PDA

View Full Version : President Biden stonewalls the keystone pipeline

paksat
01-20-2021, 09:23 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/president-biden-signs-executive-orders-on-face-mask-mandate-keystone-pipeline-paris-accord/ar-BB1cV4F5?li=BBnb7Kz

among 14 other executive actions, no other president has signed more than 1 of these orders upon entering office like this.

From 2017:

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/27/news/economy/trump-keystone-jobs/index.html

"The company and other supporters argue that the pipeline would create jobs indirectly for companies that sell products and services used to build the pipeline. The State Department report estimates that there would be a total of 42,000 indirect jobs created, with a total of $2 billion in wages. That comes to an average of about about $47,000 in wages per job.

TransCanada also pointed out that there would be benefits beyond the jobs and wages, including "significant property tax revenues, as well as sales and use and other tax revenues, to counties and states along the proposed project route."

:lol

in the last 2-3 weeks gas has gone up 30-40 cents a gallon more in my area :lol:applause:

But you know who is really really mad about this more than anyone? It's probably Canada with their economy approaching madagascar levels. Trudeau is all like :biggums: right now with biden. With the rise in prices, expect rises in food prices along with everything else that needs to be transported.

Least we don't got some guy on twitter being mean tho :lol

Nanners
01-20-2021, 09:25 PM
40 cents a gallon? where do you live, 1969?

paksat
01-20-2021, 09:28 PM
40 cents a gallon? where do you live, 1969?

gasoline here in florida around the end of december was 1.99 to 2.09'ish and now it is anywhere from 2.29'ish to 2.40'ish being generate.

here i'll edit it so it's more clear and smaller brains can prevail.

JohnnySic
01-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Well, what did people expect? Voting Democrat doesn't just mean feeling woke. It also means a lighter wallet. Higher gas price are the least of it. Get ready for higher taxes, more expensive health insurance, higher utility costs, etc.

Nanners
01-20-2021, 09:33 PM
gasoline here in florida around the end of december was 1.99 to 2.09'ish and now it is anywhere from 2.29'ish to 2.40'ish being generate.

here i'll edit it so it's more clear and smaller brains can prevail.

plz edit more, my micro brain still too small

bladefd
01-20-2021, 11:20 PM
I never supported Keystone pipeline. I was hoping Obama would stop it, but he didn't. Glad Biden stopped it. I want him to stop the drilling in the Arctic too.

Biden already has plans to invest hundreds of billions into clean energy. Hope he re-instates the federal tax credits for buying electric vehicles from Tesla as well.

Mr. Woke
01-20-2021, 11:35 PM
Good.

Lol at the Republicucks crying about the stonewalling of their precious pipeline!

paksat
01-21-2021, 06:38 AM
Good.

Lol at the Republicucks crying about the stonewalling of their precious pipeline!

No one cares about anything you post, you're the most blatant poster on this forum. Get a job and start paying taxes and then you'll start to care. Until then your welfare and food stamps that are being provided to you by people like me make you an irrelevant nobody that shouldn't have the ability to post on a forum, let alone vote.

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 09:08 AM
If he wants to move the US to be more 'green' that's fine, it's his vision. But there really should be better timing. In a time where a lot of people are struggling, he's put peoples job in jeopardy as well as potential increase in gas prices for the rest of us.

When the country is thriving again we should look to transition those jobs from dirty energy to clean not just cut the project and those employed by it.

Mr. Woke
01-21-2021, 09:30 AM
No one cares about anything you post, you're the most blatant poster on this forum. Get a job and start paying taxes and then you'll start to care. Until then your welfare and food stamps that are being provided to you by people like me make you an irrelevant nobody that shouldn't have the ability to post on a forum, let alone vote.

Quit projecting.

Biden's economy will provide plenty of jobs for hicks like you. You cannot stew in your mobile home forever boyo.

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 10:11 AM
There is a massive oil glut right now, the price of oil literally went negative during covid. OPEC has been having to limit oil production for years now because the price is too low, it completely collapsed. Honestly there couldn't be a better time for this, we have too much oil...and that probably won't change for years as the world transitions to electric.

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 10:15 AM
There is a massive oil glut right now, the price of oil literally went negative during covid. OPEC has been having to limit oil production for years now because the price is too low, it completely collapsed. Honestly there couldn't be a better time for this, we have too much oil...and that probably won't change for years as the world transitions to electric.

