PDA

View Full Version : I've never heard any knowledgeable bball fan talk negatively about Curry

StrongLurk
02-06-2021, 11:59 PM
The only people who slight Curry are stans of other players, which means they are insecure about a guy like Curry outplaying their favorite player. Every real bball fan knows he's a top 20 player of all time, one of the most skilled players of all time, and the GOAT shooter.

light
02-07-2021, 12:11 AM
There's nothing negative to say about Curry except his defense and no FMVPs. Other than that he's amazing.

KKittles30
02-07-2021, 12:46 AM
He was robbed TWICE in 2015 AND 2017:

As Iguodala's "defense" was a joke... 16.3/5.8/4.0/1.3 while holding/locking down LeBron to 35.8/13.3/8.8/ was not more deserving than Curry's first Finals and he goes 26.0/5.2/6.3/1.8/

and also... 2017 .....You can not tell me in the NBA Finals .. 26.0/9.0/9.4/2.2/ for a PG is not more impressive than 35.0/8.2/5.4/1.0/

Axe
02-07-2021, 01:11 AM
Too bad i couldn't recall if he had any iconic moments in the playoffs tho :(

Airupthere
02-07-2021, 01:13 AM
Usually it’s the relevant ones that people talk about, whether to diss or support. Good for curry if he’a nit being badmouthed then.

3ball
02-07-2021, 01:15 AM
Regular season front-runner

warriorfan
02-07-2021, 01:21 AM

As Iguodala's "defense" was a joke... 16.3/5.8/4.0/1.3 while holding/locking down LeBron to 35.8/13.3/8.8/ was not more deserving than Curry's first Finals and he goes 26.0/5.2/6.3/1.8/

and also... 2017 .....You can not tell me in the NBA Finals .. 26.0/9.0/9.4/2.2/ for a PG is not more impressive than 35.0/8.2/5.4/1.0/

This.

How someone rates Curry is a simple iq test. See the rest of the thread. :lol

Stanley Kobrick
02-07-2021, 01:29 AM
high IQ post

SATAN
02-07-2021, 01:45 AM
I like him as a player. There's no denying how exciting he can be to watch sometimes but he seems very cocky. Also, his mouth guard.

Pipes2.0
02-07-2021, 02:20 AM
1. The front running
2. The show-boating
3. The dissappearance in the biggest stages hence having no iconic Playoff moments.

TheGoatest
02-07-2021, 02:23 AM
There's nothing negative to say about Curry except his defense and no FMVPs. Other than that he's amazing.

Those are not the only two things. He's been considered the best point guard in the league for I don't know how many years, yet he has zero 9 apg seasons, one 8 apg season and two 7 apg seasons. Kyrie is probably the only superstar point guard who is a worse playmaker than him.

Plus all his career he's been thriving off of illegal, moving screens. Draymond and Bogut used to have a ton of them every game. Which you can't blame on Curry directly, but it still needs to be mentioned that his game was perfectly suited to benefit from them indirectly.

hold this L
02-07-2021, 03:35 AM
Those are not the only two things. He's been considered the best point guard in the league for I don't know how many years, yet he has zero 9 apg seasons, one 8 apg season and two 7 apg seasons. Kyrie is probably the only superstar point guard who is a worse playmaker than him.

Plus all his career he's been thriving off of illegal, moving screens. Draymond and Bogut used to have a ton of them every game. Which you can't blame on Curry directly, but it still needs to be mentioned that his game was perfectly suited to benefit from them indirectly.
You sound like you just started watching basketball. He doesn't have that many assists because he's the best off the ball player the game has ever seen. If he got 8-9 assists, it would result in a worse offensive system than what we see right now. Is it better he hogs the ball, or runs to one side pulling 2-3 players and leaving Draymond for the open man? There is a reason he is generally at the top of offensive rating because his style works. 67 wins 3 times, once 73 which has never been achieved by anyone. Not Jordan, Magic, Kobe or Bird. You want to know how many teams have gotten 67 wins in the last 10 years in the NBA? Once by the Spurs in 2016. Even though the Warriors obviously stacked the deck, he also holds the record for the best PS record of all time on top of RS record.

If looking at assists was all that mattered, that CP3 would be the greatest PG of all time. And he would have been successful offensively in all the different teams he's been in. This young buck understood in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS6uZnP2YRg

Ask yourself this question. Why did Draymond Green who looks like a stud with Curry, look like a bum offensively last season? He had 6APG which is great, but the offense was awful. Getting more assists =/= conducting a better offense.

TheGoatest
02-07-2021, 05:35 AM
You sound like you just started watching basketball. He doesn't have that many assists because he's the best off the ball player the game has ever seen. If he got 8-9 assists, it would result in a worse offensive system than what we see right now. Is it better he hogs the ball, or runs to one side pulling 2-3 players and leaving Draymond for the open man? There is a reason he is generally at the top of offensive rating because his style works. 67 wins 3 times, once 73 which has never been achieved by anyone. Not Jordan, Magic, Kobe or Bird. You want to know how many teams have gotten 67 wins in the last 10 years in the NBA? Once by the Spurs in 2016. Even though the Warriors obviously stacked the deck, he also holds the record for the best PS record of all time on top of RS record.

