PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Worthy was #1 option on back-to-back champs vs goat comp?

3ball
02-12-2021, 03:53 PM
PLAYOFFS

* 87' Worthy...... 24 on 59%
* 88' Worthy...... 21 on 53% (FMVP)
* 89' Worthy...... 25 on 57%
* 90' Worthy...... 24 on 53%
* 91' Worthy...... 20 on 49%

* Lakers' scoring leader

TLDR: Worthy was better than Pippen because Pippen wasn't capable of being a 25 ppg first option on a champion, or being a better option than Magic or Kareem.

This matters because everyone in history that won more than 2 Finals needed a sidekick to win FMVP or average 25 for at least 1 of the Finals.. But Pippen is 0/6 in FMVP and peaked at 21 ppg, so only MJ could win rings with Pippen, while Worthy's goat scoring and FMVP caliber was easier to win with

Gohan
02-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Much better post see forget that other dude that starts with Le. You’re a good poster without mentioning him

tpols
02-12-2021, 03:59 PM
The funny thing is MJ was James Worthy's "pippen" in college basketball at UNC.

3ball
02-12-2021, 04:02 PM
The funny thing is MJ was James Worthy's "pippen" in college basketball at UNC.

Worthy was a phenomenal player and ridiculously underrated

I guess that's what happens to guys that shared shine on super-teams with other stars...otoh, pippen benefitted from being on the only 2-star dynasty, so he gets more credit for winning those rings than Worthy's shared shine, despite playing far worse

Vino24
02-12-2021, 04:03 PM
MJ was Worthy’s Pippen

Xiao Yao You
02-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Both were overrated. Pippen certainly the better player

Gohan
02-12-2021, 04:08 PM
MJ was Worthy’s Pippen

You are my Kevin ollie

BigKobeFan
02-12-2021, 04:11 PM
Goat level competition

pandiani17
02-12-2021, 05:01 PM
I think Worthy is underrated historically. However, I would have liked to see what type of player he would have been in another franchise where he had to be the best player. Would he be a 1st All-NBA team more times? Or maybe his team would be in the lottery every year? I ask myself this question with many players, how their careers would have turned out had they been chosen in the draft by a different team.

pandiani17
02-12-2021, 05:01 PM
You are my Kevin ollie

lol

Xiao Yao You
02-12-2021, 05:14 PM
I think Worthy is underrated historically. However, I would have liked to see what type of player he would have been in another franchise where he had to be the best player. Would he be a 1st All-NBA team more times? Or maybe his team would be in the lottery every year? I ask myself this question with many players, how their careers would have turned out had they been chosen in the draft by a different team.

lottery

tpols
02-12-2021, 05:23 PM

How is Big Game James overrated?

If you can be the best player and leading scorer amongst Magic, Kareem, Isiah Thomas, Adrian Dantley, and Joe Dumars you ain't overrated. Pippen has never come close to being a "primetime" player. He wilts under pressure. James Worthy reminds me of Kyrie. Supremely skilled and valuable on the highest of stages. Where as Pippen is a Gobert type that could get you more regular season wins, but choke in the playoffs.

3ball
02-12-2021, 05:48 PM

If you can be the best player and leading scorer amongst Magic, Kareem, Isiah Thomas, Adrian Dantley, and Joe Dumars you ain't overrated. Pippen has never come close to being a "primetime" player. He wilts under pressure. James Worthy reminds me of Kyrie. Supremely skilled and valuable on the highest of stages. Where as Pippen is a Gobert type that could get you more regular season wins, but choke in the playoffs.

Indeed Pippen wasn't capable of leading an elite 2-way team.

In 1994, the Bulls' defensive rank (6th) was the same as the 1st three-peat (7th, 4th, 7th).... so the only reason the Bulls fell from 3-peat caliber to 2nd Round was the cratering of their offensive rating, which fell from #1 all-time during the first 3-peat, to #14 in the league in 94' (average).

Ultimately, Jordan allowed an elite 2-way team, while Pippen did not, and great offensive players allow this 2-way capacity that gives a team championship capacity.

People forget the 91' Lakers had a better team defense than the 91' Bulls, plus 4 guys averaging 17-19 on offense in the Finals - they were an elite 2-way team because Worthy's leading offense gave them elite offensive/championship capacity..

Manny98
02-12-2021, 05:50 PM
Now way the Bulls beat the Lakers with a healthy Worthy

tpols
02-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Indeed Pippen wasn't capable of leading an elite 2-way team.

