PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers is a good coach

Lebron23
01-09-2021, 09:38 PM
His leading the Sixers to the best record in the East. And he is enjoying coaching.

Axe
01-09-2021, 09:43 PM
Only idiots like hbk will think he's not better than ty lue

CelticBaller
01-09-2021, 09:45 PM
he's always been a good coach. Only reactionary idiots think otherwise

Lebron23
01-09-2021, 09:46 PM

Kawhimanagement ruined the Clippers chemistry.

k0kakw0rld
01-09-2021, 09:51 PM

You are correct, good coach not GREAT.

Nike D'Antoni
01-09-2021, 10:09 PM
I had this Sack Doc Rivers thread about him last year, but now I am thinking was wrong about it. Seeing how Tyronn Lue utilizing the bench.
He is better than Tyronn Lue or Steve Nash.

Nike D'Antoni
01-09-2021, 10:09 PM

I was one of those idiots.

Kiddlovesnets
01-09-2021, 10:13 PM
Just a coach with good floor but low ceiling. Good enough to lead them to playoffs and 2nd round? Yes. Great enough to win titles without a superteam? No.

pandiani17
01-10-2021, 07:55 AM
I agree with most of the comments here. Doc is a good coach, not question about it. A great motivator and a coach who listens to players. However, he is not very good with the X and O's and making adjustments throughout a series. His stint with the Clippers where he failed to lead loaded teams (with CP3-Blake first and Kawhi-PG later) are a proof of that. A good coach, but he has got areas where he could be better.

coin24
01-10-2021, 08:00 AM
Good coach not great.. but there are only a handful of those

See what he can do with the Sixers this season

GOBB
01-10-2021, 08:24 AM
Good coach is stating the obvious. What more is there to add?

Just a coach with good floor but low ceiling. Good enough to lead them to playoffs and 2nd round? Yes. Great enough to win titles without a superteam? No.

What coach is great enough to win titles without a superstar team?

clipps
01-10-2021, 08:36 AM
Big deal. The East is a giant dumpster fire.

Wally450
01-10-2021, 09:58 AM
Big deal. The East is a giant dumpster fire.

It's not 2018 anymore. There are good teams in the East.

Jasper
01-10-2021, 11:07 AM
certain coachs can work efficiently with certain personalities ... DOc is the perfect example (IN BOSTON)

LA teams he has had , had a mix of personalities and it never worked ...
Team I felt sorry for was Blake ,Jordan and CP3 ... and I believe they had Lou at the time.:(

rmt
01-10-2021, 12:05 PM
I wonder if some of you remember his team having big leads and Doc not calling time outs as the leads dwindled (I guess the let them figure it out - we got this attitude) or before game 7, him having the team watch football and taking them out to dinner and NOT discussing basketball. Is that what you call a good coach? Not me, what happened was inexcusable - the Clippers should not have lost that series up 3-1.

red1
01-10-2021, 12:11 PM
Last year's choke was 100% on pg and kawhi

doc was just the scapegoat. he's not the one who missed all of those wide open shots.

rmt
01-10-2021, 12:15 PM
Last year's choke was 100% on pg and kawhi

doc was just the scapegoat. he's not the one who missed all of those wide open shots.

He's the one who calls time outs - he's the one who's decides who plays - he's the one who's supposed to be discussing BASKETBALL (not football) before game 7.

Kiddlovesnets
01-10-2021, 12:20 PM

Among the currently active head coaches, Gregg Popovich(1999, 2003, 2014), Rick Carlisle(2011), Steve Kerr(2015), Nick Nurse(2019), Frank Vogel(2020) have done it. And there are a few more coaches who are better than Doc Rivers, ie. Mike Malone, Erik Spolestra, Brad Stevens, Mike Budenholzer. Doc is around 11-15th best coach in the league, hes 'good' in a sense that hes better than average, and definitely the clear-cut best black coach available. But of course, hes nowhere near a great coach, the 2008 Celtics Big three carried him to that title.

rmt
01-10-2021, 12:28 PM

What? Garnett, Pierce and Allen don't qualify as a superstar team?

red1
01-10-2021, 12:37 PM
He's the one who calls time outs - he's the one who's decides who plays - he's the one who's supposed to be discussing BASKETBALL (not football) before game 7.

Did you watch the games? They choked and missed wide open shots, period.

Not on doc.

rmt
01-10-2021, 12:42 PM
Did you watch the games? They choked and missed wide open shots, period.

Not on doc.