It's not about oil or oil preserves, it's about peoples jobs.

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 10:17 AM
It's not about oil or oil preserves, it's about peoples jobs.

The low price of oil cost many jobs...high oil prices creates more.

Thus OPEC halting oil production... they need to keep the price up.

The "sweet spot" is around $75 a barrel...enough to keep gas prices low, and oil workers paid.

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 10:21 AM
The low price of oil cost many jobs...high oil prices creates more.

Thus OPEC halting oil production... they need to keep the price up.

The "sweet spot" is around $75 a barrel...enough to keep gas prices low, and oil workers paid.

We will never have control of oil prices, that has to do with OPEC price fixing.

What we do have control over is when we opt to cancel keystone and how we do it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bidens-keystone-pipeline-kill-11611184519
https://aopl.org/stories/aopl-laments-jobs-lost-on-biden-s-on-first-day
https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/keystone-pipeline-canceled-let-the-layoffs-begin
https://time.com/5931945/keystone-xl-oil-pipeline-biden/

This is a direct cause of job loss, no question about it.

10,000 jobs just like that.

Like I said, i'm not arguing against going against the Keystone deal, if you want to get rid of it fine. But there is a better way to do it than to just cut those who worked there.

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 10:25 AM
We absolutely have control of prices, the US is the #1 producer of oil in the world and the uprising of the fracking industry is what collapsed oil and forced OPEC to do what they are doing.

Put covid on top of it, where the world produces oil but no one is driving...it sent oil negative...oil workers laid off.

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 10:32 AM
We absolutely have control of prices, the US is the #1 producer of oil in the world and the uprising of the fracking industry is what collapsed oil and forced OPEC to do what they are doing.

Put covid on top of it, where the world produces oil but no one is driving...it sent oil negative...oil workers laid off.

Who cares if the US produces the majority of oil if most of it goes to reserves.

OPEC controls the majority... what like 70% of the worlds oil? and they act as a single entity in terms of regulating supply.

Anyways back on subject, the keystone cancellation could have been done at a better time. It's easy to say no better time than now when you're not one of the 10k being unemployed today.

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Who cares if the US produces the majority of oil if most of it goes to reserves.

OPEC controls the majority... what like 70% of the worlds oil? and they act as a single entity in terms of regulating supply.

Anyways back on subject, the keystone cancellation could have been done at a better time. It's easy to say no better time than now when you're not one of the 10k being unemployed today.

I'm trying to explain that flooding the country with more oil during an oil glut ultimately COSTS jobs....again, that is why OPEC has been curtailing supply, because when there is too much oil it equates to EVERYONE being out of a job.

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to explain that flooding the country with more oil during an oil glut ultimately COSTS jobs....again, that is why OPEC has been curtailing supply, because when there is too much oil it equates to EVERYONE being out of a job.

Who is saying to increase oil production? I am saying continue the build of the Keystone pipeline which does NOT produce any oil. It allows us to produce oil at a lower cost because of more efficient transportation. It alone does not directly increase or decrease ANY of our oil production.

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 10:58 AM
Who is saying to increase oil production? I am saying continue the build of the Keystone pipeline which does NOT produce any oil. It allows us to produce oil at a lower cost because of more efficient transportation. It alone does not directly increase or decrease ANY of our oil production.

Yes it does, it would directly increase production...and even aside from that, when we are in an oil glut during a pandemic where many aren't driving, there is no reason for a pipeline.

Honestly, as the world transitions to electric, there might not ever be reason...we might have hit peak...time to slow down on oil altogether in every sector

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 11:06 AM
Yes it does, it would directly increase production...and even aside from that, when we are in an oil glut during a pandemic where many aren't driving, there is no reason for a pipeline.

Honestly, as the world transitions to electric, there might not ever be reason...we might have hit peak...time to slow down on oil altogether in every sector
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/business/keystone-xl-map/images/keystone-xl-map.jpg

So tell me, what part of the pipeline is tapping into the earth's oil?

You dont build infrastructure for when you need it, you do it before that need.

Okay so we need to reduce oil production... great I can see why you feel that way. But why does it have to be now versus a year from now? We've been producing oil for how long? Why do we have to reduce it and jobs in the height of a pandemic? Also, by creating more efficient transportation of oil - you can produce oil at a lower cost so even low production of oil can be made profitable.

But again -- before you start changing subject again, what part of the pipeline is collecting crude oil from the earth and altering our production?

