PDA

View Full Version : NBA Officials concerned about too much 3-point shooting

eliteballer
03-16-2021, 12:17 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31027277/nba-insiders-say-all-3s-reaching-critical-mass

RRR3
03-16-2021, 12:26 AM
If Silver let them play perimeter defense, 3s would go down. Not hard.

Micku
03-16-2021, 12:31 AM

I dunno if that'll stop the attempts. Maybe the percentages.

They'll still shoot 3s. But driving to the paint will be a little harder. But it's beneficial to have 3pt shooters since it expands the spacing. And let yo superstars go to work.

Indian guy
03-16-2021, 01:20 AM

Not by any meaningful amount though. With physical D 3's may go down from the current average of 35 to maybe 32-33. The shot is simply too valuable for teams to not continue chucking 'em up.

I'm a huge proponent of Morey's idea of capping 3's, but it seems like an unpopular idea. Yet I've seen the same people propose lengthening the 3pt line/court or changing the distribution of points itself (counting 2's as 3's and 3's as 4's). As if that wouldn't render the entire statistical history of the league meaningless.

TheGoatest
03-16-2021, 01:22 AM
Prior to 1979 the game was dominated by big men, for obvious mathematical reasons. Then the league introduced the three-point line to balance the game out in favor of the guards, which was the 100% correct decision.
Now the 3 pointer is dominating the game and basketball needs to be balanced out in the opposite direction again.
I don't know what the solution for that is, whether it's making the 3-point line longer, eliminating the corner 3, expanding the court, making the rim smaller, whatever. But something needs to be done. This is getting ridiculous and at times comical - see the infamous Nuggets fast break situation a few games back.
I do have one suggestion that needs to be introduced to slightly nerf the 3, no matter what decision is made: If you're fouled on a 3-pointer, you get no more than 2 free throws.

BigShotBob
03-16-2021, 01:26 AM
Just revert the freedom of movement rules, bring back handchecking, eliminate defensive 3 seconds, and allow players to fight over screens.

The problem is that untalented teams have no reason not to chuck up more threes because they can't do anything else that's actually creative. It's out of desperation.

Attempts will go down when it's seen as a suboptimal shot. An artificial cap won't do the deed because teams should be allowed to shoot themselves out of a game or back into it if it came down to it.

light
03-16-2021, 01:36 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31027277/nba-insiders-say-all-3s-reaching-critical-mass

"For a growing number of NBA executives and coaches, the problem isn't that NBA offenses are wrong for firing up an average of 35 attempts per game from long distance. The problem is that they're right."

I don't see a problem.

So the old guys don't like the way the new game flows. They'll get used to it.

TheGoatest
03-16-2021, 01:43 AM
To those who are against the NBA doing anything about the current state of the 3 pointer, do you think that it was wrong for the league to go back to the regular 3 point line in 1997-98 after their brief experiment with a shortened 3 point line in the 3 seasons between 1994-95 and 1996-97? Or were they also "giving in to players who can't shoot" when they did that?

Xiao Yao You
03-16-2021, 01:49 AM
it took Utah leading the league for them to get concerned :lol

light
03-16-2021, 02:19 AM
To those who are against the NBA doing anything about the current state of the 3 pointer, do you think that it was wrong for the league to go back to the regular 3 point line in 1997-98 after their brief experiment with a shortened 3 point line in the 3 seasons between 1994-95 and 1996-97? Or were they also "giving in to players who can't shoot" when they did that?

The league reverted back to the original three point line in 1997-98 because the idea to shorten the line to increasing scoring didn't work. Scoring still declined with the shorter three point line.

In 1985 the league scoring average was 110.8.
By 1994 it had fallen to 101.5.

They tried to reverse this trend by shortening the three point line to help boost scoring, but scoring still declined.

By 1998 the league scoring average was 95.6.
In 1999 they hit rock bottom at 91.6.

In other words the shorter three point line distance didn't solve their problem so they went back to the original distance.

