PDA

View Full Version : Harrell and Gasol were great pickups for the Lakers. Schroder not so much.

TheGoatest
01-24-2021, 07:32 AM
When he scores, it's usually meaningless points early in the game. And in order to score, he needs to dribble the ball first. He sucks as a catch and shoot player. In other words, he only takes away the ball from LeBron and AD and ruins their prospects of setting the pace of a game early. And he should definitely not be setting the pace ahead of those two.

And while I didn't expect him to be a great playmaker, I definitely expected him to be a little better floor general than this. Plus he is the worst defender of all the Lakers players who play 10 minutes per game.

This guy should not be starting for the Lakers. They have plenty of offensive firepower in LeBron and AD in the starting lineup. He should be coming off the bench to soften the offensive blow the Lakers take when LeBron and AD are not playing. That way they have a player who can create his own shot, which they didn't have last season when those two were on the bench. His minutes should be adjusted so that he plays as little as possible when LeBron and AD are in the game and as much as possible when they're not.

Vogel needs to man up and not succumb to Schroder's demands to start from the offseason. He should not be starting. It's so obvious.

k0kakw0rld
01-24-2021, 07:39 AM
Mods, just move the thread to the Lakers section.

TheGoatest
01-24-2021, 07:48 AM

Why didn't you make this post in the Jazz section?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?489860-Donovan-Mitchell-became-the-FASTEST-Player-EVER-To-Reach-600-3-Pointers-Made!

light
01-24-2021, 08:02 AM
Have you not been watching the Lakers? Schroder has been great.

If you've only seen the last two games then I understand why you think he hasn't been awesome for them, but these are exceptions to the rule. Usually he's really good.

I'm not worried about him at all. He's fantastic. He'll start the rest of the season.

MaxPlayer
01-24-2021, 09:00 AM

This is the Lakers section

StrongLurk
01-24-2021, 09:28 AM
I can understand where OP is coming from, but it's also due to Lebron's scoring weaknesses that he doesn't fit super well with Dennis. If Lebron could play off-ball like a Durant type player then Dennis could start.

It does seem like at this point Dennis does take away possessions from Lebron and even more so AD. It would make more sense to start Caruso and have Dennis come off the bench to play more with Harrell. Dennis needs to realize that a guy of his caliber can play just as many minutes in a game coming off the bench.

I think Lebron will be Lebron, but AD needs touches early on to keep his aggressiveness up.

ArbitraryWater
01-24-2021, 11:25 AM
He'd really be better off coming off the bench

theballerFKA Ace
01-24-2021, 01:06 PM
He has his moments. When he's hot, he needs to be left in. But I like the combo of Caruso/KCP or Caruso/THT better. Their defense together is very good. Caruso almost never isos and is always looking to get it to Lebron or AD at the right spot. And he's laser focused on defense

pandiani17
01-24-2021, 01:11 PM
I agree with guys saying he'd be better off coming off the bench, he could be the first option of the second unit and could do a lot of damage to other teams.

LAmbruh
01-24-2021, 01:26 PM
This is the Lakers section

This

5 stars

PP34Deuce
01-24-2021, 01:37 PM
Denis is a good defender good 3 point shooter and can break a defense down. Talen will be good but no rush

3ball
01-24-2021, 01:44 PM
OP is spot on

I love it when lebron employs his patented 2-point guard lineups (3 rings in 16 years), versus the 1-point guard lineup last year (1/1)

Other than last season, Lebron has typically started at forward, but then becomes a 2nd point guard on the floor.. these 2-PG lineups leave less hold-time and assists for teammates, which results in low TEAM assists and a brand that struggles on the championship level.

It's funny because Vogel probably told Lebron - "Schroeder is tough - let's start him at PG and put you at forward".. but lebron shouldn't be off-ball if he's just going to stand and can't produce (threaten with catch-and-shoots or off-ball pure scoring)

BigKobeFan
01-24-2021, 01:49 PM
This clown bran doesnt know how to run throw screens or play off ball, doesnt know how to post, doesnt know how to draw the double team in the post, doesnt know how to play with another player that needs the ball

3ball
01-24-2021, 01:50 PM
This clown bran doesnt know how to run throw screens or play off ball, doesnt know how to post, doesnt know how to draw the double team in the post, doesnt know how to play with another player that needs the ball

Who lebron?

I agree.. All true

8Ball
01-24-2021, 02:20 PM

Wrong.

LeBron is elite at all of the above.

Won a championship with a Kobe level ball dominant chucker.

CTbasketball92
01-24-2021, 02:24 PM
I think Schroder will shoot better efficiently soon. He'll be very useful when the playoffs come. Another creator who can get hot and pass. Lakers are very deep.