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 11:12 AM
you just said it allows producers to produce at a lower cost "because of efficient transportation"...that directly equates to more production

Patrick Chewing
01-21-2021, 11:17 AM
How many jobs will be lost because of this?

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 11:20 AM
you just said it allows producers to produce at a lower cost...that directly equates to more production

You are confusing the capability of increasing production with actual production. This isn't a pipeline intended to go into earth and collect more oil. This is a mode of transportation allowing one nation to deliver oil to another. It has nothing to do with oil production but rather the transportation of the oil produced.

Building the Keystone pipeline affects production 0.

Let me give you an analogy. We have our resident Mr. Woke, he lives a mile away from McDonalds where he works. He has to get up at 7:30 to walk there and and clock in at 8, flips 1,000 patties and clocks out at 5 and is home at 5:30. Now, if you offer Mr. Woke a better method of transportation such as warriorfan's bike, he can wake up at 7:45 get to work at 8 and leave at 5 and be home at 5:15. You've saved Mr. Woke 30 minutes the entire day.

The bicycle did not change the output of Mr. Woke, but HIS time efficiency - and in the case of keystone the cost of transportation via trucking vs pipes which is greater because you pay for transporting.

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 11:21 AM
https://fortune.com/2020/10/05/oil-gas-jobs-transition-climate-coronavirus/

^^^ here is a good break down of the state of the oil industry right now

in short 100,000+ jobs lost in the in US last year because there is too much oil right now...we literally need LESS oil production

the "sweet spot" for a healthy oil industry and low gas prices is $75 a barrel

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 11:23 AM
You are confusing the capability of increasing production with actual production. This isn't a pipeline intended to go into earth and collect more oil. This is a mode of transportation allowing one nation to deliver oil to another. It has nothing to do with oil production but rather the transportation of the oil produced.

Building the Keystone pipeline affects production 0.

Let me give you an analogy. We have our resident Mr. Woke, he lives a mile away from McDonalds where he works. He has to get up at 7:30 to walk there and and clock in at 8, flips 1,000 patties and clocks out at 5 and is home at 5:30. Now, if you offer Mr. Woke a better method of transportation such as a bike, he can wake up at 7:45 get to work at 8 and leave at 5 and be home at 5:15.

The bicycle did not change the output of Mr. Woke, but HIS time efficiency - and in the case of keystone the cost of transportation via trucking vs pipes which is greater because you pay for transporting.

when producers don't have to spend their recourses on transportation it allows them to spend their recourses on more production...obviously

come on man

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 11:24 AM
https://fortune.com/2020/10/05/oil-gas-jobs-transition-climate-coronavirus/

^^^ here is a good break down of the state of the oil industry right now

in short 100,000+ jobs lost in the in US last year because there is too much oil right now...we literally need LESS oil production

the "sweet spot" for a healthy oil industry and low gas prices is $75 a barrel

Okay, there is no getting through to you. No one is saying increase production!!!
They Keystone pipeline will literally decrease cost of oil production because of more efficient transportation of the goods allowing us to produce at lower levels with profitability.

But you somehow don't understand this...

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 11:28 AM
if what you were creating for $100 a unit now suddenly costs $50 a unit to produce...IT ALLOWS YOU PRODUCE MORE

simple economics

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 11:30 AM
if what you were creating for $100 a unit now suddenly costs $50 a unit to produce...IT ALLOWS YOU PRODUCE MORE

simple economics

Yes, exactly, ALLOWS does not mean DOES. My car allows me to get to work fast 10min faster if I go above the speed limit, does not mean I go that fast.

You literally said, and here I quote

it would directly increase production

No, it ALLOWS

And this is what Ive been saying, here I quote:

No one is saying increase production!!!

Why would a oil company produce more oil if it was losing money producing in a oil war? Makes no sense The war on oil is won by producing oil at the lowest cost. That allows one to decrease production to a level only they can sustain

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 11:35 AM
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/k/keystone-xl-pipeline.asp

Proponents of the pipeline say that it will increase the supply of oil to the United States and that oil coming from a friendly neighboring country increases security.
since you won't listen to me...increased supply is one of the major selling points of the pipeline...MORE oil in the US

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 11:39 AM
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/k/keystone-xl-pipeline.asp

since you won't listen to me...increased supply is one of the major selling points of the pipeline...MORE oil in the US

Yes, that is a selling point, as is the ability to produce LOWER amounts of oil at a profit from the savings of transportation cost.
Answer my question, what part of the keystone pipeline is increasing oil supply directly. Directly is a single variable link.

