PDA

View Full Version : Wilt Chamberlain running the fast break and other various plays against the Celtics

hiphopanonymous
01-19-2021, 03:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezwvlenIcbE

Starting to look very clear that he was both quicker and showed his coordination and versatility more when he was playing in his prime compared to his defensive disciplined Lakers years. He flies out of nowhere on blocks and really goes after the ball. Looks totally natural handling the ball off a rebound as well. A few years ago this kind of footage of him was unheard of due to such low availability

Gohan
01-19-2021, 03:31 PM
His first fast break should of been an up and down.

And I like wilt

hiphopanonymous
01-19-2021, 03:33 PM
His first fast break should of been an up and down.

And I like wilt
Frame by frame on the editing block the ball is totally out of his hands before his foot hits so I disagree. He deliberately hangs to make it a close call / keep the defense guessing though

jongib369
01-19-2021, 04:40 PM
Great clip! I'm glad we've continued to find these gems, I was convinced we had found it all. Especially after hearing about that fire horror story.

Have you thought about making a in depth video about the rules back then? Combining what you've made, and talking about other changes would be eye-opening not just for casuals. Saw a few videos from the channel Thinking Basketball and was left with the impression he could use something like that to help him understand pre 80s basketball better.

https://youtu.be/s2qBs6qp8Lo

dankok8
01-20-2021, 02:40 PM
70s Fan channel on YT put more extensive highlights of this game. Wilt was a terror on the glass and had some nice blocks but he shot poorly in this one in a 4-point loss. It was the second regular season game between the San Francisco Warriors and Boston Celtics on November 25, 1964.

Wilt: 37 points, 32 rebounds, 5 assists on 17/44 FG 3/9 FT in 48 minutes
Russell: 16 points, 24 rebounds, 6 assists on 5/15 FG 6/10 FT in 42 minutes

Psileas
01-20-2021, 05:06 PM
Unreal reflexes once again, when getting the ball out of Russell's reach. I get it may be partially because of the lower definition videos of the era, but Wilt is the big man whom I've seen performing more "blur-like" moves than anyone else, like some sort of oversized martial artist. People calling Shaq "more explosive" just because he was (allowed to be) dunking more emphatically and using his weight more have no clue what they're talking about.