PDA

View Full Version : I still think Curry is MVP

Walk on Water
04-10-2021, 03:18 AM
He's close to 50 40 and 90. He's the number one scorer right now in the Western Conference. He's got his team sitting in the 10th seed, so they can qualify to make the playoffs. He has no help. Wiggins is not enough. It's crazy how Curry doesn't even force 3s and teams double-team him, yet he still is by far the best 3 point shooter.

Last year the Warriors won like 12 games. I think they will be around 500 this year. Plus Curry has been playing hurt and is still scoring about 30 points per game. He doesn't have Bogut ad yet he's still getting shots off. Wiseman is not experienced. I mean Nico Manion is the backup point guard. They don't have anybody.

Even though the Warriors are struggling a bit due to inexperience, it doesn't change the fact that Curry is still putting up great stats. A bad year for Curry shooting wise is better than most could dream of.

If Curry gets them into the playoffs (whether it's 7 or 10 doesn't matter) he has to be given at least MVP consideration. He's leading the Western Conference in scoring and he's not forcing it either. But he can't do it all by himself. If the Warriors get in and beat the Jazz, you have to consider it. And I think he will beat them. This year is set up to be We Believe all over again.

RRR3
04-10-2021, 03:19 AM
And we still think you’re retarded.

pandiani17
04-10-2021, 04:28 AM
Yeah, he will win the MVP with his team as an 8th seed.:oldlol: Also, related to your last paragraph, post-season performances are not taken into account when it comes to the MVP trophy.

Axe
04-10-2021, 08:06 AM
No klay, no way.

TAZORAC
04-10-2021, 01:58 PM
So you think he should MVP and not even be in the playoffs?

Gohan
04-10-2021, 02:10 PM
I think iverson should of won mvp in 2005 but we don’t all get what we want op

highwhey
04-10-2021, 02:44 PM

:roll:

SouBeachTalents
04-10-2021, 02:48 PM
Curry leading this team to the 10th seed has been an incredible accomplishment. If he gets to 1-2 games under .500 he's the MVP imo

mehyaM24
04-10-2021, 03:19 PM
steph had a case earlier in the season, but he's dropped too many games at this point.

the warriors are garbage and draymond has fallen off a cliff. people thought gsw might've had another run in them, but they're going to need more than just klay.

Stanley Kobrick
04-10-2021, 03:38 PM
another long and lonely Saturday for Warriorfan_on_Welfare :(

Axe
04-11-2021, 04:39 AM
another long and lonely Saturday for Warriorfan_on_Welfare :(
It seems he got his adderall script filled once again :ohwell:

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 05:14 AM
Curry leading this team to the 10th seed has been an incredible accomplishment. If he gets to 1-2 games under .500 he's the MVP imo

What Curry is doing is amazing. Still I'd be a little disappointed if he didn't reach a 0.525 record or 38 wins for this season which is looking out of reach. If he did I think there is at least a theoretical argument based on the historically unprecedented nature of leading a bottom team to such a record to award him the MVP although realistic chances for that actually happening are still nil. I'd be very disappointed if he didn't reach 33 wins. That tailbone injury that prevented him from playing more games really sucks.

Axe
04-11-2021, 05:27 AM
What Curry is doing is amazing. Still I'd be a little disappointed if he didn't reach a 0.525 record or 38 wins for this season which is looking out of reach. If he did I think there is at least a theoretical argument based on the historically unprecedented nature of leading a bottom team to such a record to award him the MVP although realistic chances for that actually happening are still nil. I'd be very disappointed if he didn't reach 33 wins. That tailbone injury that prevented him from playing more games really sucks.
8th seed is the best they could get if all goes well for his team, since nobody expects the warriors to make a finals trip without the services of klay anyway.

tanibanana
04-11-2021, 05:40 AM
Nope... this year MVP award is going to a center; Jokic or Embiid.
Although Curry is still arguably the best point guard (Curry, Lillard, Paul).

Mr.GOAT2408
04-11-2021, 06:03 AM
Nah, he merits a vote but he's definitely not in strong consideration for the award at this point

Bronbron23
04-11-2021, 09:40 AM

It's no excuse. Other players have taken teams as bad or worse further. All you guys see is one part of the game which is scoring. Players like bron have steph's scoring impact but also impact the game everywhere else. This is why bron can take a shit team much further than steph.

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 10:03 AM
It's no excuse. Other players have taken teams as bad or worse further. All you guys see is one part of the game which is scoring. Players like bron have steph's scoring impact but also impact the game everywhere else. This is why bron can take a shit team much further than steph.

Name those players and the teams they were on. Very short list and most of those I hear mentioned aren't even close to comparable. LeBron for example has never taken an objectively worse team further than what Curry is projected to do this year.

Hey Yo
04-11-2021, 10:20 AM
Name those players and the teams they were on. Very short list and most of those I hear mentioned aren't even close to comparable. LeBron for example has never taken an objectively worse team further than what Curry is projected to do this year.
Outside of LeBron, 2007 Cavs had zero all-stars, zero All-NBA and zero All-Defensive players that season. They still made the Finals.

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 10:48 AM
Outside of LeBron, 2007 Cavs had zero all-stars, zero All-NBA and zero All-Defensive players that season. They still made the Finals.

Are league awards supposed to mean something? They exist so that they can be manipulated to tell a narrative favored by the network that paid billions to broadcast NBA games. Even without considering that I fail to see how they were a worse team than one that finished last in the league with 15 wins.

