PDA

View Full Version : Why did Kobe never use floaters?

PeroAntic
03-18-2021, 08:40 PM
For all the variety of his game, he didn't really have the floater game that many guards have today like D Rose and Kyrie. I think rose has figured out that getting in the outer paint between 3-8 feet and throwing the ball high is a very efficient shot which not many paint defenders can do anything about if the shooter is good. It doesn't really take a toll on the body either. So it increases efficiency and durability. Kobe should have really appropriated it in the later stages of his career when he couldn't jump anymore.

WhiteKyrie
03-18-2021, 09:12 PM
Why? He was 6’6 and had lethal pull up / mid range game plus a post game. Floater is a difficult shot, but for Kobe would’ve been entirely unnecessary given his size, length, athleticism and skill set.

LAL
03-18-2021, 09:19 PM
Game 6 2006 playoffs versus Phoenix Suns. End of regulation, all i know is that shit was hard.

WhiteKyrie
03-18-2021, 09:21 PM
Game 6 2006 playoffs versus Phoenix Suns. End of regulation, all i know is that shit was hard.

True. The euro step into the floater was clutch. And took tremendous amounts of touch. Kobe’s relative to his size, small hands definitely helped with his overall superior than most shooting prowess.

LAmbruh
03-18-2021, 09:23 PM
blowing 3-1 lead to Suns without Amare :(

LAL
03-18-2021, 09:24 PM
True. The euro step into the floater was clutch. And took tremendous amounts of touch. Kobe’s relative to his size, small hands definitely helped with his overall superior than most shooting prowess.

Spot on. And like you mentioned, he was 6'6.

LAL
03-18-2021, 09:25 PM

Shit happens, still 5/7.

ShawkFactory
03-18-2021, 09:25 PM
Why? He was 6’6 and had lethal pull up / mid range game plus a post game. Floater is a difficult shot, but for Kobe would’ve been entirely unnecessary given his size, length, athleticism and skill set.

Seriously. Floaters are for guys 6'2 and under to be able to get a shot off in the lane.

Trae Young and Tony Parker come to mind too.

WhiteKyrie
03-18-2021, 09:26 PM
Lakers shouldn’t have even been up in the series as a 7th seed vs a 2 seed. Next best player being Lamar Odom? Third best, Smush Parker? You can’t be serious. That’s a worse roster than anything LeBron ever had to endure. And Kobe had it in a way superior conference.

LAL
03-18-2021, 09:27 PM
Lakers shouldn’t have even been up in the series as a 7th seed vs a 2 seed. Next best player being Lamar Odom? Third best, Smush Parker? You can’t be serious. That’s a worse roster than anything LeBron ever had to endure. And Kobe had it in a way superior conference.

He's just ****ing around, or something.

LAmbruh
03-18-2021, 09:27 PM
Shit happens
true, happened the following year as well :(

LAL
03-18-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote the "5/7" too fool lol. Bronsexuals are shameless hypocrits.

LAmbruh
03-18-2021, 09:30 PM
missed the playoffs in 05, but eh Shaq's 3 fmvp doe

tpols
03-18-2021, 09:31 PM
Because if he was in the range guys like kyrie or tony parker were in to do a floater this would happen.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1a/28/67/1a2867add67d0b085d5ddd47ecf458ab.gif

And if he wasn't it'd be more effective to just pull up for a midrange J.

WhiteKyrie
03-18-2021, 09:33 PM
Yea against the team that should’ve been champs of it weren’t for some bogus ass suspensions. Not the aging vulture champs that curb stomped LeBron, Hughes, Big Z and Boobie Gibson.

2007 Lakers Playoffs:

Kobe 33 ppg
Odom 19 ppg
Kwame 9 ppg

2007 Suns Playoffs:

Amare 25 ppg
Nash 19 ppg and 13 apg
Marion 17 ppg
Barbosa 16 ppg

Major talent discrepancy there, no?

Indian guy
03-18-2021, 09:35 PM
Uhhh floaters are mostly for short guys, who lack the height and strength to go over or through defenders.

And Kobe did have a floater. He certainly used it more than any other wing around his size.

scuzzy
03-18-2021, 09:38 PM
Kobe did have a floater, but they were usually chalked up as lobs or cleaned up by Shaq/Gasol/Bynum/Malone/Odom/Dwight

officially coined Kobe Assists

PeroAntic
03-18-2021, 09:39 PM
Seriously. Floaters are for guys 6'2 and under to be able to get a shot off in the lane.

Trae Young and Tony Parker come to mind too.

Not true, look at how Doncic and Harden utlize it efficiently (even though Harden's is ugly af). There are even centers that use it (Brook Lopez?)

And the point is that Kobe in his later years when his athleticism was diminished could have prolonged his career by mastering it. Instead he started bricking threes at a historic rate.

WhiteKyrie
03-18-2021, 09:41 PM
Doncic and Harden don’t have NEAR the athleticism, in the air particularly, that Kobe had.

This is seriously one of the dumbest threads (for basketball reasons) I’ve ever seen on here.

It’s nonsensical.

LAmbruh
03-18-2021, 09:45 PM
Kobe did have a floater, but they were usually chalked up as lobs or cleaned up by Shaq/Gasol/Bynum/Malone/Odom/Dwight

officially coined Kobe Assists
Brick should get credited for those bunny rebounds. He practically padded those guys boards

PeroAntic
03-18-2021, 09:50 PM
Doncic and Harden don’t have NEAR the athleticism, in the air particularly, that Kobe had.

