PDA

View Full Version : NBA Players Are Scoring More Points Than Ever. Reason is Right in Front of Our Eyes

Stephonit
02-26-2021, 02:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32l4gIoxfY8

light
02-26-2021, 04:23 AM
idk man. Some dude used to average 50 points per game.

Gohan
02-26-2021, 04:30 AM
I’ll take the players on the left over the right, jus sayin. The ones on the left are legends

Mr. Woke
02-26-2021, 12:21 PM
Players are more skilled nowadays and the pace has increased.

3ball
02-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Players are more skilled nowadays and the pace has increased.

Players aren't more skilled - that's the biggest myth in the history of sports and only people with a very shallow understanding believe this (most people)

Yes, players can handle and shoot threes better - but that's it - they're worse at everything else, such as contested shot-making, 2-point shot-making, and passing (passing with no spacing is harder than passing in today's spaced-out, beginner format)

Pure scoring ability is shit today compared to previous eras where the lack of spacing required contested shot-making as a standard.. Previous eras were accustomed to playing games of 21 with 20 guys playing on 1 rim - this format develops superior shot-making and basketball instinct than today's beginner format

If we took the 80's format and gave it spacing and removed all ability to play physical defense, the scoring would be through the roof and higher than today.. Similarly, if we took away today's spacing and added physicality, the scoring would drop like a rock

Finally, here's an illustration of how dumb people are about this.. About 5 years ago (before the increase in scoring), everyone was saying that defenses were better than prior eras (floods, shading, etc) - now that these spacing-induced schemes have been shredded, the narrative has shifted to "oh, today's players are more skilled".. So it's bullshit

Micku
02-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Players aren't more skilled - that's the biggest myth in the history of sports and only people with a very shallow understanding believe this (most people)

Yes, players can handle and shoot threes better - but that's it - they're worse at everything else, such as contested shot-making, 2-point shot-making, and passing (passing with no spacing is harder than passing in today's spaced-out, beginner format)

Pure scoring ability is shit today compared to previous eras where the lack of spacing required contested shot-making as a standard.. Previous eras were accustomed to playing games of 21 with 20 guys playing on 1 rim - this format develops superior shot-making and basketball instinct than today's beginner format

If we took the 80's format and gave it spacing and removed all ability to play physical defense, the scoring would be through the roof and higher than today.. Similarly, if we took away today's spacing and added physicality, the scoring would drop like a rock

Finally, here's an illustration of how dumb people are about this.. About 5 years ago (before the increase in scoring), everyone was saying that defenses were better than prior eras (floods, shading, etc) - now that these spacing-induced schemes have been shredded, the narrative has shifted to "oh, today's players are more skilled".. So it's bullshit

I disagree...somewhat.

Stars you can see are generational tho. Like even now, nobody can pass like Magic. No one has the footwork of Mchale and Hakeem. And no one has the best combination of athletic ability and skillset like MJ.

But the average player? It has gotten better. The shooting, the athleticism, the ball handling. They have less ways to attack tho due to how the game is played, but it's all about 3pt shot and driving to to the basket. To do that, you need handles, quickness, and a good shot.

Like the vid do say, if you given the green light to some of the players in the past, you'll see their numbers likely go up too.

This has been a trickle down effect.

MJ influence guards to improve their iso game. Shaq caused the league to stop big men affect on defense, ppl who could've played center went to the pf spot and iso game. After low scoring in the mid 00s, the league wanted more scoring and took out physical defense. Mike D'Antoni influence pace with his Suns. Warriors and Steph influence 3pt shot.

Airupthere
02-26-2021, 01:21 PM
I disagree...somewhat.

Stars you can see are generational tho. Like even now, nobody can pass like Magic. No one has the footwork of Mchale and Hakeem. And no one has the best combination of athletic ability and skillset like MJ.

But the average player? It has gotten better. The shooting, the athleticism, the ball handling. They have less ways to attack tho due to how the game is played, but it's all about 3pt shot and driving to to the basket. To do that, you need handles, quickness, and a good shot.