In 1994, the Bulls' defensive rank (6th) was the same as the 1st three-peat (7th, 4th, 7th).... so the only reason the Bulls fell from 3-peat caliber to 2nd Round was the cratering of their offensive rating, which fell from #1 all-time during the first 3-peat, to #14 in the league in 94' (average).

Ultimately, Jordan allowed an elite 2-way team, while Pippen did not, and great offensive players allow this 2-way capacity that gives a team championship capacity.

People forget the 91' Lakers had a better team defense than the 91' Bulls, plus 4 guys averaging 17-19 on offense in the Finals - they were an elite 2-way team because Worthy's leading offense gave them elite offensive/championship capacity..

That's what I'm saying. Worthy and Kyrie don't have the defensive pedigree to lead you to more regular season wins vs scrub teams, but when it counts in the playoffs and skill reigns supreme, Pippen and Gobert are like glorified role players. Who cares if you can lead a team to the playoffs but then get shit on there? I'm an Eagles fan from the early 2000's... there's nothing more disappointing than being great all year, and then get your ass kicked when it matters. (like Ewing did Scottie) Might as well have been lotto from the jump.

3ball
02-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Now way the Bulls beat the Lakers with a healthy Worthy

Now that's a legit debate.

He was hobbled but nearly matched Pippen and otherwise routinely torched Pippen.

Pippen was infact protected in that series - he was still really young and his only playoff record was embarrassing failure... Everyone knew the Magic matchup might give pippen another migraine and be too much pressure to start his first Finals, so it wasn't really a consideration: MJ would be the primary defender on Magic - easy decision...

Not surprisingly, pippen had his best offensive game (game 5) when he didn't have to guard worthy or magic (worthy was out and pippen didn't guard Magic in Games 1 or 5)

Chick Stern
02-12-2021, 05:59 PM
Worthy’s worth is underrated because he played next to 2 top five all time players.
His first step was devastating, played strong defense, and he had big ol Kawhi hands. His game would probably be less effective in today’s game, but he would have developed an outside shot.

Real Men Wear Green
02-12-2021, 06:02 PM
This guy is so desperate to protect Jordan's legacy that he is now tarnishing Magic for being a great passer.

3ball
02-12-2021, 06:08 PM
This guy is so desperate to protect Jordan's legacy that he is now tarnishing Magic for being a great passer.

Kareem is ranked higher than Magic all-time.

People often say Kareem is the goat over MJ

so those were Kareem's teams and he was the anchor of those offenses - even Magic says that repeatedly.

Worthy was simply skilled enough as the best "quick iso" player ever to be valued as the most important scorer and player alongside 2 mount rushmore teammates

Kblaze8855
02-12-2021, 06:11 PM

Tou probably shouldn’t be listened to at all in a discussion of at least 6 of those players. Leading a series in scoring with about 21-22 ppg isn’t the same as being the best player on the floor. Especially when the leaders of both teams are playmaking point guards.

James was nice but a finals mvp doesn’t make him the best player any more than Tony Parker, Cedric Maxwell, Chauncey Billips, Iggy, or Jojo White.

The best I ever saw Worthy play was losing to the Pistons when Magic was hurt and he had to do it all.

Xiao Yao You
02-12-2021, 06:13 PM

Worthy isn't carrying a team like Gobert or even like Pippen did for a season. He could score and run the floor. Lucky to play in LA with Magic

Xiao Yao You
02-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Worthy’s worth is underrated because he played next to 2 top five all time players.
His first step was devastating, played strong defense, and he had big ol Kawhi hands. His game would probably be less effective in today’s game, but he would have developed an outside shot.

He had an outside shot. Not out to 3 but it's not hard to imagine. If he could hit the 3 he'd probably be better today at the 4 and even small ball 5

fourkicks44
02-12-2021, 06:17 PM
You are my Kevin ollie

:oldlol:

You are on fire, son.

3ball
The best I ever saw Worthy play was losing to the Pistons when Magic was hurt and he had to do it all.

Let's examine the help Worthy had when he gave the 89' Pistons work as a 1-man team (destroyed Rodman)

Without Kareem or Magic, did the 89' Lakers have anyone as good as Ingram, Rondo, or all-defender Green?

So Worthy giving the Pistons work is probably more impressive than lebron going lottery with Ingram, Rondo and Green.. remember that the 89' Lakers didn't have Vlade or Perkins yet (both averaged 17/9 in the Finals)

Airupthere
If I recall correctly I think MJ said Worthy would be one of the people he would like to have on his seem if he were to handpick a team to compete.

SouBeachTalents
02-12-2021, 06:20 PM
Tou probably shouldn’t be listened to at all in a discussion of at least 6 of those players. Leading a series in scoring with about 21-22 ppg isn’t the same as being the best player on the floor. Especially when the leaders of both teams are playmaking point guards.

James was nice but a finals mvp doesn’t make him the best player any more than Tony Parker, Cedric Maxwell, Chauncey Billips, Iggy, or Jojo White.

Guy had a GOAT Game 7, but Magic should've definitely been FMVP that series, that's easily one of the biggest FMVP robberies in history

Kblaze8855
02-12-2021, 06:21 PM
He had an outside shot. Not out to 3 but it's not hard to imagine. If he could hit the 3 he'd probably be better today at the 4 and even small ball 5

James could do a bit of everything if required:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AlarmedFittingCaudata-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SimplisticGleamingAiredale-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SecondPlushCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif

If he spent more time as the man he’d have shown more of it. He was near done by the time Magic retired. Not old...but not everyone has great longevity.

3ball
02-12-2021, 06:22 PM
Let's examine the help Worthy had when he gave the 89' Pistons work as a 1-man team (destroyed Rodman)

Without Kareem or Magic, did the 89' Lakers have anyone as good as Ingram, Rondo, or all-defender Green?

So Worthy giving the Pistons work is probably more impressive than lebron going lottery with Ingram, Rondo and Green.. remember that the 89' Lakers didn't have Vlade or Perkins yet (both averaged 17/9 in the Finals)

This post will be completely avoided

Kblaze8855
02-12-2021, 06:24 PM
This post will be completely avoided

Why wouldn’t it be? You think a comparison between like 2 and a half games losing a series vs an entire season is something that merits discussion?

Thats just a weirdo line of thinking to begin with.

Xiao Yao You
02-12-2021, 06:25 PM
James could do a bit of everything if required:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AlarmedFittingCaudata-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SimplisticGleamingAiredale-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SecondPlushCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif

If he spent more time as the man he’d have shown more of it. He was near done by the time Magic retired. Not old...but not everyone has great longevity.

He might have but without Magic getting him the ball how effective would he have been?

3ball
02-12-2021, 06:28 PM
Why wouldn’t it be? You think a comparison between like 2 and a half games losing a series vs an entire season is something that merits discussion?

Thats just a weirdo line of thinking to begin with.

My point was that Worthy going off on Rodman and the Pistons isn't evidence that he can't hack it as the top guy.. his production shows can handle the production required, and simply had no help like many other guys that got swept or blown away in the Finals (like lebron in 07', 11', 14', 17', 18')

And of course, he was the top guy from 87-91' - see the OP - he averaged 24-25 on 55% and led the Lakers every year

HBK_Kliq_2
02-12-2021, 06:35 PM
Every star is different. Magic needs scorers on his team because he can't score. Jordan needs Pippen on his team because he doesn't know how to be a floor general and defensive anchor.

Kblaze8855
02-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Magic didn’t need anything in particular. He didn’t score much more than 20 because he handed off 4-5 layups a game for the greater good of keeping his teammates engaged in the game and running.

RRR3
02-12-2021, 06:50 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Tpols pretending he knows what he’s talking about is always cute.

SouBeachTalents
02-12-2021, 07:10 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Tpols pretending he knows what he’s talking about is always cute.
You missed his best take yet

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?487239-Lebron-s-resume-01-Iverson-until-all-pros-made-him-champ-(Wade-Bosh-Kyrie-Love-AD)&p=14248572&viewfull=1#post14248572

AussieSteve
02-12-2021, 07:11 PM
Having the greatest PG ever as a teammate would elevate anyone's scoring.

Having the highest usage player ever as a teammate would reduce anyone's scoring.

Xiao Yao You
02-12-2021, 07:23 PM
Every star is different. Magic needs scorers on his team because he can't score. Jordan needs Pippen on his team because he doesn't know how to be a floor general and defensive anchor.

Magic had no problem scoring if he needed to. MJ put up triple doubles nightly as the pg. Great players are capable of many things

light
02-12-2021, 08:03 PM
PLAYOFFS

* 87' Worthy...... 24 on 59%
* 88' Worthy...... 21 on 53% (FMVP)
* 89' Worthy...... 25 on 57%
* 90' Worthy...... 24 on 53%
* 91' Worthy...... 20 on 49%

* Lakers' scoring leader

TLDR: Worthy was better than Pippen because Pippen wasn't capable of being a 25 ppg first option....

