PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan "hates a lot of things" about the modern NBA

eliteballer
01-21-2021, 08:08 PM
"There's a lot of things that I like and enjoy about it, and there's a lot of things that I hate about it," Duncan said. "I hate the way the game's being officiated at times, how they've underpowered the effect of a post player so that you're allowed to beat the crap out of a post player. You're allowed to take him off his spot. You're allowed to hit him, bump him while they're shooting. But if you turn and face and go out to the 3-point line, and you shoot the ball and fall down, all of a sudden, the whistle is blown.

"So they're protecting the shooters away from the basket. It overpowers some of the players that are away from the basket, and it underpowers post players who use their bodies and their physicality around the basket."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/spurs-tim-duncan-modern-nba/1kbt64rjwvwop117xtrdrxljx0

11:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms9rbp-gZRw

r0drig0lac
01-21-2021, 08:11 PM
he's right (as usual)

tpols
01-21-2021, 08:13 PM
You've always been allowed to bump a post player. Playing in the post as a condition means both parties will be hitting each other. The main thing is there aren't really any elite post oriented offenses anymore. Post skill has dramatically diminished independent of any foul calling. But he's right about perimeter guys who manipulate space and basically flop to get FT's.

ralph_i_el
01-21-2021, 08:22 PM
You've always been allowed to bump a post player. Playing in the post as a condition means both parties will be hitting each other. The main thing is there aren't really any elite post oriented offenses anymore. Post skill has dramatically diminished independent of any foul calling. But he's right about perimeter guys who manipulate space and basically flop to get FT's.

Less restrictions on help defense means post players have more complicated passing reads today. The 3 second rule doesn't really do anything to clear out help defense for post attacks, but does clear out the paint for perimeter drives.

The 3 second rule sucks, and soft perimeter fouls suck.

ArbitraryWater
01-21-2021, 08:28 PM
Cant say ive noticed that on post players, tbh.

Nike D'Antoni
01-21-2021, 08:30 PM
So Shaq would be stopped if he played these days? You can beat the crap out of him?

Bronbron23
01-21-2021, 09:30 PM
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/spurs-tim-duncan-modern-nba/1kbt64rjwvwop117xtrdrxljx0

11:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms9rbp-gZRw

Yup been saying this. This is another reason why stats when comparing players is pointless even within the same era. Allow perimeter defenders to physically defend perimeter players like the do in the post and watch how fast players points and efficiency drop.

Bronbron23
01-21-2021, 09:31 PM
Cant say ive noticed that on post players, tbh.

That's because your an idiot. Anyone with 2 eyes can see the difference

Gohan
01-21-2021, 09:54 PM
That's because your an idiot. Anyone with 2 eyes can see the difference

:roll: dat ether in the first sentence

NBAGOAT
01-21-2021, 10:04 PM
yea post guys deal with some unfair physicality. Duncan is not just some former player talking, he was coaching last year

Bronbron23
01-21-2021, 10:29 PM
:roll: dat ether in the first sentence

It's not ArbitraryWater's fault bruh. He was abused as a child, scared to smile they called him ugly:oldlol:

Micku
01-22-2021, 12:38 AM
So Shaq would be stopped if he played these days? You can beat the crap out of him?

Naw, he saying that post players could get more physical with each other meanwhile you can't touch perimeter players.

You can say it's always been like that, but it's increasing more as the years go by.

light
01-22-2021, 12:51 AM
Naw, he saying that post players could get more physical with each other meanwhile you can't touch perimeter players.

You can say it's always been like that, but it's increasing more as the years go by.

Exactly. Though I'm not sure if it's increasing from the official's side. I think - obviously - perimeter players are becoming better at drawing fouls and that's certainly increasing.

FKAri
01-22-2021, 12:57 AM
He's dead right.

Post play remains physical and guys are hacking and going at it but the moment you turn and face the defender, you're untouchable. This is how the NBA keeps the game "pretty" by their definition.

dankok8
01-22-2021, 12:59 AM
I don't think Timmy meant that post players are getting hit more than they were in the past just that the relative physicality in the post compared to the perimeter is very high. You can still have plenty of contact in the post but you just touch someone at the 3pt line and it's a foul.

Smoke117
01-22-2021, 01:28 AM
If they want to bring back some of the old school game all they need to do is just bring back hand checking. Hell, you don't even need to do that, but let them at least me more physical on the perimeter in general. As I've said before, one on one defense was always overrated, but now it means absolutely nothing as you can't even defend anyway. Good one on one defense now is just controlling your player into the next defender or into the zone that makes it difficult. In general, though, it doesn't matter, as any player SEMI decent off the dribble can now just iso and take his man off the dribble as the league has made it so you can't do anything but throw up your hands and try and body him as little as possible. (as even bodying too much gets you called now lol) Comparing stats through eras was always hard with pace and this and that, but this new era has obviously made it much bigger endeavor. This new era is making stars out of guys that would have been role players 15 years ago.

tanibanana
01-22-2021, 01:36 AM
Right on point... :clap:

kawhileonard2
01-22-2021, 01:44 AM
That's because of rule changes that benefit perimeter players. NFL did the same thing with rule changes.

rmt
01-22-2021, 08:54 AM
That's because of rule changes that benefit perimeter players. NFL did the same thing with rule changes.

