PDA

View Full Version : If you think about it, the NBA is a short career

Walk on Water
12-06-2020, 04:28 PM
When I was a kid, I would hear teachers always say you shouldn't strive to be an athlete because you can't do it forever. I never took them seriously. In my mind, I'll never grow old. I thought it would be an eternity before hitting 20 years old. You look up to these athletes like they're Gods.

It's kinda crazy if you think about it. By the time you're in your late 20s, you're already on your way to retirement. By the time most players hit early 30s, they're either retired or are a never picked up free agent. Can you imagine if everyone else in other careers retired in their 30s because they were too old?

When Garnett or Duncan were in their mid 30s, I didn't think they were just old players, I thought they were just old people. And ironically barely even old enough to be a president. Wow, most players don't play more than 10 years. Remember there was this rap song several of years ago about Nick Van Excel, when he was still playing. Now, it's weird to hear that, because he hasn't played in years.

In the NBA, you're really only considered young for just a few years. By the time you pass 25, you're essentially an aging athlete. It's crazy how now people are calling Curry old. It didn't seem that long ago when he was just transitioning into a superstar. And he's always been called baby faced. And now he's like a senior citizen. Lebron is dominating but people think of him as a grandpa with a cane.

It's just really odd. That's why you see older people playing golf. I guess they just can't do things like basketball forever. Do you find it sad how an NBA career is so short?

Im so nba'd out
12-06-2020, 04:49 PM
iiiii walk on waterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

but i aint no jesus :applause:

highwhey
12-06-2020, 04:49 PM
the charm of this forum has faded completely due to alt's like OP. the good days, we had real gimmick accounts that added entertainment value to the forum, you'd see a gimmick like wile e coyote and you'd chuckle.

fast forward to today, you see an alt like OP and you cringe like if someone with sharp nails were scratching a chalkboard.

this is all on you jeff...get it together man, you're allowing these alts to errode the small amount of attraction this forum had.

Rake2204
12-06-2020, 05:01 PM
Yep, it's pretty wild when you think about it. I'm 36 and it's tough to fathom my career ending today without any specialized skills to fall back upon. The NBA players who cashed in and managed their money may be set for life, whether they decide to do anything else or not. But many struggle to find meaning once basketball's over. Being an NBA player is a heck of a peak, but I imagine there's a pretty big comedown once you realize you may never be as prominent or prolific as you were when you were 24.

Also, playing until you're in your mid-30's or beyond is a rarity. Even guys with big time college careers who ended up drafted in the lottery could just as well be out of the league by 30 (say, Tyler Hansbrough). Or a Top-10 pick out of the league by 24 (Rodney White). Or a No. 1 overall pick (Anthony Bennett). That's why a lot of dudes are trying to get it while they can. If you have a sense of self-awareness, you know it's going to be a finite experience.

But yeah, it's got to be a tough experience for a lot of guys to go through. Even at my level, it's tough to go out there and realize I'm not throwing down tomahawks anymore. But I deal with it, because it's not my livelihood (though I still wish my hops lasted forever). It's got to be rough when a guy knows his job's on the line, he's getting older every year, and new batches of young guns are coming through all the time, looking to take you out and send you to a 31-year-old retirement.

L.Kizzle
12-06-2020, 05:32 PM
There's more to the NBA than just playing.
Jerry West has been associated with the NBA since 1960. I'm not sure if he took any breaks after he retired (playing.)

If you're talking (JUST) playing than sure. What's the avg career, 7-8 seasons.

But just being associated with the game of basketball, goin back to West. Probably since HS for him over 65 years of basketball.

Walk on Water
12-06-2020, 06:34 PM
It’s weird because when I was a kid and adults said athletes have short careers, I didn’t believe them. I thought everyone could just play like they’re Cal Ripken Jr.

Hey Yo
12-06-2020, 06:49 PM
Yep, it's pretty wild when you think about it. I'm 36 and it's tough to fathom my career ending today without any specialized skills to fall back upon. The NBA players who cashed in and managed their money may be set for life, whether they decide to do anything else or not. But many struggle to find meaning once basketball's over. Being an NBA player is a heck of a peak, but I imagine there's a pretty big comedown once you realize you may never be as prominent or prolific as you were when you were 24.

Also, playing until you're in your mid-30's or beyond is a rarity. Even guys with big time college careers who ended up drafted in the lottery could just as well be out of the league by 30 (say, Tyler Hansbrough). Or a Top-10 pick out of the league by 24 (Rodney White). Or a No. 1 overall pick (Anthony Bennett). That's why a lot of dudes are trying to get it while they can. If you have a sense of self-awareness, you know it's going to be a finite experience.

But yeah, it's got to be a tough experience for a lot of guys to go through. Even at my level, it's tough to go out there and realize I'm not throwing down tomahawks anymore. But I deal with it, because it's not my livelihood (though I still wish my hops lasted forever). It's got to be rough when a guy knows his job's on the line, he's getting older every year, and new batches of young guns are coming through all the time, looking to take you out and send you to a 31-year-old retirement.
https://media.tenor.com/images/92d92a107790b676c304eba4d7b3637e/tenor.gif

Axe
12-06-2020, 08:30 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/3Mhqv1GWbsuyFZzFzr/giphy.gif

highwhey
12-06-2020, 08:32 PM
do drugs brehs, be like op brehs

Stanley Kobrick
12-06-2020, 08:37 PM
it seems the welfarefan had his Adderall script filled

light
12-07-2020, 03:21 PM
When I was a kid, I would hear teachers always say you shouldn't strive to be an athlete because you can't do it forever. I never took them seriously. In my mind, I'll never grow old. I thought it would be an eternity before hitting 20 years old. You look up to these athletes like they're Gods.

It's kinda crazy if you think about it. By the time you're in your late 20s, you're already on your way to retirement. By the time most players hit early 30s, they're either retired or are a never picked up free agent. Can you imagine if everyone else in other careers retired in their 30s because they were too old?

When Garnett or Duncan were in their mid 30s, I didn't think they were just old players, I thought they were just old people. And ironically barely even old enough to be a president. Wow, most players don't play more than 10 years. Remember there was this rap song several of years ago about Nick Van Excel, when he was still playing. Now, it's weird to hear that, because he hasn't played in years.

In the NBA, you're really only considered young for just a few years. By the time you pass 25, you're essentially an aging athlete. It's crazy how now people are calling Curry old. It didn't seem that long ago when he was just transitioning into a superstar. And he's always been called baby faced. And now he's like a senior citizen. Lebron is dominating but people think of him as a grandpa with a cane.

It's just really odd. That's why you see older people playing golf. I guess they just can't do things like basketball forever. Do you find it sad how an NBA career is so short?

Some of the players can do it (basketball) forever - after playing they move on to coaching, commentary, management and even ownership. Some of the bigger stars can essentially be a sports star forever, using their identity as a player to endorse products and services into old age.

pandiani17
12-07-2020, 04:18 PM

I see this situation in other sports as well (I'm from Europe and big on soccer). I see some of the players that used to be the supporters' heroes, who had their name chanted every weekend, struggle to have a comfortable life after retiring. Some of them move into management or broadcasting, but there are not enough jobs for everyone. Others become really anonymous and lead a normal life. Nobody knows very much about them. It should be a difficult situation stopping to do your passion when you are in your 30s and trying to find something that will make you happy for the next 30 years.

Smook A.
12-07-2020, 06:00 PM
Short career with a whooooole lot of money