PDA

View Full Version : Could any player in the 90’s stop the super point guards of the modern era?

AirBonner
03-11-2021, 12:30 AM
You got Steph, Trey, wall, CP3, Lilliard ect. LeBron seems to have stopped these point guards from taking over the league

Smoke117
03-11-2021, 12:36 AM
lol when did LeBron ever stop Trey Young and CP3? Bringing up Wall and the wizards is just hilarious as they were always medicore. Then you got Lillard who is playing with CJ McCollum while bran is playing with Anthony Davis...who is about 10 times better than McCollum. STFU.

tpols
03-11-2021, 12:36 AM
Chris Paul is probably the most 90s friendly player on that list, but the 3 pt shooting of some of these dudes would be so prolific and alien, defenses wouldn't quite know what to do. Nobody was pulling up from 35 feet in the 90s on any type of regular basis. That was definitely an extremely rare event. Defenders back then did not have to come out as far as they have to now which means the court is much wider for the offense today and defenders have to cover more ground.

Im so nba'd out
03-11-2021, 12:38 AM
Absolutely not....A jamal murray would rattle off 4 or 5 scoring titles....hell even a trey burke would terrorize that league...Just imagine if you plobbed off a Harden in the 90s.....Jordan literally wouldnt have won a single ring

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-11-2021, 12:44 AM
Chris Paul is probably the most 90s friendly player on that list, but the 3 pt shooting of some of these dudes would be so prolific and alien, defenses wouldn't quite know what to do. Nobody was pulling up from 35 feet in the 90s on any type of regular basis. That was definitely an extremely rare event. Defenders back then did not have to come out as far as they have to now which means the court is much wider for the offense today and defenders have to cover more ground.

Right, but it helps when defenses don't pick you up full court and cant put their hands on you.

A lot of these dudes would definitely be good in the 90s, and look foreign pulling up from 30... But you're naive if you think they don't take hits to their shooting percentage. From 2000-2004, those players would be seeing a significant decline in both open shots and field goal percent.

bison
03-11-2021, 12:47 AM
Without being handcuffed by 2021 rules? Absolutely.

RRR3
03-11-2021, 12:48 AM
Right, but it helps when defenses don't pick you up full court and cant put their hands on you.

A lot of these dudes would definitely be good in the 90s, and look foreign pulling up from 30... But you're naive if you think they don't take hits to their shooting percentage. From 2000-2004, those players would be seeing a significant decline in both open shots and field goal percent.
Some of these guys who are super efficient today would have been absolute brick artists from 98-04.

Bronbron23
03-11-2021, 12:52 AM
You got Steph, Trey, wall, CP3, Lilliard ect. LeBron seems to have stopped these point guards from taking over the league

Hahaha....when did little point gaurds ever dominate the league. It's always been bigger longer players that rule. That small ball shit was just shit talk. It's still 6'6 players and above mostly winning fmvp every year.

tpols
03-11-2021, 12:57 AM
Hahaha....when did little point gaurds ever dominate the league. It's always been bigger longer players that rule. That small ball shit was just shit talk. It's still 6'6 players and above mostly winning fmvp every year.

Chris Paul and Curry are top 5 all time point guards... MVP talents. You're underselling them. I don't know why guys like Wall are included in this list lmao. It's like one of those test questions which of these is not like the others.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-11-2021, 12:58 AM
Some of these guys who are super efficient today would have been absolute brick artists from 98-04.

Yup.

Smaller sample, but we see a disparity even now. From the regular-season to playoffs and that's with rules being lax. Introducing "Freedom of Movement" had to be one of the most unnecessary rules of all time.

tpols
03-11-2021, 01:03 AM
Yup.

Smaller sample, but we see a disparity even now. From the regular-season to playoffs, and that's with rules being lax. Introducing "Freedom of Movement" had to be one of the most unnecessary rules of all time.

The way I see it, it's like old school hockey. Where guys beat the shit out of each other... but they actually literally squared up and let them box it out. Imagine if the NBA let two guys do that at center court to settle a beef. :oldlol: It'd turn into the Malice at the Palace.