Like the vid do say, if you given the green light to some of the players in the past, you'll see their numbers likely go up too.

MJ influence guards to improve their iso game. Shaq caused the league to stop big men affect on defense and iso game. After low scoring in the mid 00s, the league wanted more scoring and took out physical defense. Mike D'Antoni influence pace with his Suns. Warriors influence 3pt shot.

Would you conclude that the average player getting much better has made things easier for generational talents?

3ball
02-26-2021, 01:43 PM
I disagree...somewhat.

MJ influence guards to improve their iso game. Shaq caused the league to stop big men affect on defense, ppl who could've played center went to the pf spot and iso game. After low scoring in the mid 00s, the league wanted more scoring and took out physical defense. Mike D'Antoni influence pace with his Suns. Warriors and Steph influence 3pt shot.

According to ESPN (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9jtOOQ43yw4&t=05m42s), nearly half of Giannis' drives had no help defender.

They credit this to the great 3-point shooting of his teammates that prevent help defenders from coming off shooters to help

So how can Giannis be considered good when his drives are wide open?.. how can anyone be considered good if their drives are wide open? How is that more skilled?

We saw how Giannis played when teams make a concerted effort to clog the paint - he turns into a garbage, helpless player

Similar to most of today's players, he has no pure scoring ability

Mr. Woke
02-26-2021, 03:59 PM

You are delusional and full of shit.

The average NBA player today is more skilled than the average NBA player in the 90s.

Players today are more skilled shotmakers, more athletic, better shooters, etc. The modern era is also tougher and players have to be more versatile on defense.

The NBA of the 80s/90s/early 2000s was not as enjoyable to me. Watching a bunch of dudes shoot midrange shots and post up incessantly is not my idea of a good time.

It's great that the modern era is more exciting.

Spurs m8
02-26-2021, 05:01 PM
Of course they are...there's no defense now

3ball
02-26-2021, 06:11 PM

The average NBA player today is more skilled than the average NBA player in the 90s.

Players today are more skilled shotmakers, more athletic, better shooters, etc. The modern era is also tougher and players have to be more versatile on defense.

The NBA of the 80s/90s/early 2000s was not as enjoyable to me. Watching a bunch of dudes shoot midrange shots and post up incessantly is not my idea of a good time.

Today's players shoot threes and layups - the easiest shots possible - they infact suck at basketball

More pace and space makes anyone look athletic.. but they aren't

and all the euros make it even worse.. a lower proportion of black americans in today's game (so it's more soft and less athletic)

Micku
02-26-2021, 06:27 PM

I know this is for 3ball, but I guess era is more subjective.

He's right and like everybody has been saying that this era sucks with defense. But part of the reason why is that pace and space is so good nowadays and the league gutted defense.

But when it comes to era, the late 80s-early 90s and the mid to late 00s were the best for me. Although I do have a soft spot for the early 00s, but 02-04 were a pain in the ass to watch sometimes. The late 90s was a pain too, but they have one of my favorite teams, so go figure.

The reason why it was so exciting to me is because teams had different styles that fitted their players. Often times, it was like the West coast has that fast pace style and the East coast was more slow and grind it out basketball. There were exceptions. Nowadays, most teams wanna go small and copy the Warriors, but it leads to frustrating moments to me when they either don't maximize the talent that they have or they force players to fit their analytics than to fit their play style.

I don't hate this era tho. But it is wild that teams would leave the paint open as often as they do. But that's the benefit of having a good shooter. But with teams playing small ball like this, I wonder when will the next big come and impact the NBA again? Because this small ball stuff should be really punishable with the right talent.

2much_knowledge
02-26-2021, 09:35 PM
Rules changes, subtle rule changes over the years. To benefit the offense, allowing players to put up more sexy numbers to make them more marketable and fool the casual fans that the starts today are 100 times better cause of the numbers. I don't fall for that

Mr. Woke
02-27-2021, 01:05 AM
Today's players shoot threes and layups - the easiest shots possible - they infact suck at basketball

More pace and space makes anyone look athletic.. but they aren't

and all the euros make it even worse.. a lower proportion of black americans in today's game (so it's more soft and less athletic)

You are wrong boyo.