The issue today is an entirely different one. In fact the issue today is just a matter of taste.

k0kakw0rld
03-16-2021, 03:10 AM
If you shoot, you shoot. It doesn't matter the defense.

Walk on Water
03-16-2021, 04:13 AM
I wonder how a game would look today if they took away the 3 point line. Would players still be shooting long 3 point shots as often? Or do they shoot them simply because they are worth more? It almost seems like 3 point shots are easier to take because you don't have to drive to the rim.

Would be funny if they made 3 pointers worth 2 points and 2 pointers worth 3 points. Then we'd see way less.

LAL
03-16-2021, 04:21 AM
If you shoot, you shoot. It doesn't matter the defense.

You can alter shots with good defense, alter confidence of the shooter, even when he doesn't miss, it helps in the long run in many ways.

Not saying it's the "solution" or whatever, i would say let these kids shoot, there is no issue, it's evolution and stuff, it's just that more coaches simply should start forcing a zero tolerance policy on defensive end of things, especially individually, you don't have to be talented.. just the freaking EFFORT to begin with. Because i would.

k0kakw0rld
03-16-2021, 05:49 AM
I don't know what y'all are watching. In order for your team to play defense, your coach or coaching staff needs to have a defensive-minded mentality and defensive-minded players.

Nick Nurse is an example with the right roster he is often able to slow down stars.
Spoelstra is also another example - Miami Heat actually plays decent defense. They got a bulldog-like Jimmy and Bam inside.
The Celtics also have proved to be a great defensive team - Brad Stevens also has some tricks under his sleeves.

k0kakw0rld
03-16-2021, 05:51 AM
I wonder how a game would look today if they took away the 3 point line. Would players still be shooting long 3 point shots as often? Or do they shoot them simply because they are worth more? It almost seems like 3 point shots are easier to take because you don't have to drive to the rim.

Would be funny if they made 3 pointers worth 2 points and 2 pointers worth 3 points. Then we'd see way less.
You always go with the option that gives you more points, so 3s > 2s.

Gayfuk
03-16-2021, 06:24 AM
Because it's harder for them to rig games.

Bronbron23
03-16-2021, 07:49 AM
I dunno if that'll stop the attempts. Maybe the percentages.

They'll still shoot 3s. But driving to the paint will be a little harder. But it's beneficial to have 3pt shooters since it expands the spacing. And let yo superstars go to work.

Well one will lead to the other. Once percentage drop from physical perimeter defense being allowed it will make the 3 a little less valuable. It wouldn't drop crazy or anything but they'll definitely go down.

coin24
03-16-2021, 08:19 AM
The real reason they’re concerned is because the product is almost unwatchable and people are tuning out in record numbers..

Mr. Woke
03-16-2021, 08:34 AM
What a complete overreaction.

The product is way better than it was during the 90s/early 2000s.

Callystarr
03-16-2021, 09:53 AM
it took Utah leading the league for them to get concerned :lol

I was thinking the same thing lol

Bronbron23
03-16-2021, 11:11 AM

Right but numbers are way down and the leagues officials are even concerned about the state of the game. Meanwhile guys like you who are in denial about how bad the league is becoming would rather go down with the ship than admit there's a problem.

HoopsNY
03-16-2021, 01:11 PM
Right but numbers are way down and the leagues officials are even concerned about the state of the game. Meanwhile guys like you who are in denial about how bad the league is becoming would rather go down with the ship than admit there's a problem.

Yep. The quality of basketball is terrible. Imagine thinking running up and down the court trading three pointers is in anyway great basketball. And notice this has only really come into question now. Why wasn't this an essential topic in say - 2013? Simple, the game was fine then.

Airupthere
03-16-2021, 01:16 PM

The NBA will not be trying to please a small group of viewers such as yourself that share the same opinion. For others, chucking threes and face up basketball for wide open lanes most of the time is not the best basketball to follow.

