PDA

View Full Version : Evan Turner to the Boston Celtics... as an assistant COACH

Smook A.
11-30-2020, 04:03 PM
Safe to say his NBA career was a bust, but wow this news is very random

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/11/30/celtics-hiring-evan-turner-assistant-coach

pandiani17
11-30-2020, 04:43 PM
Isn't he still 30 or something like that? Strange news, and one of the all-time busts that nobody talks about.

FultzNationRISE
11-30-2020, 04:52 PM
Isn't he still 30 or something like that? Strange news, and one of the all-time busts that nobody talks about.

I think people hesitate to call someone a bust if they at least made an effort to have a good career.

It's guys who just never seemed to care, like Anthony Bennett, whom it's much easier to definitively call a bust. Or guys that hardly played due to injury, like Oden.

2ball
11-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Probably will be an amazing coach. High iq

coin24
12-01-2020, 04:10 AM
He played well off the bench in Portland, crazy he couldn’t land a gig somewhere

chocolatethunder
12-01-2020, 09:21 AM
He played well off the bench in Portland, crazy he couldn’t land a gig somewhere

I don’t think it’s a matter of not landing a gig. I’m not sure he wanted to keep playing. He’s funny and smart and will prob be a good coach.

pandiani17
12-01-2020, 01:32 PM
I don’t think it’s a matter of not landing a gig. I’m not sure he wanted to keep playing. He’s funny and smart and will prob be a good coach.

Makes sense. We have seen in the past NBA players suddenly retiring in their early 30s or before, (Larry Sanders, Will Bynum, etc.) I think with the amount of money they earn each year they can afford to retire whenever they please.

TheGreatKabuki
12-01-2020, 01:36 PM
Safe to say his NBA career was a bust, but wow this news is very random

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/11/30/celtics-hiring-evan-turner-assistant-coach

Would not say "Bust"...made millions, was a serviceable player. Didn't live up to his draft pick status but hardly a bust IMO.

pandiani17
12-01-2020, 02:04 PM
Would not say "Bust"...made millions, was a serviceable player. Didn't live up to his draft pick status but hardly a bust IMO.

Don't get me wrong, he is a way more successful person than the 100% of this forum for sure, and one of the most successful people in the world. However, he was a 2nd pick in the draft, and I expect a player that gets chosen there to become an all-star at least. Otherwise, he is not fulfilling his potential. Michael Beasley, Derrick Williams, MKG, Jabari Parker, Wiggins (though he was number 1) are busts for me because they didn't live up to the expectations. It may depend on what you call a bust. I can see that different posters have different opinions about it. But heck, we were watching the other day a video about a reporter saying that LeBron would be a bust if he wasn't a first-ballot HOF and now you guys say a number 2 pick in the draft with no accolades is not a bust. That's a big double-standard.