If looking at assists was all that mattered, that CP3 would be the greatest PG of all time. And he would have been successful offensively in all the different teams he's been in. This young buck understood in a game.

Ask yourself this question. Why did Draymond Green who looks like a stud with Curry, look like a bum offensively last season? He had 6APG which is great, but the offense was awful. Getting more assists =/= conducting a better offense.

Your counter-arguments are hollow. Just because his teams won some championships that means that he should get a pass from any criticism of certain aspects of his game?
For instance, Shaq's Lakers won some championships in the early 00s. Does that mean that I am not allowed to mention Shaq's free throw shooting when discussing his game? I mean, he won.

And besides that, your description of Curry's game is flat out wrong and simplistic designed to justify his lacking court vision. His game isn't centered around moving off the ball like a Klay Thompson, Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton, etc. He dribbles the ball down the court and orchestrates the offense like any point guard does. It's just that as great his shooting ability is, his court vision is lacking. How the hell do you as a superstar point guard play 3 seasons with the spot-up shooting of Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant and in those 3 seasons average 6.6, 6.1 and 5.2 assists?

Convenient you mentioned CP3 when saying "If looking at assists was all that mattered, that CP3 would be the greatest PG of all time." How about saying it more accurately: If assists mattered, then Magic Johnson would be the greatest PG of all time. Which he is.

If I wanted to go into some lame extreme, I could also say that "If scoring was what mattered, then Allen Iverson would be the greatest PG of all time".

light
02-07-2021, 06:22 AM

But the perception at the time was that moving Iggy into the starting lineup was the difference in the series and that if the Warriors didn't do that they may have lost.

Curry had been starting that entire time and still fell into a 2-1 hole against Matthew Dellavedova.

light
02-07-2021, 07:00 AM

I see Kyrie and Steph as shooting guards. Steph has a scoring title.

Do you know what screen assists are? Steph's three point shooting is like that. His gravity assists his teammates. His average three point gravity and overall gravity was by far the most in the league according to BBallIndex gravity stats as of 2019. A Gravity Assist isn't a thing but maybe it could be with the help of player camera tracking and artificial intelligence.

Side thought: Advanced statistics in the future could theoretically end up giving Curry the type of hard assist credit that he isn't getting now by reanalyzing historical player tracking data, all historical data & all existing game footage angles with machine learning, deep learning and AI.

The thing about the screens is that it's literally adjudicated by judges right in front of you as you watch. They were tried and found not guilty. What is anyone supposed to do about that? And Steph has no control over that.

Look, if you try hard enough to can find things like this to criticize about any legend. Everyone got away with something according to someone. Have to be mindful of where this becomes petty in the public mind.

RRR3
02-07-2021, 01:21 PM

Yeah man, Draymond sure looks like a stud with Curry this year :lol. Not like he’s by far the worst scorer in the league or anything. Nope not at all.

warriorfan
02-07-2021, 01:25 PM
Yeah man, Draymond sure looks like a stud with Curry this year :lol. Not like he’s by far the worst scorer in the league or anything. Nope not at all.

You don’t know anything about basketball.

RRR3
02-07-2021, 01:27 PM
But the perception at the time was that moving Iggy into the starting lineup was the difference in the series and that if the Warriors didn't do that they may have lost.

Curry had been starting that entire time and still fell into a 2-1 hole against Matthew Dellavedova.
2015 LeBron was by far the worst version of LeBron I ever remember seeing (didn’t watch him frequently until 2011 playoffs though) due to his back problems completely killing his jumper. Even so he was destroying Harrison Barnes. They absolutely do not win that series if they kept Barnes on LeBron. Curry stans love rewriting history for the 2015 finals but people who actually remember that series know Iggy deserved that FMVP

StrongLurk
02-07-2021, 01:30 PM

Steph was clearly the FMVP in 2015, Iggy getting it was dumb. Again, any knowledgeable fan knows this. Iggy was the X-factor in the series, not the mvp for the Warriors.

I agree Steph's defense is very average, maybe below average, but he does a good job of getting steals deflections. He's actually lead the league in steals before.

warriorfan
02-07-2021, 01:30 PM
2015 LeBron was by far the worst version of LeBron I ever remember seeing (didn’t watch him frequently until 2011 playoffs though) due to his back problems completely killing his jumper. Even so he was destroying Harrison Barnes. They absolutely do not win that series if they kept Barnes on LeBron. Curry stans love rewriting history for the 2015 finals but people who actually remember that series know Iggy deserved that FMVP

So Iguodala deserves FMVP because Harrison Barnes ****ing sucks.

Nice analysis. :lol

tpols
02-07-2021, 01:34 PM

You are unfair to Curry because you'll use his titles in your off ball vs on ball championship rate analysis with MJ Kawhi Kobe and Bird, yet you shit on him everywhere else. These are conflicting agendas.

Micku
02-07-2021, 02:24 PM

Do you know what screen assists are? Steph's three point shooting is like that. His gravity assists his teammates. His average three point gravity and overall gravity was by far the most in the league according to BBallIndex gravity stats as of 2019. A Gravity Assist isn't a thing but maybe it could be with the help of player camera tracking and artificial intelligence.

