PDA

View Full Version : Mike Conley is an NBA All-Star, replacing Devin Booker

bison
03-05-2021, 09:42 PM
Booker out injured. The emergency option to the backup option got called up.

Utah has 3 all stars this season now. No excuses.

Link added: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=25378

Airupthere
03-05-2021, 09:43 PM
Finally!

Kiddlovesnets
03-05-2021, 09:45 PM
The vibe of 2015 Hawks all over again.

Axe
03-05-2021, 09:49 PM
The vibe of 2015 Hawks all over again.
:oldlol:

Bud and snyde must be on the same league

RRR3
03-05-2021, 09:59 PM
God damn 3 Allstars? If Toody doesn’t make the WCF, I’m gonna have to drop him below Myles Turner.

Im so nba'd out
03-05-2021, 10:31 PM
Over clarkson.... over schroder...over dejounte......bch pls

RRR3
03-05-2021, 10:32 PM
:facepalm

All time bad post.

Mr. Woke
03-05-2021, 11:10 PM
He doesn't deserve to be an All-Star over Trae.

Anyone who thinks that Mike is truly an AS is flat out delusional.

Xiao Yao You
03-05-2021, 11:16 PM
He doesn't deserve to be an All-Star over Trae.

Anyone who thinks that Mike is truly an AS is flat out delusional.

they are in different conferences first of all and many advanced stats say Conley deserves it over most players. He's also arguably been the MVP of the best team and certainly one of their two most important players.

Mr. Woke
03-05-2021, 11:18 PM
they are in different conferences first of all and many advanced stats say Conley deserves it over most players. He's also arguably been the MVP of the best team and certainly one of their two most important players.

Donovan and Rudy are both better than him lol.

Trae doesn't have the luxury of playing with two other All-Stars.

Conley is not on Trae's level.

However, I get that you are a biased Jazz fan.

Smoke117
03-06-2021, 12:11 AM

:facepalm

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2021, 12:37 AM
Donovan and Rudy are both better than him lol.

Trae doesn't have the luxury of playing with two other All-Stars.

Conley is not on Trae's level.

However, I get that you are a biased Jazz fan.

you're right Conley could never go 12-34!

Trae has the luxury of playing in the east but still is shooting 43% with 4 and half TO's a game. Win and than bitch.

I'm not biased. Trae will have many opportunities. Probably Conley's last chance and he deserves it. I'd rather the guys that deserve it make it over the guys with the hype and the lottery balls

SATAN
03-06-2021, 12:43 AM
I'd say Trae is better suited for an all star game due to his flashiness and just being an upcoming star with some hype. Good for Mike though.

JohnMax
03-06-2021, 03:09 AM
They replaced Durant with Sabonis and Davis with Booker. So Trae most likely wasn't even eligible to replace a Western conference player.

ZionDunks
03-06-2021, 03:55 AM
All that whining about booker being disrespected and he can’t even show up to his first all star game

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2021, 05:30 AM
They replaced Durant with Sabonis and Davis with Booker. So Trae most likely wasn't even eligible to replace a Western conference player.

he wasn't and the Hawks suck

TheGoatest
03-06-2021, 06:46 AM
1st time all-star in his 14th NBA season. Is that some sort of record?

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2021, 07:35 AM
Jorge Sierra: Only four players made their All-Star debut at an older age than Mike Conley this season: (https://*********.com/social/) Kyle Korver Anthony Mason Sam Cassell Nat Clifton pic.twitter.com/0uBMAabYp0
– via Twitter ********* (https://twitter.com/*********)

Mr. Woke
03-06-2021, 08:06 AM
he wasn't and the Hawks suck

The Hawks have been decimated by injuries, and Trae doesn't have two All-Stars to help him out.

At the end of the day, Trae is better than Conley.

Kblaze8855
03-06-2021, 08:42 AM
you're right Conley could never go 12-34!

Trae has the luxury of playing in the east but still is shooting 43% with 4 and half TO's a game. Win and than bitch.

I'm not biased. Trae will have many opportunities. Probably Conley's last chance and he deserves it. I'd rather the guys that deserve it make it over the guys with the hype and the lottery balls

Youre one of the most biased posters in ISH history outside the trolls. For a real person? A person I don’t find to be an idiot or any kind of a fool....you’re about as biased as it gets.

That said....I don’t mind a guy like Conley sneaking in now and then.

I hate the “It’s his last chance” argument because that kinda thing shouldn’t be a factor at all(especially when injury could mean it’s anyone’s last chance). But Conley isn’t like...the worst all star there ever was. And his team is having a great year even if he’s not one of their stars.

When Teague and Korver made it in 2015 nobody can say there’s no precedent for things like this. We are down to like the 3rd or 4th replacement. I remember one year it was reported Ben Gordon was sterns next pick if one more guy went down(Joe Johnson got the spot before him). You get deep into the replacements guys like Conley get more likely. This is exactly how Detlef and Chris Gatling made it in 97. And Okur made it the same way.