The challenge that you continue to have is that you overvalue scoring and cannot conceive of any other way for a basketball player to dominate a game.

You’re atrophying your basketball IQ for the sake of argument.

The original Dream Team had a chance to take James Worthy over Scottie Pippen but Worthy was considered a long-shot (along with guys like Kevin McHale and Dominique Wilkins) while Chuck Daly and the selection committee gushed over the selection of Scottie Pippen.

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/no-pip-no-chip-barcelona-style.png

Pippen was considered an absolute must-have along with MJ and Magic while other greats like Clyde Drexler were still on the bubble and lesser greats like James Worthy weren't seriously considered at all.

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/Dexler-Shutting-Up-Jordan.png

TL;DR: You're still dead wrong.

3ball
02-12-2021, 09:18 PM
The challenge that you continue to have is that you overvalue scoring and cannot conceive of any other way for a basketball player to dominate a game.

You’re atrophying your basketball IQ for the sake of argument.

The original Dream Team had a chance to take James Worthy over Scottie Pippen but Worthy was considered a long-shot (along with guys like Kevin McHale and Dominique Wilkins) while Chuck Daly and the selection committee gushed over the selection of Scottie Pippen.

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/no-pip-no-chip-barcelona-style.png

Pippen was considered an absolute must-have along with MJ and Magic while other greats like Clyde Drexler were still on the bubble and lesser greats like James Worthy weren't seriously considered at all.

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/Dexler-Shutting-Up-Jordan.png

TL;DR: You're still dead wrong.

Worthy was past his prime by 1992

His prime was 85-90', shown in the OP, where he played better than pippen ever did

3ball
02-12-2021, 09:19 PM

Except Jordan averaged more assists and assist percentage than Pippen, while getting more DPOY votes every year and taking the toughest assignments (Magic, Drexler, Payton, Miller, Isiah, Dumars)

Ultimately, Jordan was top 5 DPOY and scoring champ from 88-98', while averaging more assists and assist percentage than Pippen

csh19792001
02-13-2021, 04:27 AM

Pippen buries Worthy in the regular season in:
WS
WS/48
PER
OWS
DWS (twice as valuable as Worthy)
BPM
VORP (twice as valuable as Worthy)

In the playoffs they're actually fairly close vis-a-vis advanced metrics.

3ball
02-21-2021, 05:48 PM
Worthy was a phenomenal player and ridiculously underrated

I guess that's what happens to guys that shared shine on super-teams with other stars...otoh, pippen benefitted from being on the only 2-star dynasty, so he gets more credit for winning those rings than Worthy's shared shine, despite playing far worse than Worthy (see thread title).. Pippen was just the lucky, low-producing bum that won the "3-peat with MJ" lottery

^^^ Thread Cliffs

Hey Yo
02-21-2021, 06:24 PM
Worthy was past his prime by 1992

His prime was 85-90', shown in the OP, where he played better than pippen ever did
Worthy was named All-NBA twice in his career..... 90 and 91.

Pippen was named All-NBA on both sides of the ball for nearly a decade

3ball
02-21-2021, 06:30 PM
Worthy was named All-NBA twice in his career..... 90 and 91.

Pippen was named All-NBA on both sides of the ball for nearly a decade

Right, because Pippen was on the only 2-star dynasty

So he got dynasty accolades despite playing much worse than Worthy, who didn't get the accolades because he shared shine with 3rd and 4th stars

Does that make sense? Worthy played better than pippen ever did (1st option on a dynasty), but didn't get credit because he shared shine with 3rd and 4th stars...

Whereas Pippen was on the only 2-star dynasty, so he got full credit despite never playing on Worthy's level

ShawkFactory
02-21-2021, 06:34 PM
So now we’re trying to prove that MJ was better than Magic?

Hey Yo
02-21-2021, 06:39 PM
Right, because Pippen was on the only 2-star dynasty

So he got dynasty accolades despite playing much worse than Worthy, who didn't get the accolades because he shared shine with 3rd and 4th stars

Does that make sense? Worthy played better than pippen ever did (1st option on a dynasty), but didn't get credit because he shared shine with 3rd and 4th stars...