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 11:46 AM
Yes, that is a selling point, as is the ability to produce LOWER amounts of oil at a profit from the savings of transportation cost.
Answer my question, what part of the keystone pipeline is increasing oil supply directly. Directly is a single variable link.
The part where it allows producers to produce at a lower cost...I mean come on man, obviously a massive pipeline is going to speed up the production cycle.

Also in your hypothetical where producers actually produce LESS with the pipeline, all that does is erase the previous oil transportation jobs anyway.

Patrick Chewing
01-21-2021, 11:50 AM
Nevermind, I did the research myself. About 60,000 jobs were lost yesterday with Biden's stroke of his pen.

:facepalm

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 12:05 PM
Nevermind, I did the research myself. About 60,000 jobs were lost yesterday with Biden's stroke of his pen.

Havent seen the number that high but I believe it. Sad... 60k families lost a part of their income. Good luck to them finding a job in the middle of a pandemic.

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 12:10 PM
The part where it allows producers to produce at a lower cost...I mean come on man, obviously a massive pipeline is going to speed up the production cycle.

Also in your hypothetical where producers actually produce LESS with the pipeline, all that does is erase the previous oil transportation jobs anyway.

It puts us in a better position on a global oil war. Remmeber when OPEC dumped oil onto our shores and we had to cut production because they gave it to us at a cost we couldnt even produce? That would be a thing of the past.

Transportation business is experiencing a shortage -- it would fix that. Also the greenhouse gasses those trucks put out would be gone. A cleaner America.

~primetime~
01-21-2021, 12:18 PM
It puts us in a better position on a global oil war. Remmeber when OPEC dumped oil onto our shores and we had to cut production because they gave it to us at a cost we couldnt even produce? That would be a thing of the past.

Transportation business is experiencing a shortage -- it would fix that. Also the greenhouse gasses those trucks put out would be gone. A cleaner America.

I don't think the pipeline is a black and white topic, plenty of grey...But at the end of the day it is oil consumption that would determine the success or failure of it and currently the world is producing more than it can consume while transitioning to electric.

Better off creating jobs elsewhere IMO...basic infrastructure in our cities or something we actually need right now

2ball
01-21-2021, 12:49 PM
I don't think the pipeline is a black and white topic, plenty of grey...But at the end of the day it is oil consumption that would determine the success or failure of it and currently the world is producing more than it can consume while transitioning to electric.

Better off creating jobs elsewhere IMO...basic infrastructure in our cities or something we actually need right now
Yeah but these are at the least middle income jobs lost forever. They are NOT being replaced by similar paying jobs. This is a fact

TheMan
01-21-2021, 01:30 PM

What are the bookies saying about Trump's electoral victory chances? To quote you...Vegas knows, right?

:roll:

bladefd
01-21-2021, 03:15 PM
Yeah but these are at the least middle income jobs lost forever. They are NOT being replaced by similar paying jobs. This is a fact

Clean energy jobs make good money.. Might as well transition to clean energy quicker while oil demand is at such a low due to covid.

Clean energy is not going to lose jobs. Every job lost from fossil fuels will be made up in clean energy. That's what people seem to don't understand. Clean energy needs plenty of labor workers and similar low education jobs as well.

bladefd
01-21-2021, 03:23 PM

How about we skip the hoops and directly divest from fossil fuels & inject the same money into clean energy sector? Electric trucks are just around the corner. In fact there are already a few electric trucks releasing soon. We can speed them up a bit.

There is no reason why we need to expand keystone pipeline. Jobs can be made up in clean energy sector. Investment money can divest from one dirty energy sector to clean energy. It's not rocket science. Oil/coal needs to go.

rawimpact
01-21-2021, 04:29 PM
How about we skip the hoops and directly divest from fossil fuels & inject the same money into clean energy sector? Electric trucks are just around the corner. In fact there are already a few electric trucks releasing soon. We can speed them up a bit.

There is no reason why we need to expand keystone pipeline. Jobs can be made up in clean energy sector. Investment money can divest from one dirty energy sector to clean energy. It's not rocket science. Oil/coal needs to go.

