PDA

View Full Version : Audio of Jackie MacMullan’s story about her saying Kyrie he’s an NBA owner’s property

k0kakw0rld
01-14-2021, 10:31 PM
Source (https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1349808442744188928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1349808442744188928%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalprosports.com%2F202 1%2F01%2F14%2Fjackie-macmullan-under-fire-for-saying-nba-players-are-an-nba-owners-property-because-they-pay-them-millions-video-tweets%2F)

I see a lot of comments saying that she is racist.

I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Apparently, she may be under hot water with the NBA.

tpols
01-14-2021, 10:44 PM
You can't make 100's of millions of dollars and then claim you're a slave. Slaves made nothing. Kyrie made enough for 100+ luxurious life times.

highwhey
01-14-2021, 10:46 PM
before i make up an opinion, is she hot? bangable? does she smoke crack rock?

DoctorP
01-14-2021, 10:50 PM
Its a school... For ants!

Marchesk
01-14-2021, 11:07 PM
It's called a contract. Kyrie is free to quit and void the money he's getting paid. If players don't want to be "owned" any longer, then get rid of contracts and get paid on a game by game basis or something.

ThatCoolKid
01-14-2021, 11:32 PM
I mean it is racist. She's a white dumbass who literally just said a black man is some rich white guy's property. She's literally braindead.

Kyrie's point about the draft is stupid though. It's designed for league parity, the league wouldn't function if players got to choose their own teams.

DoctorP
01-14-2021, 11:36 PM
Kyrie is intellectual property of the nets. Deal with it.

DoctorP
01-14-2021, 11:37 PM
Ignorance will destroy Kyries peace.

JohnMax
01-15-2021, 03:05 AM
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1349808442744188928

SATAN
01-15-2021, 04:06 AM
Out of touch boomer who has the personality of a stone. Hard to have sympathy.

dirkdiggler41
01-15-2021, 04:15 AM
I mean it is racist. She's a white dumbass who literally just said a black man is some rich white guy's property. She's literally braindead.

Kyrie's point about the draft is stupid though. It's designed for league parity, the league wouldn't function if players got to choose their own teams.

So if she were talking to LaMelo Ball it would not be racism?

It is bad wording because it is not correct. He is not owned by anyone. He can opt-out of his contract as far as I know, or at least ask to void the contract.

Akeem34TheDream
01-15-2021, 04:20 AM
He is a good that can be traded.

light
01-15-2021, 04:27 AM
Source (https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1349808442744188928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1349808442744188928%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalprosports.com%2F202 1%2F01%2F14%2Fjackie-macmullan-under-fire-for-saying-nba-players-are-an-nba-owners-property-because-they-pay-them-millions-video-tweets%2F)

I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Apparently, she may be under hot water with the NBA.

She made a mistake and it's not a small one either. She should've known better.

One simply cannot refer to black men as the property of wealthy owners in 2021. She needs to enter a modern diversity and inclusion training program to sharpen up on appropriate terminology. She is 60 years old so I'm sure she could use it.

Real Men Wear Green
01-15-2021, 04:37 AM
The positive spin: It's fine to say that a team owner owns the team. But players absolutely should not put up with owners saying that they own them, something that team owners normally have enough sense not to do. McMullen may have exposed a little bit of her subconscious mentality there. She could have made her point, which is that players are paid all that money so they should/and because they allow NBA teams a high leverl of level of control, without just outright telling Irving that he's property. But she's not a truly bad person.

The negative spin: she's a racist.

My own view: almost everyone has some level of subconcious racism. McMullen is grandma-age and may be having a hard time updating her self-filter to not land in controversy especially as popular culture gets more "woke." Cancel culture often goes overboard and with her saying something that so easily makes us think of slavery her hope is now that not many people will care and/or notice what she said and that she can be forgiven as an old lady.

