PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Lakers vs 2020 Lakers

coastalmarker99
11-23-2020, 08:46 AM
Which Laker team wins and in how many games do they win the series in.

I have the 1972 Lakers winning this series in 6 games as they have the deeper team and better backcourt and also a monster frontcourt with the duo of Happy Hairston and Wilt Chamberlain down there in the middle. Which would prevent Lebron from being as successful at the rim as he is usually nowadays.

And I also think that Wilt would absolutely shut down Davis throughout the course of the series and that West and Goodrich would take turns outplaying the rest of the Lakers supporting cast surrounding Lebron which would give the 1972 Lakers the series win over the 2020 Lakers.

coastalmarker99
11-23-2020, 09:18 AM
Anybody want to give their own reasoning as to who would win in a 7-game series between those two title-winning Laker teams.

SouBeachTalents
11-23-2020, 10:01 AM
Impossible comparison to make, do the '72 Lakers know that 3 pointers are allowed before tip off? Do they have time to practice and game plan for a shot that didn't even exist during their era? And which rules are they playing under?

It'd be similar to asking who wins between the '72 Dolphins and the 2020 Chiefs, their style of play is so dramatically different as are the rules they play under. I bet the Dolphins would be absolutely astounded at the Chiefs passing attack, as well as what the league considers a flag today

While the '72 Lakers were obviously greater in their era, winning just shy of 70 games, I'm not picking a team that didn't have a 3 point attempt the entire season to one who averages 30+ a game

dankok8
11-23-2020, 03:47 PM
I think the Lakers with West and Goodrich could adjust to the 3pt shooting NBA. Both of those guys were sharpshooters and West did take some shots from what would today be 3pt range. I can't imagine him not being a great 3pt shooter.

Of course if send the 1972 Lakers through a time machine they would struggle but so would the 2020 Lakers sent back to 1972. The physicality, the lack of 3pt line forcing more basketball to be played inside where Wilt dominates etc... Historically it's hard not to say the 1972 Lakers are the better team but who would win a game. I don't know to be honest. Depends on the rules, adjustments etc.

aceman
11-24-2020, 04:58 AM
What about the 1949 BAA champion Lakers vs 2020 Lakers??

r0drig0lac
11-24-2020, 08:53 PM
without a 3-point line and with the old rules no current team would beat these guys