PDA

View Full Version : Reverting bacl to 90's-2000's rules

Baller789
12-11-2020, 02:23 AM
I think it would be intruiging, the way teams are constructed today.

The high volume shooting finesse teams would suffer a lot.

I also believe teams with low post threats would benefit a lot like KAT and Embid.

Mr. Woke
12-11-2020, 03:40 AM
Why would you wanna go back in time lol?

The modern NBA is superior to the NBA of previous decades.

Baller789
12-11-2020, 06:43 AM

I wouldnt call the no d full court 3 point chucking contest necessary better.

Bronbron23
12-11-2020, 10:20 AM

Yes it's offensively superior because they changed the rules. That's kind of the point of the thread buddy

Mr. Woke
12-11-2020, 10:59 AM
I wouldnt call the no d full court 3 point chucking contest necessary better.

IMO it is way better.

Mr. Woke
12-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Yes it's offensively superior because they changed the rules. That's kind of the point of the thread buddy

That was definitely a great idea.

I don't miss the NBA of the 1990s and early 2000s.

Bronbron23
12-11-2020, 11:49 AM
That was definitely a great idea.

I don't miss the NBA of the 1990s and early 2000s.

Wouldn't say i miss it either but I do think it be interesting to bring back the old rules and physical play for one year just to see the result.

dankok8
12-11-2020, 11:57 AM
I definitely miss the old NBA. I used to really immerse myself in the rugged, physical battles. As recently as 5 or 6 years ago the NBA was softer but still defensively sound and way more physical than now. You had a lot of teams like the Heat, Pacers, Spurs and Grizzlies that were really good defensively. Now even playoff games feel like exhibitions where individual possessions matter less. It's shooting contests and layup lines and you can't breathe on anyone without committing a foul. That's not basketball... not how the game is played on the playground.

It's a matter of style but I love the earlier era. I started watching in 1997 and I'd say the NBA lost its way after 2015.

Baller789
12-11-2020, 03:15 PM
IMO it is way better.

In some ways yes, in some ways no.
Don't be biased kid.

Indian guy
12-12-2020, 02:17 PM
2000's rules??

The rules from 2005-2018 are completely unchanged. The game, if anything, was called softer in the early stages of the "hand-check ban" (2005-2007). ORTG from 2005-2016 basically hovered between 106-107, with a low of 104.9 (2012) and a high of 108.3 (2009). Suddenly spikes up to 108.8 in 2017 after posting a 106.4 in 2016. What changed? Certainly not the rules. Style changed. Everybody began embracing the 3 ball and small ball to its fullest after GS' record breaking success in 2016. Naturally, with more 3's (spacing) and more small ball (less bigs to protect paint, more skilled players on court), scoring increased. And even more so after the needless freedom-of-movement rule passed in 2019. League has posted ORTGs north of 110 the last seasons, the highest in NBA history.

To me the game was fine until 2018. Despite the "rules", there was still plenty of physicality allowed, especially come playoffs. There was still a fine balance between offense and defense. 2019 saw further softening of the rules and that's where it starting going wrong. The league already boasted of more offensive ability on the floor than ever. The last thing that was needed was the rules to make it even easier to score.

The most 'DUH' thing the league should do at this point is bring some physicality back to curtail scoring. But they won't because they are ****ing clueless. They equate more scoring with more viewers (which, shockingly, hasn't been the case the last 2 seasons :rolleyes:). Literally nobody wants to see 125-122 games. I can't believe coaches around the league don't get together and petition Silver to do something about the lack of balance between offense and defense.

dankok8
12-12-2020, 04:28 PM
^ Good post. It's not that people don't want to see high scoring games but they don't want to see games where scoring is easy.

Mr. Woke
12-12-2020, 05:29 PM
In some ways yes, in some ways no.
Don't be biased kid.

It is better.

Take off the nostalgia goggles.

Baller789
12-13-2020, 03:42 AM
It is better.

Take off the nostalgia goggles.
Saying its outright better without any valid reason just shows whose truly biased between us two. Must be why the NBA's rating are dropping steadily eh.

Judging by your posts, your no older than 13.
Come back when you lose your virginity boy.

Baller789
12-13-2020, 03:44 AM
^ Good post. It's not that people don't want to see high scoring games but they don't want to see games where scoring is easy.

It's become a chuckfest, which in itself is boring. I also miss dominant big men. Just not that overposting crap Barkley does.

Lebron23
12-13-2020, 04:20 PM

We have better 3 points shooter now. You European f@kkit.

Baller789
12-14-2020, 08:58 AM
Shooters are easier to disrupt with some physical play.

