PDA

View Full Version : Does Jayson Tatum kind of suck for a Max deal player?

ZionDunks
03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
I am a Celtics fan just gathering hopefully unbiased opinion here.

What’s your impression of Tatum?

Airupthere
03-02-2021, 09:39 PM
Yes. All about trying to be fancy and padding stats but does not linearly reflect value to team play.

Marchesk
03-02-2021, 09:43 PM
Better than Zion.

ZionDunks
03-02-2021, 09:51 PM
Better than Zion.

Zion isn’t on a max deal though.

Kblaze8855
03-02-2021, 09:51 PM
Last time I checked like 35 players were on a max contract. Meaning the answer is no. Many of them just don’t come to mind when you imagine max players. Those are the bad ones by this already high standard.

ZionDunks
03-02-2021, 09:53 PM
Last time I checked like 35 players were on a max contract. Meaning the answer is no. Many of them just don’t come to mind when you imagine max players. Those are the bad ones by this already high standard.

My opinion, and I am maybe biased, is he doesn’t get the recognition from NBA fans he deserves. But then I get to thinking maybe I don’t see him in the lens that others do.

To me - he’s on a trajectory of a Kobe 2.0 albeit poor man’s Kobe.

But I want to make sure I am gauging things correct.

Airupthere
03-02-2021, 10:07 PM
People overrate tatum’s ceiling. Believe me, we are close to it. Cant even run a proper pnr. Kobe ad a ceiling is a pipe dream. He’d be lucky to have paul george as ceiling.

light
03-02-2021, 10:12 PM
There are only very few players in the NBA that are actually worth a maximum deal.

Tatum isn't one of those players, but he benefits from a system where the greatest players aren't fairly compensated and so he is also a max player alongside them.

ZionDunks
03-02-2021, 10:28 PM
People overrate tatum’s ceiling. Believe me, we are close to it. Cant even run a proper pnr. Kobe ad a ceiling is a pipe dream. He’d be lucky to have paul george as ceiling.

I hear you, his passiveness if anything gets to me like tonight he disappears far too often.

But really smart people still say he’s a top 15 or 12 guy in circles

tontoz
03-02-2021, 10:32 PM
He is a good player, just not a top 10 player. No shame in that.

I think he takes too many tough, contested jumpers. At some point he may realize this and focus more on getting to the rim or finding other guys. That will help his game a lot.

AirBonner
03-02-2021, 10:34 PM
This his first season being the absolute focal point of the offense. Pierce struggled too

ZionDunks
03-02-2021, 10:38 PM
He is a good player, just not a top 10 player. No shame in that.

I think he takes too many tough, contested jumpers. At some point he may realize this and focus more on getting to the rim or finding other guys. That will help his game a lot.

Would love to see him attack more. Great post.

A lot of times it’s 1-2 slow crossover, step back

ZionDunks
03-02-2021, 10:43 PM
This his first season being the absolute focal point of the offense. Pierce struggled too
Great point

ralph_i_el
03-02-2021, 10:44 PM
Lots of guys are worth a max deal, like Kblaze said.

The problem is, 2-5 guys a year are worth WAY MORE than a max deal, and so if you have one of those guys you're getting a bunch of free production. MVP players are probably worth 40-100% more than a max deal. I remember reading a few years back that LeBron would be paid $50-60m a year based on his production at his peak (as opposed to the ~30m he was probably getting).

Wally450
03-02-2021, 11:27 PM

Not to mention, he's 22 (turning 23 tomorrow.)

Why are there these crazy expectations for a player that's still so young?

Most players don't reach their peak until they're 26-27. He has plenty of time to get better than he already is.

tontoz
03-02-2021, 11:34 PM
Not to mention, he's 22 (turning 23 tomorrow.)

Why are there these crazy expectations for a player that's still so young?

Most players don't reach their peak until they're 26-27. He has plenty of time to get better than he already is.

Look how much Beal has improved since his fourth season. He looks like a completely different player.

I was listening to Scal (Zach Lowe podcast I think) and he was saying that Boston is one of the worst passing teams in the league. That leads them to taking a lot of tough shots

If Kemba starts to show a pulse that will make a big difference for them.

KKittles30
03-03-2021, 01:00 AM
All I know is Tatum started to suck more and play more lazy and take endless more bad shots as soon as he started growing his hair out ..Might be time for a haircut.

ZionDunks
03-03-2021, 01:16 AM
All I know is Tatum started to suck more and play more lazy and take endless more bad shots as soon as he started growing his hair out ..Might be time for a haircut.

Long hair Tatum always slumps

ZionDunks
03-03-2021, 01:34 AM
LeDuckfoot may never win a real ring. Garbage roster I think

rawimpact
03-03-2021, 10:24 AM
He reminds me a lot of Demar Derozan. He is extremely gifted and has all the potential but just doesn't have that extra gear to be a top 5 to 10 player in this league.

Hope I'm wrong but so far year after year his potential ceiling is dropping. That said, he was a #3 pick, the two above were Fultz and Lonzo which he is significantly better.

That 2017 Class was complete ass, Jayson was really the only two big ones to come out of the top 10 picks. There were some good sleepers though like Bam at 14, Donovan Mitchell at 13 Jarrett Allen at 22

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2017.html

AirBonner
03-03-2021, 12:04 PM
He reminds me a lot of Demar Derozan. He is extremely gifted and has all the potential but just doesn't have that extra gear to be a top 5 to 10 player in this league.

Hope I'm wrong but so far year after year his potential ceiling is dropping. That said, he was a #3 pick, the two above were Fultz and Lonzo which he is significantly better.

That 2017 Class was complete ass, Jayson was really the only two big ones to come out of the top 10 picks. There were some good sleepers though like Bam at 14, Donovan Mitchell at 13 Jarrett Allen at 22

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2017.html

He has made a jump every year. Yet you say his ceiling is dropping simultaneously lol