PDA

View Full Version : Players have gotten much worse at dribbling

90sgoat
01-27-2021, 09:30 PM
I am watching Lakers vs 76ers here and it strikes me how bad the players are at moving effectively towards the basket with the ball.

They need to pound the endlessly to create a little bit of a fake, then awkwardly stumble towards the basket hoping for a foul.

This shit looks like watching early 80s dribbling.

90s players were much more effective in their dribbling because it wasn't meant to look good or get separation for a long 3, it was meant to get to the basket. That was all it was used for and that was why it was much more efficient.

Go look at Tim Hardaway or Grant Hill and see how extremely efficient they are in their dribbling.

3ball
01-27-2021, 10:03 PM
Agreed.. KJ and strickland were masters of the efficient dribble too... No need to dance around and set up a cadence footwork like today's AAU, dribble-happy bots

Im so nba'd out
01-27-2021, 10:58 PM
I am watching Lakers vs 76ers here and it strikes me how bad the players are at moving effectively towards the basket with the ball.

They need to pound the endlessly to create a little bit of a fake, then awkwardly stumble towards the basket hoping for a foul.

90s players were much more effective in their dribbling because it wasn't meant to look good or get separation for a long 3, it was meant to get to the basket. That was all it was used for and that was why it was much more efficient.

Go look at Tim Hardaway or Grant Hill and see how extremely efficient they are in their dribbling.

Grant Hill played in this era....he was a 3 n D guy :oldlol:

Tim Hardaway also pretty much played in this era....and we even threw him a couple more inches (his blood born spitting image son) and he is a secondary ball handler

Try again...do not pass GO....do not collect $200

L.Kizzle
01-28-2021, 01:11 AM
Clyde Drexler dribbled with his head down and never lost the ball.

LoneyROY7
01-28-2021, 01:46 AM
Go return those vhs tapes back to Blockbuster. They're overdue.

AirBonner
01-28-2021, 02:02 AM
Jaylen Brown is better from midrange than MJ

BigShotBob
01-28-2021, 02:03 AM
Rod Strickland had the greatest handles I've ever seen. No wonder why he's Kyrie's Godfather.

DonAlphaTrump
01-28-2021, 02:05 AM
Grant Hill played in this era....he was a 3 n D guy :oldlol:

Tim Hardaway also pretty much played in this era....and we even threw him a couple more inches (his blood born spitting image son) and he is a secondary ball handler

Try again...do not pass GO....do not collect $200

This clown calling a post ankle injury grant hill a 3nD guy? If anything he couldn't hang in the late 90s and early 00s so he had to sit out for 5-7 years until the league softened up.

light
01-28-2021, 05:06 PM

They couldn't play zone in the 90s. The gaps between defensive players in the 90s was larger.

This era not only has less space to work with but generally the defenders are also more athletic.

Gudo
01-28-2021, 07:18 PM
Dribbling today is more complicated than pre 2000s. They allow more moves that would be called carrying or travelling back then.

Isiah Thomas I think explained before why crossovers and dribbling during their time had to be close to the body and low. Because of defenses, hands on you were likely to tap the ball or alter your dribbling. You back down on defenders to shield the ball and if you are to face up, your crossover should be simple and quick, ala Isiah or Tim Hardaway or Grant Hill. Maybe this is what you are looking for. That can be smooth in its own way. But equally dribbling today can be quite awesome too. As much as I dislike Kyrie, his handles are a thing to watch.

Now it’s just a different game.