Bronbron23
03-16-2021, 01:25 PM
Yep. The quality of basketball is terrible. Imagine thinking running up and down the court trading three pointers is in anyway great basketball. And notice this has only really come into question now. Why wasn't this an essential topic in say - 2013? Simple, the game was fine then.

Yeah man and im not saying go back to 90's ball where it was super slow and teams were shooting 7 threes a game. If anything implementing old school defense with this generation will help the game find a happy medium. It will be the best of both worlds.

TheGoatest
03-16-2021, 01:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing lol

Do either of you seriously think that the 2014-15 Utlanta Jawkzz have an actual chance of winning the championship this season?

ralph_i_el
03-16-2021, 01:46 PM
1. Call offensive fouls when the shooter jumps into the defender
2. Fouls on a 3-point shot should still only give you 2 free throws
3. Stop calling tiny incidental contact as fouls.

Mr. Woke
03-16-2021, 01:56 PM

The numbers are down because there are more options out there for consumers (ex: Netflix).

The modern NBA is more exciting to watch. Guys like you who are in denial about that and want to relive the 90s are pathetic.

Take off the nostalgia goggles.

Mr. Woke
03-16-2021, 01:57 PM

Imagine thinking that running up and down the court trading midrange shots is great basketball.

The 90s NBA was unwatchable.

Mr. Woke
03-16-2021, 01:59 PM
The NBA will not be trying to please a small group of viewers such as yourself that share the same opinion. For others, chucking threes and face up basketball for wide open lanes most of the time is not the best basketball to follow.

Watching players chuck midrange shots and back down other players in the post for 10-15 seconds is boring as hell.

90s ball was an eyesore.

HoopsNY
03-16-2021, 02:15 PM
Yeah man and im not saying go back to 90's ball where it was super slow and teams were shooting 7 threes a game. If anything implementing old school defense with this generation will help the game find a happy medium. It will be the best of both worlds.

90s ball was fine. It gets a bad rep mainly because of 1998 and 1999. 1999 was a lockout season where teams only played 50 games. Otherwise, the 90s were akin to the 2000s and the game as far as 2014.

The people who now complain about the 90s didn't talk shit in 2010 or 2011. The NBA in 2010 or 2011 was more similar to the 90s than it is to today's game.

HoopsNY
03-16-2021, 02:17 PM
Imagine thinking that running up and down the court trading midrange shots is great basketball.

The 90s NBA was unwatchable.

Nonsense. The game wasn't running up and down trading midrange shots. That was the era of the big man, slashing, midrange, pick n roll, etc. Teams would sometimes score with all 5 players touching the basketball with minimal bounces. There was real team play involved and much more defense...ya know, similar to basketball from 2000-2014.

Why don't complain about the NBA in 2000, or 2002, or 2010? Why do you pick the 90s when the game in the 2000s was almost the same?

Xiao Yao You
03-16-2021, 02:17 PM
Do either of you seriously think that the 2014-15 Utlanta Jawkzz have an actual chance of winning the championship this season?

not as currently constructed no

Mr. Woke
03-16-2021, 02:39 PM
Nonsense. The game wasn't running up and down trading midrange shots. That was the era of the big man, slashing, midrange, pick n roll, etc. Teams would sometimes score with all 5 players touching the basketball with minimal bounces. There was real team play involved and much more defense...ya know, similar to basketball from 2000-2014.

Why don't complain about the NBA in 2000, or 2002, or 2010? Why do you pick the 90s when the game in the 2000s was almost the same?

The modern NBA is more diverse than the NBA of previous eras.

In the modern NBA there are three point marksmen, talented big men, slashing dynamos, midrange ballers, pick and roll savants, etc.

There is real team play involved and the defense is also more sophisticated.

80s, 90s, and early 2000s ball doesn't stack up at all.

Micku
03-16-2021, 03:19 PM
Watching players chuck midrange shots and back down other players in the post for 10-15 seconds is boring as hell.

90s ball was an eyesore.

