PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson feasted on a terrible conference for his entire career.

999Guy
02-18-2021, 09:17 PM
How do people who care about team playoff results reconcile this?

It’s actually sickening how many flawed, injured or flat out bad teams he played.

Look at this shit:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1984.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1985.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1986.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1987.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1988.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1989.html

Magic Johnson managed to play a first round opponent with a LOSING record and negative net rating for SIX straight seasons. SIX lottery level opponents. Essentially a first round bye every year.

That’s INSANE.

Compare that to Chris Paul from 2008 to now.

This is a guy who saw prime Spurs, Warriors, Thunder, Grizzlies, Rockets in the first two rounds for a decade.

The worst teams Chris Paul has ever faced in the West are Melo and Billups Nuggets, Dirk’s Mavs right after they got Kidd but before they Got Chandler, and Gobert’s Jazz when they had peak Hayward and then Mitchell to replace him.

The second magic saw real ATG talent in the West, they started to kick his ass. Hakeem knocked him the hell out, Stockton nearly upset him in 88, KJ blew his ass away in 1990.

This is how bad things were, in 1985 his second round opponent the Blazers, only on the level of say the Nets last year, had his future sixth man and bench player in 87, as their second option.

Mychal Thompson was the second option on that team, then rode the bench and did a couple quarters of play for Magic on the way to one of the easiest titles ever.

His 1986 opponent the Mavericks, had Mark Aquire as the lead guard and clear top offensive player. He ended up being 5th option on the 89 Pistons that gets hyped up.

This guy was facing 5th options as lead guys. In the second round. The glorious second round people thought and still thinks it’s fair to criticize Chris Paul for not leaving until 2018.

While he was absolute peak Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Spurs, and the Warriors, yes even the god damn KD Warriors in the 2019 secound round. I’m mentioning Chris Paul it really exposes the public’s ongoing stupidity for decades now when it comes to measuring players. RUDY GOBERTS JAZZ make multiple finals in the 1980’s West and I’m completely convinced of it. Steve Nash couldn’t beat peak Duncan, Parker and Manu, in the secound round, what a scrub. He’d be lucky to not have faced Walter Davis’ ferocious 41-41 second round making 1984 Phoenix Suns.

Chris Paul around the same age? Saw the reigning back to back champion 2011 Lakers....In the first round. Good thing he had Trevor Ariza as his sidekick.

And yes, in what inevitably went down as a negative moment in Chris Paul’s playoff career, he faced a championship team in the first round, with Trevor Ariza being his secondary creator.

tpols
02-18-2021, 09:20 PM
But Magic went 5/9 in the Finals against the GOAT'est of teams. Yea he had easy paths and that matters because a gauntlet will wear you down for the final bout, but he still has a positive record. Bran did the same thing with more help and has a losing record.

999Guy
02-18-2021, 09:32 PM
But Magic went 5/9 in the Finals against the GOAT'est of teams. Yea he had easy paths and that matters because a gauntlet will wear you down for the final bout, but he still has a positive record. Bran did the same thing with more help and has a losing record.So this is how it’s reconciled. Bringing up LeBron.

Not reviewing how logical it is to use no context championships as something that matters, but bring up LeBron and finals records.

And by the way, Magic didn’t face any actual goat level teams. KD Warriors reaches a tier over those Celtics.

The Spurs were right there with them.

Stephonit
02-18-2021, 09:33 PM
That's part of the reason Magic is overrated whenever someone says he's better than Bird. Look at what the Celtics had to face in the Eastern Conference in comparison. Jordan-led Bulls were the weakest competition Bird and the Celtics faced in a couple of those years.

ShawkFactory
02-18-2021, 09:34 PM
It's interesting that the Bird and Magic comparison was really only tight individually for a year or two. Bird completely dominated the narrative from 80-86. He was top 3 in MVP voting every year, including his rookie year. Obviously won 3 in a row. Magic completely dominated 87-90 once Bird started to fall off.

Great player, but recency bias helps Magic's case.

If it wasn't for 1987 the general comparison between the two wouldn't be all that close.

tpols
02-18-2021, 09:37 PM
So this is how it’s reconciled. Bringing up LeBron.

