PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here not all in on Ja Morant?

Kblaze8855
11-18-2020, 12:35 PM
I feel like he’s pretty universally enjoyed and respected but in a world top 5 all time types have full time haters nobody is too good to have detractors. From college(when I thought he looked like John Wall) to now he just looks like such a sure thing and so easy to be a fan of. Highlight wise he’s ridiculous:

https://youtu.be/sVt6EW16WZk

He’s come up clutch at times. Plays hard. Shares the ball. He needs a good sidekick(or equal) long term but what’s not to like?

But I know one of you must not be buying in. I just wanna know who it is.

highwhey
11-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion, but I’m weary of any ultra athletic pg... one injury away from massive decline.

Ben Simmons
11-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Depends what you mean by all in. I think he's a hard worker, athletic, and going to be a star but guards have to extraordinary to excite me in todays league

MadDog
11-18-2020, 12:49 PM
Ja reminds me of a craftier but more explosive John Wall. Eventually he'll be a superstar and Top 5 in the league.

PeroAntic
11-18-2020, 12:51 PM
How can anyone not buy into Ja. Hes simply unique, the most fun player to watch in the league, and hes not just empty entertainment, he brings the Ws too.

Carbine
11-18-2020, 12:58 PM
I'm not buying into him as the best PG of his era.

I'm buying that he's an all-star.

k0kakw0rld
11-18-2020, 01:22 PM
Westbrook 2.0

Kblaze8855
11-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Westbrook 2.0

Though I assume you meant that as an insult Russ has had a better career than it’s easy to replicate. 10 time all star, 8-9 time all nba, mvp, 2 time leading scorer, 3 triple double seasons and similar or more playoff success than most of the hall of fame(believe it or not...it’s true)?

Russ is a high hurdle to clear.

Horatio33
11-18-2020, 01:45 PM
Love everything about him. Only thing that worries me is the way he lands after some of his more athletic dunks. Very dangerous and I hope it doesn't cost him what should be a great career.

ralph_i_el
11-18-2020, 01:59 PM
Ja reminds me of a craftier but more explosive John Wall. Eventually he'll be a superstar and Top 5 in the league.

Similar playstyle, but he's significantly smaller in frame than Wall. Not that Wall used that frame much for things besides some highlight dunks.

Of topic, but I'm hoping Wall gets more post touches this year. He's kind of unstoppable when he gets the ball in the triple threat inside 18ft.

red1
11-18-2020, 07:31 PM
he's the next one. sure-fire superstar.

grizzlies need to make sure they don't **** it up.

tanibanana
11-18-2020, 07:37 PM
He has high floor & ceiling.

Axe
11-18-2020, 07:43 PM
How can anyone not buy into Ja. Hes simply unique, the most fun player to watch in the league, and hes not just empty entertainment, he brings the Ws too.
He has great potential but i think he needs to learn how to minimize his cockiness and be humble until his team becomes more successful.

NBAGOAT
11-18-2020, 07:48 PM
not quite since his landing mechanics are a bit reckless.

Doranku
11-18-2020, 07:50 PM
He has great potential but i think he needs to learn how to minimize his cockiness and be humble until his team becomes more successful.

There's a difference between being cocky and being confident. Ja doesn't really strike me as a cocky guy, he just plays with a lot of emotion.

Axe
11-18-2020, 07:55 PM
There's a difference between being cocky and being confident. Ja doesn't really strike me as a cocky guy, he just plays with a lot of emotion.
Sure but i can still remember he used to taunt about facing the lakers in the first round of the playoffs and insulting iggy after the latter admitted that he didn't feel like playing for memphis due to his desire to play for chip-contending teams.

ELITEpower23
11-20-2020, 10:43 PM
I am definitely buying into Morant, he is our hometown draw right now so I can't complain! 1st year and puts up 18-7-3? YES PLEASE. People got on Ingram for not being able to score 30 and Ja did this during his 1st season already so there's that. He is hard not to like and I wish we would have made that 8th seed just to give him playoff experience and to see what he can do. I can't expect to much he is only 20 and in his rookie season but I'm excited to see him develop into an all-star player. Nice to see that ROY award back in Memphis after Pau!

ELITEpower23
11-20-2020, 10:46 PM
he's the next one. sure-fire superstar.

grizzlies need to make sure they don't **** it up.

PLUS one

999Guy
11-20-2020, 11:01 PM

Top 5? That’s extremely hard to reach.

