel processors yesterday. I'm wondering should I cancel the order and cop a Macbook Air/Pro. I've never used MacOS but silcion Macs look good and iCult doesn't seem that bad?

diamenz
11-10-2020, 11:07 PM
for gaming, school, leisure?

whatever the case, instead of a dell you should try building your own if you have the time and patience. it will be cheaper and also easier to upgrade down the road. i honestly know jack about mac, but i think in general they're better for work/school.

IGOTGAME
11-10-2020, 11:13 PM
for gaming, school, leisure?

whatever the case, instead of a dell you should try building your own if you have the time and patience. it will be cheaper and also easier to upgrade down the road. i honestly know jack about mac, but i think in general they're better for work/school.

Just for leisure, I usaully game on console (mobile is Switch). I may have to do some work on it but it will all be with Remote Desktop so it mostly based on the wifi connection. I'd like a good screen and just something that is reliable and will last me a while with no issues.

I've been avoiding Mac for so long but maybe cult is right. Apple has great quality control and it all works together very well.

jstern
11-11-2020, 02:57 AM
Since it's a different architecture, current Mac apps have to be ported to be native, and will run in an emulated manner. Which means there's going to be a performance hit.

And there's also the whole problem of going to an OS that you're not very familiar with. As a Power user, when I first got a Mac it was horrible. If you're the type of person that likes to tinker with every aspect of your OS, it will cripple many of the things you're used to doing. Unless your more of a casual computer person and the main thing that you do with a computer is use the web browser, I wouldn't recommend it.