Regarding Irving on the draft, if that's a CBA negotiating position there's nothing wrong with taking that stance. We take for granted the inconvenience of being forced to go somewhere you may not want to live and playing for an organization that you may not like. We take it for granted because almost all of us would easily accept living in Utah or wherever to be an NBA millionaire. And so would they. No sympathy is deserved but if they can get rid of the draft and/or use that position to negotiate for something else why not?

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 04:49 AM
She's not a racist, she's just old and the kids are super sensitive.

Manny98
01-15-2021, 06:56 AM
before i make up an opinion, is she hot? bangable? does she smoke crack rock?
https://i.postimg.cc/k4vv1088/RS446756-20150721-Jackie-Mac-Mullan.jpg

Manny98
01-15-2021, 06:58 AM

How df is that racist, the same logic would apply to white players as well and non white owners :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
01-15-2021, 07:03 AM
How df is that racist, the same logic would apply to white players as well and non white owners :facepalm

There are something like 2 nonwhite owners.

Marchesk
01-15-2021, 07:04 AM

Luka is a 10 million dollar slave.

Manny98
01-15-2021, 07:07 AM
There are something like 2 nonwhite owners.
Yes and the same logic would still apply.

"Property" may not be the politically correct term but that doesn't change the fact that Kyrie gets paid a salary by the owner and he has to fulfill his end of the contract by showing up to work every day

Real Men Wear Green
01-15-2021, 07:13 AM

"Property" may not be the politically correct term but that doesn't change the fact that Kyrie gets paid a salary by the owner and he has to fulfill his end of the contract by showing up to work every day

There is a difference between that, being an employee, and McMullen telling him that the owners own him. She went too far there and opened herself up to criticism.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 07:19 AM

Bingo.

coin24
01-15-2021, 07:22 AM
This idiot really thinks he’s kunta kintay or something:oldlol:

Who cares if it’s called owner or whatever, it’s your boss and you are the employee.
They should just shit can Kyrie and he can go and put on his simba pander suit with pelosi and create a wakanda somewhere.. fkn idiot doesn’t know how good he has it.

Any of these wankers crying about slavery lol their ancestors are rolling in their graves at how soft and pathetic these losers are now

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 07:27 AM

Intellectual property is the correct term.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 07:34 AM
This idiot really thinks he’s kunta kintay or something:oldlol:

Who cares if it’s called owner or whatever, it’s your boss and you are the employee.
They should just shit can Kyrie and he can go and put on his simba pander suit with pelosi and create a wakanda somewhere.. fkn idiot doesn’t know how good he has it.

Any of these wankers crying about slavery lol their ancestors are rolling in their graves at how soft and pathetic these losers are now

He might be mentally ill.

guy
01-15-2021, 10:27 AM
She's not racist. She's been around forever and is highly respected by alot of NBA people, including obviously many who are black. Just poor wording and her overall point still stands.

The idea that NBA players shouldn't be "forced" to play in a certain city is asinine. People have jobs where the only opportunity is in a certain location, otherwise they have to turn it down. So what happens? They move to that location. I don't see how its that different. The NBA is essentially one company. Sure, they have 30 owners of 30 different franchises, but they essentially operate like one company. So if they say you can only work here, what's the problem? Is it much different then getting a job at amazon and them saying you can only work in Seattle even though they have offices around the country? And then 7 years later after you put the work in, saying you can go find a job within Amazon in another location?

Its really unfortunate, but she's going to possibly get canned for this sh*t. "Property" is obviously a sensitive word. His basketball talent is an asset though that a team basically "owns".

Norcaliblunt
01-15-2021, 10:34 AM
The players need to start their OWN league already and OWN their OWN content. Especially when no one is in the stands there is no point to work for the NBA. Get some players together, stream playing ball on YouTube, and start collecting more money than Joe Rogan.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 10:41 AM
The players need to start their OWN league already and OWN their OWN content. Especially when no one is in the stands there is no point to work for the NBA. Get some players together, stream playing ball on YouTube, and start collecting more money than Joe Rogan.

It's been done. It was called and-1.
But hey they should do it. Let em start a negro league or something.

KennyPowers
01-15-2021, 10:43 AM

That's how it works... Just collect a youtube check and divide the money with your boys.... No lawyers and agents to agree to contracts and manage money. No team trainers or doctors. Just make up random teams and play shirts vs skins. Solid plan.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 10:50 AM
Black people like going to black doctors. They probably prefer black ownership.

Bronbron23
01-15-2021, 11:24 AM

It's not racist but it was dumb and ignorant as hell

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 11:25 AM
It's not racist but it was dumb and ignorant as hell

What offended you specifically

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 11:44 AM
First off, slaves don't get paid, they get sold or exchanged.

Second of all, before entering the league players have to sign contracts. Just like any other job.

It's his job to show up at games, practices, and answer to the media. He's a spoiled kid. Do you know how many people will lose their jobs if they decided to call their co-workers instead of their boss to let them know they won't be coming to work?

Bronbron23
01-15-2021, 11:45 AM
What offended you specifically

I wasn't offended personally but it was just a dumb thing to say. For one owners own teams not players. Second given the history of slavery and the dynamics of the nba wit all white owners using mostly black men to work for them it's just an ignorant thing ro say.

I don't think she ment anything by it that's why i say ignorance. I don't even think she realized what she said and how it can come across.

Bronbron23
01-15-2021, 11:46 AM

Second of all, before entering the league players have to sign contracts. Just like any other job.

It's his job to show up at games, practices, and answer to the media. He's a spoiled kid. Do you know how many people will lose their jobs if they decided to call their co-workers instead of their boss to let them know they won't be coming to work?

Right but they don't own you they just employ you. That's why it was a stupid thing to say

rawimpact
01-15-2021, 11:46 AM
She's from Boston

They've got no loyalty towards players over there.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 11:48 AM
I wasn't offended personally but it was just a dumb thing to say. For one owners own teams not players. Second given the history of slavery and the dynamics of the nba wit all white owners using mostly black men to work for them it's just an ignorant thing ro say.

I don't think she ment anything by it that's why i say ignorance. I don't even think she realized what she said and how it can come across.

K. I see what you mean

FultzNationRISE
01-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Theres no implication of racism whatsoever. Especially given McMullin has no track record of such things. The word ‘slavery’ has no reference to race in its definition. Slaves have existed in all major societies throughout the vast majority of history.

The fact people like RMWG immediately start giving cringey, intellectually weak pontifications on the level of “racism” this shows, actually demonstrates the power of the media and social zeitgeist on the average persons mind.

An idiot sees erroneous race cards played on CNN and in the New York Timed and “Reddit” and he then comes to believe that is their appropriate context. He has not achieved this conclusion independently because people dont all achieve the same irrational conclusions independently, that wouldnt make sense. Rather, a dumb idea starts in one place and diffuses. A bunch of separate, non connected people dont all suddenly arrive at the independent conclusion 2+2=5. Because it doesnt. It would have to start with one dope who convinced a few more, who then convince more, with the majority of them never actually THINKING about it.

Thats how you end up with people giving opinions like the ones RMWG does. He isnt a thinking human with a brain. He has weak, inferior circuitry and cannot compute on his own. He’s a VCR, not a computer. He displays the material someone else has already produced, he does not produce his own.

Interesting lesson in human psychology.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 12:04 PM
Theres no implication of racism whatsoever. Especially given McMullin has no track record of such things. The word ‘slavery’ has no reference to race in its definition. Slaves have existed in all major societies throughout the vast majority of history.

The fact people like RMWG immediately start giving cringey, intellectually weak pontifications on the level of “racism” this shows, actually demonstrates the power of the media and social zeitgeist on the average persons mind.

An idiot sees erroneous race cards played on CNN and in the New York Timed and “Reddit” and he then comes to believe that is their appropriate context. He has not achieved this conclusion independently because people dont all achieve the same irrational conclusions independently, that wouldnt make sense. Rather, a dumb idea starts in one place and diffuses. A bunch of separate, non connected people dont all suddenly arrive at the independent conclusion 2+2=5. Because it doesnt. It would have to start with one dope who convinced a few more, who then convince more, with the majority of them never actually THINKING about it.

Thats how you end up with people giving opinions like the ones RMWG does. He isnt a thinking human with a brain. He has weak, inferior circuitry and cannot compute on his own. He’s a VCR, not a computer. He displays the material someone else has already produced, he does not produce his own.

He was offended because of those factors. He still felt offense.

Oh wait i meant bronbron23

FultzNationRISE
01-15-2021, 12:08 PM

This is not true actually.

Pay is not the defining aspect of slavery. Slaves who developed skills in iron smithing, or fiddling, or basically any field in pre-Emancipation America would often be paid for services. Sure people can pick cotton under pretty much any conditions, but if you need something that requires a standard of quality, you have to provide an incentive. Otherwise youll get something half ass. In such cases, reward works better than punishment. And slaves were often paid for side projects they had the skills for.

Moreover, some slave owners did pay even their field slaves (a pittance, obviously) so that they could purchase their freedom after some 40 years or whatever.

The defining aspects of slavery are that you did not ascent to it and you cannot leave. If I go kidnap someone and make them run on a treadmill in my basement to generate electricity, I could pay them a million bucks but it’s still slavery. If they have not agreed to the work, that’s slavery.

NBA players like many adults in many professions, sign contracts. What McMullin obviously meant, as Im sire you understand but others dont, is that the Nets own the RIGHTS to Kyrie’s production as a basketball player, BC HE WILLINGLY AGREED TO THISE TERMS IN EXCHANGE FOR 40 MILLION DOLLARS.

Lol @ racism and slavery talk from the usual plebs like rmwg.

GrayGoat
01-15-2021, 12:18 PM
If she was a white man she wouldn’t have her job anymore

Real14
01-15-2021, 02:17 PM
Of course the comment she said is racist.

Mask the Embiid
01-15-2021, 05:11 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/18ee96df1eb58855393884d3dc207fd0/tenor.gif?itemid=4601170

yeaaaman
01-15-2021, 05:24 PM
Uh... it needs to be explained that humans are not the property of another person?

That is talk straight from the slave days. Sure she probably didn't intend that but anyone who doesn't understand the optics of it being bad and can't comprehend the racial connotation, well I'm not sure what to say. You are not anybody's property. Full stop.

Axe
01-15-2021, 05:44 PM

Hi sf

Axe
01-15-2021, 05:45 PM
Uh... it needs to be explained that humans are not the property of another person?

That is talk straight from the slave days. Sure she probably didn't intend that but anyone who doesn't understand the optics of it being bad and can't comprehend the racial connotation, well I'm not sure what to say. You are not anybody's property. Full stop.
If someone/somebody is a property, i wonder what will be his/her value.

Norcaliblunt
01-15-2021, 06:18 PM
That's how it works... Just collect a youtube check and divide the money with your boys.... No lawyers and agents to agree to contracts and manage money. No team trainers or doctors. Just make up random teams and play shirts vs skins. Solid plan.

Gotta start somewhere and evolve from there. If Rogan or any of these other top podcasters were scaredy bitches like you who want to be owned they wouldn’t be collecting hundred mill checks.

Bronbron23
01-15-2021, 06:52 PM
Of course the comment she said is racist.

Not necessarily it all depends on her intentions. We really don't know what's in her heart. It coukd of just been ignorance which isn't always racist. She may legit think all players black white and whatever are property of their owners.

Given her track record and vibe i get from her i think this was more just ignorance and complete unawareness.

FultzNationRISE
01-15-2021, 07:26 PM

No, I'm quite sure Ms MacMullan would not need that explanation.

Are you insinuating she doesn't know something that basic, simply because she's a woman?

Do you know how ****ING long women have been considered simple and naive? Theyve been battling that stereotype for MILLENNIA.