If you would have said solar tech i would have agreed despite its inefficiency. How much of our electricity comes from fossil fuels though? 63%. Even electric is not clean until we figure out how to make it without burning coal.

Jobs can be made many ways but there needs to be transitioning. You can't just fire 10k people today and hope jobs open up for them in the middle of a pandemic.

You guys seriously don't give a shit about these families losing their income do you?

Like i've said countless times, I don't care if biden wants to move away from keystone, or fossil fuels. There's a right way to make that transition and there's a wrong way in the middle of a pandemic.

To just put 10k people out of work to go green is not right.

BurningHammer
01-21-2021, 05:08 PM
It's a win for Native American people in both USA and Canada whose lands are on the project's path nonetheless. :cheers:

Mr. Woke
01-21-2021, 05:13 PM
Lol at folks who are still against clean energy at this point!

Patrick Chewing
01-21-2021, 05:44 PM
It's a win for Native American people in both USA and Canada whose lands are on the project's path nonetheless. :cheers:

Who do you think is working those lands ya doofus??

bladefd
01-21-2021, 08:11 PM
If you would have said solar tech i would have agreed despite its inefficiency. How much of our electricity comes from fossil fuels though? 63%. Even electric is not clean until we figure out how to make it without burning coal.

Jobs can be made many ways but there needs to be transitioning. You can't just fire 10k people today and hope jobs open up for them in the middle of a pandemic.

You guys seriously don't give a shit about these families losing their income do you?

Like i've said countless times, I don't care if biden wants to move away from keystone, or fossil fuels. There's a right way to make that transition and there's a wrong way in the middle of a pandemic.

To just put 10k people out of work to go green is not right.

Coal used to provide 40% of our electricity in 2015. It's down to around 27% last I checked few months ago.

Solar is where the future is and wind along the coasts. Our biggest limitation is not the actual generation but rather the storage - batteries. Batteries are costly but required for when the sun is down. Wind is not very consistent and guaranteed like the sun - although offshore wind farms have been pretty consistent but difficult to transfer electricity for very long ranges. We need more and better batteries.

10k jobs can be transitioned. I'm not saying close all oil/coal facilities next week but rather begin transition right now. It will take 5yrs minimum just to fully transition & shut down the facilities. Coal went down 13%, but that wasn't overnight. It's been in the works since 2010 at least. It took 5-7yrs before those facilities were taken apart. It's a very long complex process that takes years before it's completely cleared out. You don't just close the facility one day & walk away - perhaps they did that in Ukraine or Russia, but in America it has to be completely decommissioned and requires a thorough process for safety reasons. There are actually firms/businesses with thousands of jobs that people work with the task to decommission facilities. I actually studied this stuff in college and read couple books on it.

To put into perspective.. If Biden starts the process right now to decommission a further 10-12% of coal facilities, he won't be the president when the decommissioning process is finished. It would take couple years within that process to transition everyone over. In most cases, if you are nearing retirement, they just let you finish last 5yrs & go into retirement with whatever benefits that were promised. They don't fire you but they don't hire anyone new either. Once they retire, the facility is done & crews come in to take apart the facility, recycle what they can and dispose the rest.

Now with keystone, they just stop building. Anyone they were going to train/hire once facility was finished is terminated. Process just doesn't move on any further. Not like they were working there on an incomplete facility unless if they were the construction companies. The construction companies & those construction workers would lose those contracts and probably take a loss. But if the future is not in oil/coal, why continue building the facility? You are wasting money, time, resources for a facility that will be taken out of business in 7-8yrs by solar/wind/perhaps the new small nuclear reactors that were approved last year.

BurningHammer
01-21-2021, 11:11 PM

Who do you think is working those lands ya doofus??

Many pieces of those lands belong to Native Americans and Canadians.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2021/01/21/south-dakota-tribes-applaud-cancellation-biden-keystone-xl-pipeline/4243581001/

paksat
01-22-2021, 03:47 PM
What are the bookies saying about Trump's electoral victory chances? To quote you...Vegas knows, right?

:roll:

very sad that you can't keep to the topic so here:

democrats, "if you can't win, cheat!"

Patrick Chewing
01-22-2021, 04:02 PM
very sad that you can't keep to the topic so here:

democrats, "if you can't win, cheat!"

TheTacoMan: So Glad Trump is gone. Everything is peaceful now.

TheTacoMan: Yup. Very peaceful.

TheTacoMan: So much peace.