Not reviewing how logical it is to use no context championships as something that matters, but bring up LeBron and finals records.

And by the way, Magic didn’t face any actual goat level teams. KD Warriors reaches a tier over those Celtics.

Not a chance. The 80's 76ers, Celtics, and Pistons are all right their with Curry's Dub's Dynasty. And of course way... way, way, way better than the Old Spurs or Cinderella Mavericks, or +6000 title odds Heat.

Magic eye test was a genius. He ENHANCED guys... players didn't bend for him. He learned their strengths and maximized their productions. And was a GOAT leader and hardcore competitor. So he was on a totally different level.

Stephonit
02-18-2021, 09:38 PM
It's interesting that the Bird and Magic comparison was really only tight individually for a year or two. Bird completely dominated the narrative from 80-86. He was top 3 in MVP voting every year, including his rookie year. Obviously won 3 in a row. Magic completely dominated 87-90 once Bird started to fall off.

Great player, but recency bias helps Magic's case with him.

If it wasn't for 1987 the general comparison between the two wouldn't be all that close.

Compare the road to the finals for the Lakers and Celtics that year and it still shouldn't be that close.

My impression is that with Bird injured and on the decline the media used fluff to boost Magic a bit in the interregnum before Jordan took over.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-18-2021, 09:44 PM

I thought 3ball and warriorfan were the only crackheads here?

The '86 Celtics and '83 Sixers were absolutely GOAT level. Tier above KD's Warriors you say? Better keep that same energy with the '18 Rockets, who were minutes away from taking them out.

ShawkFactory
02-18-2021, 09:45 PM
Compare the road to the finals for the Lakers and Celtics that year and it still shouldn't be that close.

The "road to the finals" was something artificially constructed to combat the Lebron kids.

Magic was incredible in 1987, throughout the entire year. There was no one commenting on how weak the Sonics were for them leading up to the Celtics.

Larry Bird and Kevin Mchale weren't concerned about their previous slugfest with Detroit in the finals. Things were different.

999Guy
02-18-2021, 09:47 PM
I thought 3ball and warriorfan were the only crackheads here?

The '86 Celtics and '83 Sixers were absolutely GOAT level. Tier above KD's Warriors you say? Better keep that same energy with the '18 Rockets, who were a minutes away from taking them out.
Lol look at you drooling at your little moment to have anything to say to the general idea of this thread.

Ni.gga I don’t give a ****, I’m high on those Rockets.

Anybody who would bet against the 17 Warriors compared to any 80’s team(and thinking 18 was close just shows you weren’t paying attention), is just stupid and not worth my time, which by the way means I don’t have much left for you after this post.

Hey Yo
02-18-2021, 09:48 PM
People always talk about Lebron's cakewalk to the Finals but none of them top the Lakers 1987 run.

The 3 conference teams they faced were a combined 118-128 in the regular season.

999Guy
02-18-2021, 09:55 PM
I don’t think the public can handle the reality that say, the Paul George Pacers would unequivocally own the Conference at their best.

That Chauncey Billups would be seen as the clutchest, biggest dick game manager point guard ever and a legitimate legend like Isiah I’d his Pistons played in that era.

Prime Russell Westbrook would be an alien species of talent compared the rest of that conference. His ‘disappointing’ Thunder post-KD, would kill everything in sight on the way to some finals berths.

The playoffs got to be known as a defensive time of the season, but that West was loaded with horrible defensive teams. It’s known now, as like a scientific rule you cannot win in the NBA without defense. The 80’s West had a bunch of flawed one way teams.

If you can make decent rotations and rebound a bit, you’re just never losing in that conference.

So Rudy Gobert would absolutely be god king of the 80’s West with his Jazz the last several years. And it’d be known. He’d be seen as a Bill Russell remake.

I’m trying to think of the worst team era that would definitely own that conference. Who is stopping by the Joel and Simmons Sixers from 18 to now? How does it ever happen?

D-Will’s Jazz at the end of the 00’s and Melo Knicks would be seen as playoff winners in place of LA.

