PDA

View Full Version : Luka can't play defence

dirkdiggler41
11-20-2020, 08:01 AM
He had 43 points, 17 rebounds and 13 assists plus this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZw7zIiK9UY

Horatio33
11-20-2020, 08:07 AM

(No Dirk homer) indeed.

Stanley Kobrick
11-20-2020, 08:11 AM
it really puts things into perspective when you can find sophomore iconic playoff moments of luka, yet we still can't find one for 32yo stephen curry

fourkicks44
11-20-2020, 08:13 AM

Nobody has been a bigger critic on Luka's defence more than me... however,

They have Josh Richardson now. He is gonna have Luka's back and prop him up big time.

IMHO there is probably no-one in the league Cuban could have reasonably acquired that could fit in better. Great acquisition.

Mavs are looking dangerous, JRich is gonna do wonders for this team.

If all you Mavs' fans loved what Jason Terry did back in the day, you are gonna love what JRich is gonna do.

You heard it here first.

SATAN
11-20-2020, 08:40 AM
Highlights obviously are the be all and end all as opposed to the other 99% of play.

This is how the MJ hero worship started mind you. Tread carefully.

I like the kid but he chases stats. His defense could be better if he wasn't too busy worrying about taking rebounds away from the big men.

The question is, why did you make this thread?

dirkdiggler41
11-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Highlights obviously are the be all and end all as opposed to the other 99% of play.

I like the kid but he chases stats. His defense could be better if he wasn't too busy worrying about taking rebounds away from the big men.

Because I remembered his defence was bad in game 3 (I think it was) and he played great defence in game 4, put up great numbers and had a game-winning shot. I never found a video of it before today. The point is that he can clearly play defence, he just can't be the offensive juggernaut play great defence over 82 games. No one can.

fourkicks44
11-20-2020, 08:48 AM

In all honesty I disagree,

For all of us that were around back then, MJ games were the only ones we could see.

Besides local broadcasts, it was majority Bulls games.

Yeah it was maybe "forced down our throats", but we got to see the whole games, not just highlights.

Just to be clear.

3ball wasn't watching YouTube clips.

Bronbron23
11-20-2020, 09:37 AM

I could find clips of anything on anyone to make them look better than what they are. The fact is that luka up until this point has been pretty bad defensively. He shows glimpses of being a decent defender but he dosnt do it consistently. He's young though. He has lots of time to improve.

TheGoatest
11-20-2020, 09:40 AM
Kevin Love had a great lockdown of Steph Curry to end the 2016 finals. Doesn't change the fact that he was and still is one of the worst defenders at his position in the NBA.
You can make a highlight video of Shaq hitting hundreds of free throws and Steph Curry missing hundreds of free throws.
Highlight videos don't mean jack shit. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Luka is clearly a poor defender. His career is just beginning though and he has plenty of time to improve at this aspect of his game.

PeroAntic
11-20-2020, 10:55 AM
Kevin Love had a great lockdown of Steph Curry to end the 2016 finals. Doesn't change the fact that he was and still is one of the worst defenders at his position in the NBA.
You can make a highlight video of Shaq hitting hundreds of free throws and Steph Curry missing hundreds of free throws.
Highlight videos don't mean jack shit. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Luka is clearly a poor defender. His career is just beginning though and he has plenty of time to improve at this aspect of his game.

Well Steph was clearly not fit during that series. This clip does show that when hes locked in he can stay ahead of his defender, bother him with his size & strength, and has good interception instincts. He has clearly slow feet but he can compensate for that with anticipation and timing, just as he does on offense. He can be a very good defender, but the problem as usual is that most players don't want to play defence like this consistently. Those that do are a different breed.

Jasper
11-20-2020, 11:09 AM

Luka is young he will figure it out offensively and def'ly

HBK_Kliq_2
11-20-2020, 12:13 PM
His defense sucks ass right now. Like Steve Nash level but just 6"8. We will see if he improves.

Kiddlovesnets
11-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Yeah Luka Donshit is a terrible defender, still better than Trae Young though.