PDA

View Full Version : Randle with 17 assists, WTF is going on?

Marchesk
03-19-2021, 12:33 AM
18/10/17

Lonzo had 17 assists other night. Bunch of players went for 40+ tonight.

SATAN
03-19-2021, 04:05 AM
Didn't Draymond Green have 17 recently too? I don't have much to add but am gonna bump this in hopes the thread gains traction. Wondering what people who keep saying this era sucks think of assist numbers like this from players you wouldn't really expect.

LAL
03-19-2021, 09:43 AM
Didn't Draymond Green have 17 recently too? I don't have much to add but am gonna bump this in hopes the thread gains traction. Wondering what people who keep saying this era sucks think of assist numbers like this from players you wouldn't really expect.

Three pointers and because they both have great vision. Simple.

Airupthere
03-19-2021, 10:12 AM
Greater than most players all time. We need to revise the goat list to exclude players pre 2010s

hiphopanonymous
03-19-2021, 10:26 AM
We have clumsy undersized PF's putting up insane numbers now - banning defense really is interesting do you guys like this kind of stuff, hate it, or don't care? Fascinating :oldlol:

insight
03-19-2021, 11:05 AM
It's a combination of things. Rules that favor offensive players combined with a condensed schedule, limited rosters due to Covid, No practice time because most teams are playing every other day or coming off a back to back. All that combined with no home court advantage because Covid fan limits you get all types of anomalies.
Randall is an average passer, I didn't watch the whole game but it looked like he was hitting alot of cutters and Orlando had no rim protection and bringing the ball up quite a bit which opened up the Knicks offense.

Chick Stern
03-19-2021, 11:29 AM
It's a combination of things. Rules that favor offensive players combined with a condensed schedule, limited rosters due to Covid, No practice time because most teams are playing every other day or coming off a back to back. All that combined with no home court advantage because Covid fan limits you get all types of anomalies.
Randall is an average passer, I didn't watch the whole game but it looked like he was hitting alot of cutters and Orlando had no rim protection and bringing the ball up quite a bit which opened up the Knicks offense.
Randall has pretty good passing skills. He is not elite tier, but he is effective.

pandiani17
03-19-2021, 11:38 AM
Randall has pretty good passing skills. He is not elite tier, but he is effective.

One thing is to be effective, but to dish out 17 assists is a different matter altogether.

theballerFKA Ace
03-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Randall is an average passer

Blasphemy. Randall has always been a good passer even in college. On the Lakers he was somewhat of a black hole because he knew if he passed the ball to Kobe, or one of the other young players it would result in a shot instantly jacked up, especially Clarkson. So all the players on the team except for Lonzo and DLo to some extent were looking for their own shot the instant the ball touched their hands. But even then you could tell he was a skilled passer when he wanted to be

Xiao Yao You
03-19-2021, 01:18 PM

There's still a home court advantage. Still have to travel. Still have to play at altitude in a couple places

light
03-19-2021, 06:25 PM
18/10/17

Lonzo had 17 assists other night. Bunch of players went for 40+ tonight.

Nothing is going on. The league assist average is 24.7 assists per game which is the same as in 1992-93.

In 1985 the league assist average was 26.3 - the highest average on record - so we have a ways to go before we start breaking new ground.

r0drig0lac
03-19-2021, 09:08 PM
Three pointers and because they both have great vision. Simple.

this

scuzzy
03-19-2021, 09:11 PM
Nothing is going on. The league assist average is 24.7 assists per game which is the same as in 1992-93.

In 1985 the league assist average was 26.3 - the highest average on record - so we have a ways to go before we start breaking new ground.
lmao

insight
03-19-2021, 10:27 PM
Blasphemy. Randall has always been a good passer even in college. On the Lakers he was somewhat of a black hole because he knew if he passed the ball to Kobe, or one of the other young players it would result in a shot instantly jacked up, especially Clarkson. So all the players on the team except for Lonzo and DLo to some extent were looking for their own shot the instant the ball touched their hands. But even then you could tell he was a skilled passer when he wanted to be

I say average because career wise he has average about 3 assist a game.
I can agree with good passer especially this season since he is averaging 6 a game. I like Randall, he deserved the All Star nod this year no question about it. But there is more to these crazy stats and individual performance that good players , 5 players had a triple doubles on the same night two separate times this week. That is never happened in the history of the game. Just like the bubble, I think some players are thriving under these conditions and others are underperforming.

FireDavidKahn
03-19-2021, 11:10 PM
The only way you can stop it is by watering down the talent in the league.

The talent in the league today dwarfs what it was in the past.

insight
03-19-2021, 11:28 PM
The only way you can stop it is by watering down the talent in the league.

The talent in the league today dwarfs what it was in the past.

How can you explain Luka having pretty decent numbers in Europe, and coming to the NBA and dominating from the start. Luka even said he thinks the NBA is easier than Europe due to spacing.
Look at LeMello Ball who struggled overseas and came to the NBA and dominated from the start.
Anthony Edwards is struggled in college and is pretty raw but managed to score 40 points, the youngest to ever do it. These players don't dwarf past talent, the league is just softer now.

FireDavidKahn
03-20-2021, 12:02 AM
How can you explain Luka having pretty decent numbers in Europe, and coming to the NBA and dominating from the start. Luka even said he thinks the NBA is easier than Europe due to spacing.
Look at LeMello Ball who struggled overseas and came to the NBA and dominated from the start.
Anthony Edwards is struggled in college and is pretty raw but managed to score 40 points, the youngest to ever do it. These players don't dwarf past talent, the league is just softer now.

It's harder to show off skill when the opponent gets the nonskill option of trying to hurt the opponent. That's why those leagues can't hang with the NBA. Only the players with skills make it to the NBA

light
03-20-2021, 04:58 AM
lmao

I don't know why you're laughing. There is nothing unusual happening in terms of assists league-wide.

Some individual players are getting a lot of assists because of their own effort but the league itself is not seeing a dramatic increase in assists.

In any case, every year there are new statistical curiosities that develop over stretches - it's mostly random and it doesn't have to mean anything.

scuzzy
03-20-2021, 05:01 AM
I don't know why you're laughing. There is nothing unusual happening in terms of assists league-wide.

Some individual players are getting a lot of assists because of their own effort but the league itself is not seeing a dramatic increase in assists.

In any case, every year there are new statistical curiosities that develop over stretches - it's mostly random and it doesn't have to mean anything.
relax, I was lul'd cus you bodied OP's agenda in one post :oldlol:

light
03-20-2021, 05:07 AM

Players are not free to be individuals in Euro basketball - their game is much more team oriented - that's why they cannot dominate individually like they do in the NBA. They are essentially not allowed to.

In the NBA a superstar can ball hog or basically do whatever the hell they want as the franchise player but in Europe that is not acceptable behavior.

It's basically about American individualism vs European collectivism. It's not just apparent in sports but the difference can be seen all throughout their society.