HBK_Kliq_2
02-18-2021, 09:58 PM
Agreed with OP. He never led any of his championship teams in scoring. His defense was below average. So he's basically a glorified 6"9 Steve Nash who just had better teammates and was in a less competitive era.

clipps
02-18-2021, 10:02 PM
LeBron did the same:confusedshrug:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-18-2021, 10:02 PM
Lol look at you drooling at your little moment to have anything to say to the general idea of this thread.

If you don't want replies then don't make threads :confusedshrug:

Ni.gga I don’t give a ****, I’m high on those Rockets.

You're high, period. :oldlol: Claiming to be big on that Rockets team and then saying Showtime never faced GOAT level teams? Nobody with a brain thinks that checks out. Look at relative SRS and Net Rtg to educate yourself.

Anybody who would bet against the 17 Warriors compared to them(and thinking 18 was close just shows you weren’t paying attention), is just stupid and not worth my time, which by the way means I don’t have much left for you after this post.

It went 7 games and was decided in the final minutes. Either you didn't watch that series or you're just completely clueless.

And what makes you think I give a damn about your time? You're literally an alt account, p*ssy :lol

Axe
02-18-2021, 10:59 PM
If you don't want replies then don't make threads :confusedshrug:

You're high, period. :oldlol: Claiming to be big on that Rockets team and then saying Showtime never faced GOAT level teams? Nobody with a brain thinks that checks out. Look at relative SRS and Net Rtg to educate yourself.

It went 7 games and was decided in the final minutes. Either you didn't watch that series or you're just completely clueless.

And what makes you think I give a damn about your time? You're literally an alt account, p*ssy :lol
Case closed

/thread

SouBeachTalents
02-18-2021, 11:11 PM

C'mon, the West was ass but Magic faced great teams in the Finals. The Moses/Dr. J Sixers, Bird Celtics & Bad Boy Pistons is as tough a Finals competition as anybody's faced

999Guy
02-18-2021, 11:34 PM
C'mon, the West was ass but Magic faced great teams in the Finals. The Moses/Dr. J Sixers, Bird Celtics & Bad Boy Pistons is as tough a Finals competition as anybody's faced

It’s not as tough as what LeBron faced.

And I really don’t care about any of that AT ALL. But I guess dummy’s(Tpols no offense), first argument is how people reconcile the reality of just how easy Magic’s playoff career was.

The only reason people are as high on the teams you mentioned is because they won titles. It’s a feedback loop of fallacies and narratives.

Why the hell are the 2018 Rockets, 2016 Thunder, 2013 Spurs, 2016 Warriors, etc definitively worse than any of those teams? Your argument would be because they’d didn’t win, but they lost to other teams that were amazing. It’s the exact opposite feedback loop of dumb that puts Magic on a pedestal. And it’s all based on rings. Magic simply faced title level opponents.

The 14 Clippers or 16 Spurs being a second round opponent would’ve horrified him.

If you get 2-3 bye rounds yearly, why would I ever care about your finals record or real team results compared to any other ATG ever? It’s all just so dumb.

Another team that would own the 80’s West: KJ’s Suns.....

FKAri
02-18-2021, 11:42 PM
Magic has gotten slightly overrated in retrospect. I think the AIDS retirement gave him a rock star who died young type legacy boost.

2much_knowledge
02-19-2021, 02:29 AM
Yes, The West was not that good in the 80s. But at the same time, Celtics, Sixers and Pistons... as tough as it gets in the finals

They could be won in 89 if it wasn't for that pulled hamstring too. But got lucky with isiah in 88 tho

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-19-2021, 02:47 AM
Reminds me of the 12-18 Leastern Conference

SouBeachTalents
02-19-2021, 02:48 AM
Reminds me of the 12-18 Leastern Conference
Please, as bad as the East was then LeBron was not facing 39 & 41 win teams in the conference finals :lol

Hey Yo
02-19-2021, 02:48 AM
Lakers strength of schedule in the 80's

1980: 22nd out of 22
1981: 21st out of 23
1982: 22nd
1983: 22nd
1984: 23rd
1985: 23rd
1986: 23rd
1987: 23rd
1988: 23rd
1989: 23rd out of 25

TheGoatest
02-19-2021, 05:13 AM
At least Magic went on to face some proper teams in the Finals and didn't have to face the weakest finals competition ever.