PDA

View Full Version : 3 point line needs to be pushed further back

Walk on Water
01-24-2021, 07:00 AM
Something has to give. Look at Utah, taking 30 3s a game. All these teams. So uncreative. If defense was allowed then fine. But it’s not. The 3 point line should be pushed back 4-5 feet. Just enough to discourage easy shots. Maybe we can’t lengthen the 3 point line on the sides more than a foot. But I think there would be less 3s overall. 3s should really just be bonus shots created by good ball movement and when you need to get your team back in the game. Like the 90s.

lilteapot
01-24-2021, 07:27 AM
No it doesn't. Players are learning how to shoot deeper and deeper every year. Soon you're going to demand the 3pt line to go away completely.

TheGoatest
01-24-2021, 07:54 AM
No it doesn't. Players are learning how to shoot deeper and deeper every year. Soon you're going to demand the 3pt line to go away completely.

They are, but obviously the further away you shoot from, the slightly lower the success rate of hitting the shot becomes.

Just look at the 3 point percentages between 1994-97 when the league shortened the line and compare them to those right before and right after.

Currently, the league is increasingly entering the state it was in between 1994-97, where the 3 point shot is overpowered compared to the 2. Every season teams are shooting more and more 3s and there is a reason for that.

Plus everyone would prefer to see players do more dunks and acrobatic layups over a 3 point shooting fest.

I doubt that the league will move the line back though, or that they're even thinking about it. They're probably way closer to introducing a 4 point line than they are to moving back the 3 point line.

light
01-24-2021, 07:58 AM
Something has to give. Look at Utah, taking 30 3s a game. All these teams. So uncreative. If defense was allowed then fine. But it’s not. The 3 point line should be pushed back 4-5 feet. Just enough to discourage easy shots. Maybe we can’t lengthen the 3 point line on the sides more than a foot. But I think there would be less 3s overall. 3s should really just be bonus shots created by good ball movement and when you need to get your team back in the game. Like the 90s.

In the 90s the three point line was moved closer, bro. That was super lame. This is way better.

I appreciate the skill of the shooters. We've never seen anything like this before. The accuracy is unbelievable. Back in the day - the 70s and the 80s - the type of deep accuracy we see now didn't exist anywhere on earth.

Marchesk
01-24-2021, 11:17 AM

The corner three needs to go away, and the rest of the line should be pushed back to encourage more midrage shots, as a balance. Doesn't need to go away, just needs to stop being a 3 point chuck fest.

Marchesk
01-24-2021, 11:19 AM
In the 90s the three point line was moved closer, bro. That was super lame. This is way better.

I appreciate the skill of the shooters. We've never seen anything like this before. The accuracy is unbelievable. Back in the day - the 70s and the 80s - the type of deep accuracy we see now didn't exist anywhere on earth.

There were a few long range snipers. It's just the game didn't favor having them take many threes. Bird would be one of the better shooters in today's game. But you're right in that there are many more now doing it at volume, which you first saw by a few teams in college in the 80s.

Shooter
01-24-2021, 11:50 AM
The corner three needs to go away, and the rest of the line should be pushed back to encourage more midrage shots, as a balance. Doesn't need to go away, just needs to stop being a 3 point chuck fest.

No.

Now stop shouting at clouds old man

Marchesk
01-24-2021, 01:50 PM
No.

Now stop shouting at clouds old man

Jordan would have been a better three point shooter than Lebron if he was drafted in the 2000s.

3ball
01-24-2021, 01:53 PM

Today's era is better at threes (gimmick), while previous eras were better at 2-pointers (basketball)

bison
01-24-2021, 01:55 PM
Don’t need to do this. Just revert the rules so defenders can put more physical pressure on 3 pt shooters. Make teams earn that extra point. I think we all want to see more multi faceted basketball.

3ball
01-24-2021, 01:56 PM
They should limit attempts to 25 per game, per team

this would REQUIRE expertise and development of 2-pointers (basketball)

8Ball
01-24-2021, 02:19 PM
No way.

Game has evolved.

The 90s ball is dead and ancient.

Why should we reward lower skilled basketball, 90s ball, with a shorter 3 point line and punish higher skilled players today with a longer line?

Marchesk
01-24-2021, 02:20 PM
No way.

Game has evolved.

The 90s ball is dead and ancient.

Why should we reward lower skilled basketball, 90s ball, with a shorter 3 point line and punish higher skilled players today with a longer line?

Thinking Basketball dispels this modern myth:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?489881-Louie-Dampier-3-PT-shooting-late-60s

DMAVS41
01-24-2021, 02:21 PM
I agree it should be moved back.

I also think the court should be made a little wider as well to accommodate this change.

Players are simply bigger now today and there is less room on the court. Widening the court to give more room to players and slightly reduce the impact of the 3 would make the game better in my opinion.

Marchesk
01-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Widening the court to give more room to players and slightly reduce the impact of the 3 would make the game better in my opinion.

That would work. Also, allow more defense on the perimeter.

3ball
01-24-2021, 02:31 PM
I agree it should be moved back.

I also think the court should be made a little wider as well to accommodate this change.

Players are simply bigger now today and there is less room on the court. Widening the court to give more room to players and slightly reduce the impact of the 3 would make the game better in my opinion.