I miss the times when bigs were the $nit!

Now they just set screens and shoot 3's. Lol.

Most players today play the same way.

dawsey6
12-14-2020, 10:21 AM
2000's rules??

The rules from 2005-2018 are completely unchanged. The game, if anything, was called softer in the early stages of the "hand-check ban" (2005-2007). ORTG from 2005-2016 basically hovered between 106-107, with a low of 104.9 (2012) and a high of 108.3 (2009). Suddenly spikes up to 108.8 in 2017 after posting a 106.4 in 2016. What changed? Certainly not the rules. Style changed. Everybody began embracing the 3 ball and small ball to its fullest after GS' record breaking success in 2016. Naturally, with more 3's (spacing) and more small ball (less bigs to protect paint, more skilled players on court), scoring increased. And even more so after the needless freedom-of-movement rule passed in 2019. League has posted ORTGs north of 110 the last seasons, the highest in NBA history.

To me the game was fine until 2018. Despite the "rules", there was still plenty of physicality allowed, especially come playoffs. There was still a fine balance between offense and defense. 2019 saw further softening of the rules and that's where it starting going wrong. The league already boasted of more offensive ability on the floor than ever. The last thing that was needed was the rules to make it even easier to score.

The most 'DUH' thing the league should do at this point is bring some physicality back to curtail scoring. But they won't because they are ****ing clueless. They equate more scoring with more viewers (which, shockingly, hasn't been the case the last 2 seasons :rolleyes:). Literally nobody wants to see 125-122 games. I can't believe coaches around the league don't get together and petition Silver to do something about the lack of balance between offense and defense.

This.

It can't be how it was because philosophies on and dimensions of the game have changed. Teams today can kill you if zones were illegal again. But if there's a way to encourage more defense and fewer easy offensive possessions in the modern game, that really showcase how great the great players are without letting any shmuck with a jumper and a motor average 7+ 3 attempts a game, we would have a much more entertaining game.

Gudo
12-15-2020, 03:53 PM
I would appreciate more balance in the game. Right now, it's a shooting contest and the bigs have minimal role. Maybe early 2000s game like Sac 2000-2002 where there was significant value for the bigs and ample amount of outside shooting, pnr and other set plays.

Dbrog
12-15-2020, 09:08 PM
Definitely agree with dankok and baller in that this NBA is not enjoyable to watch and looked more like an allstar game than anything. It's refreshing to see some teams do a more oldschool approach like Miami or Memphis and I feel this proves you can have success with certain defensive philosophies. Something that also happened in the late 2010s is the bigs who changed the game retired. It would be very interesting to see a big like Duncan, Garnett, or Shaq come into today's NBA and have an offense centered around them. I suppose we saw it a bit with AD on the Pelicans or Cousins on the Kings, but those teams simply weren't good enough to compete for championships and therefor didn't have much effect on the "new nba" philosophy from developing. I think it's also worth noting that most teams don't have players like that and honestly...their only chance is chucking 3s. Hell, Dwight's Magic very much reminded me of this NBA in that he was basically the only defensive player on the floor and they got to the Finals and even beat Bron with dudes like Jameer, and Hedo getting hot. Again..for the average team, 3s greatly improve their potential for success

Baller789
12-15-2020, 09:52 PM
Another beautiful part of the game that has gone missing is the midrange.

Kobe (RIP), Jordan, AI and Melo made the games enjoyable to watch because of the "in between" game.

Sadly todays players like Harden and Lebron don't have that in their games. It's either a drive to the lane or a 3 pointer.

Some physicality should be allowed on the perimeter, or just extend the 3 point line further.

NBAGOAT
12-15-2020, 10:06 PM
Another beautiful part of the game that has gone missing is the midrange.

Kobe (RIP), Jordan, AI and Melo made the games enjoyable to watch because of the "in between" game.

Sadly todays players like Harden and Lebron don't have that in their games. It's either a drive to the lane or a 3 pointer.

Some physicality should be allowed on the perimeter, or just extend the 3 point line further.

what has been suggested is perimeter physicality is only allowed outside the 3pt line just to buff midrange scoring. for me that seems like too big an adjustment however. if you want more perimeter physicality allow it everywhere. some people I would say yourself included dont quite grasp how efficient 3pt shots are compared to other shots on the court besides layups and fts. Even 3's from 4-5ft behind the line can produce more points than a 18 footer for many guys(why many 3point shooters are expanding their range every year). Dimensions of the court as someone else said

To bring back post play is complicated because it's very hard to be efficient there and just allowing physicality on the perimeter isnt enough. You need to call more fouls in the post too and likely make some drastic rule changes. could reverse the barkley rule for example but I dont think it's much more watchable watching a guy back down for 8 seconds.

strategy does seem less diverse now which is less watchable but I'm not going get on teams for focusing on maximizing their winning chances. It happens in many sports or games, the people at the top start off innovating and experimenting but then start figuring out what's more optimal for winning and then everyone starts playing that strategy.