But Wayne Gretzky weighed 185 lbs. Same as Steph. He still wrecked his league because he had goons. Yes defenders can hang on you tighter but your offensive linemen could knock the crap out of them as well. Guys like Reggie or Stockton wouldn't have thrived in that era at that weight if they didn't have their goons laying the wood.

RRR3
03-11-2021, 01:07 AM
Yup.

Smaller sample, but we see a disparity even now. From the regular-season to playoffs and that's with rules being lax. Introducing "Freedom of Movement" had to be one of the most unnecessary rules of all time.
Silver is legitimately awful. He refuses to stop meddling with a product that was excellent when he took over for Stern.

Jasper
03-11-2021, 11:28 AM

I know a guy that was a super defensive player who played for the Bulls.

97 bulls
03-11-2021, 11:57 AM
Who's stopping these guys today? Lol.

Marchesk
03-11-2021, 12:16 PM
Westbrook would not have won an MVP in the 90s.

dankok8
03-11-2021, 12:48 PM
Depends under which rules. No one can stop anyone with the current rules... Under 90's rules a lot of current guys would have way worse stats. That's not a knock on them. That era was just more defensive.

Sulico
03-11-2021, 12:58 PM

I wouldn't call winning 1 out of 4 finals Lebron and Curry played "stopping".

Airupthere
03-11-2021, 01:02 PM
Like others say, under current rules no one can. There is so much freedom for the offensive player nowadays. Shooting is better and more offensive flexibility is exploited (ie, gather step that allows prevalent step back 3), and spacing is conducive for guards to thrive.

In the 90s, I am sure guards today will still do well but my guess is not to the same extent of dominance that others surmise. Physicality will always affect shooting percentages.

8Ball
03-11-2021, 01:03 PM

Scottie Pippen.

Gimmedarock
03-11-2021, 02:15 PM
I think the fun is imagining a modern player just dropped into the 90’s. Picture James Harden showing up and breaking ankles and putting up threes. Picture Curry shooting from just inside half court. 90’s guys would be lost.

Airupthere
03-11-2021, 02:18 PM
I think the fun is imagining a modern player just dropped into the 90’s. Picture James Harden showing up and breaking ankles and putting up threes. Picture Curry shooting from just inside half court. 90’s guys would be lost.

Perhaps, on a onetime event it would be interesting. But over the course of a season or a few years, I'm sure players would be able to learn and adjust defending someone like curry or harden. Still not easy but they would do a better job.

scuzzy
03-11-2021, 02:36 PM
Like others say, under current rules no one can. There is so much freedom for the offensive player nowadays. Shooting is better and more offensive flexibility is exploited (ie, gather step that allows prevalent step back 3), and spacing is conducive for guards to thrive.

In the 90s, I am sure guards today will still do well but my guess is not to the same extent of dominance that others surmise. Physicality will always affect shooting percentages. Mark Price's physicality? Good ole Craig Ehlo gonna really make Dame work huh

Would love to see even todays B-list babies Fox, Morant, Trae eat those 80's-90's twigs under illegal defense

Sexton blowing past Steve Kerr play after play after play trying to play "tight" at half court :oldlol:

1997 MVP candidates

#3: Hill 21, 9, 3
#4: Hardaway 20, 3, 8
#5: Rice 26, 4, 2

Found more memorable playoff moments from 20yo Luka getting scratched n clawed by Kawhi, George, Trez, Pat Bev in one playoff round than the entirety of those three above career's, combined

Charlie Sheen
03-11-2021, 02:45 PM
Mark Price's physicality? Good ole Craig Ehlo gonna really make Dame work huh

Would love to see even todays B-list babies Fox, Morant, Trae eat those 80's-90's twigs under illegal defense

Sexton blowing past Steve Kerr play after play after play trying to play "tight" at half court :oldlol:

1997 MVP candidates

#3: Hill 21, 9, 3
#4: Hardaway 20, 3, 8
#5: Rice 26, 4, 2

Found more memorable playoff moments from 20yo Luka getting scratched n clawed by Kawhi, George, Trez, Pat Bev in one playoff round than the entirety of those three above career's, combined

Last part is hyperbole. Timbug was giving the 91 lakers all they wanted in the playoffs that year.

scuzzy
03-11-2021, 03:05 PM
1997-03 NBA was on it's death bead with Iverson, Marbury, Jay Will mixtape circus tour . Teams picking up street legend Skip to my Lou because hey ****it you can dribble. Steve Francis and Crawford burning ankles and burning glass dick. JailBlazers, Palace, Sterns dress code. Pierce and Zbo throwing up signs, shouting out to Larry Hoover after games.

