PDA

View Full Version : nba franchise exec's don't want buyouts that have players go to a star studded team

Jasper
04-01-2021, 07:25 PM
Not sure what the NBA can do about it ...
but saw it on ESPN

here it is : https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31177906/the-lakers-nets-nba-execs-pressing-buyout-changes

light
04-02-2021, 12:15 AM
Not sure what the NBA can do about it ...
but saw it on ESPN

here it is : https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31177906/the-lakers-nets-nba-execs-pressing-buyout-changes

The NBA doesn't want to do anything about it. Every time teams complain about this the NBA shows them data that proves that they're worried about nothing.

Real Men Wear Green
04-02-2021, 08:41 AM
They would have to illegalize buy-outs. They can't pass a rule forbidding players from signing with a team just because it's good.

EagleFang
04-02-2021, 08:43 AM
Players that agree to buyouts are ineligible for the remainder of the season.

Problem solved?

Kblaze8855
04-02-2021, 09:00 AM
If you don’t want someone on your team anymore and none of the teams that can claim then off waivers want them either nobody has any right to complain where they end up. It ****s up the league sure.....these players are soft and let years of idiot fans talking about rings get to them so they will do whatever it takes to win. Teams know that and release them anyway. Their decision.

EagleFang
04-02-2021, 09:04 AM
They were still paid.

If a player wants to sign somewhere else, only let them if their buyout is $1.

If they want their remaining 10 million dollars than they should shut up and take a seat in the crowd until next season.

rawimpact
04-02-2021, 09:26 AM
Make them only sign on to a lottery team that same season. Or make a strict buyout limit, like 50% of highest season payout is returned.

Real Men Wear Green
04-02-2021, 09:35 AM
They were still paid.

If a player wants to sign somewhere else, only let them if their buyout is $1.

If they want their remaining 10 million dollars than they should shut up and take a seat in the crowd until next season.
You do realize that teams are part of the buyout process, don't you? If a team chooses not to pay a guy to leave they don't have to buy them out. It saves them money. Cavs don't want to pay Andre Drummond his full salary when he's not part of their plans so they buy him out. They weren't even playing him and have had him sitting for a while now when they were trying to get a trade.

EagleFang
04-02-2021, 09:40 AM
You do realize that teams are part of the buyout process, don't you? If a team chooses not to pay a guy to leave they don't have to buy them out. It saves them money. Cavs don't want to pay Andre Drummond his full salary when he's not part of their plans so they buy him out. They weren't even playing him and have had him sitting for a while now when they were trying to get a trade.

But they usually get most of their money. Players rarely leave money on the table. I'm saying the NBA should become the NFL when it comes to cutting players. It should already be built into the contract they get nothing when they are cut if they want to go play the remainder of the season.

Uncle Drew
04-02-2021, 09:41 AM
Players get clowned for not winning a ring and then people get mad when said players chase rings, lol.

Real Men Wear Green
04-02-2021, 09:49 AM
But they usually get most of their money. Players rarely leave money on the table. I'm saying the NBA should become the NFL when it comes to cutting players. It should already be built into the contract they get nothing when they are cut if they want to go play the remainder of the season.
"Should?" Why? This is a business transaction. The teams are not being forced to buy the players out they are choosing to. When you use a word like "should" you are applying morality to a situation that has nothing to do with right and wrong. Cleveland decides they have no use for Drummond, don 't want to play him and when they finally decide to get rid of him he should have a fixed number set to his contract buy-out? Why? There's nothing immoral about what he had his agent negotiate.

Jasper
04-02-2021, 10:00 AM
Players that agree to buyouts are ineligible for the remainder of the season.

Problem solved?

nice

I remember a few years back at looking at salaries the Bucks were paying and spotted a player that had not played for them in like 5 years , and thought it was a misprint / then realized it was a buy out... they spread the paying out for like 5-6 years..
I feel for these franchises put in this situation.
I like the idea - you want a buy out - here is a dollar.

Kblaze8855
04-02-2021, 10:08 AM
I'm saying the NBA should become the NFL when it comes to cutting players.

No. They shouldn’t. Not that that would make fans happy either.

The NFL screws the players under “contract” all the time....the players make nothing relative to nba or mlb....usually suffer lifelong damage...and only play 3-4 years....

And fans still say they have it too good and need to shut up and play because they aren’t paid like normal people who don’t generate billions of dollars.

You can’t satisfy fans desire to see rich athletes lose some of that money or privilege so both sides should ignore it.