You say that, but weren't the 90s the best at getting the TV ratings? At least in the finals. Those numbers, domestically are still unsurpassed. Competing with the superbowl numbers?

https://i.stack.imgur.com/kTzmb.jpg

You could argue a few things tho, but there counter arguments as well.

1. There are different ways to watch the nba now. So ratings on tv numbers don't matter as much.

While this is true, especially nowadays. It doesn't explain how the Superbowl ratings are superior to what they were in the 90s when you could do the exact same thing.

2. MJ star power

You would have a point to say MJ draw the numbers. Many star players do as you see in the ratings. Magic did it before him. Bird probably did it before him too. But Hakeem vs Ewing or Shaq still draw numbers domestically more than half of the final ratings in the 10s.

I don't think 90s b-ball is unwatchable or anything. I think it's a mixture of things. Star power, rules, and play style. The game gott'a evolved to reach that sweet spot. I personally don't want to have a mid 00s play again. But I don't want the game to be a constant shoot out. I don't think it's correct to say that the 90s ball was unwatchable since it was the best the NBA has ever done domestically. It probably the peak in popularity domestically for the NBA, so how can it be unwatchable?

Subjectively, imo it wasn't the best b-ball to watch in the late 90s. But I think the league would want to reach to the peak and become even better than they are now. I'm sure we'll get there one day. But we are run by stars too. So you could argue that the styles don't really matter, but it's the stars. And the nba is probably more popular globally than it has ever been. I dunno about domestically. It seems like the peak was in the 90s.

JohnMax
03-16-2021, 03:23 PM
Notice some people said NBA was fine until 2014.

They just told on themselves.

They believe League went bad when Steph and Klay won a championship.

The dirty secret no one wants you to know about is shooting is genetic. Lighter skin blacks and non-blacks are better at it because they have lighter bone structure. Lighter bone structure also gives you other skills like using off hand to dribble, finish, or pass, soft hands to catch ball, turning around with both shoulders, footwork.

Its why Jokic and Anthony Davis are most skilled bigs currently in NBA.

It's why Doncic, Curry, Kyrie are most skilled guards currently in NBA.

All of them have lighter bone structure due to being non-black or mixed with non-blacks.

This holds true for NBA history too. Most skilled bigs and guards are Yao Ming, Sabonis, Vlade Divac, Tim Duncan, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (remember Curry comparisons, he's light skin just like Curry).

insight
03-16-2021, 05:45 PM

In the modern NBA there are three point marksmen, talented big men, slashing dynamos, midrange ballers, pick and roll savants, etc.

Vince Carter played in 3 different decades and says the exact opposite.

Bronbron23
03-16-2021, 06:08 PM
90s ball was fine. It gets a bad rep mainly because of 1998 and 1999. 1999 was a lockout season where teams only played 50 games. Otherwise, the 90s were akin to the 2000s and the game as far as 2014.

The people who now complain about the 90s didn't talk shit in 2010 or 2011. The NBA in 2010 or 2011 was more similar to the 90s than it is to today's game.

Yeah it was cool but they definitely didn't shoot enough threes. There is some validity to the more threes philosophy. The new rules combined with the high pace 3ball chuck fest has created a imperfect storm.

ZenMaster
03-16-2021, 08:45 PM
"For a growing number of NBA executives and coaches, the problem isn't that NBA offenses are wrong for firing up an average of 35 attempts per game from long distance. The problem is that they're right."

I don't see a problem.

So the old guys don't like the way the new game flows. They'll get used to it.

Maybe there's a bit more to it, maybe part of declining ratings is that people don't find the game as enjoyable to watch as they used to.

PeroAntic
03-16-2021, 08:48 PM
1. Call offensive fouls when the shooter jumps into the defender
2. Fouls on a 3-point shot should still only give you 2 free throws
3. Stop calling tiny incidental contact as fouls.

This

HoopsNY
03-17-2021, 09:49 PM

This makes no sense. The NBA in the 1995, or 2005, or 2010, had the same.

Talented big men? What were KG, Duncan, Shaq, Wallace, Webber, Dirk, Mcdyess, etc? Or Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Moses, Kareem, Daughtery, Zo?

