PDA

View Full Version : How do you think Kareem would handle prime Shaq if he had played against him.

coastalmarker99
03-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Would prime's Shaq's strength and weight advantage be a nightmare for Kareem who really struggled to deal defensively with the other physical centre's of that era such as Moses who owned him in the 1981 playoffs and 1983 playoffs on the boards and inside the paint?

Consider this: Moses Malone and Kareem faced off 41 times, including the playoffs. Moses totally shut down Jabbar, especially with his total domination of Kareem in the playoffs, when he went 28.1/17.9 to Kareem's 24.9/11.4.

Malone's Rockets and Sixers went 6-1 against Jabaar's Lakers in their careers, in the playoffs and he pulled off one of the greatest upsets in 1981 when both Magic and Kareem choked as defending champions against a Rockets team that went 40 and 42 that season.

https://stathead.com/basketball/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1=abdulka01&player_id2=malonmo01

Now, you have to ask...what could Moses Malone do better, skill-wise, than Shaq? A: Nothing, as far as I know...(besides making free throws and offensive rebounding).

So I think Shaq would have a clear advantage in this matchup as he is far too strong and quick for his size and weight for Kareem even in his prime to handle so Kareem might deal with a lot of foul trouble as many other center's did when they faced Shaq.

coastalmarker99
03-04-2021, 07:44 PM
The more I watch prime Shaq I think that no one in Nba history besides Wilt with his height and incredible strength plus athleticism could guard him one on one successfully.

But even then I think that If Prime Shaq was allowed to play with the level of contact they allowed in 2000 (as opposed to 1967), he would utterly give Wilt nightmares. He had at least 50 lbs on him, probably more like 65, and guys just wouldn't jostle in the post with the same sort of aggression in Wilt's day (because it was called softer by the refs)

So it would be a big adjustment for Wilt to deal with Shaq's extreme love of physically in the post it might even overwhelm Wilt who could be in frequent foul trouble against Shaq. And as a result, he might have to back off against Shaq which would ensure that Shaq would go off for 30 and 15 against him.

Reggie43
03-04-2021, 07:51 PM
A younger Mutombo had success against him but was unfortunately obliterated in that one series as a 34 year old going against Shaq at his peak.

Thenameless
03-04-2021, 08:24 PM
Moses definitely dominated Kareem. I saw it too.

Having said that, the very best of Kareem was when he was younger and still more athletic. Kareem was very slight of build and would definitely get muscled by Moses or Shaq at any age, but the younger 71-76 version of Kareem would have been able to give it to them on the offensive side with his length and finesse. Moses would be difficult for Kareem for the whole game, but Shaq gets tired quickly and I think he'd either have to sit or Kareem would start to get the better of him as the game goes on.

HBK_Kliq_2
03-04-2021, 09:04 PM
What is Kareem about 230 lbs? That's cute, Shaq was pushing 400 lbs by 2002. Shaq would kill skinny Kareem but Shaq wouldn't be able to guard Kareem either, he would tell Horry or someone else to guard him. So they would both dominate each other because Shaq never really cared about man to man defense like that. I think Shaq's domination over Kareem would be more brutal though because he would just push him around and dunk on him constantly.

Reggie43
03-04-2021, 09:31 PM
What is Kareem about 230 lbs? That's cute, Shaq was pushing 400 lbs by 2002. Shaq would kill skinny Kareem but Shaq wouldn't be able to guard Kareem either, he would tell Horry or someone else to guard him. So they would both dominate each other because Shaq never really cared about man to man defense like that. I think Shaq's domination over Kareem would be more brutal though because he would just push him around and dunk on him constantly.

Except that Shaq absolutely cared about those individual matchups and was a very good man to man defender. Phil Jackson would always ask Shaq to guard the opposing power forward at the end games because while Horry was a smart defender he was always overmatched. Shaq would proceed to switch on the Duncans, Webbers, Wallace etc. What Shaq hated to do is leave the paint and guard the perimeter because he felt that paint protection was more important back then.

FultzNationRISE
03-04-2021, 10:33 PM
Kareem would handle Shaq by egging on Kobe, therefore Shaq would never see the ball.

FKAri
03-04-2021, 10:39 PM
The more I watch prime Shaq I think that no one in Nba history besides Wilt with his height and incredible strength plus athleticism could guard him one on one successfully.