This is seriously one of the dumbest threads (for basketball reasons) I’ve ever seen on here.

It’s nonsensical.

Third time Im saying Im not talking about prime Kobe. Are you illiterate?

tpols
03-18-2021, 10:02 PM
Not true, look at how Doncic and Harden utlize it efficiently (even though Harden's is ugly af). There are even centers that use it (Brook Lopez?)

And the point is that Kobe in his later years when his athleticism was diminished could have prolonged his career by mastering it. Instead he started bricking threes at a historic rate.

Harden and Doncic are strong, fat, land based ball dominators. Obviously still great players, but they never had Kobe's spring or anything remotely close to resembling it. Harden can barely dunk. Kobe is one of the most creative dunkers of all time and was infinitely more athletic. Watching Luka or Harden dunk is like watching Larry Bird dunk. He barely gets his hands over the rim and it's just... plain. Kobe was closer to Vince Carter.

iamgine
03-18-2021, 10:03 PM
Could have, should have.

Kobe could have done a lot of things. Master floaters, master hook shot, playmake better, take paycut, not play too many minutes, use cars.

So could every other players.

AlternativeAcc.
03-18-2021, 10:06 PM
missed the playoffs in 05, but eh Shaq's 3 fmvp doe

I've been watching some old lakers games on YouTube recently

It's crazy how much better shaq was than Kobe. Like its not even as close as I remembered. Shaq was so much more dominant

bison
03-18-2021, 10:07 PM

The beautiful game. Honestly Kobe had the prettiest game in NBA history. Argue his value and efficiency but the man was Michaelangelo on the court.

WhiteKyrie
03-18-2021, 11:09 PM
The beautiful game. Honestly Kobe had the prettiest game in NBA history. Argue his value and efficiency but the man was Michaelangelo on the court.
Nah, Jordan was the innovator of the vast majority of that move set. And was even more athletic and finisher at the rim. Kobe’s close though and obviously had a sexy ass game. I actually think Kyrie is of that ilk too. Maybe even Dame.

72-10
03-19-2021, 11:12 PM
Kobe didn't have much of a floater's shooting touch most of his career. I'd say this was attributable to his relatively small hands given his precarious height; teardrops are one-handed when released in the air, and the shooter would need to alter their shooting form and the position of the ball in their hand in mid-air.

Shaquille O'Neal
03-20-2021, 02:59 AM
Could have, should have.

Kobe could have done a lot of things. use cars.

I see what you did there. Well done.

LAL
03-20-2021, 03:24 AM
Kobe didn't have much of a floater's shooting touch most of his career. I'd say this was attributable to his relatively small hands given his precarious height; teardrops are one-handed when released in the air, and the shooter would need to alter their shooting form and the position of the ball in their hand in mid-air.

So other players using floaters have large or larger hands or? He had plenty of control and touch lol.

LAL
03-20-2021, 03:25 AM
I see what you did there. Well done.

I hope you and your daughter crash and die one day. So i can say "well done".

MrFonzworth
03-20-2021, 03:29 AM
Didn't have the work ethic to practice them. This was explained very well in a chapter in TJ McConnell's book.

Reggie43
03-20-2021, 04:37 AM
Weird thread. Just because your fave player does it doesnt mean it is an essential move to have especially at the other positions. You could just use the pullup or do the runner in those situations which are equally as effective.

MoBe1Kanobi
03-20-2021, 12:04 PM
Tbh I'm the biggest Kobe fan, and even I know he didn't do it cause it wasn't part of the MJ player model pack he invested himself into developing... My personal game on the court is basically Kobe styled with a bunch of spam Tony Parker styled floaters.. like I literally annoy ppl with it, literally doing push floaters from like one step inside the highschool 3pt line and mastering it..

Mauzah
03-20-2021, 07:09 PM
He did have a floater except we called it a dunk back then. A slam dunk if you're really old.

Chick Stern
03-20-2021, 08:56 PM
He did not need them

He could swim from a very young age

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/03/13/42DF6A0F00000578-4751180-Solo_Kobe_seemed_to_have_the_entire_pool_for_himse lf-a-21_1501764862777.jpg

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BogusUnlinedAmericanblackvulture-small.gif

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
03-20-2021, 08:58 PM
If you can pull up and post up in the mid range while being one of the GOAT mid-range scorers, you don't need a ***** ass floater :oldlol:

eliteballer
03-20-2021, 09:23 PM
He used a lot of floaters 09-2011ish.

Mr.GOAT2408
03-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Wasn't really a need to but I'm sure in today's NBA he'd be incorporating a lot of the stuff they utilize today especially the stepback, he had it in his arsenal and was really good at the small sample we have of him using stepbacks, even had a big stepback 3 in the 2010 finals

Never understood the issue with this series considering the Suns had HCA, were way better (team had a lot of talent, Lakers was largely g-league talent), and it frankly never should have gotten there to begin with. It's the only 2 - 1 lead Kobe ever blew and it was a team you realistically expected a cast that bad to win 1 game at most even with someone as great as prime Kobe. LeBron blowing 3 2 - 1 lead with HCA in two of them and more than enough help to win but certainly not lose in 6 in the two series with HCA is much, much worse and you know it :lol

72-10
03-20-2021, 10:59 PM
If you can pull up and post up in the mid range while being one of the GOAT mid-range scorers, you don't need a ***** ass floater :oldlol:

it'd help throw the defense off

highwhey
03-20-2021, 11:13 PM

:roll: