PDA

View Full Version : Im bored. Help me out and put these 6 rarely compared point guards in order.

Kblaze8855
01-15-2021, 08:32 AM
Deron Williams, Gary Payton, Chauncey Billups, Kyrie(assume hes willing to play and as stable as he ever is), Rondo and Tony Parker.

1-6 in order of who you want most to start for your team in 2021....healthy and in peak form with their heads in the right place.

I just feel like reading some takes on people we (mostly)dont talk about as much while I kill time. I may not unbend my knees till like 11am. Its 7:30 as I type this. This is as good a use of my time as any.

LAL
01-15-2021, 08:41 AM
Deron Williams, Gary Payton, Chauncey Billups, Kyrie(assume hes willing to play and as stable as he ever is), Rondo and Tony Parker.

1-6 in order of who you want most to start for your team in 2021....healthy and in peak form with their heads in the right place.

I just feel like reading some takes on people we (mostly)dont talk about as much while I kill time. I may not unbend my knees till like 11am. Its 7:30 as I type this. This is as good a use of my time as any.
I think it's more about what you want for your team if you compare those. I would rather have a pure pg like prime payton who's great on both sides or parker combining them with taller talented scorer instead of building around kyrie's iso scoring and lack of true pg vision.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 08:51 AM
Sure.
Parker
Billups
Payton
Kyrie
Rondo
Deron

Gudo
01-15-2021, 08:55 AM
Kyrie
Parker
Rondo
Billups
Payton
Deron

coin24
01-15-2021, 09:09 AM
Kyrie
Payton
Parker
Billups
Rondo

Deron

But it depends who they’re surrounded with

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 09:46 AM

Get yourself a life bro.

Kblaze8855
01-15-2021, 09:47 AM
Surprised to see Deron as the consensus worst so far considering a good 40% of ISH had him as better than prime Chris Paul at the time.

Kblaze8855
01-15-2021, 09:47 AM
Get yourself a life bro.

Being paid to sit here suits me at the moment.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 09:48 AM
Kyrie
Payton
Parker
Billups
Rondo

Deron

But it depends who they’re surrounded with
Kyrie is literally is the only one on this list that was never the man when his team won, reached the playoffs, or made deep playoffs runs.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the club :cheers: I'm doing paperwork at home, working for the government :oldlol:

Life is beautiful :bowdown:

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 09:56 AM

Boss.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 09:58 AM
I too am bored and am here to talk shit.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 09:59 AM
If we talking about who's the better pure PG

Deronis number one (he literally averaged 12.8 ppg at one point. He has 2 or 3 seasons averaging 20 ppg and 10 apg and also averaged 18 ppg and 10+ apg in 4 seasons.

Rajon Rondo
Gary Payton
Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker
Kyrie Irving

If we talking scoring

Kyrie Irving
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker
Gary Payton
Rajon Rondo

If we talking about Defense

Gary Payton
Rajon Rondo
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Kyrie Irving
Tony Parker

coin24
01-15-2021, 09:59 AM
Kyrie is literally is the only one on this list that was never the man when his team won, reached the playoffs, or made deep playoffs runs.

Kyrie Batman is the reason the cavs won in 16..

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 10:02 AM
Welcome to the club :cheers: I'm doing paperwork at home, working for the government :oldlol:

Life is beautiful :bowdown:

Enjoy.

Sulico
01-15-2021, 10:03 AM
Sure.
Parker
Billups
Payton
Kyrie
Rondo
Deron

Very good list. I might've swapped Billups and Parker, other than that I totally agree.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 10:05 AM
Very good list. I might've swapped Billups and Parker, other than that I totally agree.

Thanks, yeah I remember Parker being a little more crafty in the clutch so I went with him.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 10:06 AM
Kyrie Batman is the reason the cavs won in 16..
Do you believe the Cavs are reaching the finals with only Love/Kyrie?

Alright then, shut the fk up idiot.

Real Men Wear Green
01-15-2021, 10:06 AM

I just feel like reading some takes on people we (mostly)dont talk about as much while I kill time. I may not unbend my knees till like 11am. Its 7:30 as I type this. This is as good a use of my time as any.You should get up and stretch every two hours at least.

I'm nit going to consider who would be better in what era and just go with how good they were in their own time.

1: Payton. DPoY and as good or better than any of the others on offense. Not even that arguable to me.

2: Deron Williams. Seeing as we are only going with peak and not concerning ourselves with longevity, 20/10 with solid defense.

3: Billups. Most well-rounded player of this group and from the outside looking in the best leader.

4: Irving. Probably the best scorer on this list but only defends when he feels like it (he can/could but it's not his normal style) and doesn't get many assists compared to the rest of this list. Would be last if I factored in durability and is the last guy on this list I would want if I went with an evaluation based purely on my judgment.

5: Parker. I think he could have done more in his peak if he was surrounded by less talent so I'm giving him a little edge over Rondo, because he was better equipped to take a game over offensively than Rondo even though RR was a much better defender and better at setting teammates up.

6: Rondo. Really hate putting him here, and for the record the only guy on this list he never got to show himself to be a match for is GP due of course to age. Payton was the only better defender and none of them was a better passer. But that jumper was terrible and teams used it against him. A shame he didn't develop his shooting before he tore his ACL, might have been 2nd on this list.

Wally450
01-15-2021, 10:24 AM
Tony Parker
Chauncey Billups
Gary Payton
Rondo
Deron Williams
Kyrie

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 10:29 AM
Tony Parker
Chauncey Billups
Gary Payton
Rondo
Deron Williams
Kyrie

None of these guys except Deron averaged 20/10 let alone 18/10. Deron Williams did it 5 times combined. The only Pg who averaged more than 10 ppg other than Deron is Rondo. The rest never did not even once.

Kyrie is a Shooting Guard.

Y'all are idiots. We are talking about point guards.

Wally450
01-15-2021, 10:33 AM
None of these guys except Deron averaged 20/10 let alone 18/10. Deron Williams did it 5 times combined. The only Pg who averaged more than 10 ppg other than Deron is Rondo. The rest never did not even once.

Kyrie is a Shooting Guard.

Y'all are idiots. We are talking about point guards.

Cool. We have different opinions.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 10:36 AM
Cool. We have different opinions.
What is a point guard to you?
A guy who can score 30 ppg and give you 4-5 apg

or a guy who can score 15-20 ppg and gives you 10+ PPG.

You are confused about the position bro.

Real Men Wear Green
01-15-2021, 10:41 AM

You are applying an arbitrary assist standard to a position that is only defined by what label the player's coach wants to give them. Your distinction isn't important.

Wally450
01-15-2021, 10:48 AM

I don't just look at the points and assists.

I look at the defense and how they perform when the lights are the brightest.

Parker wasn't the best defender but was a vital part of the Spurs during the title runs
Chauncey was the leader of those Pistons teams. Could shut down the opposing PGs and do what he needed to on the offensive end. 17/6~ with great defense. What else do you want?

I'm not saying Deron is bad, there's just other PGs I'd take before him.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 10:53 AM
I don't just look at the points and assists.

I look at the defense and how they perform when the lights are the brightest.

Parker wasn't the best defender but was a vital part of the Spurs during the title runs
Chauncey was the leader of those Pistons teams. Could shut down the opposing PGs and do what he needed to on the offensive end. 17/6~ with great defense. What else do you want?

I'm not saying Deron is bad, there's just other PGs I'd take before him.
Deron Williams reached a conference final (as the man) with Utah.

What has Kyrie accomplished other than playing next to LeBron and getting carried?
Just like Deron, Kyrie had his own teams (Cleveland & Boston) and where did he lead them?

Even if you don't look at the numbers. Deron had Boozer, old Pierce, KG and Joe Johnson. Kyrie played next to LeBron, Love, Tatum, Brown, Hayward and now KD/Harden.

Do you take that into consideration or that doesn't matter to you :oldlol:

Ghost1
01-15-2021, 10:54 AM
1. Tony Parker

Oldschool:
2. Payton
3. Billups

Cancer:
Irving, Williams, Rondo

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 10:58 AM
1. Tony Parker

Oldschool:
2. Payton
3. Billups

Cancer:
Irving, Williams, Rondo
You don't know basketball

Wally450
01-15-2021, 11:11 AM
Deron Williams reached a conference final (as the man) with Utah.

What has Kyrie accomplished other than playing next to LeBron and getting carried?
Just like Deron, Kyrie had his own teams (Cleveland & Boston) and where did he lead them?

Even if you don't look at the numbers. Deron had Boozer, old Pierce, KG and Joe Johnson. Kyrie played next to LeBron, Love, Tatum, Brown, Hayward and now KD/Harden.

Do you take that into consideration or that doesn't matter to you :oldlol:

What the hell are you even arguing about? I put Deron above Kyrie.

Jasper
01-15-2021, 11:16 AM
Deron Williams, Gary Payton, Chauncey Billups, Kyrie, Rondo and Tony Parker.
Tony Parker
Glove
Chauncey
Rondo
Kyrie
Deron Williams
*Of all these guards I love Rondo his nail it mentality in the playoffs
But of all the guards listed Deron Williams was my all time fav of these guys.. Coming out of Illinois he was more of a shooter and
molded himself into a great PG under Sloan. (He was a great kick passer , challenged the low block with slashing , and kept
defenses more honest , with his walk down the court and pulled up with a top of the key jumper. (It was a shame he left Utah)

Gudo
01-15-2021, 11:29 AM
The conditions here are that the players are in peak healthy form and in their right head.

If you’re looking for defensive pgs who will facilitate, then payton, rondo and billups fit the bill.

But if we’re looking for a pg in 2021, kyrie in his right mind, that will play defense and his peak offensive arsenal to me is the beat pg to pick up.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 11:50 AM
The conditions here are that the players are in peak healthy form and in their right head.

If you’re looking for defensive pgs who will facilitate, then payton, rondo and billups fit the bill.

But if we’re looking for a pg in 2021, kyrie in his right mind, that will play defense and his peak offensive arsenal to me is the beat pg to pick up.
I will still pick prime Deron Williams over Kyrie, Parker, Billups & Rondo.

People forgot his Utah Jazz days. And even with the Nets before KG and Pierce arrived.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 11:52 AM
Tony Parker
Glove
Chauncey
Rondo
Kyrie
Deron Williams
*Of all these guards I love Rondo his nail it mentality in the playoffs
But of all the guards listed Deron Williams was my all time fav of these guys.. Coming out of Illinois he was more of a shooter and
molded himself into a great PG under Sloan. (He was a great kick passer , challenged the low block with slashing , and kept
defenses more honest , with his walk down the court and pulled up with a top of the key jumper. (It was a shame he left Utah)
He is my second favorite point guard next to Jason Kidd who's my favorite player ever.

Clifton
Not ranking Payton because I wasn't around for him. I started following the NBA around '02, and I never remember being impressed with him. When I watch old games, I'm not impressed with him either. But I wasn't there when he was defending Jordan in the Finals etc.

1. Kyrie
2. Chauncey
3. Rondo
4. Parker
5. Deron

Kyrie is the AI of this era. Most talented little man of his era. Genius with the ball in his hands. Attitude and personality problems that correspond with the age in which he's playing. Needs a very specific team around him or there will be issues.

Chauncey has much better character than Kyrie, but Kyrie is a wizard and Chauncey a mere mortal. Chauncey is clutch but so is Kyrie so the difference in intangibles is lessened.

Rondo and Parker- I take Rondo in a vacuum, but Parker is the better choice for many teams. If you already have a team captain / defensive leader type (Duncan, Draymond), or a good coach with a strong personality (Pop, Carlisle), Parker is the better call. But Rondo's player-coach ability is huge, in a league today where it's hard to find leadership, where most players and coaches are uncomfortable holding guys to account.

Deron is the worst. Didn't like him when he was good. Couldn't get along with a HOF coach, took stupid 3s, fell off a cliff as soon as he was given the reins of a team.

RRR3
The fact that no one is ranking the obvious best player on the list first (Payton) is hilarious. ISH is full of the absolute dumbest people on earth.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 12:00 PM
Sure.
Parker
Billups
Payton
Kyrie
Rondo
Deron

Details:
Parker is super clutch, I trust this guy to take a last second shot for my squad any time. A weiner.

Billups. 3 point gunner and elite floor general. Not as gifted as the others but has the entangibles.

Payton. Elite d, super athletic. Doesnt have the three point consistency but has everything else and is a floor general avg 20+, 10a+ in his prime

Kyrie is the most gifted offensively, has a clutch gene but has never been a great floor general and has some durability issues

Rondo. What I said about Kyrie but the floor general version. Gifted floor general, never been a great shooter. Durability issues.

Deron. Very good all around game and solid floor general. Didn't win any titles so he's last.

tpols
01-15-2021, 12:07 PM
If we're talking for a playoff run with all these guys at their peaks it's honestly too close to call. Kyrie, Tony Parker, and D-Will have the highest offensive potential. Rondo, Payton, and Billups are better floor generals and defenders though. It's pretty much impossible to rank them. Nets D-Will left a sour taste in my mouth though. He straight up quit. If I had to choose any of these guys for the long term to be on my franchise it would be Gary Payton.

tpols
01-15-2021, 12:18 PM
When I look at the splits though, Gary Payton was surprisingly efficient in an era it was hard to be. He's in the positive heavily in the 90's playoffs. Although it's also shown that Shawn Kemp and Nate McMillan were the best defenders on the Sonics. Don't know how he won DPOY when he wasn't even the best defender on his squad.

Kblaze8855
01-15-2021, 12:37 PM
When I look at the splits though, Gary Payton was surprisingly efficient in an era it was hard to be. He's in the positive heavily in the 90's playoffs. Although it's also shown that Shawn Kemp and Nate McMillan were the best defenders on the Sonics. Don't know how he won DPOY when he wasn't even the best defender on his squad.

He was the best on his squad. Then Nate. Kemp was effective but too foul prone and aggressive.

Nate is an underrated defender and his ability to press people helped when teams would try to get the ball away from Payton’s man to bring it up but GP was the stopper. He totally removed some stars from games at times.

He terrorized Tim Hardaway now and then. Not always of course...but he could personally change a star guards approach.

L.Kizzle
01-15-2021, 12:46 PM
Am I missing why Payton isn't running away with this?
He's the best player here and can jack up 3's if this what it's based on.

tpols
01-15-2021, 01:09 PM
He was the best on his squad. Then Nate. Kemp was effective but too foul prone and aggressive.

Nate is an underrated defender and his ability to press people helped when teams would try to get the ball away from Payton’s man to bring it up but GP was the stopper. He totally removed some stars from games at times.

He terrorized Tim Hardaway now and then. Not always of course...but he could personally change a star guards approach.

I see what you're saying GP had to guard the best guy every time so his metrics are probably affected by that.

Wally450
01-15-2021, 02:58 PM
The fact that no one is ranking the obvious best player on the list first (Payton) is hilarious. ISH is full of the absolute dumbest people on earth.

And you've got 35,000 posts arguing with them. :oldlol:

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 03:28 PM
Of course, the commie rrr3 cant deal with it. His robotic mind can't comprehend non-systemic opinions. A slave to Marx.

dbugz
01-15-2021, 03:39 PM
Kyrie
TP
Payton
Billups
Rajon
Deron

Axe
01-15-2021, 06:53 PM
Of course, the commie rrr3 cant deal with it. His robotic mind can't comprehend non-systemic opinions. A slave to Marx.
Lol

SouBeachTalents
01-15-2021, 07:03 PM
This is taking into account everything, ability, fit, intangibles etc

Billups
Payton
Kyrie
D- Will
Parker
Rondo

RRR3
01-15-2021, 07:05 PM
Am I missing why Payton isn't running away with this?
He's the best player here and can jack up 3's if this what it's based on.
Wow, a sane poster. Finally. This is ISH, that’s why.

RRR3
01-15-2021, 07:07 PM
This is taking into account everything, ability, fit, intangibles etc

Billups
Payton
Kyrie
D- Will
Parker
Rondo
When was Billups ever as good as Payton? Dafuq is going on in this thread :biggums:

SouBeachTalents
01-15-2021, 07:09 PM
When was Billups ever as good as Payton? Dafuq is going on in this thread :biggums:
Billups was a significantly better shooter and would be able to fit onto basically any squad seamlessly. That wouldn't be the case with Payton imo

LoneyROY7
01-15-2021, 07:16 PM
Surprised to see Deron as the consensus worst so far considering a good 40% of ISH had him as better than prime Chris Paul at the time.

Your legacy is gonna take a big hit when you fall off as bad and as quick as Deron did.

Just think, CP is literally still a difference maker right now, while DWill hasn't played meaningful basketball in about 6 years.

LoneyROY7
01-15-2021, 07:20 PM
Damn, I hadn't looked through this thread...but Billups is overrated for sure. I mean the man could play D and he had a sweet pull-up 3 game, but ranking him over all these guys is kinda ridiculous.

NBAGOAT
01-15-2021, 07:39 PM
I’m taking Payton but not even for his years with kemp. He was putting up like 23/9 and carrying mediocre teams to the playoffs. None of the other pgs have shown that. Ofc the kemp years show he can be an important piece on a contender too.

Manny98
01-15-2021, 07:50 PM

:facepalm

Manny98
01-15-2021, 07:52 PM
Billups
Payton
Kyrie

Gap

Parker
Rondo

Gap

Deron ( He's probably the one player I genuinely despise so he's last by default for me)

RRR3
01-15-2021, 07:54 PM
I’m taking Payton but not even for his years with kemp. He was putting up like 23/9 and carrying mediocre teams to the playoffs. None of the other pgs have shown that. Ofc the kemp years show he can be an important piece on a contender too.
:applause:

RRR3
01-15-2021, 07:55 PM
Manny showing off that 42 iq again.

RRR3
01-15-2021, 07:56 PM
You idiots do realize almost everyone has Payton top 50 all time and none of the other guys are even close? Like this shouldn’t be hard.

SouBeachTalents
01-15-2021, 08:14 PM
You idiots do realize almost everyone has Payton top 50 all time and none of the other guys are even close? Like this shouldn’t be hard.
So is Iverson, doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have lesser ranked guards on my team over him

dankok8
01-15-2021, 08:32 PM
Kyrie
Payton
Deron
Billups
Parker
Rondo

Deron is getting super-underrated these days. Like kblaze said a lot of people like a sizable minority maybe 30-40% of people thought Deron was better than CP3 and that's when Paul was at his peak around 2008. He was a big strong point guard with a great first step, good jumper, excellent passing and his size made him a good defender at times too. Too bad he couldn't maintain it...

Kyrie over Payton may seem controversial but at his best he's the better basketball player IMO. Payton was super talented and such a pest on D that even as a guard he gets a lot of points for that but Kyrie is just a scoring machine.

Gohan
01-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Deron is getting mad disrespected in this thread

HylianNightmare
01-15-2021, 08:36 PM
kyrie
Payton
Parker
Rondo
Billups
Williams

dankok8
01-15-2021, 08:38 PM
Pretty sure kblaze wants us to compare them as basketball players not legacy-wise. Obviously Kyrie is probably last or only ahead of Rondo in terms of legacy. But as a basketball player I don't see a name on there more talented i.e. better at basketball than Kyrie.

Axe
01-15-2021, 08:38 PM
Payton
Billups
Rondo
Kyrie
Parker
Williams

HBK_Kliq_2
01-15-2021, 08:42 PM
1. Gary Payton
2. Kyrie Irving
3. Chauncey Billups
4. Deron Williams
5. Tony Parker
6. Rajon Rondo

RRR3
01-15-2021, 08:46 PM
Pretty sure kblaze wants us to compare them as basketball players not legacy-wise. Obviously Kyrie is probably last or only ahead of Rondo in terms of legacy. But as a basketball player I don't see a name on there more talented i.e. better at basketball than Kyrie.
When has Kyrie ever led a team the way Payton has? He’s never even received a vote for MVP. Not once. Payton finished top 10 in MVP voting 8 times, one time coming in as high as 3rd. Look at all-NBA teams too. Kyrie has never been considered as high up in the leagues hierarchy as Payton was when he was playing. That’s just facts.

DoctorP
01-15-2021, 08:46 PM

Cry some more.

Axe
01-15-2021, 08:48 PM
They probably have kyrie on top because he was #1 overall pick way back ten years ago. :confusedshrug:

L.Kizzle
01-15-2021, 08:50 PM

And Kenny Anderson was probably more talented than Jason Kidd from the eye test, right?

Wally450
01-15-2021, 08:50 PM
Lol, people getting so mad that people have opinions that differ from theirs.

PeroAntic
01-15-2021, 08:52 PM
1. Derrick Rose
2. everyone else in no particular order

:cheers:

dankok8
01-15-2021, 09:18 PM
When has Kyrie ever led a team the way Payton has? He’s never even received a vote for MVP. Not once. Payton finished top 10 in MVP voting 8 times, one time coming in as high as 3rd. Look at all-NBA teams too. Kyrie has never been considered as high up in the leagues hierarchy as Payton was when he was playing. That’s just facts.

My gut tells me I would take Kyrie if I had a choice. But it's very close. I agree with your logic.

