PDA

View Full Version : Underlying problem with the Nets: minute management

Uncle Drew
01-21-2021, 04:09 PM
Before I start ranting about this, I'd like to say that I expect them to hit the market soon. First of all because they have to because their squad is far from a finished product, second of all because I think Marks is a somewhat capable GM. That being said, last nights game proved evident for most of their problems: from defense to depth and so on.

All problems that need to be addressed and will be addressed. However, they need to be quick about this, as all these problems will lead to another problem: minutes. Durant and Harden had to play 40 minutes each to squeeze out a W against the Magic, they had to play heavy minutes against the Bucks, and all three had to play close to or more than 50 minutes against the Cavs. Nash and management need to step up, because this isn't ideal. Especially for Durant, who might have to play extended minutes at center. Especially for Durant, coming off a terrible injury.

The Nets will blow some opponents out of the gym out of sheer offensive talent alone, but any close game becomes an immediate heavy load. LeBron and Davis play ~32 minutes a game, Leonard and George play ~34 minutes a game, Giannis doesn't even reach 32. Durant meanwhile is stacking minutes every night. While other stars have their feet up in the air for 1/3 of a game, these boys are out here grinding before we've even played a meaningful game.

Xiao Yao You
01-21-2021, 04:13 PM
Before I start ranting about this, I'd like to say that I expect them to hit the market soon. First of all because they have to because their squad is far from a finished product, second of all because I think Marks is a somewhat capable GM. That being said, last nights game proved evident for most of their problems: from defense to depth and so on.

All problems that need to be addressed and will be addressed. However, they need to be quick about this, as all these problems will lead to another problem: minutes. Durant and Harden had to play 40 minutes each to squeeze out a W against the Magic, they had to play heavy minutes against the Bucks, and all three had to play close to or more than 50 minutes against the Cavs. Nash and management need to step up, because this isn't ideal. Especially for Durant, who might have to play extended minutes at center. Especially for Durant, coming off a terrible injury.

The Nets will blow some opponents out of the gym out of sheer offensive talent alone, but any close game becomes an immediate heavy load. LeBron and Davis play ~32 minutes a game, Leonard and George play ~34 minutes a game, Giannis doesn't even reach 32. Durant meanwhile is stacking minutes every night. While other stars have their feet up in the air for 1/3 of a game, these boys are out here grinding.

don't think most of us needed last nights game for evidence of their problems

Uncle Drew
01-21-2021, 04:14 PM
don't think most of us needed last nights game for evidence of their problems

First of all, that's not at all what's being disputed here. Second of all, you'd be surprised.

Xiao Yao You
01-21-2021, 04:19 PM
First of all, that's not at all what's being disputed here. Second of all, you'd be surprised.

most of us that know ppg isn't the only meaningful stat

Uncle Drew
01-21-2021, 04:24 PM
most of us that know ppg isn't the only meaningful stat

Hey, I agree to the fullest. Said it from the very second the trade went down. There are some clowns around here, however, who do seem to think it's that way. However, why bring that up and why bother? I'm raising a point that might not be visible immediately, but will become bigger and bigger as the season progresses and the Nets continue running a borderline 6 man rotation in January.

Xiao Yao You
01-21-2021, 04:27 PM
Hey, I agree to the fullest. Said it from the very second the trade went down. There are some clowns around here, however, who do seem to think it's that way. However, why bring that up and why bother? I'm raising a point that might not be visible immediately, but will become bigger and bigger as the season progresses and the Nets continue running a borderline 6 man rotation in January.

trade deadline and buyouts

Kiddlovesnets
01-21-2021, 04:55 PM
Yeah we should play KD 34-35 mins a game at most, and Irving around the same minutes. Harden can play more due to him being far more durable, but still shouldnt exceed 38 mins.

8Ball
01-21-2021, 05:16 PM
Nash playing Kevin Durant 50 minutes in January is the one of the dumbest things I've seen so far from Nash.

Doranku
01-21-2021, 06:28 PM
I mean, what did you want Nash to do? Take KD out during OT?

Uncle Drew
01-21-2021, 07:59 PM
I mean, what did you want Nash to do? Take KD out during OT?

I'm actually tempted to say yes to this. They would make the playoffs regardless because the depth of the East is terrible and, given the current situations regarding covid, home court advantage doesn't mean that much, if anything. Therefore, I would chose health over seeding any time. I'd say chances are they'll end up in a 4 v 5 series anyway.

Kiddlovesnets
01-21-2021, 08:34 PM
I'm actually tempted to say yes to this. They would make the playoffs regardless because the depth of the East is terrible and, given the current situations regarding covid, home court advantage doesn't mean that much, if anything. Therefore, I would chose health over seeding any time. I'd say chances are they'll end up in a 4 v 5 series anyway.

Well I would still put KD in for 1st OT, but the 2nd OT KD should just sit even if he wanted to play. The coach has to make the right decisions regarding player's health, its just one regular season game.

Doranku
01-21-2021, 10:29 PM

It's not just about seeding through. These guys have what, 50 games left until the playoffs? We saw what happened with the Clippers last year. They load managed all year, and looked clueless trying to put a series away against the lesser Nuggets. No chemistry out there whatsoever and it cost them a title.

Double OT games like last night are great learning experiences for a new team. It's gonna be rough at first until some sort of hierarchy is developed for late game situations. These guys need to be in those situations before the playoffs come around to figure it out.

NBAGOAT
01-21-2021, 10:41 PM
sitting games does more for rest that minutes. sitting kd b2bs should help him a lot(and a little kyrie too) and the rest can still carry offensively pretty well