PDA

View Full Version : Wilt Chamberlain Shooting Skills

coastalmarker99
12-03-2020, 08:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTTjunK8ojs

It is very nice to see with each new footage I get of the late great Wilt chamberlain that it peels away some of the myths that have been written about him since his retirement in 1973.

Such as he played like Shaq and the only offensive weapon he had was too dunk on helpless short white guys but with each new footage of Wilt I get we see that isn't the case at all.

Also, what do you guys want me to get next for Wilt's career footage.

As I can ether get game 1 of the 1965 Ecf very shortly

Along with the 1967 Ecf game 2 and maybe game 1 or 5 of that series through I might have to enquire to see if footage of those two games is still around. Though I do know that there is some footage of that famous game 5 as there is footage of all of the 76ers screaming Boston is dead Boston is dead.

Or should I focus on getting more footage of Wilt from 1959 to 1964 as those were the years where he scored the most and was also at his most athletic as well?

warriorfan
12-03-2020, 09:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTTjunK8ojs

It is very nice to see with each new footage I get of the late great Wilt chamberlain that it peels away some of the myths that have been written about him since his retirement in 1973.

Such as he played like Shaq and the only offensive weapon he had was too dunk on helpless short white guys but with each new footage of Wilt I get we see that isn't the case at all.

Also, what do you guys want me to get next for Wilt's career footage.

As I can ether get game 1 of the 1965 Ecf very shortly

Along with the 1967 Ecf game 2 and maybe game 1 or 5 of that series through I might have to enquire to see if footage of those two games is still around. Though I do know that there is some footage of that famous game 5 as there is footage of all of the 76ers screaming Boston is dead Boston is dead.

Or should I focus on getting more footage of Wilt from 1959 to 1964 as those were the years where he scored the most and was also at his most athletic as well?

Get early Wilt stuff if you can. It’s probably more rare but people would like seeing one of the greatest athletic freaks ever while they were in their athletic prime.

Psileas
12-03-2020, 09:20 PM
I know 1967 is generally considered Wilt's peak, but earlier, higher scoring Wilt is at his most enjoyable for a casual fan. But there's not really a wrong answer here, especially if you can find extensive footage from Games 1+5 of the '67 Eastern Finals, 2 of the greatest all-around performances ever. Game 3 is also legendary, since it's the all-time rebounding record and, for completion's sake, how about also the 1st half of that damn Game 4? We've been seeing that second half for like 20 years now, we've almost memorized all the plays and there's not a byte of info about the first one.

coastalmarker99
12-03-2020, 11:30 PM
Get early Wilt stuff if you can. It’s probably more rare but people would like seeing one of the greatest athletic freaks ever while they were in their athletic prime.

Yeah I know and it would be enjoyable for a lot of people including myself to get footage of a young Warriors Wilt just mowing down teams with 50,60 and 70 points games.

Along with the pleasure of seeing him doing his freakish athletic stuff that unfortunately has never been shown to the general public rather instead, they show the old broken down Lakers Wilt who was still a great player you know but he was nowhere close to his athletic prime anymore after his knee injury in 1970.

72-10
12-03-2020, 11:38 PM
One overlooked aspect of Wilt's pallet on offense; he was known to use a mid-range fadeaway quite often in games esp. circa late 76ers/early Lakers era for him, although he didn't use it as his bread-and-butter because he didn't have the shot nailed down quite as well as the select few players who have had one since then, but he was the best of his era and better at it than any predecessors to Michael Jordan's use of the move. Many people claim Larry Bird had a consistent fadeaway, though it seems that he faced the basket or otherwise got a look at the basket too much prior to taking the shot most of the time, so he really had more of what we'd call a fallaway (not quite as difficult).

coastalmarker99
12-03-2020, 11:42 PM
I know 1967 is generally considered Wilt's peak, but earlier, higher scoring Wilt is at his most enjoyable for a casual fan. But there's not really a wrong answer here, especially if you can find extensive footage from Games 1+5 of the '67 Eastern Finals, 2 of the greatest all-around performances ever. Game 3 is also legendary, since it's the all-time rebounding record and, for completion's sake, how about also the 1st half of that damn Game 4? We've been seeing that second half for like 20 years now, we've almost memorized all the plays and there's not a byte of info about the first one.

There is a lot of 1967 to 1968 Wilt footage both during the regular season and playoffs of those two years floating around and you have to do some deep digging to find the footage of Wilt and his 76ers but it exists thankfully.

I also have seen some very rare footage of the 1968 Ecf game 7 that some of my contacts in the Nba archive gave me and it is horrible to watch as a Wilt fan as even a very hurt Wilt was being flat-out doubled and even triple-teamed at some points but none of the other 76ers couldn't do anything that game offensively to punish the Celtics for playing that type of defence on Wilt.

So I gained a new perspective on that game as I think if you see the footage of that game seven you can't really blame Wilt for the loss as he couldn't just get the damn ball with all of the Celtics players basically swarming around him and also fronting him all the time just daring the other injured 76ers to shoot from range to beat them which unfortunately they couldn't do.

coastalmarker99
12-03-2020, 11:50 PM
One overlooked aspect of Wilt's pallet on offense; he was known to use a mid-range fadeaway quite often in games esp. circa late 76ers/early Lakers era for him, although he didn't use it as his bread-and-butter because he didn't have the shot nailed down quite as well as the select few players who have had one since then, but he was the best of his era and better at it than any predecessors to Michael Jordan's use of the move. Many people claim Larry Bird had a consistent fadeaway, though it seems that he faced the basket or otherwise got a look at the basket too much prior to taking the shot most of the time, so he really had more of what we'd call a fallaway (not quite as difficult).

Wilt rarely dunked for most of his career as he used mainly that fade away and finger roll to score most of his points throughout his career it was only when he suffered that knee injury in 1970. And lost most of his athleticism afterwards as a result of it that Wilt putaway his fadeaway shot in favour of using his strength to get in close and dunk the ball which is mainly the reason why his field goal percentages were so high during his last two seasons.

coastalmarker99
12-04-2020, 12:21 AM
Wilt Chamberlain flexing a 3 point territory bank shot late in final moments of G6 vs Boston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXWdyF--hE&feature=emb_title