Bunch of guys don’t play some non traditional guys sneak in. Conley seems a good guy to me. Went from Odens tag along to his own long great career and helped a lot of good teams quietly. Good to see anyone come off the “Best non all star” lists too.

Those things shouldn’t be factors but it does make it nice to see him get the nod.

I generally approve of Mike Conley.

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2021, 08:42 AM
The Hawks have been decimated by injuries, and Trae doesn't have two All-Stars to help him out.

At the end of the day, Trae is better than Conley.

He's not actually better though. Conley is the main reason the Jazz have taken it up a notch this year with mostly the same cast. He plays both ends. He's efficient. He's a leader. He's led good teams. Trae puts up big numbers and has never won anything

Mr. Woke
03-06-2021, 08:49 AM
He's not actually better though. Conley is the main reason the Jazz have taken it up a notch this year with mostly the same cast. He plays both ends. He's efficient. He's a leader. He's led good teams. Trae puts up big numbers and has never won anything

Wrong. Mitchell and Gobert are the best players on the Jazz.

He isn't more of a leader or a better player than Trae. He is simply in a much better situation.

Trae is the superior player. Hopefully the Hawks will get him some more help in the future.

Manny98
03-06-2021, 08:49 AM
The best player on the Jazz:applause:, well deserved

Mr. Woke
03-06-2021, 08:51 AM
The best player on the Jazz:applause:, well deserved

Mitchell and Gobert are the best players on the Jazz.

Conley is the third best player on the Jazz lol.

k0kakw0rld
03-06-2021, 09:36 AM
DeRozan was the better choice.

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2021, 09:42 AM
Wrong. Mitchell and Gobert are the best players on the Jazz.

He isn't more of a leader or a better player than Trae. He is simply in a much better situation.

Trae is the superior player. Hopefully the Hawks will get him some more help in the future.

Conley and Gobert have been their best players by far. Mitchell scores points not always very efficiently, makes some plays for others and plays little D.

Trae plays one end of the court. Conley's defense is the main reason the Jazz are a lot better this year. Their defense wasn't good last year. You can compare Trae with Mitchell. Conley is better

Mr. Woke
03-06-2021, 10:54 AM
Conley and Gobert have been their best players by far. Mitchell scores points not always very efficiently, makes some plays for others and plays little D.

Trae plays one end of the court. Conley's defense is the main reason the Jazz are a lot better this year. Their defense wasn't good last year. You can compare Trae with Mitchell. Conley is better

You are delusional.

Trae and Mitchell are both better than Conley.

Tycriss
03-06-2021, 11:05 AM
All advanced statistics say no :
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/
https://www.bball-index.com/lebron-database/

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2021, 11:18 AM
You are delusional.

Trae and Mitchell are both better than Conley.

Conley's a winner that plays both ends. The other two put up big numbers at one end

wagexslave
03-06-2021, 09:55 PM
All that whining about booker being disrespected and he can’t even show up to his first all star game

2nd ASG. Book replaced Dame last season. But yeah it sucks, I was excited to see him play in the ASG and pop off now that he wouldn't be blinded by the first time experience. Also Book holds the all time record for the 3-point contest so I was interested to see if he could top his score.

I wouldn't call it whining though... it deserved to get talked about due to the fact that Zion got in over him despite having poor defense and losing record(which were the excuses everyone made for Book not getting in in the past) when Book improved his defense and is on one of the best teams in the league now.

LAmbruh
03-06-2021, 09:57 PM
another year, another all-star game only supporting 1 of a Lebron teams coming off championship

ralph_i_el
03-06-2021, 10:13 PM
Nobody seems to care that Conley takes care of the ball. His turnover rate is really low. He gets the Jazz into clean and consistent offense.

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2021, 10:31 PM
Nobody seems to care that Conley takes care of the ball. His turnover rate is really low. He gets the Jazz into clean and consistent offense.

and his D has been even better

insight
03-06-2021, 10:34 PM

They couldn't replace Booker with Trae due to being in a different conference. If that wasn't the case Trae would absolutely deserve the spot over Conley.
Trae is in year 3, and is a top 10 scorer and top 3 in assist. Conley has not done anything over 12 years to warrant all star consideration.
Conley is a good player, but more Jeff Teague level than Chris Paul level type of player.

insight
03-06-2021, 10:38 PM

Conley is a very good point care, makes smart reads and takes care of the ball. If you want to compare his turnover rate to Trae's you have to consider that Trae see more double teams than any guard in the league. Several teams are trapping him full court this year, Conley has never drawn that type of attention from defenses.

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2021, 10:42 PM
They couldn't replace Booker with Trae due to being in a different conference. If that wasn't the case Trae would absolutely deserve the spot over Conley.
Trae is in year 3, and is a top 10 scorer and top 3 in assist. Conley has not done anything over 12 years to warrant all star consideration.
Conley is a good player, but more Jeff Teague level than Chris Paul level type of player.

advanced stats say Conley has been one of the best in the league this year. To say he's done nothing in his career to warrant consideration is a stretch too. One of the best players on good Memphis teams. Trae is certainly one of the leaders in empty stats once again. 43% and 4 and half TO's a game. His team is under .500 in the lEast. He also got his coach fired!