Whereas Pippen was on the only 2-star dynasty, so he got full credit despite never playing on Worthy's level
All-NBA is recognized by position. Has nothing to do with teammates or team record.

Worthy with ZERO All-defensive teams.

3ball
02-21-2021, 06:44 PM
All-NBA is recognized by position. Has nothing to do with teammates or team record.

Worthy would've averaged 25-30 on a 2-star team

So All-NBA is affected by cast and is voted on by people like Rachel Nichols, aka Joe the Plumbers like you and me.

So it's a poor argument for a player being good..

Playoff performance is obviously the only real measuring stick and Pippen is arguably the worst playoff performers ever, given his stature

dankok8
02-21-2021, 06:56 PM
A common debate in the 80's was who was the better player between Worthy and Dominique because both are from the same draft class.

3ball
02-27-2021, 04:49 AM
Stats versus X-man

87' Worthy WCF..... 31 on 60%
87'. X-man WCF..... 25 on 50% (prime x-man)

92' Pippen ECSF..... 16 on 40%
92' X-man ECSF...... 19 on 50% (old x-man)

MJ could've 3-peated with X-man... :confusedshrug:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-07-2019/4EMYLq.gif

^^^ Pippen's trashy play is the only reason the Bulls nearly lost that series

And this is standard - anytime a series was close or lost, Pippen's poor play was the reason..

for example, he averaged 12 on 42% against the 88-90' Pistons - no one could beat a dynasty with that trash...

He averaged 15 on 34% in the 96' Finals, including 11 on 27% in Games 3-5 when the Sonics' were coming back.. He averaged 17 on 41% for the entire 96-98' Playoffs, including big eggs in the 97' ECF, 98' ECF, and 96-98' Finals.. he averaged 10 on 40% against the #1 SRS Cavs in 1989, thus forcing Jordan to perform the goat clutch upset.

Ultimately, pippen was never the #1 option on back-to-back champs like Worthy was in 87' and 88'.. but despite his inferior performance to Worthy, Pippen gets more credit because he was on the only 2-star dynasty and didn't share shine with 3rd and 4th stars like Worthy.. Pippen was simply the low-producing bum that won the "3-peat with MJ" lottery

TheGoatest
02-27-2021, 07:37 AM
Stats versus X-man

87' Worthy WCF..... 31 on 60%
87'. X-man WCF..... 25 on 50% (prime x-man)

92' Pippen ECSF..... 16 on 40%
92' X-man ECSF...... 19 on 50% (old x-man)

MJ could've 3-peated with X-man... :confusedshrug:

'85 Orlando Woolridge: 23 on 55%

Wha happun? :confusedshrug:

ShawkFactory
02-27-2021, 11:32 AM

Ahhh so that’s what “cratered” Bosh and Love’s numbers. Maybe is wasn’t lebron after all.

3ball
02-27-2021, 07:13 PM
85 Orlando Woolridge: 23 on 55%

A super-team was required to win the 80's East

2-star teams couldn't win until around 88' when the Pistons took over, so Woolridge played with MJ too early when the league was top-heavy (required super-team)

Otoh, Pippen was the lucky bum that came along when the talent was being spread around evenly, so 2-star teams could win... In a 2-star vs 2-star format, MJ + anyone = dynasty domination (the goat + anyone dominates a 2-star format)

'

Wha happun? :confusedshrug:

Heck, a guy like X-man averaged 25/9/4 on 50% against the 87' Lakers in the WCF - that's better than Pippen ever played, and X-man also destroyed Pippen in the 92' ECSF.. Indeed, MJ would win with X-man in a 2-star format.

It wasn't hard for guys to match Pippen because Pippen's peak capability was 16-22 ppg.. So guys like Robert Horry average 18/10 on 50% in the 95' Finals and match prime Pippen level - anyone can do it because it's not that great.. JR Smith averaged 18/8 on 60% in the 15' ECSF - again, anyone can reach Pippen caliber.. 05' Larry Hughes averaged 22/6/5 with 1st team defense, aka peak Pippen - anyone can match it because it's not that great. Pippen = peak Horry or Iggy - that's his caliber.. and his role is a Draymond role, which is inferior to the "dominator" roles of Worthy, McHale, Kyrie, Wade, AD - guys that led teams

light
02-27-2021, 07:50 PM
Pippen is not only more highly regarded than Worthy, but he’s also much more accomplished.