I took Kyrie because the OP said in 2021. I don't think Payton could play that kind of defense today when you can't touch people. Defense is simply less valuable in today's NBA than 20 years ago in general.

k0kakw0rld
01-15-2021, 09:51 PM

Basketball isn't just dribbling the ball and hitting clutch shots. You are wrong.

dankok8
01-16-2021, 12:09 AM
Basketball isn't just dribbling the ball and hitting clutch shots. You are wrong.

Who said about hitting clutch shots? Kyrie is the best offensive player on that list by some distance. I hesitated with Payton but the Glove wouldn't be the Glove in this era. You just can't touch guys on the perimeter. The modern league is all about offense. Especially for guards... For big men you still gotta be able to deter drives and bother finishes at the rim but man to man D on the perimeter is just about dead at this point.

k0kakw0rld
01-16-2021, 12:32 AM
Who said about hitting clutch shots? Kyrie is the best offensive player on that list by some distance. I hesitated with Payton but the Glove wouldn't be the Glove in this era. You just can't touch guys on the perimeter. The modern league is all about offense. Especially for guards... For big men you still gotta be able to deter drives and bother finishes at the rim but man to man D on the perimeter is just about dead at this point.
We talking point guard position not who's the better offensive player. You got a guy who averaged 20/10 2x and 18/10 3x in his career. No other point guard on that list was ever able to accomplish that or even come close to that. It's laughable because D-Will is getting judged for his last seasons. The man was a killer period.

goozeman
01-16-2021, 03:48 AM
Assuming all-around rankings that include both tangibles and intangibles, I have it like this.

Payton - Easily the best. Elite two-way player. All-time great PG. A pit bull and alpha on the court. Fearless competitor. Number one pick type guy and franchise centerpiece from the PG position -- a rarity.

Parker - Probably the hardest point guard to defend on the list other than Kyrie. Elite first step and incredible quickness. Scary player to watch if you happened to be a fan of the team playing against him. I actually hated watching him score in the paint he did it so effortlessly. Championship mentality. Averaged 20ppg at 24-years-old in a championship run. Anchored a dynasty at PG position for a decade.

Rondo -- Great intangibles and floor general. Heady player. Supremely gifted as an athlete for his position, but inconsistent offensively.

Billups -- Same as Rondo. Very similar IMHO. Super intelligent PG, great floor general, and competitor. Really I have Rondo and Billups about tied.

Kyrie -- The best pure scorer out of the whole group. What can you say about Kyrie? I'm a huge fan of his game, but the intangibles just aren't there. Does the kid even like basketball? On just pure skill, yea I could see how someone could rank him really high I guess.

Williams -- Initial build-up of his career in Utah this guy looked like he was heading to the Hall of Fame, but he dropped off just as he should have been entering his peak and really never was elite again after that. Could never stay healthy and that has to be taken into consideration. Still had a solid career.

Reggie43
01-16-2021, 04:08 AM
Got triggered seeing Payton bundled up with those other players lol

Clifton
01-16-2021, 02:02 PM
Could someone who was around for Payton help me appreciate him? What should I watch for? Did he direct traffic? See passes no one else could see? Have one or two unstoppable signature moves? Have a sense for the clutch moment?

All I've ever heard about Payton is the following:
1. He was a great defender. Shut people down.
2. His numbers were pretty good.
3. He was really great, just trust us.

When I watch old games I just don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for. On offense he looks to melike an above-average player who just ends up with big numbers because by the force of his own personality, he controls the ball a lot.

(Obv. I know he was a great defender; I just don't give a shit because he was a guard and guards can only guard one player at a time. If he takes a guy out of a game it's the coach's fault for letting that happen. Now, if he was a defensive captain like Draymond, KG, or Rondo, that would justify much of the hype to me.)

Deron is getting super-underrated these days. Like kblaze said a lot of people like a sizable minority maybe 30-40% of people thought Deron was better than CP3 and that's when Paul was at his peak around 2008. He was a big strong point guard with a great first step, good jumper, excellent passing and his size made him a good defender at times too. Too bad he couldn't maintain it...
Those people were proven wrong by the rest of Deron's career. He showed that he benefitted enormously from his teammates, coach, and system. If he had stuck with his situation and allowed it to define his career, maybe we'd remember him differently. But then he would be a different player than he was.

I'm not saying he wasn't an all-star before the injuries; but everyone else in this list is too.