PDA

View Full Version : What if JR Smith’s infamous 2018 Finals Game 1 blunder happened at the end of Game 7

coastalmarker99
12-21-2020, 02:11 AM
What do you think would have been if JR committed this atrocity in 2016 at a 89-89 stalemate? (imagine that Kyrie didn’t hit The Shot)

Is this blunder viewed as the worst choke moment by any player in any sport ever considering the stakes of the game and Cleveland's 52-year title drought up to that point?

Does Smith become the most hated figure ever in Ohio even more then Lebron in 2010 after he left as a result of his massive blunder in such a massive game for the team and state.

Also, does Lebron murder him after the game after he becomes the first player to get the Finals MVP on a losing team since West in 1969?

SouBeachTalents
12-21-2020, 03:13 AM
If that had been Game 7

1. That ref overturn on the LeBron/Durant play becomes the most scrutinized call in NBA history, if not sports history

2. George Hill gets a lot more shit for missing a FT that would've potentially won the Finals

3. JR Smith becomes the Bill Buckner of basketball

The one scenario I do think would've been more catastrophic had it happened in a Game 7 would be Nick Anderson's missed FT's

coastalmarker99
12-21-2020, 03:50 AM
If that had been Game 7

1. That ref overturn on the LeBron/Durant play becomes the most scrutinized call in NBA history, if not sports history

2. George Hill gets a lot more shit for missing a FT that would've potentially won the Finals

3. JR Smith becomes the Bill Buckner of basketball

The one scenario I do think would've been more catastrophic had it happened in a Game 7 would be Nick Anderson's missed FT's

Would Smith's mistake be worse than Bill Buckner's in your eyes if it was in a game 7

Yeah I can see that George hill would have gotten killed by both fans and media after the game for choking at the line but that would have been overshadowed by Jr's mistake.

Plus the refs in that situation in a game 7 of the finals would have had so much pressure to make the right call so if they get it wrong Cavs fans would feel like they were robbed of a title.

SouBeachTalents
12-21-2020, 03:57 AM
Would Smith's mistake be worse than Bill Buckner's in your eyes if it was in a game 7

Yeah I can see that George hill would have gotten killed by both fans and media after the game

Plus the refs in that situation in a game 7 of the finals would have had so much pressure to make the right call so if they get it wrong Cavs fans would feel like they were robbed of a title.
It's worse to me because while Buckner's play is a humiliating error, blunders like that happen in sports, you should still get severely criticized for it, but it's at least understandable. A mental error like not knowing something as elementary as what the score is, at the end of a Finals game to boot, is absolutely inexcusable, and if both scenarios were equal I'd say JR's gaffe is definitely worse

coastalmarker99
12-21-2020, 04:07 AM
It's worse to me because while Buckner's play is a humiliating error, blunders like that happen in sports, you should still get severely criticized for it, but it's at least understandable. A mental error like not knowing something as elementary as what the score is, at the end of a Finals game to boot, is absolutely inexcusable, and if both scenarios were equal I'd say JR's gaffe is definitely worse

I agree and I feel deeply sorry for the late Bill Buckner as that entire play is the only thing people remember him for and plus it was a game 6 so it is not as if it cost them the series as they still had game 7 to win it.

Jr would have been worse for me especially at the end of a game 7 you would have to think not knowing the score at the end of a finals game 7 and running away once you got the ball instead of shooting it to win the title would have to be the worst choke and gaffe in sports history by a long-shot.

FireDavidKahn
12-21-2020, 09:28 AM
If that had happened then he would have been blackballed from the league.

Not sure if it's worse then Webber's time out in college though

coastalmarker99
12-21-2020, 09:54 AM
If that had happened then he would have been blackballed from the league.

Not sure if it's worse then Webber's time out in college though

It would be far worse considering it would be in game 7 of the finals and also screw over a very miserable city like Cleveland is from winning a title against the goat team in Nba history.