NBAGOAT
01-24-2021, 02:37 PM
Schroeder’s still nice, he’s playing pretty good defense right now. His numbers won’t be as good as last year.

SATAN
01-24-2021, 09:20 PM
He needs to check himself. Takes the ball out of LeBron and AD's hands too much, makes low IQ plays sometimes and eats into Caruso's minutes. He's disrupted the team and flow somewhat but I think they'll figure it out.

That shit at the end of the 4th a couple games back was abysmal. :facepalm

Doranku
01-24-2021, 10:33 PM
Schroder been better defensively than I thought he would be, offensively he has been everything I was afraid of. Lots of questionable decision making, not much of a playmaker, low efficiency. It's gonna become an issue in the playoffs if he isn't able to turn it around. 41% from the field and 30% from 3 isn't gonna cut it.

Smoke117
01-24-2021, 10:36 PM
Schroder is best deployed as a 6th man for instant offense whether he likes coming off the bench or not.

Smoke117
01-24-2021, 10:39 PM
Schroder been better defensively than I thought he would be, offensively he has been everything I was afraid of. Lots of questionable decision making, not much of a playmaker, low efficiency. It's gonna become an issue in the playoffs if he isn't able to turn it around. 41% from the field and 30% from 3 isn't gonna cut it.

Could be that last season was an outlier, but he had a pretty efficient season shooting 47%fg and 38.5% from 3pt land with OKC. It's gotta be hard to adjust to playing with LeBron and AD as opposed to CP3, Galinari, and SGA.

Doranku
01-24-2021, 10:51 PM
Could be that last season was an outlier, but he had a pretty efficient season shooting 47%fg and 38.5% from 3pt land with OKC. It's gotta be hard to adjust to playing with LeBron and AD as opposed to CP3, Galinari, and SGA.

I agree that he would be better suited coming off the bench. In a perfect world, Kuzma starts and Schroder comes off the bench. Kuzma plays better as a starter and Schroder does better off the bench. The problem is that leaves a 36 year old LeBron as pretty much the only guy who can run the offense for the starting lineup. Having Schroder out there with LeBron to alleviate some of those duties might be more important.

As long as Playoff Bran is healthy and ready to go, this team is still the title favorite imo. Harrell gives this team another layer that they didn't have last year.

light
01-25-2021, 12:52 AM
OP is spot on

I love it when lebron employs his patented 2-point guard lineups (3 rings in 16 years), versus the 1-point guard lineup last year (1/1)

Other than last season, Lebron has typically started at forward, but then becomes a 2nd point guard on the floor.. these 2-PG lineups leave less hold-time and assists for teammates, which results in low TEAM assists and a brand that struggles on the championship level.

It's funny because Vogel probably told Lebron - "Schroeder is tough - let's start him at PG and put you at forward".. but lebron shouldn't be off-ball if he's just going to stand and can't produce (threaten with catch-and-shoots or off-ball pure scoring)

LeBron chose Schroder. Schroder can only play PG if LeBron wants him to play PG. That's how it works.

LeBron is the MVP of the league so far as an off-ball player.

TheGoatest
01-25-2021, 04:17 AM
I think Schroder will shoot better efficiently soon. He'll be very useful when the playoffs come. Another creator who can get hot and pass. Lakers are very deep.

As soon as they picked him up I thought that he was a great regular season pickup, but that he wouldn't be that useful in the playoffs. Now I'm even less optimistic that he will be great in the playoffs. If they meet the Nuggets or the Sixers in the playoffs/finals, then Gasol will end up being their best pickup for the playoffs.

I see a lot of "LeBron can't play off the ball" comments from the usual haters. Those are obviously false, troll comments, but for argument's sake let's say it was true. However, one thing that is definitely true is that Schroder can't play off the ball. So if neither can play off the ball, then I suppose you think that LeBron is the one who should be taken out of the starting lineup in favor of Schroder in order to minimize the amount of players who can't play off the ball in their starting lineup?

Schroder is esentially a 6'3 mini, poor man's Brandon Ingram. He and his iso ball style have proven that he can put up decent scoring numbers on a random team, but that team will be either crappy or mediocre. He can be useful on a winning team, but not by suffocating the team's two superstar players, which is what he is doing now in the starting lineup.

LeBron
KCP
Kuzma
AD
Gasol

should be the Lakers starting 5.

I lost a lot of respect for Vogel for giving in to Schroder's demands to start. If he's playing for his contract over a championship, then Vogel needs to bench him and if Schroder refuses to play or accept his role on the bench, then we'll see what kind of a contract he will get. Because everyone knows teams love to pay big bucks for players who complain and refuse their roles.