Three point marksmen? So Reggie, Steve Kerr, Hodges, or Ray Allen don't count? I agree that Steph beats them all, but he's just one guy. The idea that there were no marksmen is just false. It's just that volume is up with relaxed perimeter rules.

Slashing dynamos? You mean like Nique, Isiah, MJ, Iverson, Wade, Kobe, or TMac?

Midrange ballers? Umm, name a better midrange player than MJ. And what were guys like Clyde or Kobe? TMac had no midrange game or wasn't a "midrange baller"? How about Iverson?

Pick and roll savants? Who mastered it better than Stockton and Malone?

So the 80s, 90s, 00s, and presumably right up to 2014 as I mentioned was inferior?

Great....now show me your top 10 list of All-Time.

If it includes anyone from the first 60 years of basketball, then you just lied to yourself.

Mr. Woke
03-17-2021, 09:59 PM
Vince Carter played in 3 different decades and says the exact opposite.

His opinion is not the end all be all.

Mr. Woke
03-17-2021, 10:00 PM
This makes no sense. The NBA in the 1995, or 2005, or 2010, had the same.

Talented big men? What were KG, Duncan, Shaq, Wallace, Webber, Dirk, Mcdyess, etc? Or Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Moses, Kareem, Daughtery, Zo?

Three point marksmen? So Reggie, Steve Kerr, Hodges, or Ray Allen don't count? I agree that Steph beats them all, but he's just one guy. The idea that there were no marksmen is just false. It's just that volume is up with relaxed perimeter rules.

Slashing dynamos? You mean like Nique, Isiah, MJ, Iverson, Wade, Kobe, or TMac?

Midrange ballers? Umm, name a better midrange player than MJ. And what were guys like Clyde or Kobe? TMac had no midrange game or wasn't a "midrange baller"? How about Iverson?

Pick and roll savants? Who mastered it better than Stockton and Malone?

So the 80s, 90s, 00s, and presumably right up to 2014 as I mentioned was inferior?

Great....now show me your top 10 list of All-Time.

If it includes anyone from the first 60 years of basketball, then you just lied to yourself.

The modern era has the best collection of talent in NBA history.

HoopsNY
03-17-2021, 10:02 PM

Give me your top 10 of all time. :lol

Derka
03-17-2021, 10:23 PM
Well the refs absolutely still gamble on the games they’re calling. It’s not even a question. Calling bullshit fouls is a lot less conspicuous when guys are driving to the hoop instead of bucking 40-50 3’s a game.

Gimmedarock
03-17-2021, 11:34 PM
Ignore the old heads. Game is fine. Crazy offensive skills on display every night. We’ve got a true team game with 5 offensive threats in the court and everyone with a green light. I know there are some bad games but overall, the quality is high.

3ball
03-18-2021, 12:29 AM
The goat 3-point shooter

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPunfWiwp8&t=04m16s

Walk on Water
03-18-2021, 02:41 AM

How can you say that? Name one player that is like Shaq. Name one that can play like Iverson. You had all kinds of superstars in the 90s. All kinds. Every team had stars in NBA Jam. It was a wild, wild league full of legends.

HoopsNY
03-18-2021, 09:01 AM
How can you say that? Name one player that is like Shaq. Name one that can play like Iverson. You had all kinds of superstars in the 90s. All kinds. Every team had stars in NBA Jam. It was a wild, wild league full of legends.

According to him, it's not just the 90s that sucked and does not compare to today. It's the 80s and the 2000s as well. And by virtue of knocking the 80s-00s, then that must include the 60s and 70s as well.

So basically the league was trash until about 2014. Or at the very least, the league was inferior. Anyone from the first 60 years of the league couldn't possibly hang with today's guys. The players in the last 6 years have eclipsed every era. Though somehow, LeBron started in 2003, KD in 2007, and Chris Paul in 2005. Magically that era sucked too, so those players were inferior as well, right?