But even then I think that If Prime Shaq was allowed to play with the level of contact they allowed in 2000 (as opposed to 1967), he would utterly give Wilt nightmares. He had at least 50 lbs on him, probably more like 65, and guys just wouldn't jostle in the post with the same sort of aggression in Wilt's day (because it was called softer by the refs)

So it would be a big adjustment for Wilt to deal with Shaq's extreme love of physically in the post it might even overwhelm Wilt who could be in frequent foul trouble against Shaq. And as a result, he might have to back off against Shaq which would ensure that Shaq would go off for 30 and 15 against him.

Cuz Wilt was skinny. Everyone was skinny in the 60s. Steroids in sports didn't take off until the late 80s.

warriorfan
03-04-2021, 10:43 PM
Cuz Wilt was skinny. Everyone was skinny in the 60s. Steroids in sports didn't take off until the late 80s.

The Steelers super bowl teams in the 70’s were using steroids.

HBK_Kliq_2
03-04-2021, 11:11 PM
Except that Shaq absolutely cared about those individual matchups and was a very good man to man defender. Phil Jackson would always ask Shaq to guard the opposing power forward at the end games because while Horry was a smart defender he was always overmatched. Shaq would proceed to switch on the Duncans, Webbers, Wallace etc. What Shaq hated to do is leave the paint and guard the perimeter because he felt that paint protection was more important back then.

He took zero responsibility in guarding Duncan in 2003 or 2004.

Reggie43
03-05-2021, 12:15 AM
He took zero responsibility in guarding Duncan in 2003 or 2004.

Probably because Shaq got old and never maintained his weight making him slower and less agile as he was entering the end of his prime.

RRR3
03-05-2021, 12:17 AM
A younger Mutombo had success against him but was unfortunately obliterated in that one series as a 34 year old going against Shaq at his peak.
Mutombo literally won DPOY that year he wasn’t exactly washed up.

Reggie43
03-05-2021, 12:25 AM
Mutombo literally won DPOY that year he wasn’t exactly washed up.

Deke was still good but he was quicker and more athletic in his younger days and would have been a better matchup against Shaq peak vs. peak.

julizaver
03-05-2021, 05:34 AM
Would prime's Shaq's strength and weight advantage be a nightmare for Kareem who really struggled to deal defensively with the other physical centre's of that era such as Moses who owned him in the 1981 playoffs and 1983 playoffs on the boards and inside the paint?

Consider this: Moses Malone and Kareem faced off 41 times, including the playoffs. Moses totally shut down Jabbar, especially with his total domination of Kareem in the playoffs, when he went 28.1/17.9 to Kareem's 24.9/11.4.

Malone's Rockets and Sixers went 6-1 against Jabaar's Lakers in their careers, in the playoffs and he pulled off one of the greatest upsets in 1981 when both Magic and Kareem choked as defending champions against a Rockets team that went 40 and 42 that season.

https://stathead.com/basketball/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1=abdulka01&player_id2=malonmo01

Now, you have to ask...what could Moses Malone do better, skill-wise, than Shaq? A: Nothing, as far as I know...(besides making free throws and offensive rebounding).

So I think Shaq would have a clear advantage in this matchup as he is far too strong and quick for his size and weight for Kareem even in his prime to handle so Kareem might deal with a lot of foul trouble as many other center's did when they faced Shaq.

Kareem would not able to handle Shaq - but he could outscore him. Kareem is not the best defender (not that he is not capable of, but he is more offense than defense). Young Shaq had some early troubles in his rookey year when facing the prime centers in the 90s. But then he bulked and got unstoppable by his second year. I wish Shaq was more dedicated to bball, but that is.

To stick again to Kareem vs Shaq - Kareem was very quick, got the height advantage, and while no match under the post he can jump also and will make some troubles for Shaqs baby hook. But I don't see Kareem guarding Shaq all day long one on one, they will be adjustments, help from teammates. And in the opposite site it will be like Kareem in Hakeem role in 1995 ... with the notion that prime Kareem is better than Hakeem.

julizaver
03-05-2021, 05:40 AM

Wilt is wildly considered the strongest player ever - while he can give some 50 pounds plus to Shaq, it is not like he is going to be moved like a doll by Shaq, Wilt is the worst possible opponent Shaq could face, because it will be a battle under the post, where Wilt dominated historically. I bet Shaq shooting 0.45 vs Wilt ...

coastalmarker99
03-05-2021, 05:55 AM
Wilt is wildly considered the strongest player ever - while he can give some 50 pounds plus to Shaq, it is not like he is going to be moved like a doll by Shaq, Wilt is the worst possible opponent Shaq could face, because it will be a battle under the post, where Wilt dominated historically. I bet Shaq shooting 0.45 vs Wilt ...