TheTacoMan:

TheTacoMan:

TheTacoMan: I wonder what Trump is doing.

KennyPowers
01-22-2021, 04:14 PM

TheTacoMan:

TheTacoMan:

Lol

Trump is prob at Maralago pouncing on some tight snatch.

Patrick Chewing
01-22-2021, 05:11 PM
Lol

Trump is prob at Maralago pouncing on some tight snatch.

17 year anniversary today between him and the former First Lady. :pimp:

Hard for TheTacoMan to stay married when he makes it public that he lusts after his own cousin.

Jasper
01-22-2021, 08:39 PM
threads like this and Patricks C. are beyond ignorant .... these are the same guys that backed a 2x impeached president...

warriorfan
01-22-2021, 09:11 PM

TheTacoMan:

TheTacoMan:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

BigKobeFan
01-22-2021, 09:16 PM
threads like this and Patricks C. are beyond ignorant .... these are the same guys that backed a 2x impeached president...

What was the impeachment grounds for #1. And what about #2

Nanners
01-23-2021, 03:48 AM
First of all, the idea that killing this pipeline is going to kill ~60k jobs or something is laughable. Yes there are thousands of jobs associated with the construction of this pipeline, but these are all temporary jobs, when the pipeline is built its not like there would be ~60k construction workers standing around getting paid indefinitely.

Anyway the main people who want this pipeline built are the Canadians and the Koch brothers... the Canadians want this because it allows them to export their hydrocarbons without the need to build a refinery or port that would export their heavy and dirty tar sands bitumen, and the Koch brothers want this pipeline because they have a giant gulf coast refinery that is optimized to refine the "dirtiest" forms of oil - which effectively means oil from the Canadian tar sands or the Venezuelan oil fields (why do you think the neocons are so desperate to topple Venezuelas govt anyway?).

IMO, Canada and the Kochs can go **** themselves.

bladefd
01-23-2021, 04:15 AM
First of all, the idea that killing this pipeline is going to kill ~60k jobs or something is laughable. Yes there are thousands of jobs associated with the construction of this pipeline, but these are all temporary jobs, when the pipeline is built its not like there would be ~60k construction workers standing around getting paid indefinitely.

Anyway the main people who want this pipeline built are the Canadians and the Koch brothers... the Canadians want this because it allows them to export their hydrocarbons without the need to build a refinery or port that would export their heavy and dirty tar sands bitumen, and the Koch brothers want this pipeline because they have a giant gulf coast refinery that is optimized to refine the "dirtiest" forms of oil - which effectively means oil from the Canadian tar sands or the Venezuelan oil fields (why do you think the neocons are so desperate to topple Venezuelas govt anyway?).

IMO, Canada and the Kochs can go **** themselves.

100% agreed.

I would further add that keystone xl would take 4-5yrs to complete and work was just 9 months in. Solar power costs keep on dropping and wind turbines too. Musk said tesla is planning to release a 25k Tesla in a few years and battery costs keep falling so 3yrs is very much within reach. We will never need the keystone pipeline. Solar/wind are already cheaper per kWh than coal/oil/natural gas. Can you imagine how much cheaper it would be by 2025 when the keystone xl goes online?? It is a complete waste of money - the Koch Brothers would export it all and just pocket the profits. Good thing Biden stopped it.

baudkarma
01-30-2021, 01:14 AM
The problem is that once the pipeline is completed, those jobs go away anyway. A relative handful of people can monitor the pipeline and keep it running.

That shale oil is going from Canada to the US already. It's being moved by truckers, hundreds of them, and they keep many other ancillary workers employed as well... mechanics, truck stop employees, tire manufacturers, etc. If/when the pipeline is completed, those people will be out of a job or facing a reduced income. Completing the pipeline does nothing more that allow oil companies to make additional profits.

And then there's the concern that the pipeline goes over the Ogallala aquifer, which is one of the largest freshwater reserves in the world and which provides water to over 2 million people. Gosh no, there's no way that the pipeline could spring a leak and poison the water supply! It's never happened before, right?

Facepalm
01-31-2021, 01:31 PM
The problem is that once the pipeline is completed, those jobs go away anyway. A relative handful of people can monitor the pipeline and keep it running.

That shale oil is going from Canada to the US already. It's being moved by truckers, hundreds of them, and they keep many other ancillary workers employed as well... mechanics, truck stop employees, tire manufacturers, etc. If/when the pipeline is completed, those people will be out of a job or facing a reduced income. Completing the pipeline does nothing more that allow oil companies to make additional profits.

