PDA

View Full Version : How underrated is Jason Kidd's 2011 ring?

tpols
02-11-2021, 04:53 PM
I watched the whole Mavs playoff run and could tell that Jason Kidd was a floor general, assist man, elite defensive piece, and big time leader for the team, but I didn't realize how close his playoff VORP was to Dirk's. They are almost neck and neck.

red1
02-11-2021, 04:59 PM
he was a great underrated defender too.

unreal that he became a consistent 3-point shooter

Airupthere
02-11-2021, 05:03 PM
That was one of the most enjoyable team runs to follow. Beating LA, then OKC, then finally the superteam. They proved a lot of people wrong in that one. Best kinds of stories rather than the ones where players collude and take the easy way.

tpols
02-11-2021, 05:06 PM
That was one of the most enjoyable team runs to follow. Beating LA, then OKC, then finally the superteam. They proved a lot of people wrong in that one. Best kinds of stories rather than the ones where players collude and take the easy way.

They weren't even expected to beat the LMA and Brandon Roy Blazers in the first round by a good amount of people. And that series had great moments too. Roy was dope. He was a Paul Pierce throwback that has faded into obscurity. Aldridge always impressed me way more in his early Blazer days than he did at any other time.

k0kakw0rld
02-11-2021, 05:16 PM
The Greatest Point Guard the game has ever seen period. Imagine the trade between Spurs and Nets had happened. Prim Duncan and Prime Kidd. Biggest what ifs ever.

HBK_Kliq_2
02-11-2021, 05:38 PM
I didn't care for him as a franchise player\#1 scoring option type like he was in the early 2000s. In his 2011 role he was great though. Dirk never could finish the job without a true floor general like Jason Kidd.

Kidd also beats Lowry 2019 in a lot of advanced stats.

BPM = Kidd
VORP = Kidd (despite 157 less minutes)
Assist % = Kidd (+5)

tpols
02-11-2021, 05:49 PM
I didn't care for him as a franchise player\#1 scoring option type like he was in the early 2000s. In his 2011 role he was great though. Dirk never could finish the job without a true floor general like Jason Kidd.

BPM = Kidd
Assist % = Kidd (+5)

Of course Kidd is way better than Lowry.

Go look up Kidd's VORPs from the Nets in the early 2000's. They were GOAT. Kawhi's in 2019 was 4.7. Kidd's in 2002 and 2003 were 5.0 and 6.5 respectively. That's how GOAT he was as a first option. His defense, rebounding, and teammate enhancement made up for his poor scoring by a ton.

light
02-11-2021, 06:22 PM
It's properly rated.

AirBonner
02-11-2021, 06:24 PM
He swept championship favorite Kobe and the Lakers

Axe
02-11-2021, 06:28 PM

BPM = Kidd
Assist % = Kidd (+5)
Both kidd and lowry also never blew a 3-1 lead.

SouBeachTalents
02-11-2021, 06:30 PM
Why exactly is it underrated? How much props do you want him to get for winning a role player ring?

pandiani17
02-11-2021, 06:35 PM
The Greatest Point Guard the game has ever seen period. Imagine the trade between Spurs and Nets had happened. Prim Duncan and Prime Kidd. Biggest what ifs ever.

It wasn't a trade. It was a free-agency signing, in the summer of 2003, just after their finals encounter. I agree Kidd's ring is underrated, a little bit like Drexler's 1995 ring. They were "the man" in other franchises, but as they weren't the best player on the championshipp team people don't remember them that much.

tpols
02-11-2021, 07:08 PM
Why exactly is it underrated? How much props do you want him to get for winning a role player ring?

You just exactly outlined how it was underrated with this post. The perception says it was a role player ring. Reality disagrees. Dirk had a 1.6 VORP. Kidd had a 1.3. So one is crowned King and the other is a pauper? Nah... Kidd was right there with Dirk. Dirk was better, but people (like your post) think it was a landslide. Kidd had more impact in the 2011 run than some first options that won rings.

Airupthere
02-11-2021, 07:12 PM

You got beonsexuals overrating every Lebron play here and you dont complain. Yet someone like Kidd who nobody talks about gets repped and you complain that he gets too much props?

dankok8
02-11-2021, 07:17 PM
Kidd had a lot of nice intangibles but he was still a role player.

When you said more impact than some first options you floored me. Exaggerating much?

Reggie43
02-11-2021, 07:35 PM
Is he underrated if I say that he was the 5th best player on the team? Pretty sure he was behind Dirk, Terry, Chandler and Marion on their run to the championship.

The most underrated guy on that team was Rick Carlisle honestly.

Gohan
02-11-2021, 07:36 PM
Kidd should not be overrated what he did for those 2013 knicks can’t be understated. Almost got Carmelo a mvp

SouBeachTalents
02-11-2021, 07:47 PM
You just exactly outlined how it was underrated with this post. The perception says it was a role player ring. Reality disagrees. Dirk had a 1.6 VORP. Kidd had a 1.3. So one is crowned King and the other is a pauper? Nah... Kidd was right there with Dirk. Dirk was better, but people (like your post) think it was a landslide. Kidd had more impact in the 2011 run than some first options that won rings.
Seriously, one stat in VORP is what you're using to dictate your argument :lol

In the '95 title run Hakeem had a 1,7 VORP and Horry a 1.4, you gonna say Horry was right there with Hakeem too?

And to your last point, which championship first options did 2011 Kidd have more impact than? I can't wait to hear this

SouBeachTalents
02-11-2021, 07:48 PM
You got beonsexuals overrating every Lebron play here and you dont complain. Yet someone like Kidd who nobody talks about gets repped and you complain that he gets too much props?
Not every thread has to be about LeBron you obsessed fakkit :oldlol:

tpols
02-12-2021, 06:12 AM
Seriously, one stat in VORP is what you're using to dictate your argument :lol

In the '95 title run Hakeem had a 1,7 VORP and Horry a 1.4, you gonna say Horry was right there with Hakeem too?

And to your last point, which championship first options did 2011 Kidd have more impact than? I can't wait to hear this

Robert Horry is insanely underrated. He was an all star talent that just played lazy until it mattered. Tim Duncan illustrated it. He showed out in the playoffs way too many times. With the Rockets. With the Lakers. With the Spurs. The man would take over games and hit the clutchest of shots. Hakeem's efficiency isn't elite either. People don't realize that he had way more help than what the rep is.