Side thought: Advanced statistics in the future could theoretically end up giving Curry the type of hard assist credit that he isn't getting now by reanalyzing historical player tracking data, all historical data & all existing game footage angles with machine learning, deep learning and AI.

The thing about the screens is that it's literally adjudicated by judges right in front of you as you watch. They were tried and found not guilty. What is anyone supposed to do about that? And Steph has no control over that.

Look, if you try hard enough to can find things like this to criticize about any legend. Everyone got away with something according to someone. Have to be mindful of where this becomes petty in the public mind.

Pretty much.

I think Steph's gravity is similar to Shaq, LeBron and MJ with the defensive attention. Well, it isn't quite like Shaq, but it's still insane how much attention they give to Steph sometimes.

He generates open looks because of his gravity. He isn't the best playmaker in the league, but he isn't a bad one. Imo, he is definitely one of the best offensive players in league history. And in the 2016 season, he was the best offensive player I seen period. At least in the regular season. In the playoffs, the defense gets tougher and he slows down a bit.

There is still some stuff to critique. I suppose that showboating could get annoying lol. It adds entertainment and fire to the opposing team. So, when they beat'em, it becomes more sweet. I remember CP3 was doing that mocking Curry shimmy to him one time.

But in game, it's his defense. It's pretty average to a bit below average. Although he is good with steals and off the help. Better used roaming around than man to man. When he is cold, that's when things get a little messy. He could still generate open shots with his gravity. But he sometimes settles for those 3s. Granted, he is still the best to ever do it at that.

And as a small criticism, he needs his teammates to score more than....some other scorers to me. Not to say he can't take a person one on one. But he's not on the level of Kyrie, James Harden, KD, or LeBron to me. Those guys, you can give them the ball and say, "I need a bucket" and they can give you a better shot than Curry to me. But that might seem strange since Curry won a scoring title and is a beast. And I think Curry's clutch numbers is pretty good? But I swear, he gets by with the screens and getting assisted by off the ball movement. That itself isn't a bad thing. It's a great thing since if he give him just a little bit of space, he'll shoot it and make it and it flows great within the offense.

It's just sometimes, when that isn't working, and you just need a bucket, I feel like the other guys are better one on one players and get you a good shot.

baudkarma
02-07-2021, 02:25 PM
The only people who slight Curry are stans of other players, which means they are insecure about a guy like Curry outplaying their favorite player. Every real bball fan knows he's a top 20 player of all time, one of the most skilled players of all time, and the GOAT shooter.

I appreciate the circular logic here.

A) Knowledgeable fans don't talk negatively about Curry.
B) If you talk negatively about Curry, that proves that you're not a knowledgeable fan, and thus your opinion doesn't count.

FKAri
02-07-2021, 03:08 PM
He's my favorite player in the league. He's the best argument in favor of the softer rules though I'm not a fan of the softer rules overall. That argument being that a guy like Curry can showcase his skills and I don't have to suffer to watch a guy like Charles Oakley on a roster.

3ball
02-07-2021, 03:27 PM
You are unfair to Curry because you'll use his titles in your off ball vs on ball championship rate analysis with MJ Kawhi Kobe and Bird, yet you shit on him everywhere else. These are conflicting agendas.

I use Curry's off-ball brand and #1 team offense capability to bash lebron's brand and team ceilings - that's true..

but it isn't contradictory to still say he's inferior individually to other guys like Bird, Kawhi, etc

I'm also not sure he's capable of a #1 offense anymore due to the reasons stated earlier about the league catching up.. I guess being 1-dimensional hurts curry just like it does lebron

Ultimately, you're right.. it serves me better to just bash him outright.. the entire objective is to downplay lebron's comp, which is only possible because of Curry's apparent beatable-ness (16', 19'... lucky in 15'... and he's kyrie's rag)

Axe
02-07-2021, 05:35 PM
Poor welfarefan getting overlooked again by veteran posters as usual :(

Bronbron23
02-07-2021, 07:38 PM

Why would someone be insecure about a player who dosn't even have 1 fmvp. Especially when most of the fans you speak of are fans of mj or bron who have a shit ton plus a shit more of other accomplishments that steph dosn't have. That's literally like nike being jealous of converse or some shit

Stephonit
02-07-2021, 09:28 PM
Why would someone be insecure about a player who dosn't even have 1 fmvp. Especially when most of the fans you speak of are fans of mj or bron who have a shit ton plus a shit more of other accomplishments that steph dosn't have. That's literally like nike being jealous of converse or some shit

Only someone insecure would consider a paid for award more important than singular achievements that surpass those of all other basketball greats that have ever played the game. Bringing up Nike is a Freudian slip. Nike should be concerned if their star isn't the greatest player currently playing or the greatest player of all-time.

Honor Boost
02-07-2021, 10:41 PM

This is the ticket.

Thenameless
02-07-2021, 11:58 PM

Agree. GSW doesn't play with what one thinks of as a traditional point guard. Both Steph and Klay (and as you mentioned, Kyrie too) play more like shooting guards.