Modern NBA players are flat out better players than NBA players of previous eras.

The modern NBA is tougher.

Axe
02-27-2021, 01:46 AM
Any player who averages below 20ppg is bad, according to 1-9ball.

3ball
02-27-2021, 02:23 AM
You are wrong boyo.

Modern NBA players are flat out better players than NBA players of previous eras.

Nope today's players shoot threes and in-stride layups because the spacing and hands-off format allows it (beginner format) - they suck anytime there's actual traffic and contested shot-making - see the league MVP look helpless when the paint gets marginally clogged in the playoffs - he's helpless

otoh, contested shots were required on most possessions in the no-spacing eras of the past, so each player had to develop their own individually-unique way to score ON defenders... that's why players in previous eras had one-of-a-kind styles (aka jamaal wilkes, mcadoo, etc) and today's players all have the same style like identical robots that are stopped by contests (harrison barnes, lebron, draymond)... But their in-stride layups and elgin-steps on a spaced-out court look cool and "skilled" though!!! .. lol ... :rolleyes

Lay off the cable son it's making you dumb as shit and probably more out of shape than ever before

ralph_i_el
02-27-2021, 05:31 AM

How do you "take away spacing"? It comes from player's ability to shoot...a "skill" if you would.

paksat
02-27-2021, 08:52 AM
You are wrong boyo.

how bad of a poster is this guy?

tougher? It's like of all things you picked this?? When you get an elbow for going to the paint in the late 80's and 90's.. and it's, tougher now?

Idk why I even bother to quote you, or anyone else. Just a really really bad troll

on topic:

the early 2000's had to so much more flair it's not even close on that alone. Watching vince carter in the dunk contest, watching ray allen in the 3 point contest, seeing those all star games where players were going all out as hard as they can possibly go...

There was no flopping either, very little crying on top of that too. Men were being men out there and playing basketball, not just chucking 3 pointers because of analytics. How many legends are gonna come out of this current era anyway? Lebronze, curry, MAYBE kyrie? Kevin durant is really from the end of the 2000's era more than he is apart of this one, but we'll throw him in there. It's a massive step down from those names, I mean is kawhi the next legend? Meanwhile iverson alone is more exciting than any of these guys. Wade had more flair and was thrilling to watchin in his prime. Kobe no one even compares remotely with him. Ray allen could shoot nearly as good as curry while also being borderline great at everything else ( tremendous slasher on the bucks/sonics ). You had gilbert arenas about to drop 50 at any moment and was telling everyone before the game he was gonna do it.

I don't even need to list ANY of the big men because the guards already won the argument by themselves. No one in this league right now will ever touch kevin garnett let alone shaq, duncan, etc.

All star weekend in the early 2000's was can't miss television, now? LOL Just lol @ today's NBA

r0drig0lac
02-27-2021, 10:47 AM

this

Mr. Woke
02-27-2021, 12:46 PM
Nope today's players shoot threes and in-stride layups because the spacing and hands-off format allows it (beginner format) - they suck anytime there's actual traffic and contested shot-making - see the league MVP look helpless when the paint gets marginally clogged in the playoffs - he's helpless

otoh, contested shots were required on most possessions in the no-spacing eras of the past, so each player had to develop their own individually-unique way to score ON defenders... that's why players in previous eras had one-of-a-kind styles (aka jamaal wilkes, mcadoo, etc) and today's players all have the same style like identical robots that are stopped by contests (harrison barnes, lebron, draymond)... But their in-stride layups and elgin-steps on a spaced-out court look cool and "skilled" though!!! .. lol ... :rolleyes

Lay off the cable son it's making you dumb as shit and probably more out of shape than ever before

You are wrong buddy boy.