Oh wait, they're still playing and still thriving in the post-2014 era. Cognitive dissonance is really a thing.

Gimmedarock
03-18-2021, 09:52 AM
I can’t argue what era has best players but it stands to reason that current players are more skilled because they learned from previous generations. Bron be GOAT because he takes from all the greats.

To me, the argument is whether current NBA is as entertaining as previous eras. That’s just a taste thing. To me, the modern rules and spacing give players a chance to show their skills better. Elimating all the wrestling of past eras is a good thing.

Bronbron23
03-18-2021, 10:45 AM
Ignore the old heads. Game is fine. Crazy offensive skills on display every night. We’ve got a true team game with 5 offensive threats in the court and everyone with a green light. I know there are some bad games but overall, the quality is high.

True team game? Man what in the f*ck are yall watching? There's more ball dominant systems than ever. Teams put the ball in their best players hand and run a thousand pic and rolls because with these rules it's unstoppable. It works so well because defenders can no longer bust through screens so you either have to switch which usually puts a slow big on a quick gaurd or you can double the ball which leaves the screener open for the shot.

Honestly when i hear people talk about this generations advanced offenses i don't know wtf they're talking about

3ball
03-18-2021, 11:02 AM
The NBA has taken "basketball" or sport out of the game (contested shooting)

Threes and layups is more of a technique, not a sport

It's not that there's no contested shot-making in today's game, but that's not what makes a team good anymore or gives them an advantage.

The no-spacing of previous eras required contested shot-making, while today's format allows excessive spacing and an easier shot allocation.. the truth is that Zion will never develop that feathery mid-range touch because he doesn't have to - today's game allows him to attack the rim like beating a dead horse.

So the real skill and heart of the game (contested shooting) has been minimized as a factor, and now it's more like a running back that just needs the speed to shoot that gap (spacing).. the real skill aspect of basketball has been minimized.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?491374-The-NBA-has-taken-quot-basketball-quot-or-sport-out-of-the-game-(contested-shooting)

rawimpact
03-18-2021, 11:08 AM
Take away 3 second violations in the key and defensive 3 seconds and you'll see bigs dominate once again. All it takes is a Shaq-like specimen to enter the ring and the dominos will fall.

Bronbron23
03-18-2021, 11:40 AM
The numbers are down because there are more options out there for consumers (ex: Netflix).

The modern NBA is more exciting to watch. Guys like you who are in denial about that and want to relive the 90s are pathetic.

Good try but no. This is a wack excuse that people like you like to use but it makes no sense. nba ratings have been dropping for awhile now. Actually after the 90's as tv subscribers increased tv ratinga for the nba decreaaed.

and if that's true how come it hasn't hurt the nfl in the same way?

Again guys like you would rather let the nba burn than admit there's a problem. It dosnt matter how many current and ex players talk about it. Experts and league officials talk about it. Your the one who knows better because of your countless hours of watching the game on your coach. Shit Jesus could come back with James Naismith and say something and your ass would still be in denial.

Enjoy your trash product buddy. If ratings keep dropping Pretty soon it looks like you'll be the only one doing so.

paksat
03-18-2021, 12:42 PM

something like 22 million people tuned into the all star game in 1992, something like 9 million tuned into it in 2004 ( the numbers are in that area without looking up the precise ones )

so how many tuned in to this years? You can't blame 2004 on social media and sports surge. Check mate you blatant troll, ban pls

paksat
03-18-2021, 12:46 PM
todays nba is so bad that you got players from the mid 2000's era absolutely lighting it up in chris paul

even old man carmelo is havin a giggle at these insta hoe excuses for nba players

Druckenmiller
03-18-2021, 05:34 PM
The modern game reminds me a lot of a mid-July AAU Bronze Bracket game: just a lot of running up and down the court as fast as you can and chucking the first open shot you see.

Yeah guys look really skilled, so did Yi when he was working out against a chair. The chair played more D that day than half the guys in the league right now.