Its between the team and player. Player wants out and team doesn’t want them...they work it out. Where the player then goes is none of their business. Half the league would rather be elsewhere I’m sure. But they can’t...because they are under contract and don’t have the leverage. A guy who gets bought out obviously isn’t too desired by the team letting him go. If he were....he’d be playing or even if not....kept around.

You can’t buy yourself out. They make a deal. Don’t want them to go....keep them. It’s really not that hard. That’s all that’s keeping most players where they are.

BigShotBob
04-02-2021, 10:16 AM
Don't see a problem with it as it is. It just so happened that for Blake, Aldridge, and Drummond, it was a long time coming.

The Pistons front office admitted to riding Blake into the ground just to get swept in the first round of the playoffs at the 8th seed. After that they agreed to let him contend while he still had some semblance of his athleticism left.

Aldridge always had issues with San Antonio and he tried to make it work. When Pop saw that it wasn't going to work at all, they reached a deal to make him happy and contend.

Drummond was shut down because his contract was expensive and the Cavs acquired Jarret Allen. They didn't need him soaking up a roster spot.

Nothing that happened here was unfair to a small market. If these teams wanted them so bad, why didn't they recruit or trade for them? Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me. It'll be like being upset at a billionaire for eating at the same McDonald's as you so you want to ban them. Let contenders have the scraps that no other team wants.

Kiddlovesnets
04-02-2021, 11:13 AM
The system is fine the way it is.

rawimpact
04-02-2021, 11:13 AM
"Should?" Why? This is a business transaction. The teams are not being forced to buy the players out they are choosing to. When you use a word like "should" you are applying morality to a situation that has nothing to do with right and wrong. Cleveland decides they have no use for Drummond, don 't want to play him and when they finally decide to get rid of him he should have a fixed number set to his contract buy-out? Why? There's nothing immoral about what he had his agent negotiate.

It's not the team that decides if a player leaves or stays, it's the players performance. I mean there are guys that sit out or play like complete shit just to get traded (Rondo on the Mavs, Blake with Detroit). It works both ways... How many times have we seen issues with players DNP because of actions detrimental to team? Happens quite a bit...

LeFlopper
04-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Blame Lebron for all of this.....

Real Men Wear Green
04-02-2021, 12:27 PM
It's not the team that decides if a player leaves or stays, it's the players performance. I mean there are guys that sit out or play like complete shit just to get traded (Rondo on the Mavs, Blake with Detroit). It works both ways... How many times have we seen issues with players DNP because of actions detrimental to team? Happens quite a bit...Andre Drummond was averaging 17 and 13 when Cleveland decided to shut him down. Some players have sabotaged their team to get out of their situation but that's not the case most of the time. The main buy-out guys this season were Drummond, Aldridge and Griffin. You think Griffin was intentionally bad but we haven't heard that from anyone in Detroit and we've heard no such allegations regarding Aldridge and Drummond.

Of course that's all just me playing along. There is no validity to your original premise:
It's not the team that decides if a player leaves or stays, it's the players performance. No, it's the team that makes the decision that they are better off paying a guy a little less to leave than to have him stay around. You are arguing with a factual statement.

Xiao Yao You
04-02-2021, 12:45 PM

Doubt the Cavs are too worried about the money. More about losing more games

rawimpact
04-02-2021, 01:00 PM
Andre Drummond was averaging 17 and 13 when Cleveland decided to shut him down. Some players have sabotaged their team to get out of their situation but that's not the case most of the time. The main buy-out guys this season were Drummond, Aldridge and Griffin. You think Griffin was intentionally bad but we haven't heard that from anyone in Detroit and we've heard no such allegations regarding Aldridge and Drummond.

Of course that's all just me playing along. There is no validity to your original premise:No, it's the team that makes the decision that they are better off paying a guy a little less to leave than to have him stay around. You are arguing with a factual statement.

LOL What?

The guy hadnt dunked with a pistons uniform since 2019 and did so on his first game with the nets and yelled "I still got it" while running back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhHw-pKD7Mc

BigShotBob
04-02-2021, 01:04 PM
LOL What?

The guy hadnt dunked with a pistons uniform since 2019 and did so on his first game with the nets and yelled "I still got it" while running back.

He was injured all last year.

Xiao Yao You
04-02-2021, 01:06 PM
LOL What?

Pistons ran their 40 million dollar player into the ground though!

Real Men Wear Green
04-02-2021, 01:19 PM
LOL What?

He was playing hurt for them. He is now on a team where he's nowhere near being the focus of the defense. He can just finish off of Harden. Completely different situations.