ESPN’s All-Time Ranking:

Pippen - 19th
Worthy - 51st

Bill Simmons Book of Basketball All-Time Ranking:

Pippen - 24th
Worthy - 50th

Elliot Kalb’s Who’s Better Who’s Best in Basketball:

Pippen - 11th all-time for Forwards
Worthy - not listed, didn’t make the cut, is in the last chapter “The Other Guys”

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/worthy-vs-pippen.png

This one is not close.

Unlike Pippen, there was never a time when James Worthy was considered the best all-around player and best perimeter player in the league.

Axe
02-27-2021, 07:52 PM
1-9ball usually judges hof players by their career ppg. Other stats? Not so much.

3ball
02-27-2021, 09:22 PM
Pippen is not only more highly regarded than Worthy, but he’s also much more accomplished.

ESPN’s All-Time Ranking:

Pippen - 19th
Worthy - 51st

Bill Simmons Book of Basketball All-Time Ranking:

Pippen - 24th
Worthy - 50th

Elliot Kalb’s Who’s Better Who’s Best in Basketball:

Pippen - 11th all-time for Forwards
Worthy - not listed, didn’t make the cut, is in the last chapter “The Other Guys”

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/worthy-vs-pippen.png

This one is not close.

Unlike Pippen, there was never a time when James Worthy was considered the best all-around player and best perimeter player in the league.

Pippen never dominated and never reached Worthy's level shown below:

* #1 option on back-to-back champs
* FMVP
* completely dominant in many playoff series
* the best player in many series
* best player in a Finals that had Magic/Kareem/Bird/McHale

But despite never dominating and not playing anywhere near Worthy's level, Pippen got more credit by playing on the only 2-star dynasty, and therefore not sharing shine with 3rd and 4th stars like Worthy did.

So forget the accolades decided by Rachel Nichols and other Joe the Plumbers like her - the only thing that matters is that Pippen never dominated, whereas Worthy did all the time.. Pippen was never the best player in a series, while Worthy was the best player in many series and even entire Playoffs.

So Pippen is nowhere near Worthy - he was simply inflated by the winning spotlight and association with the goat

SouBeachTalents
02-27-2021, 09:34 PM
Pippen never dominated and never reached Worthy's level shown below:

* #1 option on back-to-back champs
* FMVP
* completely dominant in many playoff series
* the best player in many series
* best player in a Finals that had Magic/Kareem/Bird/McHale

But despite never dominating and not playing anywhere near Worthy's level, Pippen got more credit by playing on the only 2-star dynasty, and therefore not sharing shine with 3rd and 4th stars like Worthy did.

So forget the accolades decided by Rachel Nichols and other Joe the Plumbers like her - the only thing that matters is that Pippen never dominated, whereas Worthy did all the time.. Pippen was never the best player in a series, while Worthy was the best player in many series and even entire Playoffs.

So Pippen is nowhere near Worthy - he was simply inflated by the winning spotlight and association with the goat
Do you seriously believe Worthy is scoring considerably more points with Jordan than prime Pippen was during their title runs? You put Pippen with Magic and he could've conceivably been the highest scoring player on those Lakers teams. And for the record Worthy's FMVP is legitimately one of the most fraudulent ones in league history, Magic was significantly better through then first 6 games. And which fcking series was Worthy EVER better than Magic/Kareem/Bird/McHale :oldlol:

Hey Yo
02-27-2021, 09:38 PM

So All-NBA is affected by cast and is voted on by people like Rachel Nichols, aka Joe the Plumbers like you and me.

So it's a poor argument for a player being good..

Playoff performance is obviously the only real measuring stick and Pippen is arguably the worst playoff performers ever, given his stature
Like I said.... Worthy with ZERO All-defensive selections

3ball
02-28-2021, 01:38 AM
Do you seriously believe Worthy is scoring considerably more points with Jordan than prime Pippen was during their title runs?

Worthy averaged 25 ppg as the leading scorer on super-teams, so why wouldn't he average more on a 2-star team?

For example, Worthy averaged 31 on 60% in the 87' WCF alongside Kareem and Magic, so who knows how much he'd get on the 2-star Bulls team.

Btw, Worthy shot less than Bulls Pippen but scored more because Worthy routinely shot 60% and Pippen 40%.. So Worthy wouldn't need more shots - he was getting 25 ppg on less shots than pippen needed to get 20

But tbh, Jordan's return in 95' gave everyone a 1-2 point haircut - it was an equitable reduction across the board because he fit with everyone - he wasn't cratering certain players due to lack of fit like lebron..