Luka Doncic let the truth slip out when he said it's easier to score in the NBA. Obviously. That dude averaged 12 points per game his last year with Real Madrid and two years later scores 42 on the only team that pretends to have guys that know how to play defense. LaMelo Ball shot 28 percent from the field in Australia and mostly played like shit and ass, and is the leading contender for ROY a year later.

There has to be balance in any sport. When things get out of balance, people perceive it to be stupid. As they should.

The league is very much on the verge of being out of balance and there's really not a good answer besides changing the rules about what defenders can do on the perimeter, or change the math. Make the shot worth 2.5 points.

90sgoat
03-18-2021, 07:22 PM
People come up with all these weird suggestions, but it's pretty simple and the article explains it:

Can't touch guards -> pick and roll -> guard drives easily -> weak side has to rotate -> pass to weakside -> swing for open 3.

That's literally the one and only offensive tactic.

High pick and roll, force weak side rotation, pass to weak side, 3 point shot or swing.

Over and over and over.

Of course, you have some shooters who can do more, Curry, Dame, some others.

They would not be bothered if we allowed more defense and eliminated defensive 3 seconds.

Thats literally all you need.

Eliminate defensive 3 seconds
Allow accidental contact on drives
Eliminate moving screens

Xiao Yao You
03-20-2021, 09:27 PM
According to NBA.com’s official statistics, the Brooklyn Nets and Utah Jazz — both first-place teams — are the only teams so far with a non-corner three-point percentage above 39 percent. However, half of the league shoots the corner three-pointer at 39 percent or higher. Evidently, it’s a little bit easier. So will the league do something about it? “I expect that to happen,” Morey said. “…A corner three is basically the same as getting a rim shot, (https://www.radio.com/sports/nba/daryl-morey-expects-nba-to-eliminate-or-adjust-corner-threes) a medium-guarded rim shot, which is sort of insane when you factor in fouls and everything else. So yeah, it’s too big of a positive.”
– via radio.com (https://www.radio.com/sports/nba/daryl-morey-expects-nba-to-eliminate-or-adjust-corner-threes)

Daryl Morey: “I mean, I would be fine if we could reconstruct arenas, having the court be wider, push the line back and keep the corner three. (https://www.radio.com/sports/nba/daryl-morey-expects-nba-to-eliminate-or-adjust-corner-threes) Well, it’s just you’d have to change out arenas and… I mean, it would take like 25 years.”
– via radio.com (https://www.radio.com/sports/nba/daryl-morey-expects-nba-to-eliminate-or-adjust-corner-threes)

“A three-pointer is such a devastating shot, especially if it’s a high percentage shooter,” Morey said, adding that he thinks it may be creating a one-dimensional game. “I don’t think it’s less aesthetically pleasing, (https://www.radio.com/sports/nba/daryl-morey-expects-nba-to-eliminate-or-adjust-corner-threes) but I think as someone who’s really into games and winning in general… you can tell a game that’s not well-structured is when there’s only like one path to victory. Everyone knows it, and you know, we’re getting there in the NBA.”

Mr. Woke
03-20-2021, 09:32 PM

Embiid is more skilled than Shaq (not necessarily better though, but he is better than most 90s bigs). There are several guards who are similar to AI and/or better than he was (Curry, Harden, Dame, Kyrie for example).

You have all kinds of superstars nowadays. It is wild league full of legends.

Mr. Woke
03-20-2021, 09:33 PM
According to him, it's not just the 90s that sucked and does not compare to today. It's the 80s and the 2000s as well. And by virtue of knocking the 80s-00s, then that must include the 60s and 70s as well.

So basically the league was trash until about 2014. Or at the very least, the league was inferior. Anyone from the first 60 years of the league couldn't possibly hang with today's guys. The players in the last 6 years have eclipsed every era. Though somehow, LeBron started in 2003, KD in 2007, and Chris Paul in 2005. Magically that era sucked too, so those players were inferior as well, right?

Oh wait, they're still playing and still thriving in the post-2014 era. Cognitive dissonance is really a thing.