Players are shorter today on average

And just because players weigh a few more pounds on average doesn't make them physically bigger

I'm pretty sure that pippen is bigger than paul george despite weighing less.. pippen ate steak and today's player is more vegan, so maybe that affects weight (partially kidding)

And the big men were bigger than today's stretch-shooting bigs.. look at Ewing.... A lot of guys were Ewing's size in the 90's, but few guys nowadays

DMAVS41
01-24-2021, 04:16 PM
That would work. Also, allow more defense on the perimeter.

For sure to the bold.

Walk on Water
01-24-2021, 05:26 PM
Players are shorter today on average

And just because players weigh a few more pounds on average doesn't make them physically bigger

I'm pretty sure that pippen is bigger than paul george despite weighing less.. pippen ate steak and today's player is more vegan, so maybe that affects weight (partially kidding)

And the big men were bigger than today's stretch-shooting bigs.. look at Ewing.... A lot of guys were Ewing's size in the 90's, but few guys nowadays

And we all know Pippen was much tougher than Paul George.

paksat
01-24-2021, 05:37 PM
why not just get rid of the 2 point line actually, nothing like watching a 3 point contest every game. when i get tired of watching it on tv ( 30 seconds ) I then go outside to the local park and watch 10 year olds do the same advanced stuff.

SATAN
01-24-2021, 08:58 PM
Jordan would have been a better three point shooter than Lebron if he was drafted in the 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsjukb2NttM

:facepalm

SATAN
01-24-2021, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that pippen is bigger than paul george

Bigger than MJ too :(

https://www.parlons-basket.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/madonna-scottie-pippen-michael-jordan.jpg

And after Pippen was done with her Rodman was next in line. :lol

Imagine how frustrated MJ must have been about his own inadequacies. :oldlol:

3ball
01-24-2021, 09:20 PM
Pippen was much tougher than Paul George.

Not mentally:

1989 ECF - pippen misses Games 5 and 6 (cost bulls title)

1990 ECF - "migraine" game 7 (cost bulls title)

1994 ECSF - the famous "sit out" to choke Game 3 + the dumb foul to choke Game 5 + horrible Game 7 = 3 chokes in one series

1998 Finals - physically broke down and basically missed the last 2 games

1992 ECSF - mentally intimidated against X-man and completely outplayed - MJ had to save Pippen from X-man in Game 7 (shown here (https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-07-2019/4EMYLq.gif))

1993 Finals - missed critical FT's to lose Game 5 and was destroyed by Dumas, which forced Game 6, where he didn't score in the 4th (45% true shooting for series)

1996 Finals - 15 on 34%

1997 Finals - 19/7/3 on 42%.. 4 clutch points in series (last 5 within 5), so MJ was forced to have flu game-winner, plus Game 1 winner and Game 6 winning assist (goat clutch of any series)

1991 Finals - fouled out by fouling a stumbling Vlade at the end of Game 3 - so MJ was forced to hit the game-tyer and dominate OT alone.. if mj misses that tying shot, the bulls are down 2-1 with 2 more in LA

light
01-25-2021, 12:59 AM
Today's era is better at threes (gimmick), while previous eras were better at 2-pointers (basketball)

That's literally the same thing as saying today's era is filled with better shooters.

The further you are from the basket the more difficult it is to make the shot. Distance is directly related to FG% probability. For every foot away from the basket, FG% drops exponentially.

We could also say that people in the past were afraid to shoot from modern distances and that wouldn't be inaccurate.

light
01-25-2021, 02:44 AM

Nope. He'd be exactly like DeMar DeRozan.

Number34
01-25-2021, 04:28 AM
The league should try it out for a season like they did in the 90s. Doesn’t need to be pushed back 5 whole feet OP, but maybe like 2 or 3. Really just enough room to keep the corner shot.

LAL
01-25-2021, 04:39 AM
They should push back 3 point line, wider courts like dude said and 10.6 feet rims. Try it a couple months in g league.

Gimmedarock
01-26-2021, 11:31 AM
Game is perfect right now. Free flowing with plenty of space for guys to show their skills. During the whole “Jordan month” during the documentary, I watched some old games. We have it so good now it’s not funny. It’s just more pleasing to watch. I couldn’t stand to watch guys work like crazy for a mid range shot. Ugly.

Gudo
01-26-2021, 11:59 AM
Taking out the corner 3 would be ugly. I can’t imagine the game with a pushed back 3pt line. I hope they just allow defenders more freedome to defend. That may be able to at least neutralize some of this revolution in offense.

jayfan
01-26-2021, 12:34 PM

That would be great.

Ainosterhaspie
04-22-2021, 02:18 AM
Would rather see them reduce rim diameter slightly. Makes hitting threes harder, but keeps the court dimensions the same. I think the dimensions work as is. Longer the point line means defenses even more stretched out.

Smoke117
04-22-2021, 02:21 AM
What they need to do is bring back hand checking. Players just have way too much freedom of movement to the point they can pretty much get a good look off whenever they want.

Ainosterhaspie
04-22-2021, 02:34 AM
What they need to do is bring back hand checking. Players just have way too much freedom of movement to the point they can pretty much get a good look off whenever they want.

Handchecking is common in today's game if you look for it. Moving screens are a bigger problem than lack of handchecking.

2much_knowledge
04-22-2021, 06:24 AM
Nah. They should just allow people to actually defend. Bring back some of the physicality

But why would they do that. They are using these crazy stat lines as marketing to make fools believe you are watching the best players ever because of stats

Casuals and fools gold