PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Peaks Series: Larry Bird

dankok8
12-15-2020, 07:20 PM
Thinking Basketball by Ben Taylor is IMO one of the best channels on YouTube. More people should really watch and listen to his breakdowns of game video. He is a very basketball analytics but also watches a ton of film to make his analyses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8n5tPbWB50

The way he breaks down Larry Legend's passing is really something. Anyways this should back up my claim on previous threads for Larry as the second greatest passer ever after Magic. Seeing plays before they happen was Larry's forte.

1987_Lakers
12-15-2020, 07:38 PM
His scouting report on past players is the most in depth analysis I've ever seen, dude is a true legend. I believe he has LeBron over Jordan on the GOAT list as well.

https://backpicks.com/2017/12/11/the-backpicks-goat-the-40-best-careers-in-nba-history/

Manny98
12-15-2020, 08:23 PM
I love watching these type of videos as someone they help me get a good understanding of what players from previous eras were really like Thank for sharing

dankok8
12-15-2020, 11:19 PM
His scouting report on past players is the most in depth analysis I've ever seen, dude is a true legend. I believe he has LeBron over Jordan on the GOAT list as well.

https://backpicks.com/2017/12/11/the-backpicks-goat-the-40-best-careers-in-nba-history/

He has Kareem as #1 Lebron at #2 and Jordan at #3. His list is based on CORP which stands for Career Over Replacement Player. Essentially it ranks players based on how much they lift teams over an average replacement player over their careers. He moved Lebron over Jordan recently and will move him over Kareem soon.

He ranked MJ as his #1 peak with Lebron #5 IIRC. And for what it's worth he said that if MJ played several additional seasons and didn't retire he'd be comfortably #1 in CORP as well but that he can't give him credit for something he didn't do. And I agree with that.

His analysis is completely devoid of any accomplishments or awards and only looks at basketball impact. It relies a lot on WOWY. I'm not a huge fan of ON/OFF and Plus-Minus stats anyways but they have their merit. Besides his point with every ranking is with ranges. He refuses to make any definitive statements and would give the highest and lowest ranking for a particular player.

HoopsNY
12-15-2020, 11:25 PM
He has Kareem as #1 Lebron at #2 and Jordan at #3. His list is based on CORP which stands for Career Over Replacement Player. Essentially it ranks players based on how much they lift teams over an average replacement player over their careers. He moved Lebron over Jordan recently and will move him over Kareem soon.

He ranked MJ as his #1 peak with Lebron #5 IIRC. And for what it's worth he said that if MJ played several additional seasons and didn't retire he'd be comfortably #1 in CORP as well but that he can't give him credit for something he didn't do. And I agree with that.

His analysis is completely devoid of any accomplishments or awards and only looks at basketball impact. It relies a lot on WOWY. I'm not a huge fan of ON/OFF and Plus-Minus stats anyways but they have their merit. Besides his point with every ranking is with ranges. He refuses to make any definitive statements and would give the highest and lowest ranking for a particular player.

You think 1987_Lakers ever takes the time to dissect anything? His mission, like every other Bran stan, is to diminish from MJ's legacy. Just look at his posts.

1987_Lakers
12-15-2020, 11:38 PM
You think 1987_Lakers ever takes the time to dissect anything? His mission, like every other Bran stan, is to diminish from MJ's legacy. Just look at his posts.

I was just stating a fact, why are you so triggered? The guy in the vid has LeBron as the GOAT, deal with it.

Axe
12-15-2020, 11:44 PM

I'm not sure why it was necessary for you to even bring up baldan in this thread, despite the topic not talking about him in the first place. Sounds like insecurity tbh.

1987_Lakers
12-15-2020, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure why it was necessary for you to even bring up baldan in this thread, despite the topic not talking about him in the first place. Sounds like insecurity tbh.

I voted Axe, the only user I blocked here.

HBK's posts are predictable and annoying, but at least he makes a point, however stupid it may be, and he generates content.

Axe's posts are just empty gibberish and emojis.

He's like a neighbors dog that always barking. You don't know what the hell it wants, and why it never stops.

woof woof

Axe
12-15-2020, 11:49 PM
Suddenly brings up baldan out of the blue when it's completely unnecessary, just like many king kong stans in this board lol. And so what's the point if the critic had king kong over a frail goat like baldan? Nobody even asked. I don't understand it anymore.

red1
12-15-2020, 11:50 PM
good look OP. that guy put a lot of effort into the video and it shows. great footage.

