PDA

View Full Version : how does Lonzo Ball continue to get a starting slot?

Stanley Kobrick
02-02-2021, 08:56 AM
he's already in his 4th season with very little upside in between long stretches of mediocrity and lousy basketball. somehow he's even managed to regress worse than he was last year. i've watched him in particular blow huge possessions in closeout games multiple times this year, the kid still has no confidence

Ghost1
02-02-2021, 09:21 AM
https://streamable.com/try0wa

Stanley Kobrick
02-02-2021, 09:59 AM
https://streamable.com/try0wa
no one with FO experience in that room. magic 1st year pres of operation, luke 1st year coach, pelinka 1st year gm, jeanie 1st year owner since splitting from her siblings

Real Men Wear Green
02-02-2021, 10:21 AM
Looking like a bigger Eric Snow. Unfortunately for today's pgs either a good jumper or great athletic ability is mandatory. Only thing about him outstanding is his size and he's not some amazing post up threat where they would use that when they want space for Williamson to attack the basket. He can defend and he can pass so there's still a place for him in the league he's just not what you think of when you have the second pick.

Jasper
02-02-2021, 01:35 PM
you guys under rate him ... Bledsoe is the PG , so Ball has to play off Ball.
Last game he scored over 20 points.. not enough for you guys.
SG for the Bucks last 3 years averaged around 10 points.

Ball rebounds, great passer, and now solidified his jumper... I'd take him on my Bucks any day.

Kblaze8855
02-02-2021, 02:11 PM
Looking like a bigger Eric Snow. Unfortunately for today's pgs either a good jumper or great athletic ability is mandatory. Only thing about him outstanding is his size and he's not some amazing post up threat where they would use that when they want space for Williamson to attack the basket. He can defend and he can pass so there's still a place for him in the league he's just not what you think of when you have the second pick.

I feel like his shooting issues are reallly overstated. Especially when people mention some of the comparisons I see. Like Eric Snow. For his career he takes 6 threes a game and shoots 34%. Eric Snow made 55 threes in his entire career. Lonzo made more threes in a single game this year than Snow made in all but 2 entire seasons.

Lonzo is a below average shooter but not bad enough to bring up Eric Snow. He’s not gonna be on any “Worst shooting guard you ever saw?” lists. He topped Eric Snows career high in the second game of his career.

Youre right that he isn’t the kinda guy you want with a high pick I’m just saying....it’s hard to compare anyone to Eric Snows lack of outside shooting.

Marchesk
02-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Problem for the Pelicans is that Lonzo and Bledsoe don't provide good spacing the way the game is played today for Ingram and Zion. Look at how the Pelicans struggle at times on offense and have difficulty closing out games.

Lonzo is not a SG. He's a PG. If you're starting him, he needs to play the position he's actually good at. But Bledsoe is their PG. It was a bad move to pair him with Ball in the back court. Trade one of them, or have Ball come off the bench.

AirBonner
02-02-2021, 02:18 PM
Lonzo would be best suited as a playmaker off the bench a la Rondo

Marchesk
02-02-2021, 02:20 PM
you guys under rate him ... Bledsoe is the PG , so Ball has to play off Ball.
Last game he scored over 20 points.. not enough for you guys.
SG for the Bucks last 3 years averaged around 10 points.

Ball rebounds, great passer, and now solidified his jumper... I'd take him on my Bucks any day.

Ball isn't a good off-ball player. He's three point shooting isn't something that scares teams, and he's terrible at finishing at the rim. He's much better running the offense. The Pelicans drafted a PG at #13 who looks promising, but he barely gets playing time. I don't know what the hell they're doing with the current roster.

Gohan
02-02-2021, 02:23 PM
I feel like his shooting issues are reallly overstated. Especially when people mention some of the comparisons I see. Like Eric Snow. For his career he takes 6 threes a game and shoots 34%. Eric Snow made 55 threes in his entire career. Lonzo made more threes in a single game this year than Snow made in all but 2 entire seasons.

Lonzo is a below average shooter but not bad enough to bring up Eric Snow. He’s not gonna be on any “Worst shooting guard you ever saw?” lists. He topped Eric Snows career high in the second game of his career.

Youre right that he isn’t the kinda guy you want with a high pick I’m just saying....it’s hard to compare anyone to Eric Snows lack of outside shooting.

Damn iverson really did have it rough didn’t he?

Real Men Wear Green
02-02-2021, 02:26 PM

That's partially about Era. If Snow played in today's league he would have been forced to shoot more and if Ball played in Snow's day some coach would have accepted him as he is and just figured out a way to work around his shooting like they did for Snow.

Kblaze8855
02-02-2021, 02:33 PM
Damn iverson really did have it rough didn’t he?

Amazingly....Eric wasn’t even the worst outside shooting guard on some of those rosters. His backup Kevin Ollie made 9 threes his entire career.

AI would have killed for Lonzos spacing at the point.

Kblaze8855
02-02-2021, 02:35 PM
That's partially about Era. If Snow played in today's league he would have been forced to shoot more and if Ball played in Snow's day some coach would have accepted him as he is and just figured out a way to work around his shooting like they did for Snow.

Partially but in the end....you just are what you are. 6 threes a game and 34% isn’t that out of the ordinary. Some better years some worse...but it’s not shockingly bad. He shot downright well last year. He’s not hopeless.

StrongLurk
02-02-2021, 08:31 PM
Idk, he's clearly a bust. Weak mentality, no athleticism or jump shot.

LaMelo is already better than Lonzo.

k0kakw0rld
02-02-2021, 08:40 PM
Outlet passes :oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
02-02-2021, 08:55 PM

Ball would have fit in that era better as a pass first pg