PDA

View Full Version : How would you describe Kawhi Leonard as a leader?

insidehoops
12-02-2020, 05:07 PM
Different NBA players lead in different ways.

How would you describe Kawhi Leonard as a leader?

Or would you not call him one?

And why?

1987_Lakers
12-02-2020, 05:08 PM
Is Jeff stirring the pot?

light
12-02-2020, 06:29 PM
Different NBA players lead in different ways.

How would you describe Kawhi Leonard as a leader?

Or would you not call him one?

And why?

I wanted to say that Kawhi is "clearly a lead by example type of player" except that his load managing example subverts any other positive example he sets.

So I want to say that I agree with Pop and that Kawhi is not really a leader at all. That doesn't mean that he cannot be a great player or that he cannot be a winner. Some guys are just great players and only that.

bison
12-02-2020, 06:38 PM
I would not consider him a leader. And that’s fine. The best player on the court doesn’t necessarily have to be the leader. I would say Lowry and Duncan fit those roles on his previous teams. However with recent reports that Clippers players got upset for the preferential treatment given to Kawhi and PG13 (apparently they had control over practices times, personal security and got to choose which games they could sit out) shows that Kawhi is not a leader and in fact might be influencing a toxic locker room.

LAmbruh
12-02-2020, 06:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D6KMjg5URA

Smoke117
12-02-2020, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't. You have to be some type of leader to be able to describe how.

Manny98
12-02-2020, 07:10 PM
He's not a leader, never has been

SATAN
12-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Exceedingly bad.

I thought he was gonna step up after his stint with the Raptors. Turns out he's a cancer for the Clippers.

k0kakw0rld
12-02-2020, 09:44 PM
He is a winner.

Goldrush25
12-02-2020, 09:47 PM
I don't think he has any interest in leading.

Embers
12-02-2020, 09:53 PM
Depends

How would you describe a cardboard box with a hat and sunglasses on it as a leader?

HBK_Kliq_2
12-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Great leader because he never gets too high or too low in emotion and it rubs off on his team. Usually anyway, some guys like Lou Williams or Harrell are hopeless though. Lowry said it was Kawhi that was the leader of the raptors 2019 run and they all followed him. Ibaka also went to clippers to be led by Kawhi.

Raptors in 2019 playoffs were losing in multiple series

1-2 vs 76ers
0-2 vs Bucks

Takes a good leader to come back from that. Winning 3 games in warriors arena was also a sign of leadership. The bubble was just tough because shooting percentages were way up, bubble living conditions.

SATAN
12-02-2020, 10:17 PM
The bubble was just tough because shooting percentages were way up,

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GF9OvEwl2B8/hqdefault.jpg

Vino24
12-02-2020, 10:18 PM
Great leader because he never gets too high or too low in emotion and it rubs off on his team. Usually anyway, some guys like Lou Williams or Harrell are hopeless though. Lowry said it was Kawhi that was the leader of the raptors 2019 run and they all followed him. Ibaka also went to clippers to be led by Kawhi.

Raptors in 2019 playoffs were losing in multiple series

1-2 vs 76ers
0-2 vs Bucks

Takes a good leader to come back from that. Winning 3 games in warriors arena was also a sign of leadership. The bubble was just tough because shooting percentages were way up, bubble living conditions.

Thoughts on his leadership last playoffs vs Denver?

LAmbruh
12-02-2020, 10:19 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GF9OvEwl2B8/hqdefault.jpg

:lol

8Ball
12-02-2020, 10:21 PM
If LeBron is 10/10 as a leader.

The Kawhi mute is like 5/10, at best.

He has the emotional IQ of a rock. Team is crumbling around him, looking for a leader and he can't even say a word.

dankok8
12-02-2020, 10:40 PM
Kawhi is a leader by example and people can shit on him all they want but he led my Raps to our only title. His issues are his health but not anything about his game or personality. He's an absolute legend after what he did in the 2019 playoffs. To question his leadership after that is ludicrous.

SATAN
12-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Why is it ludicrous after the recent articles about him (and PG) ruining the Clippers culture? Which was something a lot of people already suspected.

FireDavidKahn
12-02-2020, 11:11 PM
There are no words.

That's literally it.

Mauzah
12-02-2020, 11:24 PM
I have no idea how anyone can cheer for that guy

iamgine
12-02-2020, 11:53 PM
As a leader he's like a Kyle Korver. He just specialize in one thing (leading by example) but not able to do other leadership things.

Which is fine, a lot of ATGs were not great leaders. Out of top 10 GOAT, maybe only a couple or so are great leaders.

Jasper
12-03-2020, 12:06 AM
Kawhi is a leader by example and people can shit on him all they want but he led my Raps to our only title. His issues are his health but not anything about his game or personality. He's an absolute legend after what he did in the 2019 playoffs. To question his leadership after that is ludicrous.

I have to disagree -
1) A true leader , LEADS all the time.
example : ever watch CP3 on the court , on the bench - he is always talking with his players.
2) Kawhi leads by play , and I think when he came to Toronto - that thought they won the gold mine.
He probably lead as often as he could in practice which put him in the position to say 'now give me the ball'
3) As you stated he is a legend .... legend of what ? Toronto
You can' t consider his play last playoffs to get ousted before the western finals is legendary play... it looked like to me as a quitter.

As #2 that is as far as I would go for him as a leader... Spurs tried to instill leadership from him , but Parker and Gio ran the
team more so than he ever did.
If leonard leads his team in 2021 to a western conference series ... I may reconsider , because I doubt the team is PG's..

Shooter
01-17-2021, 01:02 PM
He's not a leader, never has been

+1

n00bie
01-17-2021, 02:55 PM
He's not a leader. A leader needs to be vocal.

The special treatment Kawhi got in Toronto only worked because he was recovering from an injury. If he had stayed in Toronto, and still received special treatment.. I can pretty much guarantee Toronto would have the locker room issues that the Clippers have.

Even tho he's not a leader, it doesnt mean he isnt a great player. You dont need to be the leader to be the best player on the floor.

dankok8
01-17-2021, 04:04 PM
I have to disagree -
1) A true leader , LEADS all the time.
example : ever watch CP3 on the court , on the bench - he is always talking with his players.
2) Kawhi leads by play , and I think when he came to Toronto - that thought they won the gold mine.
He probably lead as often as he could in practice which put him in the position to say 'now give me the ball'
3) As you stated he is a legend .... legend of what ? Toronto
You can' t consider his play last playoffs to get ousted before the western finals is legendary play... it looked like to me as a quitter.

As #2 that is as far as I would go for him as a leader... Spurs tried to instill leadership from him , but Parker and Gio ran the
team more so than he ever did.
If leonard leads his team in 2021 to a western conference series ... I may reconsider , because I doubt the team is PG's..

Kawhi does talk. He's a shy guy in front of the media but he communicates with his teammates. I always laugh when people think of Kawhi as some mute.

There is nothing he could have said to PG13 to make him shoot better. LOL

KennyPowers
01-17-2021, 04:05 PM
6'7. Black. Cornrolls.

Axe
01-17-2021, 04:30 PM
Futile

tpols
01-17-2021, 04:44 PM
Kawhi is not a great vocal leader but so what? Everybody has different strengths. His dad was shot to death in Compton when he was only 17 years old so I imagine that left his mind in a dark reclusive state at a very pivotal age. Not everybody can be perfectly charismatic and upbeat.

DocSlam
01-17-2021, 05:09 PM
Kawhietly Konfident

Akeem34TheDream
01-17-2021, 05:28 PM
He is ok.