Thank god that 03 class resuscitated the league. NBA so depleted of talent it was handing out Team USA slots to high school kids.

Peak early 00

https://i.ibb.co/xKb59T6/eea51c075d8067b7f0e40399532ef0d3.jpg (https://ibb.co/JWTk6JH)
https://i.ibb.co/G29hxhS/SLAM-INSTAGRAM-57-CLIPS.jpg (https://ibb.co/Z8SZLZD)

scuzzy
03-11-2021, 03:23 PM
Last part is hyperbole. Timbug was giving the 91 lakers all they wanted in the playoffs that year.Didn't go much further than that tho did it? :confusedshrug:

2nd rnd
1st rnd
1st rnd
ECF (peak )
1st rnd
1st rnd
1st rnd

This was the usual resume of those inconsitant 90's hall of famers, it's true. Hyperbole would be saying that's it was in fault of Jordan's natural presence when reality is Bulls had little hand in the shortcomings of most. Stockton gets top 20 atg nods for 7 first round exits, paired 17 seasons with another top 20 atg. Yet trash bro Kyle Lowry is the one dancing with hardware. Just sayin'

Gimmedarock
03-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Lots of 90’s “greats” are trash. Look at top 20 scoring for a year and compare to today. In 2021, you got guys in the bottom 20 putting up 23 or 24 points a game. In 1992, bottom 20 was 19 ppg! Come on bruh. Averaging 18 or 19 is weak.

Micku
03-11-2021, 04:36 PM
Depends under which rules. No one can stop anyone with the current rules... Under 90's rules a lot of current guys would have way worse stats. That's not a knock on them. That era was just more defensive.

Yeah. It's not just that tho. The way they coached is different too. As soon as Curry or Dame would try that deep 3 and brick it, they'll get a ear full from the coach.

And the way the game was played is different. They didn't have as good spacing. And flopping wasn't as prevalent there. So, it was easier to protect the paint. Especially against big guys clogging the paint.

They would still be great for sure. They are superstars. But the % is definitely gonn'a drop and numbers overall.

But they could also revolutionize the league at the same time. The league at the time has never seen anyone shoot that well from 3pt land consistently like that deep. With regards of Curry and Dame. But what is underrated is that Kerr made Curry play more off the ball. With the different mindset of the coaches back then, it'll hinder their play and potential.

L.Kizzle
03-11-2021, 05:21 PM
Tim Hardaway Jr avg 18 PPG a few seasons ago.
Now just imagine what his dad would do in today's league ...

Smoke117
03-11-2021, 05:24 PM
Tim Hardaway Jr avg 18 PPG a few seasons ago.
Now just imagine what his dad would do in today's league ...

Killer crossover!

Bronbron23
03-11-2021, 06:11 PM
Chris Paul and Curry are top 5 all time point guards... MVP talents. You're underselling them. I don't know why guys like Wall are included in this list lmao. It's like one of those test questions which of these is not like the others.

Yeah wall definitely shouldn't be on that list and i like wall. I just don't understand what op is talking about. What super point gaurds? If they're so super how come they never win chips and fmvps? Steph is the only point gaurd that maybe classifies and even that is a stretch. He's so super that he's teams leader(draymond) and front office felt the need to immediately go out and get a better player after steph's choke job and not so super play in 16.

kawhileonard2
03-12-2021, 01:25 AM
Steph beat Lebron 3x while they both had equal teams.

Bronbron23
03-12-2021, 01:41 AM
Steph beat Lebron 3x while they both had equal teams.
No he didn't he beat him once and lost epically once. Once kd came it wasn't equal. Nice try though