PDA

View Full Version : Doncic rookie card sells for $4.6 million; sets record for Basketball collectible

k0kakw0rld
03-02-2021, 01:17 PM
That is insane :biggums:

I'm curious about MJ and Kobe's rookie cards :lebronamazed:
Last time I checked, MJ highest card was like at 75 000$

https://zupimages.net/up/21/09/etm8.jpg (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=21/09/etm8.jpg)

rawimpact
03-02-2021, 01:35 PM
Nice way to launder money. I'll keep this in mind. I'll have to track down a Mutombo card and sell it to a holding in Congo for a ridiculous price.

dirkdiggler41
03-02-2021, 01:41 PM
Why do these cards cost so much, are they really rare? We have no tradition when it comes to NBA cards in my country

Real Men Wear Green
03-02-2021, 01:47 PM
This is a nuts outlier. Buyer must not care about money. A card is worth what someone will pay but Doncic's mother ain't giving you 4.6 mil for a picture.

MadDog
03-02-2021, 01:50 PM
I could understand a game-worn jersey or shoes, but a card? Makes me sick. Then again I have never collected or traded cards. Just never seemed interesting.

Overdrive
03-02-2021, 01:51 PM

https://zupimages.net/up/21/09/etm8.jpg (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=21/09/etm8.jpg)

There are no /5 autographed rookie cards for either. An autograph super scarce MJ rookie card would be unpayable when some base card that was produced some 10.000 times sells for 75.000$.

ralph_i_el
03-02-2021, 03:15 PM
It's the only version of that card ever made, and has a Luka autograph and piece of a game-worn jersey. Still, this shit is nuts.

Stuff like this is also a way to sort out money owed to people in black market industries. He might just be laundering money for whoever he bought that from.

Real Men Wear Green
03-02-2021, 03:38 PM
It's the only version of that card ever made, and has a Luka autograph and piece of a game-worn jersey. Still, this shit is nuts.

Stuff like this is also a way to sort out money owed to people in black market industries. He might just be laundering money for whoever he bought that from.That would make sense. Doncic is a great talent but a signed Bill Russell rookie card wouldn't get you this payday.

baudkarma
03-02-2021, 08:59 PM
This is a nuts outlier. Buyer must not care about money. A card is worth what someone will pay but Doncic's mother ain't giving you 4.6 mil for a picture.

The original buyer payed over $450,000 for the card, and people thought that THAT was an insane amount. Turns out it was actually a pretty shrewd investment, if the transaction went as advertised. Did the buyer pay $4.5 million for the card with the understanding that the seller would hand him back $2.5 million under the table? Now the seller has $2 million, way more that he would have made in a regular transaction, and the buyer only paid $2 million for a card that's "worth" over twice that.

Airupthere
03-02-2021, 09:02 PM
Does the card hold a ton of value in itself? Does it do anything? The price is really just a perception of how much someone is willing t pay for it. The card itself has little value.

HylianNightmare
03-02-2021, 09:40 PM
The white goat

light
03-02-2021, 09:54 PM
This is probably a sign of a bubble.

But sports memorabilia has been taking off for a few years now.

Top Shots for example - digital collectibles - LeBron's highlight dunk over Bjelica sold for a record $208k.

That might not seem like much compared to what rookie cards go for, but consider that it's just a video loop with a unique blockchain ID and someone bought it for $208,000.

light
03-02-2021, 10:09 PM

LeBron's rookie card had just set the record a few months ago at $1.8 million.

The fact that Luka's is so much higher gives me some cause for concern as an investor. This is probably a bad analogy, but it's like when an athlete obliterates olympic records with ease - it's considered a sign of doping.

Similarly, for Doncic's rookie card to obliterate the old record so soon may be the clearest sign of a bubble yet.

People have been warning that the sports card market is going to crash soon. Others remain bullish. We'll see.