CP3, Curry, Westbrook.

Only 3 PG’s in the era to reach top 5 level or close. Ones the greatest shooter ever, ones the most athletic PG ever, and the other is Chris Paul.

I highly doubt he ever leaves peak John Wall level.

Bronbron23
11-20-2020, 11:10 PM
Top 5? That’s extremely hard to reach.

CP3, Curry, Westbrook.

Only 3 PG’s in the era to reach top 5 level or close. Ones the greatest shooter ever, ones the most athletic PG ever, and the other is Chris Paul.

I highly doubt he ever leaves peak John Wall level.

He'll be better than wall. I could definitely see him as a top 5 player in 2 or 3 years. Bron and kawhi will no longer be top 5. That leaves greek, luka, davis and maybe tatum. After that its wide open for the 5th spot. I could easily see him grabbing that 5th spot.

999Guy
11-20-2020, 11:21 PM
He'll be better than wall. I could definitely see him as a top 5 player in 2 or 3 years. Bron and kawhi will no longer be top 5. That leaves greek, luka, davis and maybe tatum. After that its wide open for the 5th spot. I could easily see him grabbing that 5th spot.
So, essentially he’ll be one of the rare PG’s to actually reach that level.

So, I want this to be clear here, he’ll be at least as good as say 08-18 Chris Paul, pick any year of his prime, right?

Because it’s extremely unlikely the 2020’s are about to be some easy decade to be elite in. The talent is astronomical and so is the strategy of teams.

So he’ll be at least as good as GOATbrook from 15-17, as they used to call him.

Or 14-19 Curry level, in JUST 2-3 years.

imdaman99
11-20-2020, 11:22 PM
Flight is not a fan. He had a whole 10+ min video reacting to his highlights and hated on most of them. Yeah this I watched during my bored in the middle of a pandemic days :lol unsubscribed to flight a little after that :lol

F-T-C

Me? Yuge fan. Still butthurt with Adam Silver screwing the Knicks over with the 3rd pick in a 2-person draft. Hope RJ proves me wrong though.

brooks_thompson
11-21-2020, 06:29 AM
I’m expecting a meh second season. Not a sophomore slump, but no real progress either. I think he’ll be the same player as last year. Dunno why I feel this way, as I think a few years down the line he’ll be the best PG in the league. Maybe just the pessimistic Memphis fan in me.

Ja/JJJ backcourt is pretty solid for now though.

oldtimer28
11-21-2020, 07:21 AM
I feel like he’s pretty universally enjoyed and respected but in a world top 5 all time types have full time haters nobody is too good to have detractors. From college(when I thought he looked like John Wall) to now he just looks like such a sure thing and so easy to be a fan of. Highlight wise he’s ridiculous:

https://youtu.be/sVt6EW16WZk

He’s come up clutch at times. Plays hard. Shares the ball. He needs a good sidekick(or equal) long term but what’s not to like?

But I know one of you must not be buying in. I just wanna know who it is.

Completely on board early but I do have the Steve Francis questions too. Morant seems like a winner already though and somehow makes his ugly looking shot work.

Really fun to watch. Hope the best for the guy but also appreciate how difficult it must be to operate at an NBA star level consistently!

Bronbron23
11-21-2020, 10:01 AM
So, essentially he’ll be one of the rare PG’s to actually reach that level.

So, I want this to be clear here, he’ll be at least as good as say 08-18 Chris Paul, pick any year of his prime, right?

Because it’s extremely unlikely the 2020’s are about to be some easy decade to be elite in. The talent is astronomical and so is the strategy of teams.

So he’ll be at least as good as GOATbrook from 15-17, as they used to call him.

Or 14-19 Curry level, in JUST 2-3 years.

Yeah i think he will be. He has all the skills and athleticism to be as good or better than any of those guys. Steph may be tough to reach just because of his shooting but if he can improve in that aspect he could be as good as steph also. He's already better at everything else skill wise. Steph is just a much better and more consistent shooter. He also has the experience and knows the game better. Chris paul has the same advantage. Once ja learns the game a bit more He's gonna be unstoppable.

Mr. Woke
11-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Trae is better than him.

Give me Trae any day of the week over Ja.

Bronbron23
11-21-2020, 10:19 AM
Trae is better than him.

Give me Trae any day of the week over Ja.

He is right now but he's 2 years in. He didn't have a better rookie year. They were literally equal in almost everything. Trae has the potential to be almost as good offensively but much better defensively. Time will tell