PDA

View Full Version : 3-peats are cute but what about 8-peats?

AirBonner
02-18-2021, 02:36 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/yWJfOEtMoQmCwNJe98ty_OVRUPYu6tXSrl7-7fUoyOyryP-DBHy-4i3cgznowXYltW5lwHHyuytdp72HMV_IknPMMypsmycloAVLtK PJPukSajm4pz6shrdbqsvNlMn1F225CWvOsXugr1Fuol8F

2much_knowledge
02-18-2021, 03:10 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/yWJfOEtMoQmCwNJe98ty_OVRUPYu6tXSrl7-7fUoyOyryP-DBHy-4i3cgznowXYltW5lwHHyuytdp72HMV_IknPMMypsmycloAVLtK PJPukSajm4pz6shrdbqsvNlMn1F225CWvOsXugr1Fuol8F

I respect Mr Russell, but..... Boston in the 60s was like dropping the 16-18 warriors on an 8 team league

AirBonner
02-18-2021, 03:11 PM
I respect Mr Russell, but..... Boston in the 60s was like dropping the 16-18 warriors on an 8 team league

At least half of those rings should have been wilt’s had he not shit the bed so often

Airupthere
02-18-2021, 03:26 PM
Its how MJ had the two 3 peats. 6/6 and 6 finals mvps. The two 3 peats are basically two different lineups except for MJ and pip and MJ dominated the numbers and showed up when it matters. Also, the second 3 peat came after a hiatus. Those must all be factored in.

zeerghit
02-18-2021, 03:28 PM

what about 2015? 73-9 ??

2much_knowledge
02-18-2021, 03:30 PM
what about 2015? 73-9 ??

What about it? Whats your point

zeerghit
02-18-2021, 03:38 PM
What about it? Whats your point

why you said 2016-2018? and leaved 2015? didint fit agenda or what?

rawimpact
02-18-2021, 03:49 PM
Could you imagine 8 teams and one of them with pretty much four of the top ten players on it.

One can respect it for what it was, but today's game is much more evolved. It's like motor sports of the 20s vs now.

3ball
02-18-2021, 04:03 PM
The problem with Bill Russell is that he never faced any defensive attention.

That's why it's necessary to be a scorer, which ensures maximum stat and ring integrity by facing maximum defensive attention.

Furthermore, the last 40 MVP's since the 3-point line was instituted have been dominant offensive players, so we know Russell wouldn't be MVP-caliber in the modern era.

Ultimately, Bill Russell is the greatest role player ever, who only won because he played with 10 HOF's in an 8-team league (85% of the league's good players were on his team).

3ball
02-18-2021, 04:04 PM
Btw, everyone in history needed an equal-scoring teammate to win half their rings (1b) - only Jordan won rings with true 2nd options as a standard, so he's the only guy that faced "1-man team" defensive coverage for his entire career (kenny smith talks about this fact here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4UF6Xx3F2Lo&t=01m54s)).. facing maximum defensive attention gives Jordan's stats and rings maximum quality.. Jordan infact had the lowest-producing 2nd option and least star help of any top 10 player, and also won the 93' ring with the lowest sidekick BPM, PER, and WS/48 ever in the playoffs

dankok8
02-18-2021, 04:17 PM
If the OP's point is that Russell is the GOAT, I have no problem with it.

1. Russell
2. Jordan
3. Kareem
4. Lebron

Fine list if you ask me.

3ball
02-18-2021, 04:23 PM

1. Russell
2. Jordan
3. Kareem
4. Lebron

Fine list if you ask me.

Bird was taller than lebron with bigger hands, while being the the superior rebounder and inside player

And he was the better outside player - so he was a better rebounder, shooter, passer, inside player, outside player, and better at ball movement/off-ball/team ceiling

Lebron has no case over Bird unless you credit his manufactured resume over Bird's organic chameleon (fits with any player or system.. and rookie bird achieved the goat turnaround of a team)

1. Russell
2. Jordan
3. Kareem
4. Lebron

Fine list if you ask me.

That's why it's necessary to be a scorer, which ensures maximum stat and ring integrity by facing maximum defensive attention.

Furthermore, the last 40 MVP's since the 3-point line was instituted have been dominant offensive players, so we know Russell wouldn't be MVP-caliber in the modern era.

Ultimately, Bill Russell is the greatest role player ever, who only won because he played with 10 HOF's in an 8-team league (85% of the league's good players were on his team).

AirBonner
02-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Bird was taller than lebron with bigger hands, while being the the superior rebounder and inside player

And he was the better outside player - so he was a better rebounder, shooter, passer, inside player, outside player, and better at ball movement/off-ball/team ceiling

Lebron has no case over Bird unless you credit his manufactured resume over Bird's organic chameleon (fits with any player or system.. and rookie bird achieved the goat turnaround of a team)

Russell best talent equal to or greater than his own team. MJ never had an equal talent oppont

Axe
02-18-2021, 05:24 PM
Well, patrick mccaw was the last person to three-peat. Ain't that cute?

bison
02-18-2021, 05:29 PM

I don’t get why people use the ‘8 teams’ argument against Mr Russell. Wouldn’t that suggest a less diluted talent pool? Less teams meant the Celtics were facing their toughest rivals with more frequency. Also we always rank players relative to their competition. You can’t have a valid ranking based on speculation of whom might have done what in any era.

3ball
02-18-2021, 05:43 PM
I don’t get why people use the ‘8 teams’ argument against Mr Russell. Wouldn’t that suggest a less diluted talent pool? Less teams meant the Celtics were facing their toughest rivals with more frequency. Also we always rank players relative to their competition. You can’t have a valid ranking based on speculation of whom might have done what in any era.

It was an 8 team league where 85% of the HOF players were on Russell's team (9 HOF teammates) - a league designed to take down 1 man (wilt)

Manny98
02-18-2021, 07:44 PM
It was an 8 team league where 85% of the HOF players were on Russell's team (9 HOF teammates) - a league designed to take down 1 man (wilt)

Wilt formed the first ever superteam with Baylor and West and still lost to Daddy Russell

Wilt was a choker simple as that. A lot of those HOFs that Russell played with weren't actually great players they only made the HOF because they were Russells teammates and won a lot of championships

Manny98
02-18-2021, 07:45 PM
Again not really, Russell's teams played poorly without him and every team in the league has multiple HOF players

Give Russell credit for being the GOAT leader/Defender that he is and dominating his era unlike any other

Exhibit A look at the roster Wilt played on before colluding with Baylor and West https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/1968.html

Literally every player on that team was either a HOF and/or a multiple time all star

But Wilt had no help tho :facepalm

Stanley Kobrick
02-18-2021, 08:22 PM
Wilt formed the first ever superteam with Baylor and West and still lost to Daddy Russell

Wilt was a choker simple as that. A lot of those HOFs that Russell played with weren't actually great players they only made the HOF because they were Russells teammates and won a lot of championships
:cheers: