PDA

View Full Version : KG says in his new book he called Kobe to team up before going to Boston.

Kblaze8855
02-26-2021, 06:33 AM
Garnett shared a funny yet frustrating story on his plans to head to the Lakers after his fallout with the Minnesota Timberwolves (https://clutchpoints.com/sports/nba/minnesota-timberwolves). People like Tyronn Lue and Antoine Walker prodded him to get that ring that he deserves.

News broke that the Boston Celtics (https://clutchpoints.com/sports/nba/boston-celtics) had just sealed the deal with 3-point assassin Ray Allen (https://clutchpoints.com/sports/nba/players/ray-allen/3684). Walker felt that Garnett should follow suit. But in his heart, Garnett wanted to be teammates with Kobe in Los Angeles. So he texted and call the number that Lue gave him -- only not to get a single reply or call back. When they finally saw each other, the following conversation ensued after Garnett had already spurned the Lakers, per Bleacher Report (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2933193-kevin-garnett-uncensored-excerpt-when-kobe-and-i-were-the-future):

Never got the message
Bullshit
What number you call?
The right number. The one T-Lue gave me.
You know how it goes, KG” said the Lakers star. We change numbers like we change drawers.
I’m believing you got the message.”
Messages get lost.”
Not when a message is sent 20 f–kin times.”
Look, man, I had China. I had the new Nike line poppin off. I had more shitt happening than ever before. I was moving in eight different directions.”
We kept beefin for a minute or two. It got caught on camera, and folks made more of it than was really there. I had me some hurt feelings. Finally, Bean apologized, and that was good enough for me.

FultzNationRISE
02-26-2021, 06:59 AM
What an incredible writing talent.

tpols
02-26-2021, 08:12 AM
So basically Kobe ignored Garnett's pleas and requests to form a super team and told him to kick rocks. Not many left like that. *cough* *cough*

And then people got on his back for wanting to play with Luol Deng.

Kblaze8855
02-26-2021, 08:35 AM
I’m gonna take Kobe at his word on this one. He probably somehow didn’t get the message. This would have been the same summer he requested a trade I think.

Horatio33
02-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Kobe was a weird guy. Caron Butler got Kobe's number, rang it, after a couple of minutes of awkward conversation the call ended. Butler rang him a few days later and the number wasn't in use. Kobe had changed his number. A very paranoid man.

Wally450
02-26-2021, 10:23 AM
Man, those Lakers teams with KG instead of Gasol would have been unfair.

guy
02-26-2021, 12:17 PM
Man, those Lakers teams with KG instead of Gasol would have been unfair.

The KG trade would've been for Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, so Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton who were the salaries used for the Gasol trade would've still been on the roster. So unless the other assets used in the KG trade would've been needed for the Gasol trade, which is possible, then theoretically they could've still gotten Gasol.

pandiani17
02-26-2021, 12:58 PM
I’m gonna take Kobe at his word on this one. He probably somehow didn’t get the message. This would have been the same summer he requested a trade I think.

I agree. I mean, how are you going to say "No" to a Top 5-Top 10 player in the league, especially when your team is not that good (it wasn't in the summer of 2007)? Maybe he switched numbers, didn't see the message or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that he rejected to team up with Kevin Garnett.

Xiao Yao You
02-26-2021, 01:05 PM
I agree. I mean, how are you going to say "No" to a Top 5-Top 10 player in the league, especially when your team is not that good (it wasn't in the summer of 2007)? Maybe he switched numbers, didn't see the message or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that he rejected to team up with Kevin Garnett.

thought he could do it by himself for a couple seasons before he figured out he couldn't

iamgine
02-26-2021, 01:25 PM
Wished he'd have gone to Phoenix. Marion-Amare-KG frontcourt would be awesome.

SouBeachTalents
02-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Wished he'd have gone to Phoenix. Marion-Amare-KG frontcourt would be awesome.
Not a chance they get to keep Amare & Marion in a trade for KG

tpols
02-26-2021, 01:45 PM
The KG trade would've been for Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, so Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton who were the salaries used for the Gasol trade would've still been on the roster. So unless the other assets used in the KG trade would've been needed for the Gasol trade, which is possible, then theoretically they could've still gotten Gasol.

Imagine KG Kobe and Gasol all prime lmao... that's the type of stuff people complain about when they are talking unfair super teams.

FultzNationRISE
02-26-2021, 01:52 PM
Imagine KG Kobe and Gasol all prime lmao... that's the type of stuff people complain about when they are talking unfair super teams.

They were better as they were IMO, KG is a high post guy not a low post banger. Gasol and Odom already filled those roles. Bynum’s size enabled him to get crucial tip-ins and shot blocks deep in the paint.

I know Kobe could always use moar halp, but lets face it he had the most stacked teams humanly possible.

Plus if KG goes to LA that means the Boston Superteam never stop Lebron from getting to the finals, and given Bron’s track record of mushing Kobe head to head, I think it’s obvious how that plays out.

tpols
02-26-2021, 01:57 PM
They were better as they were IMO, KG is a high post guy not a low post banger. Gasol and Odom already filled those roles. Bynum’s size enabled him to get crucial tip-ins and shot blocks deep in the paint.

I know Kobe could always use moar halp, but lets face it he had the most stacked teams humanly possible.

Plus if KG goes to LA that means the Boston Superteam never stop Lebron from getting to the finals, and given Bron’s track record of mushing Kobe head to head, I think it’s obvious how that plays out.

:roll:

Nah bro, they were not better off with Odom and Bynum than Kevin Garnett. That's absurd. Bynum barely even played in their title runs and when he did he averaged 6/4. Garnett being a high post guy is perfect, since Pau favors the low block, and of course Kobe could lurk outside. It would be like triangle peanut butter and jelly with every zone covered.

That's actually ban worthy to say you'd take Odom over prime Kevin Garnett.

ShawkFactory
02-26-2021, 02:16 PM
So basically Kobe ignored Garnett's pleas and requests to form a super team and told him to kick rocks. Not many left like that. *cough* *cough*

And then people got on his back for wanting to play with Luol Deng.

You really think that this is what happened?

You think Kobe enjoyed scoring 35 a game but losing? After previously winning 3 championships. He would have teamed up with Garnett in a heartbeat. Anyone in his position ever would have.

brownmamba00
02-26-2021, 02:52 PM
I think KG is the type of guy that acts gangsta around other ball players. Altho Kobe respected his game he didn't fukk with him like that.

Way different era too...star players didn't get on banana boats together...

Kobe's ego was sky high back then so he probably was like I don't give a shit where you go:lol

AirBonner
02-26-2021, 02:53 PM
I think KG is the type of guy that acts gangsta around other ball players. Altho Kobe respected his game he didn't fukk with him like that.

Way different era too...star players didn't get on banana boats together...

Kobe's ego was sky high back then so he probably was like I don't give a shit where you go:lol
Kobe literally wanted out of LA because of the losing. He cared

Airupthere
02-26-2021, 03:06 PM
If it comes, it comes. But Kobe would not go out of his way calling other superstars to recruit them.

dankok8
02-26-2021, 05:02 PM
Kobe + KG + Gasol... yea. They would have run off 3-4 straight easily. LOL at mentioning Odom who is a poor man's... no wait the poorest man's imaginable version of KG. And Bynum who wasn't even on the court half the time.

I remember at the time there were a lot of KG to Lakers rumors. Who knows what happened... If Kobe never got the messages or he didn't want to team up with KG for whatever reason.

Nowitness
02-26-2021, 08:40 PM
Couldn't win as the teams number one offensive option, doesn't surprise me his 3 choices in FA were LA with Kobe, the Suns with Nash, and the Celtics with Allen/Pierce.

Micku
02-26-2021, 10:24 PM
Kobe and KG would've been sick. I feel like they would've dominated the league for a while. Their games complemented each other too I think. KG shared that story plenty of times too.

iamgine
02-26-2021, 10:44 PM
If KG had gone to LA, wouldn't Boston then target Pau Gasol? PP/Ray/Gasol/Rondo would be pretty sick too, especially considering his younger age.