And you're going to perpetuate it with a straight face, and suggest this educated professional journalist, who happens to be a woman, doesn't know that players arent LITERALLY the property of owners? You think if she was asked straight up if players THEMSELVES (not their contracted services) are legal property, she would say yes, simply because she's a woman and doesn't know any better?

Un****ingbelievable how tone deaf you are. You are seriously an ignoramus, a misogynist, and a monster. I have half a mind to report you, have you canceled, and possibly even arrested.

See how easy it is to make ANYONE look like a bad guy nowadays if you're a massively oversensitive try-hard?

People need to get a ****ing life.

Im Still Ballin
01-15-2021, 08:58 PM

Are you insinuating she doesn't know something that basic, simply because she's a woman?

Do you know how ****ING long women have been considered simple and naive? Theyve been battling that stereotype for MILLENNIA.

And you're going to perpetuate it with a straight face, and suggest this educated professional journalist, who happens to be a woman, doesn't know that players arent LITERALLY the property of owners? You think if she was asked straight up if players THEMSELVES (not their contracted services) are legal property, she would say yes, simply because she's a woman and doesn't know any better?

Un****ingbelievable how tone deaf you are. You are seriously an ignoramus, a misogynist, and a monster. I have half a mind to report you, have you canceled, and possibly even arrested.

See how easy it is to make ANYONE look like a bad guy nowadays if you're a massively oversensitive try-hard?

Mods.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 09:19 PM

:lol

And weaponizing this is why cancel culture is worrying.

Derka
01-15-2021, 09:45 PM
Jackie was one of the most respected writers in the game before most of you were old enough to have your first wet dream. Bird, Jordan, Magic, Shaq, Kobe...you name the star player and all of them dropped what they were doing to talk to Jackie for a bit. She’s as far from racist as it gets.

That said, I was listening to this live because I subscribe to Russillo’s podcast. As soon as she said it, I winced because I knew someone somewhere was gonna make it a black thing. In fairness, it’s her own fault.

She’s expressed this exact sentiment about white players plenty of times in her career to say “Dude, you’re an employee and rich guy considers you an asset. Check your f**cking ego at the door and play ball.”

talkingconch
01-15-2021, 09:49 PM

she said nba owner, nothing about white people.

liberals opinions on this matter are not important such as yourself

yeaaaman
01-16-2021, 12:15 AM

Didn't even read all that, you sound too emotional. "see how easy it is to make anyone look like a bad guy". They're her words, it wasn't even something difficult to understand, you don't tell someone they are property (which they aren't).

She has been a reporter on the NBA for decades and suddenly it's like she wasn't anywhere the past 5 years that they've been talking about the racial undertones around the whole "owner" conversation. Now she goes beyond that during an argument as a white woman with a black player and tells him he's someone else's property. If that's not idiotic I don't know what is. And then you blame everyone else for it, this is great.

At best it's tone def and yes, she's opening herself up to criticism, unless you think it's other peoples fault she said something idiotic. Take your puffer and calm down. She'll be okay and hopefully you will too.

jmcwilliams
01-16-2021, 10:53 AM
If someone is paying you hundreds of millions of dollars to play A game then you're damned right. They own you. That kind of money don't come easily. 99 percent of us will see nothing of the sort. NBA players have never had it better and they A ****ing it up.

GOBB
01-16-2021, 11:35 AM
First people need to stop being that guy. If you don’t understand what’s being implied when slaves/slavery is used in the modern day world then get a clue. It’s not used in the literal sense. No one lives in a shack behind massa house and gets whipped physically in a hot field. But you can apply the same concepts today. If you can’t grasp that then maybe your brain didn’t fully develop and I’m sorry for that.

Second I listened to the audio numerous times. Where is the issue? Was stuff cut out? Is there more? What was posted doesnt scream racist nor does it scream she was wrong. She broke down the convo briefly and people ran with it to her being a racist? Really no argument here.

Norcaliblunt
01-16-2021, 12:40 PM
Where’s the NBA players union when other worker/slave unions need help? Like teachers or whatever. They never use their prestige and influence to help the middle class slaves. But they expect us to understand their plight.