KD, LeBron, and CP3 are outliers. They would be amazing in any era.

Mr. Woke
03-20-2021, 09:35 PM
Good try but no. This is a wack excuse that people like you like to use but it makes no sense. nba ratings have been dropping for awhile now. Actually after the 90's as tv subscribers increased tv ratinga for the nba decreaaed.

and if that's true how come it hasn't hurt the nfl in the same way?

Again guys like you would rather let the nba burn than admit there's a problem. It dosnt matter how many current and ex players talk about it. Experts and league officials talk about it. Your the one who knows better because of your countless hours of watching the game on your coach. Shit Jesus could come back with James Naismith and say something and your ass would still be in denial.

Enjoy your trash product buddy. If ratings keep dropping Pretty soon it looks like you'll be the only one doing so.

Your justifications are wack as shit.

More Americans like football. That's just the reality of things.

IMO the product was trash before the modern era. Just because some folks don't like the current product, doesn't mean that it is bad. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Mr. Woke
03-20-2021, 09:36 PM
something like 22 million people tuned into the all star game in 1992, something like 9 million tuned into it in 2004 ( the numbers are in that area without looking up the precise ones )

so how many tuned in to this years? You can't blame 2004 on social media and sports surge. Check mate you blatant troll, ban pls

There are more options for consumers nowadays.

Checkmate, ya dumbass pinhead.

Mr. Woke
03-20-2021, 09:38 PM
todays nba is so bad that you got players from the mid 2000's era absolutely lighting it up in chris paul

even old man carmelo is havin a giggle at these insta hoe excuses for nba players

CP3 is an outlier. He would be great in any era.

Carmelo is not dominating lol.

Mr.GOAT2408
03-20-2021, 10:23 PM
Removing the freedom of movement and bringing back hand checking would be a great start

lol not even close :roll:

These kids are so clueless in transition and have skillsets that would have been obsolete in earlier periods

It's more "different" than anything else but definitely not better than what it used to be

And1AllDay
03-20-2021, 10:25 PM
Removing the freedom of movement and bringing back hand checking would be a great start

lol not even close :roll:

These kids are so clueless in transition and have skillsets that would have been obsolete in earlier periods

It's more "different" than anything else but definitely not better than what it used to be

kenneth griff you back?

https://i.postimg.cc/L6bm3DB4/Kennygriffy-wedding-day.jpg

Bronbron23
03-20-2021, 10:31 PM
Your justifications are wack as shit.

More Americans like football. That's just the reality of things.

IMO the product was trash before the modern era. Just because some folks don't like the current product, doesn't mean that it is bad. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Dude your an idiot. Of course more Americans like football that's irrelevant though. Their numbers haven't dropped as dramatically as the nba. If what you were saying was true about streaming services being the reason the nfl would see a similar drop.

And it's not about personal preference. The nba is manufacturing offense by restricting defense. This is to appeal to young casual viewers who don't really watch games anyway. They'll just catch the highlights and tweet something not clever. The nba turned off alot of it's viewing fan base for a generation who Don't watch games.

HoopsNY
03-20-2021, 10:41 PM
KD, LeBron, and CP3 are outliers. They would be amazing in any era.

And MJ isn't? Or Hakeem? Shaq? Duncan? Malone? Magic? Bird? Isiah? Reggie? GP? etc?

eliteballer
03-21-2021, 12:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc8a_nbVd64

Mauzah
03-21-2021, 07:20 PM
Embiid is more skilled than Shaq (not necessarily better though, but he is better than most 90s bigs). There are several guards who are similar to AI and/or better than he was (Curry, Harden, Dame, Kyrie for example).

You have all kinds of superstars nowadays. It is wild league full of legends.

Embiid is has all the tools but when comparing him to the 90's bigs Shaq, Hakeem, DRob, Ewing all ahead of him. He's in the top tiers of the Alonzo Mourning category which is no slight but he needs to prove he can lead a team deep into the playoffs.