Airupthere
03-06-2021, 11:44 PM
Conley is a very good point care, makes smart reads and takes care of the ball. If you want to compare his turnover rate to Trae's you have to consider that Trae see more double teams than any guard in the league. Several teams are trapping him full court this year, Conley has never drawn that type of attention from defenses.

One of my favorite pg’s all star and glad that he finally made it to all star.

insight
03-07-2021, 12:04 AM
advanced stats say Conley has been one of the best in the league this year. To say he's done nothing in his career to warrant consideration is a stretch too. One of the best players on good Memphis teams. Trae is certainly one of the leaders in empty stats once again. 43% and 4 and half TO's a game. His team is under .500 in the lEast. He also got his coach fired!

Conley is a very good player, I like him a lot. Last year he really struggled and it is good to see him showcase how good of a player he is. With that said, Trae is better and more all star worthy. If Trae was just an empty stat guy, opposing teams wouldn't be doing everything possible to keep the ball out of his hands. The hawks team has been crippled with injuries, if you think Conley would lead the hawks to a better record than Trae you are delusional. Utah doesn't even need Conley.

Xiao Yao You
03-07-2021, 12:24 AM
Conley is a very good player, I like him a lot. Last year he really struggled and it is good to see him showcase how good of a player he is. With that said, Trae is better and more all star worthy. If Trae was just an empty stat guy, opposing teams wouldn't be doing everything possible to keep the ball out of his hands. The hawks team has been crippled with injuries, if you think Conley would lead the hawks to a better record than Trae you are delusional. Utah doesn't even need Conley.

Conley has been one of their two best players maybe their best so yeah they need him. They'd be better than the Hawks without him. They wouldn't be the best team in the league. The Hawks would certainly be better defensively with Conley and considering how well him and Gobert have been together it's not hard to imagine him and Capela together

insight
03-07-2021, 12:36 AM
Conley has been one of their two best players maybe their best so yeah they need him. They'd be better than the Hawks without him. They wouldn't be the best team in the league. The Hawks would certainly be better defensively with Conley and considering how well him and Gobert have been together it's not hard to imagine him and Capela together

If he was the best players on Utah, he would already be in the All Star game. I,m happy he made it good for him and the Jazz but saying he is worthy over Trae is a huge stretch.
In fact nobody would complain one bit if D Fox or Ja Morrant replaced booker instead of Conley.

Xiao Yao You
03-07-2021, 02:01 AM
If he was the best players on Utah, he would already be in the All Star game. I,m happy he made it good for him and the Jazz but saying he is worthy over Trae is a huge stretch.
In fact nobody would complain one bit if D Fox or Ja Morrant replaced booker instead of Conley.

All star game isn't necessarily about the best players. Hayward made it over Utah's best player. Most people consider Mitchell Utah's best player despite advanced stats and those that know it's not all about points and highlites knowing better. It's about hype. Trae has the hype. Time will show rather he lives up to that hype. There will always be people complaining. Morant unlike Trae has already shown he can carry a young team. Fox is more like Trae. Good young player leading a bad team.

insight
03-07-2021, 03:00 AM
All star game isn't necessarily about the best players. Hayward made it over Utah's best player. Most people consider Mitchell Utah's best player despite advanced stats and those that know it's not all about points and highlites knowing better. It's about hype. Trae has the hype. Time will show rather he lives up to that hype. There will always be people complaining. Morant unlike Trae has already shown he can carry a young team. Fox is more like Trae. Good young player leading a bad team.

I agree the All Star game is mostly a popularity contest but I have watched a lot of Utah games and never came away thinking Conley is the best player. His advanced stats are great he is very efficient but he never sees double teams and opposing teams do not game plan to take him out of the game.
It's funny how you mention Trae not being able to carry a team, the same things were said about Booker the player Conley is replacing.

Xiao Yao You
03-07-2021, 03:43 AM
I agree the All Star game is mostly a popularity contest but I have watched a lot of Utah games and never came away thinking Conley is the best player. His advanced stats are great he is very efficient but he never sees double teams and opposing teams do not game plan to take him out of the game.
It's funny how you mention Trae not being able to carry a team, the same things were said about Booker the player Conley is replacing.

and Booker shouldn't have been in over Conley either. He's like Trae

k0kakw0rld
03-07-2021, 03:48 AM
One of my favorite pg’s all star and glad that he finally made it to all star.
It is not deserved.

Smoke117
03-07-2021, 05:33 AM

Yes, Trae Young is better. Comparing him to Mitchell is stupid. Trae is far more impactful.

ralph_i_el
03-07-2021, 10:37 AM

Utah is so much better with Conley playing well this year, vs when he played bad last year.

PeroAntic
03-08-2021, 08:36 AM
DeRozan was the better choice.

Came here to say this, Derozan is having a phenomenal year under everyone's radar. Unfortunately no matter what he does people still evaluate him through his playoff failures in the past.