PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Andrew Wiggins?

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 07:01 PM
He was a 23.6 ppg scorer as a 21 year old. He's averaging under 20 for the Warriors so far, although it's a small sample size. He's assists and blocks have improved some last couple seasons, but he's not gotten any better as a three point shooter, unlike many players these days. We're talking about the first overall pick in 2014. Someone who had the athleticism to be a very good two-way player, it was thought. He's had a few games here and there where it looked like he was breaking out before returning to normal.

Was listening to a recent NBA podcast, and they thought he might not be that into basketball. Like at some point growing up he went to the park to practice, and realized he didn't care, so he just goes home to play video games or something. A rich man's Anthony Bennett, but they may have just been speculating.

Funny that the Cavs took both of them #1. I remember posters on here saying how the Wovles had to pay Wiggins, because you have to keep a prospect like that.

Nike D'Antoni
12-25-2020, 07:03 PM
He needs help.

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 07:06 PM
He needs help.

#NoExcuses

FireDavidKahn
12-25-2020, 07:09 PM
This is the picture perfect example why ppg is utterly useless without context.

He's always been an incredibly inefficient chucker who was always given the greenlight. Combine that with basically never missing a game and you get great volume stats but horrid impact.

DMAVS41
12-25-2020, 07:12 PM

He's always been an incredibly inefficient chucker who was always given the greenlight. Combine that with basically never missing a game and you get great volume stats but horrid impact.

This.

Please, listen to someone that watched most of his career.

He was never good. He showed signs of being good, but he's never been good outside of short stretches of his career offensively (really just scoring).

He also doesn't give effort on defense or the glass...and he seems hard to play with.

This is the norm. He isn't good despite that many here will argue he is because of ppg.

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 07:13 PM

Okay, but why isn't he a 28-30 ppg chucker at this point?

DMAVS41
12-25-2020, 07:14 PM
Okay, but why isn't he a 28-30 ppg chucker at this point?

What team is letting him take that many shots?

He's 25 now. He's a veteran. A team can't hide behind "hopefully he develops" anymore. Only bad teams in a bind would let him use a lot of offensive possessions.

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 07:14 PM
This.

He was never good. He showed signs of being good, but he's never been good outside of short stretches of his career offensively (really just scoring).

He also doesn't give effort on defense or the glass...and he seems hard to play with.

So did Minny give him that big contract on potential? They already had KAT to build around. Could have traded Wiggins back then when his value was higher.

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 07:15 PM
What team is letting him take that many shots?

Green light means take all the shots you want. I'm just wondering why he hasn't progressed.

FireDavidKahn
12-25-2020, 07:16 PM
This.

This is the norm. He isn't good despite that many here will argue he is because of ppg.

He had me fooled multiple times thinking he figured it out.

uff dah..........:facepalm

DMAVS41
12-25-2020, 07:16 PM
So did Minny give him that big contract on potential? They already had KAT to build around. Could have traded Wiggins when his value was higher.

Yes, and it was a mistake....although even those of us on the anti-Wiggins side didn't think he'd be this bad.

Horatio33
12-25-2020, 07:18 PM
He is a younger Jeff Green. Catch him on the right night or when he does an incredible dunk and you'd think he was one of the best players in the league. Then you see him for few times and realise he has no passion.

Xiao Yao You
12-25-2020, 07:20 PM
So did Minny give him that big contract on potential? They already had KAT to build around. Could have traded Wiggins back then when his value was higher.

Those 2nd contracts are usually based on potential

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Yes, and it was a mistake....although even those of us on the anti-Wiggins side didn't think he'd be this bad.

You'd think his three point shooting would improve, at least.

brownmamba00
12-25-2020, 07:22 PM

His form is horrible

Marchesk
Those 2nd contracts are usually based on potential

There were questions about Wiggins back then, but a majority of people were still taken in by his athleticism and scoring ability. The argument was Minny had to keep him if the wanted to build a contender. Sounds funny now.

DMAVS41
Green light means take all the shots you want. I'm just wondering why he hasn't progressed.

I think I'd say what FDK did...

You are likely reading too much into his meaningless stats in year 2 and 3 on terrible Minny teams. It is hard to even count those as real. Bad team playing mostly meaningless games with Wiggins and the team not even pretending to try on defense.

Pretty much the definition of empty stats.

DMAVS41
12-25-2020, 07:23 PM

Agreed, but he spent most of his time in Minny taking long 2's...and not making them.

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 07:23 PM
His form is horrible

If Lonzo can improve at three point shooting ....

FireDavidKahn
12-25-2020, 07:25 PM
I think I'd say what FDK did...