You are entitled to your opinion - just as I am mine.

GOBB
01-10-2021, 12:57 PM
Doc is not a great coach. He’s better than Brett Brown. But he hasn’t got much further than Brett Brown has in the playoffs since the Boston 3. While I’m happy to have a coach worth a damn I’m definitely not thinking Doc is great.

What? Garnett, Pierce and Allen don't qualify as a superstar team?

There is no what. You better read what I typed in relation to who I quoted.

HBK_Kliq_2
01-10-2021, 01:04 PM
Doc is an idiot playoff coach. He has blown three different series when he led 3-1. That's why he was fired.

76ers also have not proven shit. They were a terrible road team last year and still suck on the road so far this year. Only reason they have a good record is because they played at home and against a bunch of terrible teams.

GOBB
01-10-2021, 01:08 PM
Doc is an idiot playoff coach. He has blown three different series when he led 3-1. That's why he was fired.

76ers also have not proven shit. They were a terrible road team last year and still suck on the road so far this year. Only reason they have a good record is because they played at home and against a bunch of terrible teams.

Terrible teams like who?

Sixers lost to the wizards on the road coming off a back to back where embiid didn’t play
Sixers lost to the Nets coming off a back to back where Seth Curry didn’t play

Neither loss proves anything about the road (2-2) more so than it does back to backs.

HBK_Kliq_2
01-10-2021, 01:12 PM
Terrible teams like who?

Sixers lost to the wizards on the road coming off a back to back where embiid didn’t play
Sixers lost to the Nets coming off a back to back where Seth Curry didn’t play

Neither loss proves anything about the road (2-2) more so than it does back to backs.

Nets without Irving/Durant are not a good team at all. You lost to them on the road, which shows you're still not over your road scars from last season. 76ers lack leadership is only reason I can explain their road woes. They were the worst road team last season in the playoff bracket, they haven't proven they have gotten over that.

GOBB
01-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Nets without Irving/Durant are not a good team at all. You lost to them on the road, which shows you're still not over your road scars from last season. 76ers lack leadership is only reason I can explain their road woes. They were the worst road team last season in the playoff bracket, they haven't proven they have gotten over that.

Again it was a back to back. You’re not too bright. Road woes when they are 2-2 and both losses came via back to backs. Not easy to win back to backs shithead.

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2021, 01:41 PM
Among the currently active head coaches, Gregg Popovich(1999, 2003, 2014), Rick Carlisle(2011), Steve Kerr(2015), Nick Nurse(2019), Frank Vogel(2020) have done it. And there are a few more coaches who are better than Doc Rivers, ie. Mike Malone, Erik Spolestra, Brad Stevens, Mike Budenholzer. Doc is around 11-15th best coach in the league, hes 'good' in a sense that hes better than average, and definitely the clear-cut best black coach available. But of course, hes nowhere near a great coach, the 2008 Celtics Big three carried him to that title.

Snyder out coached him in their playoff win and he's not a great coach either

Kiddlovesnets
01-10-2021, 01:57 PM
Snyder out coached him in their playoff win and he's not a great coach either

Yes Snyder is definitely better than Doc Rivers, I simply gave a few examples(note I said ie.). The coaches I listed are better than Doc Rivers too, but not just these. There are at least 10 coaches better than Rivers in current NBA, which is why Id say Doc is between 11-15 range. Better than average, but nowhere near great.

GOBB
01-10-2021, 02:13 PM
Snyder should’ve came to Philly. Better chance at seeing a finals

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2021, 02:34 PM
Snyder should’ve came to Philly. Better chance at seeing a finals

You can have him. Please take him!!!

HBK_Kliq_2
01-10-2021, 02:56 PM
Again it was a back to back. You’re not too bright. Road woes when they are 2-2 and both losses came via back to backs. Not easy to win back to backs shithead.

You have your three best players Simmons/Harris/Embiid and lost to a lottery team nets without Durant/Irving.

That tells me you're still the home team's bitch. Quote me when that FACT changes.

GOBB
01-10-2021, 03:55 PM
You have your three best players Simmons/Harris/Embiid and lost to a lottery team nets without Durant/Irving.

That tells me you're still the home team's bitch. Quote me when that FACT changes.

Plenty teams have lost to teams that shouldn’t have. Again let me know the next time you make a valid point. Sizers win that game all you do is lump it with “sixers beat terrible teams and a nets team without their stars!”. So keep changing the narrative to fit your nonsensical mumbo jumbo bud