Axe
12-15-2020, 11:54 PM
woof woof
That sorry ass post came from a shitty propaganda thread made by the biggest insecure dork in this board, wherein i continue to rent free inside his dickhead (despite not following him from thread to thread), just like how baldan does it to you too.

Good job digging that lame shit but i'm still very much alive and kicking atm.

1987_Lakers
12-15-2020, 11:57 PM
Suddenly brings up baldan out of the blue when it's completely unnecessary, just like many king kong stans in this board lol. And so what's the point if the critic had king kong over a frail goat like baldan? Nobody even asked. I don't understand it anymore.

It didn't take much digging to be honest, it was one of the biggest threads of October.

Axe
12-16-2020, 12:00 AM
It didn't take much digging to be honest, it was one of the biggest threads of October.
Yeah but for what purpose tho? To get me and the other jizzrag banned/off in this site? Too bad it never happened. So it was an epic failure. :confusedshrug:

Anyway btt

Round Mound
12-16-2020, 12:06 AM
The GOAT Team Player!

HoopsNY
12-16-2020, 02:54 PM

Bingo. Yet I'm the one that's triggered. :lol

dankok8
12-18-2020, 02:23 AM
What impresses me so much about Bird was that he was savant that could see plays develop that no one else in history could see. People look at 6 assists a game and can't comprehend what he did. He averaged this many assists with so little time on the ball, so little time in possession. In his peak years which is what this video highlights he was the third ball handler after DJ and Ainge. Bird was such a quick decision maker it was just insane. He'd be receiving a pass and just instantly tap it to someone else. He saw another open man as his passer so him. It's uncanny. He also knew how to move without the ball to get open or to attract defensive attention to get someone else open. This video is one of the greatest I've ever seen because he shows some of these plays that don't show up on the stat sheet but you just won't see any player except Bird do this with any regularity. And of course with the ball the passes he could make were out of this world.

Round Mound
12-18-2020, 02:50 AM
What impresses me so much about Bird was that he was savant that could see plays develop that no one else in history could see. People look at 6 assists a game and can't comprehend what he did. He averaged this many assists with so little time on the ball, so little time in possession. In his peak years which is what this video highlights he was the third ball handler after DJ and Ainge. Bird was such a quick decision maker it was just insane. He'd be receiving a pass and just instantly tap it to someone else. He saw another open man as his passer so him. It's uncanny. He also knew how to move without the ball to get open or to attract defensive attention to get someone else open. This video is one of the greatest I've ever seen because he shows some of these plays that don't show up on the stat sheet but you just won't see any player except Bird do this with any regularity. And of course with the ball the passes he could make were out of this world.

Smartest Player Ever!

bizil
12-18-2020, 11:09 AM
From a stationary position or off a single dribble or two, Bird is the BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER EVER! By that I mean who combined scoring and passing the best. I say that because he's a top 5 shooter of all time. From there, the greatest passing forward of all time along with Bron. BUT he did most of his damage from a stationary position or off two dribbles max. So when u look at it like that, he's best passer EVER under those circumstances. Plus he was alpha as ****. Before MJ hit the league, Bird was ACTUALLY the best scorer on the planet. But since he played on those deep Boston teams, he didn't have to score 35 PPG! He settled for his 25-28 PPG on 50-40-90 type efficiency! LOL So IN OTHER WORDS among the perimeter players, Bird could dominate games OFFENSIVELY easier than everybody else! FROM ALL AREAS OF THE COURT!!!

mr4speed
12-18-2020, 08:28 PM

I totally agree. I used to watch Bird play with the hope that maybe somehow some of his skill would rub off on me. His passing at times was shocking in the sense of "how did that happen?" Bird seemed to fit the ball through incredibly tight windows and he recognized those small spaces so quickly and easily. The bounce passes between players legs was almost comical - of course Jack Sikma, but also, Michael Cooper, Hakeem, Uwe Blap, Ron Seikely , there may be a few more... Watching a game on TV or from an elevated position in the stands gives a much easier view of the court. Playing at ground level on the court while amongst the other 9 players and the traffic, is so different and I would marvel at how good a player must be to see the geometry and those openings! The other thing I saw was how Bird would "shave off" his defender using picks and curling so tight around his own players or the opposing team players to get open. It was almost like watching a downhill skier slalom around the sticks so tight, they actually make contact. And just when an opponent thought they had Bird figured out, Bird would change direction and you could see the frustration on the player trying to cover him. Given his lack of blinding speed, Bird was my favorite player to watch because I felt he wanted not only to compete but to win, and his desire to do this overcame the limitations he may have had.