PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand the controversy of the All Star Game

Walk on Water
02-07-2021, 01:54 AM
I mean they're already playing. What's the difference? Is the virus going to be more dangerous because it's an All Star game versus a regular season game? They've been playing the whole season outside of the bubble.

Speaking of the bubble, how are they even able to maintain the league without the bubble? It's weird how it seems like outside of the NBA, everyone seems to be catching the virus all over. But with athletes, it's just a once in a while sorta thing. Some stadiums have no fans or much less fans, but the athletes are playing their games as if nothing happened.

Anyways my point is if the All Star Game is that dangerous, then maybe they shouldn't even have a season? Like Harden said, if KD getting a positive again was so dangerous, why would they even play that game? Why not postpone it?

The way they run things can seem silly.

It reminds me of when they say football players can play the whole game, but what they're concerned about is what they do after the game and in the locker room. Basketball players can play their game, but what they're concerned about is wearing a mask when they're on the bench. Like if it's so dangerous that you need a mask on the bench, why have the games at all?

That would be the equivalent of having the freedom to race 100 mph in a Lamborghini without a seat belt, but the concern is wearing a seatbelt while you're finding parking in the parking lot, going 5 mph.

ThatCoolKid
02-07-2021, 02:08 AM
They are super strict about imposing restrictions about unnecesarry behavior while the All star game is an entirely unnecesarry game requiring all the best players in the league to gather together in one place and potentially all get corona in one shot you're an idiot :lol

J Shuttlesworth
02-07-2021, 02:17 AM
For one, it's an exhibition game. The NBA has already been kind of a shit storm this season with a lot of players getting COVID. The ASG will basically be a potential superspreader. You have like 20 players from various different teams/cities all getting together in one place for an exhibition game. Just seems like something that could be left out this season.

TheGoatest
02-07-2021, 02:34 AM
I don't know what makes the NBA have 1% optimism about it. Every star player has spoken against it. Every star player has implied that they won't give a damn about playing and will only be there because they have to. So what makes them think that fans will tune in to watch the players do something there is zero hype about among the players themselves? They might as well cancel it.

SATAN
02-07-2021, 05:33 AM
Every star player has implied that they won't give a damn about playing and will only be there because they have to.

How does this actually fit into their contracts? Who can make them play and why? If they have to, why was Butler excused when he sat out that one year?

The last all star game was really good and it would suck to see them just jogging around and letting each other score at will because they aren't feeling it anymore, like many other previous years.

Axe
02-07-2021, 05:39 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/BkzD8W8iN4VNq5trQR/giphy.gif

Xiao Yao You
02-07-2021, 05:43 AM
I don't know what makes the NBA have 1% optimism about it. Every star player has spoken against it. Every star player has implied that they won't give a damn about playing and will only be there because they have to. So what makes them think that fans will tune in to watch the players do something there is zero hype about among the players themselves? They might as well cancel it.

Gobert didn't speak against it

light
02-07-2021, 06:07 AM
I mean they're already playing. What's the difference? Is the virus going to be more dangerous because it's an All Star game versus a regular season game? They've been playing the whole season outside of the bubble.

Anyways my point is if the All Star Game is that dangerous, then maybe they shouldn't even have a season?

When they agreed to have a shortest offseason ever - 71 days - and start the season in December, the players were told that there wasn't going to be an All Star Game and that they would have a nice 5 day break in March to somewhat make up for the lack of rest they would've received in a longer offseason.

The players feel lied to and that they've being hoodwinked because the league wants...

https://media0.giphy.com/media/s6RfxNLTx00HC/giphy.gif

The pandemic is secondary to that.

No Sir
02-07-2021, 09:23 AM
Gobert didn't speak against it

https://metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/mictouch-06b1.gif

TheCorporation
02-07-2021, 10:57 AM
You have a painfully low IQ. Stop making threads.

Walk on Water
02-07-2021, 01:51 PM
When they agreed to have a shortest offseason ever - 71 days - and start the season in December, the players were told that there wasn't going to be an All Star Game and that they would have a nice 5 day break in March to somewhat make up for the lack of rest they would've received in a longer offseason.

The players feel lied to and that they've being hoodwinked because the league wants...

https://media0.giphy.com/media/s6RfxNLTx00HC/giphy.gif

The pandemic is secondary to that.

Well that makes sense. If the All Star game wasn't in the agreements.

Walk on Water
02-07-2021, 01:53 PM
They are super strict about imposing restrictions about unnecesarry behavior while the All star game is an entirely unnecesarry game requiring all the best players in the league to gather together in one place and potentially all get corona in one shot you're an idiot :lol

Right, but from a scientific standpoint, the virus doesn't know that they are the best players in a league. The virus can easily spread in a regular season game too. That's my point. From a pandemic standpoint, if an All Star game doesn't make sense, then neither does a regular season game.

baudkarma
02-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Right, but from a scientific standpoint, the virus doesn't know that they are the best players in a league. The virus can easily spread in a regular season game too. That's my point. From a pandemic standpoint, if an All Star game doesn't make sense, then neither does a regular season game.

In a regular season game, it's relatively easy to limit the spread of the virus if it turns out that one of the participants has tested positive. There are only two teams involved. Quarantine and test those who might have been infected, reschedule a few games, and move on. We've seen that happen already this season.

At the ASG you have representatives from how many different teams, if you count coaches and so forth? 15? 20? If one of the participants in the game turns out to have been contagious, the league would have to shut things down completely for a week. Perhaps longer. The risk the league is taking by having an All-Star-Game is pretty great, and the potential gains are minimal.