LAL
01-25-2021, 04:28 AM
As soon as they picked him up I thought that he was a great regular season pickup, but that he wouldn't be that useful in the playoffs. Now I'm even less optimistic that he will be great in the playoffs. If they meet the Nuggets or the Sixers in the playoffs/finals, then Gasol will end up being their best pickup for the playoffs.

I see a lot of "LeBron can't play off the ball" comments from the usual haters. Those are obviously false, troll comments, but for argument's sake let's say it was true. However, one thing that is definitely true is that Schroder can't play off the ball. So if neither can play off the ball, then I suppose you think that LeBron is the one who should be taken out of the starting lineup in favor of Schroder in order to minimize the amount of players who can't play off the ball in their starting lineup?

Schroder is esentially a 6'3 mini, poor man's Brandon Ingram. He and his iso ball style have proven that he can put up decent scoring numbers on a random team, but that team will be either crappy or mediocre. He can be useful on a winning team, but not by suffocating the team's two superstar players, which is what he is doing now in the starting lineup.

LeBron
KCP
Kuzma
AD
Gasol

should be the Lakers starting 5.

I lost a lot of respect for Vogel for giving in to Schroder's demands to start. If he's playing for his contract over a championship, then Vogel needs to bench him and if Schroder refuses to play or accept his role on the bench, then we'll see what kind of a contract he will get. Because everyone knows teams love to pay big bucks for players who complain and refuse their roles.

So.. why do you think lebron's a good off ball player?

You said "haters just say that" ..but no explanation why you think it's good.

Because it's not. It's a big time weakness. Needs to hog and dribble for stats.

Kawhi and KD are SO good.

Axe
01-25-2021, 04:35 AM
Lol if they aren't great pickups, they wouldn't be within the top 2 seeds of the west rn.

TheGoatest
01-25-2021, 04:45 AM
So.. Why do you think that LeBron's not a good off the ball player?

Because you said "needs to hog and dribble for stats"? Then it's gotta be true. Your fellow haters are sure to back you up.

LeBron has had many excellent cuts like this so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9GsRYTVjiI

And he hits his open 3s. He's shooting .389 from behind the line so far, and most of them are contested. Schroder is shooting a Westbrook-like .300 and is really the one who needs to dribble the ball in order to score, a luxury he doesn't deserve in the starting lineup of a championship team because he is a role player and not a superstar.

TheGoatest
01-26-2021, 04:48 AM
Did anyone notice his body language in last night's game? His head was hanging low all game. And his "defense" on Osman and Sexton was painful to watch.

The Lakers really dropped the ball with this signing.

He is playing not even 2 minutes less per game than LeBron and AD. He is playing 7 minutes more per game than Trez. And he's still not happy. Some players of his caliber spend a career searching for a ring, and he has a great opportunity to win this season, but it's obvious that this guy would be happier on a team like the Bulls or the Pistons, where he could start and get his 20-22 points per game, but be on one of the worst teams in the league.

Doranku
01-26-2021, 11:37 AM
Did anyone notice his body language in last night's game? His head was hanging low all game. And his "defense" on Osman and Sexton was painful to watch.

The Lakers really dropped the ball with this signing.

He is playing not even 2 minutes less per game than LeBron and AD. He is playing 7 minutes more per game than Trez. And he's still not happy. Some players of his caliber spend a career searching for a ring, and he has a great opportunity to win this season, but it's obvious that this guy would be happier on a team like the Bulls or the Pistons, where he could start and get his 20-22 points per game, but be on one of the worst teams in the league.

And the Bran stan brigade said I was an idiot for not being happy with this signing. :oldlol: Knew this guy wasn't gonna fit.

PP34Deuce
01-26-2021, 01:14 PM
Lebron load manages on the court. Denis goes one on one and that gives Lebron a breather. Trez is an offensive minded scoring big that hustles to spell AD.

IT's clear as day the Lakers brought in two great 6th men who can score play high minutes and are durable. Come playoffs, You are going to see more Caruso and Talen. Denis is a good starter but closing games on match ups you will see him not in there.

Trollsmasher
01-26-2021, 01:52 PM
for a midget he has a really loose handle, probably the most disappointing aspect of him

Airupthere
01-26-2021, 01:54 PM
The lineup is still not enough eh? I guess for Lebron to feel good with his shooting he needs a loaded lineup.

kawhileonard2
01-27-2021, 12:43 AM
Gasol is a DPOY.

light
01-27-2021, 01:09 AM
All Schroder needed to do was average 10+ ppg and he was going to be an upgrade. Job done.

MaxPlayer
01-27-2021, 01:17 AM
All Schroder needed to do was average 10+ ppg and he was going to be an upgrade. Job done.

Just getting someone to take Danny Green off their hands was a win