And then there's the concern that the pipeline goes over the Ogallala aquifer, which is one of the largest freshwater reserves in the world and which provides water to over 2 million people. Gosh no, there's no way that the pipeline could spring a leak and poison the water supply! It's never happened before, right?:applause:

Don't let the facts get in the way of Trumptard fantasies

ZenMaster
01-31-2021, 02:18 PM

And then there's the concern that the pipeline goes over the Ogallala aquifer, which is one of the largest freshwater reserves in the world and which provides water to over 2 million people. Gosh no, there's no way that the pipeline could spring a leak and poison the water supply! It's never happened before, right?

How much of it is moved by truckers compared to trains though?

I'd be willing to bet that someone makes an awful lot of money shipping this stuff via trains, a good friend(business partner) of a lot of high level Democrats and who's name starts with W.

Ship each barrel for $30 dollars on long cargo trains and it adds up to billions per year real quick.

paksat
01-31-2021, 11:03 PM

well with this sound reasoning let's just stop all transportation over all the oceans because we might kill a sea turtle.

once the pipeline is completed, the jobs go away anyway.... dude have you ever worked construction? Installed a bath tub? Did a landscaping project? Guess what, those jobs go away too once the job is done... and then you get more jobs, crazy shit.

baudkarma
02-02-2021, 11:01 AM
well with this sound reasoning let's just stop all transportation over all the oceans because we might kill a sea turtle.

once the pipeline is completed, the jobs go away anyway.... dude have you ever worked construction? Installed a bath tub? Did a landscaping project? Guess what, those jobs go away too once the job is done... and then you get more jobs, crazy shit.

So now that the pipeline has been cancelled, the people who were building it will just get more jobs, right? Why all the fuss that they'll have to do it now instead of later?

Jasper
02-02-2021, 01:04 PM
[url]h.

TransCanada also pointed out that there would be benefits beyond the jobs and wages, including "significant property tax revenues, as well as sales and use and other tax revenues, to counties and states along the proposed project route."

:lol

in the last 2-3 weeks gas has gone up 30-40 cents a gallon more in my area :lol:applause:

But you know who is really really mad about this more than anyone? It's probably Canada with their economy approaching madagascar levels. Trudeau is all like :biggums: right now with biden. With the rise in prices, expect rises in food prices along with everything else that needs to be transported.

Least we don't got some guy on twitter being mean tho :lol

My gas stations in my local town went up 15 cents before Trump left office ... and has stabilized ever since..

Rocket
02-02-2021, 10:23 PM
Lol at folks who are still against clean energy at this point!
You have zero clue how much oil impacts your life in so many ways other than just energy. From oil you get the monomers that are used to make plastic, synthetic rubber, adhesives, styrofoam, nylon, polyester, and the list goes on. If you could generate 100% of our energy needs from solar and wind where do you think we would get the building block(aka monomers) used to make these synthetic things that impact so many aspects of our lives. Just think how your life would be impacted if there was no more plastic?

bladefd
02-02-2021, 11:04 PM
You have zero clue how much oil impacts your life in so many ways other than just energy. From oil you get the monomers that are used to make plastic, synthetic rubber, adhesives, styrofoam, nylon, polyester, and the list goes on. If you could generate 100% of our energy needs from solar and wind where do you think we would get the building block(aka monomers) used to make these synthetic things that impact so many aspects of our lives. Just think how your life would be impacted if there was no more plastic?

The thing is that you can use carbon capture technologies when making plastic inside a factory. With vehicles, you won't be able to because carbon capture technology would be too massive & expensive to put inside cars. It might be possible, but why go through the trouble to invent something like that when we already have rechargeable batteries that can be used in cars? Electricity, we can generate cheaper with solar/wind per kWh and also with nuclear powerplants (no greenhouse gas emissions).

Regardless, you can make plastic without oil. There is such a thing as bioplastics. Look it up.

Why do we need to burn coal/oil/natural gas again??

bobopenguin
02-03-2021, 12:57 AM
nuclear power is clean energy. i dont see u guys wanna build it behind ur backyard.

paksat
02-03-2021, 07:27 AM
My gas stations in my local town went up 15 cents before Trump left office ... and has stabilized ever since..

Cool

Mine just went up another 10 cents