Tennis also has fiddled with the game - slowing down the courts and balls which has all but eliminated serve and volley/net game skills. I feel that they have done it to eliminate chance, create rivalries and protect "stars" - Djokovic/Nadal/Federer should not STILL be atop the rankings at their age.

In the end, for all sports, it boils down to MONEY by trying to make the sport (what the powers that deem think makes it) exciting - damn the purity or what it used to be.

Mr. Woke
01-22-2021, 09:37 AM
To me he seems like a salty old dude.

IMO the current NBA is significantly better than the NBA of the 1990s/early 2000s.

Mr. Woke
01-22-2021, 09:38 AM
He's dead right.

Post play remains physical and guys are hacking and going at it but the moment you turn and face the defender, you're untouchable. This is how the NBA keeps the game "pretty" by their definition.

You are exaggerating.

There is plenty of touching going around on the perimeter.

Bronbron23
01-22-2021, 10:00 AM
To me he seems like a salty old dude.

IMO the current NBA is significantly better than the NBA of the 1990s/early 2000s.

Man i love these wack takes. Yall really think u know more than a guy who was just recently coaching and is one of the smartest players ever? Perimeter defense is a joke now dude. Anyone with 2 eyes can see it. You can't touch anyone or it's a foul. You can't fight through screens or its a foul. You can't contest because you'll land near them and they'll flop and it's a foul. These rules have all but handcuffed perimeter defense

MaxPlayer
01-22-2021, 10:24 AM
Has any old timer ever said that modern basketball is better than back in their day?

Mr. Woke
01-22-2021, 11:53 AM
Man i love these wack takes. Yall really think u know more than a guy who was just recently coaching and is one of the smartest players ever? Perimeter defense is a joke now dude. Anyone with 2 eyes can see it. You can't touch anyone or it's a foul. You can't fight through screens or its a foul. You can't contest because you'll land near them and they'll flop and it's a foul. These rules have all but handcuffed perimeter defense

IMO your take is wack, and you are exaggerating.

Players can still play defense, and they need to do that intelligently.

Gudo
01-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Offense has advanced. There are moves allowed now that make offense more dynamic. Dribbling is more complex, ball is allowed to be lifted higher almost in the act of shooting and be able to continue dribble. “Gather” step is allowed which is really travel. Shooting is better.

The game has changed and I dont know that if reallowing handchecking or physicality back on the perimeter will balance it out.

Bronbron23
01-22-2021, 01:04 PM
IMO your take is wack, and you are exaggerating.

Players can still play defense, and they need to do that intelligently.

I'm not exaggerating at all. Imagine trying to gaurd a great shooter on the perimeter but you can't fight through screens and you can't contest. It makes it so much harder dude. People who play competitively know what I'm saying.

Bronbron23
01-22-2021, 01:12 PM
Offense has advanced. There are moves allowed now that make offense more dynamic. Dribbling is more complex, ball is allowed to be lifted higher almost in the act of shooting and be able to continue dribble. “Gather” step is allowed which is really travel. Shooting is better.

The game has changed and I dont know that if reallowing handchecking or physicality back on the perimeter will balance it out.

Offenses have not really advanced at all. Most teams run the same pick and roll sets because it's the best way way to take advantage of the rules and defenses. Really watch the games dude. It's usually a pick and roll with the ball handler and big while everyone camps on the perimeter to shoot a three. Sometimes a player on the wing will cut and relocate and guys will shift. With the exception of the warriors, spurs and jazz, Offenses are very basic now.

And the rules have a huge impact. As a perimeter defender you can't fight through screens or contest shots. I can't imagine actually trying to stop a shooter on the perimeter if you take those 2 basic defensive principles away. Never mind handchecking.

Gudo
01-22-2021, 01:24 PM
Offenses have not really advanced at all. Most teams run the same pick and roll sets because it's the best way way to take advantage of the rules and defenses. Really watch the games dude. It's usually a pick and roll with the ball handler and big while everyone camps on the perimeter to shoot a three. Sometimes a player on the wing will cut and relocate and guys will shift. With the exception of the warriors, spurs and jazz, Offenses are very basic now.

And the rules have a huge impact. As a perimeter defender you can't fight through screens or contest shots. I can't imagine actually trying to stop a shooter on the perimeter if you take those 2 basic defensive principles away. Never mind handchecking.

You have good points. Advanced is probably not the right word. Just different. On an individual level though the loose officiating on lifting the ball, or travelling or the eurostep makes players harder to stop now. Like what isaiah thomas would get away with when he lifts the ball only to continue it.

Bronbron23
01-22-2021, 02:29 PM
You have good points. Advanced is probably not the right word. Just different. On an individual level though the loose officiating on lifting the ball, or travelling or the eurostep makes players harder to stop now. Like what isaiah thomas would get away with when he lifts the ball only to continue it.

Yeah i agree with that its definitely different. And im not saying offenses are worse now either. I wish they'd bring back physical play just for a year to see the difference. It be interesting. I don't think the impact would be as drastic as some but i think it would definitely make a difference.