You are likely reading too much into his meaningless stats in year 2 and 3 on terrible Minny teams. It is hard to even count those as real. Bad team playing mostly meaningless games with Wiggins and the team not even pretending to try on defense.

Pretty much the definition of empty stats.

Same exact thing that happened with Eric Paschall. Started to get some hype but he isn't really anything.

Clifton
12-25-2020, 07:26 PM
His talent level has always been overrated. He looks like a tier-1 talent in an empty gym, but put him in an NBA game and it's clear he's tier 2 or tier 3. Still talented of course. But not Westbrook or TMac.

I don't understand what people are watching when they watch him. I've never seen a guy who had to work that hard to score get called a god-level talent so frequently.

Michael Porter Jr. is who people said Andrew Wiggins was. (I don't think Porter will ever be healthy though.)

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 07:29 PM
I don't understand what people are watching when they watch him. I've never seen a guy who had to work that hard to score get called a god-level talent so frequently.

If it weren't for Lebron, The Cavs would have been featuring Kyrie and Wiggins.

Sportal
12-25-2020, 08:31 PM
All the talent in the world, lazy.

imdaman99
12-25-2020, 08:36 PM
Low motor. He just doesn't have IT and he never will.

k0kakw0rld
12-25-2020, 09:01 PM
Mental midget. Trash.

Druckenmiller
12-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Soft and weak, mentally and physically. No motor. Low basketball IQ. Spends 98 percent of the game standing around when he doesn't have the ball. Inconsistent and unreliable shooter. Uninterested rebounder. Plays like he doesn't want to be there.

What did I miss?

ErhnamDjinn
12-25-2020, 10:24 PM
Why did the warriors give diangelo Russell for this guy sheesh

StrongLurk
12-25-2020, 10:25 PM
He doesn't like basketball, that's why he isn't improving.

RRR3
12-25-2020, 10:26 PM
Why did the warriors give diangelo Russell for this guy sheesh
They got picks.

red1
12-25-2020, 10:26 PM
he sucks

that simple

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 10:38 PM
He doesn't like basketball, that's why he isn't improving.

Imagine being that naturally talented at something that you get almost $148 million over five years to basically coast. He's the Nick Kyrgios of basketball, minus the personality and controversy.

I recall a year or two ago hearing something on the radio about how a decent number of professional athletes don't really like their sport. The grind of playing it all the time burns them out.

ZenMaster
12-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Imagine being that naturally talented at something that you get almost $148 million over five years to basically coast. He's the Nick Kyrgios of basketball, minus the personality and controversy.

I recall a year or two ago hearing something on the radio about how a decent number of professional athletes don't really like their sport. The grind of playing it all the time burns them out.

The Minnesota owner should have listened to the sports psychologists(and if he didn't have those, he should have), instead he had a one to one and trusted Wiggins when he said he'd give his all, the owner could have been smarter about that process.

Marchesk
12-25-2020, 10:47 PM
The Minnesota owner should have listened to the sports psychologists(and if he didn't have those, he should have), instead he had a one to one and trusted Wiggins when he said he'd give his all, the owner could have been smarter about that process.

A one one one, LOL. Who isn't going to say whatever it takes to cement a $148 million?

ZenMaster
12-25-2020, 11:01 PM
A one one one, LOL. Who isn't going to say whatever it takes to cement a $148 million?

Exactly, that's at least how I remember the story from when he got the extension. Big mistake by that owner.

Sportal
12-26-2020, 03:13 AM
Exactly, that's at least how I remember the story from when he got the extension. Big mistake by that owner.

Thing is with this... If the TWolves owner didn't give him that money, someone else probably would have gambled and did it anyway.

Do people remember the games where he has actually tried and got like 30+ points and 10+ rebs... Imagine if he tried all the time...

PeroAntic
12-26-2020, 03:51 PM
His form is horrible

This.

Wiggins' game is just so ugly. His ballhandling sucks as well.

Haymaker
12-26-2020, 07:31 PM
He was clearly a project prospect but Minny really thought he was NBA ready. Wiggins could've benefited from a system like Utah's or Denver.

FireDavidKahn
12-26-2020, 08:58 PM
Maybe they can trade him for Giannis

Brujesino
12-26-2020, 09:08 PM

great trade for both teams wiggins for giannis straight up.

Seriously I was expecting him to turn into a all star but just atleast a decent play but in just these 2 games hes been really bad im just hoping he steps up from bad to decent.

RRR3
12-26-2020, 09:32 PM
great trade for both teams wiggins for giannis straight up.

Seriously I was expecting him to turn into a all star but just atleast a decent play but in just these 2 games hes been really bad im just hoping he steps up from bad to decent.
He’s been bad his entire career. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Axe
12-26-2020, 09:51 PM
Lol what?