That is true and you have raised some fair points but I still believe Shaq would get his stats no matter the opponent he is facing would Wilt make life tough for Shaq yeah probably as he would try to wear him down over the full 48 minutes of the game by dominating the boards and also going at Shaq in the post as well.

One thing is for certain though and that is that it would have been far better if you made Shaq Wilt's main rival in the 1960s instead of Russell. As it would have been so much more entertaining seeing someone that could physically match Wilt and go toe to toe with him on both sides of the court as it would have forced him to go all out against Shaq instead of holding back as he did with Russell.

Micku
03-05-2021, 07:53 AM
I haven't watched enough prime/peak Kareem to really say. I watched some games of 77. Watched some games when he was with the Bucks. But it's been a minute, so I wann'a watch'em again.

I mostly watched 80s Kareem.

So, from what I seen, Shaq would get his. Kareem is length by bother Shaq when doing those baby jump hooks, but I don't think Kareem would really stop him when he decides to out muscle him and back him down. Now Kareem is strong, he has the skinny strength , but not strong enough to contain Shaq at least from what I seen and read. I seen few games between him and Moses, never seen him between Artis Gilmore, but seen him against Wilt. He has more lateral movement and motor when he was younger in his prime than 80s, where I mostly watched. Wilt played him very well, but I always felt that Kareem was better offensively later on in his career and was more polish. Shaq won't do as well as Wilt imo. Wilt had more quickness, could jump high, and was just more active. But Shaq would definitely be motivated

Kareem could take Shaq outside and i don't think he could really guard him with his post moves.

Shaq would definitely out muscle Kareem. And he could not guard Shaq either.

Whenever I talk to ppl who saw them both at their prime, that's they said to me. They wouldn't be able to stop each other. You could argue with Shaq's physical play, he could wear Kareem out. But I don't think he will, but I dunno. Like others said, Wilt has a better chance at slowing down Shaq. But Shaq's decent footwork and touch at the paint, he'll still get his. I don't think Wilt will get out muscle like Kareem would.

RogueBorg
03-05-2021, 10:05 AM
KAJ is the best center in NBA history, maybe the best player in NBA history and that includes prime Shaq. He's 11x All-Defensive Team and 4x led in shot blocks. He's a better defender than Shaq ever dreamed of being. His size and length would give Shaq problems. Yes, Shaq's strength would be challenging but let's flip it around, how in the hell is Shaq going to guard Kareem? Shaq was an ok defender but that's not going to cut it against a prime Jabbar. KAJ would eat him for lunch and s--- him out.

While I love Moses, the 80's version of Kareem was no where near his prime.

clipps
03-05-2021, 10:07 AM
Stop it. No one is stopping prime Shaq.

Chick Stern
03-05-2021, 11:54 AM
KAJ is the best center in NBA history, maybe the best player in NBA history and that includes prime Shaq. He's 11x All-Defensive Team and 4x led in shot blocks. He's a better defender than Shaq ever dreamed of being. His size and length would give Shaq problems. Yes, Shaq's strength would be challenging but let's flip it around, how in the hell is Shaq going to guard Kareem? Shaq was an ok defender but that's not going to cut it against a prime Jabbar. KAJ would eat him for lunch and s--- him out.

While I love Moses, the 80's version of Kareem was no where near his prime.

This.
In rebounding alone Kareem outplayed Shaq.
Shaq would have definitely got his, however,
Kareem would have dominated Shaq with footwork, offense and FTs.
Kareem would have known how to get to Shaq in the head.
He taught the youngin this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eri9mW56R6k

dankok8
03-05-2021, 12:17 PM
This thread has been made a few times before.

Kareem wouldn't stop Shaq. The physical mismatch is real and Shaq is too strong even for late 70's Kareem who was 260-270 lbs. However Shaq also wouldn't stop Kareem. It's not like he's going to block the skyhook and you couldn't really disrupt it without fouling him. Kareem was too crafty with that shot. Artis Gilmore was super strong and Kareem still shot the lights out against him. Both Kareem and Shaq would get their own offensively which is around 30 ppg on high efficiency. Kareem at his best was a better defender though. And even though it isn't a big factor but in crunch time Shaq will become a bit of a liability whereas Kareem is the most clutch big man ever.

I see peak Kareem as better than peak Shaq by a hair. Thus it's natural to think that he would be the better player.

The OP mentioned Moses but apart from rebounding Moses didn't exactly outplay Jabbar who was a much better passer and a much better defender. Basketball isn't a 1-on-1 game. And yes Kareem was 34 and 36 in those series facing a peak Moses. I'd say his 25/11/3 that he put up were rather great. The stories of those matchups are a bit overblown anyways considering that two didn't exclusively guard each other.