Baseball is kind of a science now. teams know exactly how many pitches their pitchers should throw and small ball just isnt a thing anymore. most football teams now you pass most of the time except certain situations and are far more aggressive going for 2. poker and chess use to have wildly diverse strategies but the best players play similarly now. For the latter 2 it's a hard to do anything unique when a computer can tell you the perfect strategy

sdot_thadon
12-15-2020, 10:17 PM
Nostalgia.....that's cool. But are we seriously discounting the modern league so much that we don't think they would make adjustments and adapt to the rules? Would handchecking stop guys from running screens? I mean reggie Miller made a living doing that in this tough era. Would the pick and roll that like 80% of the league uses regularly would be rendered useless? I recall John Stockton making a hof level career from this strategy. Isolation scorers will be that regardless of the defense. Handchecking and physicality also didn't stop guys from shooting 3s in that era, philosophy did.

I agree that this era could use better defense and more leniency for defenders but basketball is still fun for me, every incarnation of it has been.....

Baller789
12-15-2020, 10:24 PM
what has been suggested is perimeter physicality is only allowed outside the 3pt line just to buff midrange scoring. for me that seems like too big an adjustment however. if you want more perimeter physicality allow it everywhere. some people I would say yourself included dont quite grasp how efficient 3pt shots are compared to other shots on the court besides layups and fts. Even 3's from 4-5ft behind the line can produce more points than a 18 footer for many guys(why many 3point shooters are expanding their range every year). Dimensions of the court as someone else said

To bring back post play is complicated because it's very hard to be efficient there and just allowing physicality on the perimeter isnt enough. You need to call more fouls in the post too and likely make some drastic rule changes. could reverse the barkley rule for example but I dont think it's much more watchable watching a guy back down for 8 seconds.

strategy does seem less diverse now which is less watchable but I'm not going get on teams for focusing on maximizing their winning chances. It happens in many sports or games, the people at the top start off innovating and experimenting but then start figuring out what's more optimal for winning and then everyone starts playing that strategy.

Baseball is kind of a science now. teams know exactly how many pitches their pitchers should throw and small ball just isnt a thing anymore. most football teams now you pass most of the time except certain situations and are far more aggressive going for 2. poker and chess use to have wildly diverse strategies but the best players play similarly now. For the latter 2 it's a hard to do anything unique when a computer can tell you the perfect strategy

I understand that the 3 point shot isn OP AF right now. Thats why teams abuse it. Can't blame them.

Also, it's no fun watching teams spam PnR. Thats why carefully thought out rule changes should be implemented. Those rule changes, I leave it to experts.

The post play has also been newtered a lot. And not just because of Barkley rule. So much more physciality is allowed on post-ups compared to the perimeter. No ATG big man is allowed to develop and thrive in today's NBA.

Lastly, ultra high scoring games is boring. It's like dilluting your soda with too much ice. Yuck.

NBAGOAT
12-15-2020, 11:22 PM
I understand that the 3 point shot isn OP AF right now. Thats why teams abuse it. Can't blame them.

Also, it's no fun watching teams spam PnR. Thats why carefully thought out rule changes should be implemented. Those rule changes, I leave it to experts.

The post play has also been newtered a lot. And not just because of Barkley rule. So much more physciality is allowed on post-ups compared to the perimeter. No ATG big man is allowed to develop and thrive in today's NBA.

Lastly, ultra high scoring games is boring. It's like dilluting your soda with too much ice. Yuck.

i like the 14 second rebound rule but that's the easiest thing to reverse if you want lower scoring games

Bronbron23
12-15-2020, 11:40 PM
Nostalgia.....that's cool. But are we seriously discounting the modern league so much that we don't think they would make adjustments and adapt to the rules? Would handchecking stop guys from running screens? I mean reggie Miller made a living doing that in this tough era. Would the pick and roll that like 80% of the league uses regularly would be rendered useless? I recall John Stockton making a hof level career from this strategy. Isolation scorers will be that regardless of the defense. Handchecking and physicality also didn't stop guys from shooting 3s in that era, philosophy did.

I agree that this era could use better defense and more leniency for defenders but basketball is still fun for me, every incarnation of it has been.....

