PDA

View Full Version : Jokic joins Wilt Chamberlain as only centers with 50 triple-doubles. (The Real MVP)

k0kakw0rld
03-03-2021, 04:18 AM
nikola jokic continues to build an mvp case by doing things that no center has done since wilt chamberlain.

On tuesday, jokic collected the 50th triple-double of his career with 37 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds to help the denver nuggets rout the bucks 128-97 at milwaukee's fiserv forum.

Jokic's latest milestone put him in rarefied company for big men. He became only the second center ever to reach 50 career triple-doubles, according to espn stats and info research, joining chamberlain, who had 78. Jokic is also just the ninth player in history to record 50 triple-doubles, and only magic johnson and oscar robertson did it faster than him, according to elias sports bureau.

"it's nice, of course," jokic said of doing something only chamberlain has done among centers in the history of the game. "it is something that [for] my legacy to put behind me. It's cool just to be in that group of guys, especially with one of the best players to ever play the game. Just a nice accomplishment."

jokic entered the game averaging career highs in points (27.1), rebounds (11.0), assists (8.5), 3-point field goal shooting rate (41.1%) and free throw shooting rate (88.2%) this season.

He has nine triple-doubles this campaign and has missed another six triple-doubles by either one assist or one rebound.

"he's only 25 years old, which is amazing," denver coach michael malone said. "nikola has 50 career triple-doubles, but he also has 20 games [in his career] where he missed a triple-double by either one rebound or one assist. It just speaks to his greatness. The guy doesn't get fatigued; he doesn't get tired."

jokic made 15 of 23 shots to help snap milwaukee's five-game winning streak. Besides reaching the triple-doubles milestone, jokic's average of 8.5 assists is something no center has done in a season since chamberlain, who is the only center to have ever led the league in total assists.

One area jokic can't keep up with chamberlain in is dunks, but he is on a personal-best pace. Jokic dunked three times against the bucks and has 20 slams on the season. He has never dunked more than 23 times in a season, which happened during 2016-17, his second season in the league.

"he has been a dunking machine as of late," said malone, who kidded that jokic should try to enter this weekend's all-star dunk contest. "we joke about it, but it really does speak to his overall conditioning, staying in great shape and being disciplined.

"most people are emotional eaters, right?" malone said. "if you have any reason to overeat, it's this season. It's been crazy. Can't leave the hotel; get tested three times a day. But nikola has laser focus and discipline. He has been just a machine for us. And for him to attack the basket, dunk and hang on the rim as much as he has this year is really fun to watch."

Best in the World

Akeem34TheDream
03-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Jokic is just ridiculous. If Nuggets make top 4 in the conference he will be the MVP imo.

tontoz
03-03-2021, 09:49 AM
Becoming more aggressive looking for his shot and losing weight have taken his game to another level.

In his last two games he has 72 pts, 24 rebounds and 20 assists shooting over 60% from the field. :bowdown:

bizil
03-03-2021, 01:40 PM
The Joker flat out is headed for top 10 peak status ALL TIME at the center position. I like too see guys string together 4-5 superstar caliber seasons before you give them that status. But he's LITERALLY the Larry Bird of the center position. He and Embid SAVED the center position. They showed u can have the new school perimeter tricks. BUT they have old school center interior intangibles as well. And they are true centers. Not a PF-C type like AD. What a healthy Sabonis should have been (Sabonis a bit taller and more athletic pre-injury) is what we are seeing with Joker!

k0kakw0rld
03-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Becoming more aggressive looking for his shot and losing weight have taken his game to another level.

In his last two games he has 72 pts, 24 rebounds and 20 assists shooting over 60% from the field. :bowdown:
He is just ridiculous. He doesn't bully you with physical abilities. He just outsmarts you with his IQ and craftiness. He is unbelievable and the best player in the league period.

HBK_Kliq_2
03-03-2021, 02:27 PM
His numbers are jaw dropping this season.

12 BPM, 32% win share per 48, 32 PER, 132 offensive rating.

Pretty much the GOAT offensive regular season. I think a lot of it has to do with him not having any stars on his team, so he has to carry. Still a godlike offensive season.

Back In Shape
03-03-2021, 02:33 PM

Pretty much the GOAT offensive regular season. I think a lot of it has to do with him not having any stars on his team, so he has to carry. Still a godlike offensive season.

Joker's offensive contribution is just stupid. On a tier that only Curry and Lebron can compete with but above them atm. I don't know if it's enough to put him ahead of Embiid's DPOY defense and elite offensive combo though.

k0kakw0rld
03-03-2021, 02:37 PM

He plays next to a guy who scored 50 points more than once in their last playoff run. Murray is an all-star, borderline star.

HBK_Kliq_2
03-03-2021, 02:39 PM
He plays next to a guy who scored 50 points more than once in their last playoff run. Murray is an all-star, borderline star.

Why are non american whites so good at basketball (luka, jokic).

But American whites suck at basketball? very strange to me. They get the ball more in their countries and gain confidence i guess.

k0kakw0rld
03-03-2021, 02:45 PM

But American whites suck at basketball? very strange to me. They get the ball more in their countries and gain confidence i guess.
Because like Doncic, Rubio for example, they get to play with grown men as teenagers. We are also seeing it with LaMelo Ball, before entering the NBA.

tontoz
03-03-2021, 02:59 PM
Because like Doncic, Rubio for example, they get to play with grown men as teenagers. We are also seeing it with LaMelo Ball, before entering the NBA.

Also the Euros dont go through the AAU circuit so they are more team oriented.

RRR3
03-03-2021, 03:44 PM
He is just ridiculous. He doesn't bully you with physical abilities. He just outsmarts you with his IQ and craftiness. He is unbelievable and the best player in the league period.
Strength is part of physical ability lol. He’s strong af, he bullies people in the post.

bizil
03-03-2021, 05:08 PM

That and they play against grown ass men when they are teenagers in the pros. BUT it also has to do with culture over here in the states. Stern created a PHENOMENAL marketing machine in the 80's. It set the standard over in the states for team sports. A huge part of that was how he emphasized players with a flashy and fan friendly style that can get casuals. Guys like Magic, Bird, MJ, Zeke, Chuck, and Nique.

As fundamental as Bird was, he was one of the flashiest passers to EVER PLAY! He would try HORSE type shots in game. And the three ball was a new and exciting weapon at the time that HE put on the map!! And his exploits at the All Star Weekend 3 point shootout were hella exciting! So Bird TOO had the flash in his own way to market the game!!

As time went on, the And 1 generation came. Which was the guys like AI, Kobe, T Mac, etc. So I think many American white guys WHO COULD have been stars in the league ended up choosing different sports in high school to focus on. BECAUSE they thought that was their best shot to go pro one day. They shouldn't have thought like that though. Marketing is ONE THING!! Actual results is another!

NOT SAYING they were all scared. But some of them may have ACTUALLY become intimidated. And didn't believe in themselves. Others WEREN'T scared. Just thought they could go pro EASIER in football, baseball, etc. And they still may have played hoops in HS, BUT they didn't focus on it as much. Hell some parents may have intervened and ENCOURAGED them to move away from hoops due to how the game was marketed. The marketing was REALLY focusing on the hops, fancy dimes, and handles BIG TIME! And there's NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! You gotta do those things to grow your fanbase.

FultzNationRISE
03-03-2021, 05:29 PM
COMFORTABLY in second place on the current MVP ranking after LeHerc.