Try to watch games every now and then.

Mr. Woke
02-27-2021, 12:49 PM
how bad of a poster is this guy?

tougher? It's like of all things you picked this?? When you get an elbow for going to the paint in the late 80's and 90's.. and it's, tougher now?

Idk why I even bother to quote you, or anyone else. Just a really really bad troll

on topic:

the early 2000's had to so much more flair it's not even close on that alone. Watching vince carter in the dunk contest, watching ray allen in the 3 point contest, seeing those all star games where players were going all out as hard as they can possibly go...

There was no flopping either, very little crying on top of that too. Men were being men out there and playing basketball, not just chucking 3 pointers because of analytics. How many legends are gonna come out of this current era anyway? Lebronze, curry, MAYBE kyrie? Kevin durant is really from the end of the 2000's era more than he is apart of this one, but we'll throw him in there. It's a massive step down from those names, I mean is kawhi the next legend? Meanwhile iverson alone is more exciting than any of these guys. Wade had more flair and was thrilling to watchin in his prime. Kobe no one even compares remotely with him. Ray allen could shoot nearly as good as curry while also being borderline great at everything else ( tremendous slasher on the bucks/sonics ). You had gilbert arenas about to drop 50 at any moment and was telling everyone before the game he was gonna do it.

I don't even need to list ANY of the big men because the guards already won the argument by themselves. No one in this league right now will ever touch kevin garnett let alone shaq, duncan, etc.

All star weekend in the early 2000's was can't miss television, now? LOL Just lol @ today's NBA

Hello Patrick Chewing.

The modern NBA is tougher and has more flair than past eras. Players are also more skilled than ever before.

There are tons of stars in the modern era, and they are very enjoyable to watch.

The NBA of the 90s/early 2000s was inferior. Watching a bunch of dudes shoot midrange shots and post up incessantly is not my idea of a good time.

jmcwilliams
02-27-2021, 01:38 PM
Bring back Hand Checking to level the playing field and stop calling fouls on every other play.

Mr. Woke
02-27-2021, 02:49 PM
Bring back Hand Checking to level the playing field and stop calling fouls on every other play.

Hand checking has never gone away.

Bronbron23
02-27-2021, 03:10 PM
With the rules and heavy use of the pick rolls literally any skilled gaurd can look really good. Wouldn't say they're more or less skilled in general than the previous generation or 2. It's just different now.

It's why using stats to compare players in different era's is pointless. All these gaurds putting up insane numbers now would have completely different roles if the came up in the 90's or 2000's

Bronbron23
02-27-2021, 03:15 PM
Hand checking has never gone away.

It's not gone away but it's allowed way less than ever and guys barely do it now because they know they'll get called for it. Shit you used to be able to pick up a player full court and ride and hand check his ass the full 90 feet. No way you can do that now.

It's honestly a joke now. You can't even fight through screens and contest shots anymore. I'm a pretty good defender but i can't imagine stopping anyone if i couldn't fight through screens or contest perimeter shots. The nba wanted more offense and these rules have provided just that.

Mr. Woke
02-28-2021, 01:14 AM
It's not gone away but it's allowed way less than ever and guys barely do it now because they know they'll get called for it. Shit you used to be able to pick up a player full court and ride and hand check his ass the full 90 feet. No way you can do that now.

It's honestly a joke now. You can't even fight through screens and contest shots anymore. I'm a pretty good defender but i can't imagine stopping anyone if i couldn't fight through screens or contest perimeter shots. The nba wanted more offense and these rules have provided just that.

You are exaggerating big time.

Players simply need to play smarter defense.

3ball
02-28-2021, 01:17 AM
You are exaggerating big time.

Players simply need to play smarter defense.

Today's beginner format (spaced-out, hands-off, no impede) breeds beginner skillsets (layups/threes)

Mr. Woke
02-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Today's beginner format (spaced-out, hands-off, no impede) breeds beginner skillsets (layups/threes)

Modern players are more skilled.