I agree it's still fun regardless but the rules would definitely make a difference. And it's not just hand checking it's physical defense as a whole. You brought up screens but you can't even fight through screens anymore. You literally have to run all the way around or it's a foul. How are you supposed to gaurd anyone if you can't fight through screens? That's a defensive staple that your taught from a young age. On top of that if you manage to get around the screen you cant contest because if you land anywhere where near them it's a foul. It's a joke tbh. Still like watching though it just be better if they got rid of some of these soft ass rules.

Ben Simmons
12-16-2020, 07:36 AM
People have too much nostalgia. I do think they should do whatever they can to decrease the fouls called in general, but even then the free throw rate is as low as it's ever been. The game right now is better than it was in the 90s and 2000s. The only game that compares is the 80s because teams did not give a **** about defenses and the general talent level at the top was so high.

Seriously go watch some of those games on youtube. It's not better than now. And teams arent gonna change much cause of the rules

r0drig0lac
12-16-2020, 07:57 AM
People have too much nostalgia. I do think they should do whatever they can to decrease the fouls called in general, but even then the free throw rate is as low as it's ever been. The game right now is better than it was in the 90s and 2000s. The only game that compares is the 80s because teams did not give a **** about defenses and the general talent level at the top was so high.

Seriously go watch some of those games on youtube. It's not better than now. And teams arent gonna change much cause of the rules

in fact, just as it has always happened in the history of any sport, it is exactly what will happen, if the rules are changed to force something (as it happens today for example), that goal will be achieved, the question is the sequels that come with the changes.

Ben Simmons
12-16-2020, 08:03 AM
in fact, just as it has always happened in the history of any sport, it is exactly what will happen, if the rules are changed to force something (as it happens today for example), that goal will be achieved, the question is the sequels that come with the changes.

Im talking about the 3 point chucking . Unless you remove the 3 point line

Baller789
12-16-2020, 08:16 AM

You could always move it back. Widen the court to increase the 3point distance at the corners thus opening up the driving lane a bit more.

r0drig0lac
12-16-2020, 08:44 AM

my bad, and yes, it doesn't make sense to remove or adjust the three-point line, there are simpler changes to be made.

Baller789
12-16-2020, 08:46 AM
my bad, and yes, it doesn't make sense to remove or adjust the three-point line, there are simpler changes to be made.

Like?

r0drig0lac
12-16-2020, 09:10 AM
Like?

at first, just the correct officilization of illegal screens would already make it difficult to create incompatibilities, in addition to making it more difficult to execute the current basic offensive systems (usually an intuitive pnr), but which seem sophisticated because the offense is always in numerical advantage, this by itself it would decrease efficiency in general, and with that it would probably lead to a decrease in pace, until the teams found a balance again.

Baller789
12-16-2020, 09:24 AM
at first, just the correct officilization of illegal screens would already make it difficult to create incompatibilities, in addition to making it more difficult to execute the current basic offensive systems (usually an intuitive pnr), but which seem sophisticated because the offense is always in numerical advantage, this by itself it would decrease efficiency in general, and with that it would probably lead to a decrease in pace, until the teams found a balance again.

Why not. Also I might add they should start calling travels properly. None of that zero-step BS.

Elosha
12-16-2020, 10:55 AM

I think one of the problems is today's game is much less nuanced. All play the same, and they are basically jacking threes or going in for an uncontested layups. That's why a player like Zion is actually interesting because he has a lot of post moves, up-and-unders, and lots of moves you don't see many superstars doing today. And just run-of-the-mill players? Forget it, they just don't exhibit much skill, either because they don't have it, or because their coaches won't let them demonstrate it in the current three-point/layup era . And it's just boring to watch. Sure you got a lot of great athletes who can dunk , but there's just have a vanillaness to the whole thing. everyone basically is playing the same . And almost no one is allowed to/wants to play defense.

I really do think that, along with a lack of transcendent superstars to replace LeBron in the next few years, is dragging the league down. And I suppose Trump's idiotic and controversial remarks toward the NBA might have something to do with it as well, at the margins.

Bronbron23
12-16-2020, 12:14 PM

It's not Nostalgia it just is what it is. It's facts. The league took away real defense to increase scoring because that's what the general public likes. This isn't even arguable It's in the leagues mandate.

If your arguing that more offense is better that's fine each to their own. I personally like basketball that most resembles actual ball you see in gyms and on playgrounda. If you made half the calls the nba makes in a pick up game you'd be labeled a bitch get laughed out the gym. Just let them play. It's supposed to be a physical game.