Hey Yo
04-11-2021, 11:32 AM
Are league awards supposed to mean something? They exist so that they can be manipulated to tell a narrative favored by the network that paid billions to broadcast NBA games. Even without considering that I fail to see how they were a worse team than one that finished last in the league with 15 wins.
That's right, I forgot. Every award that Steph doesn't win is because there manipulated to tell a narrative favored by the network that paid billions to broadcast NBA games.

How did last years GS team get inserted to the convo? You specified this years GS team.

you...... LeBron for example has never taken an objectively worse team further than what Curry is projected to do this year.

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 11:39 AM
That's right, I forgot. Every award that Steph doesn't win is because there manipulated to tell a narrative favored by the network that paid billions to broadcast NBA games.

How did last years GS team get inserted to the convo? You specified this years GS team.

you...... LeBron for example has never taken an objectively worse team further than what Curry is projected to do this year.

This year's team without Steph is basically last year's team or maybe even worse if you look at what the additions are doing. So Steph + 15-win team = a projected 34-win team this year despite missing several games? Steph is good for a 19 game improvement in shortened seasons? Steph has more of an effect on wins than the rest of his team combined? Looks like it.

RRR3
04-11-2021, 11:40 AM
This year's team without Steph is basically last year's team or maybe even worse if you look at what the additions are doing. So Steph + 15-win team = a projected 34-win team this year? Steph is good for a 19 game improvement in shortened seasons? Steph has more of an effect on wins than the rest of his team combined? Looks like it.
LeBron went 66-16 with a similar roster in 2009

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 11:41 AM
LeBron went 66-16 with a similar roster in 2009

Show that that roster was only good for less than 20 wins.

ShawkFactory
04-11-2021, 11:42 AM
I think iverson should of won mvp in 2005 but we don’t all get what we want op

Lol wtf

Hey Yo
04-11-2021, 11:43 AM
This year's team without Steph is basically last year's team or maybe even worse if you look at what the additions are doing. So Steph + 15-win team = a projected 34-win team this year despite missing several games? Steph is good for a 19 game improvement in shortened seasons? Steph has more of an effect on wins than the rest of his team combined? Looks like it.
No..... this years GS team isn't nearly as bad as last years. You're clearly reaching.........

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 11:50 AM
No..... this years GS team isn't nearly as bad as last years. You're clearly reaching.........

But it is. The main additions to the team are Oubre and Wiseman. With them on, the team's net ratings get dragged down dramatically.

Net rating
Steph, Dray, Wiggins; no Wiseman or Oubre +24.9
Steph, Dray, Wiggins, Wiseman, Oubre -13.0

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/mkv0u5/the_2021_warriors_are_the_worst_team_in_the_nba/

Bronbron23
04-11-2021, 11:55 AM

Dude there's players this year that's taking similar caliber rosters as far or further. Ja in mephis, trae in atlanta, knicks, hornets. None of these teams are good.

Shit up until this year greeks bucks aren't anything special without him and he always leads his teams to good records.

And brons early cle team was never any better than this warriors squad. Again, put 31 year old bron in place of curry on this warriors squad and they're making playoffs easily.

Curry is a great player to make a already good team great but he dosnt impact the game enough to make a bad team good. When all he has does to do is score its all good. But when a team is lacking and needs someone to be a presence in every area of the game including defense curry can't do that. Guys like Bron, mj, kawhi and greek can. Dosn't mean curry isn't still great. Just means he can't impact the game as much as some other greats can.

Hey Yo
04-11-2021, 11:59 AM
But it is. The main additions to the team are Oubre and Wiseman. With them on, the team's net ratings get dragged down dramatically.

Net rating
Steph, Dray, Wiggins; no Wiseman or Oubre +24.9
Steph, Dray, Wiggins, Wiseman, Oubre -13.0

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/mkv0u5/the_2021_warriors_are_the_worst_team_in_the_nba/
What was last years team net rating w/o Steph and Dray??

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 12:08 PM
Dude there's players this year that's taking similar caliber rosters as far or further. Ja in mephis, trae in atlanta, knicks, hornets. None of these teams are good.

Shit up until this year greeks bucks aren't anything special without him and he always leads his teams to good records.

And brons early cle team was never any better than this warriors squad. Again, put 31 year old bron in place of curry on this warriors squad and they're making playoffs easily.

Curry is a great player to make a already good team great but he dosnt impact the game enough to make a bad team good. When all he has does to do is score its all good. But when a team is lacking and needs someone to be a presence in every area of the game including defense curry can't do that. Guys like Bron, mj, kawhi and greek can. Dosn't mean curry isn't still great. Just means he can't impact the game as much as some other greats can.

If you can show they were sub-20 win teams without their stars than you have argument. If not it is just speculation and blather.

Steph's team last year was the worst in the league. That's simply a fact. He's dragging them up to close to a .500 record despite missing more than a tenth of the season. Not many cases where that's happened.

RRR3
04-11-2021, 12:12 PM
Show that that roster was only good for less than 20 wins.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2011.html

:yaohappy:

mehyaM24
04-11-2021, 12:13 PM
If you can show they were sub-20 win teams without their stars than you have argument. If not it is just speculation and blather.

Steph's team last year was the worst in the league. That's simply a fact.

you're not arguing that steph is the MVP right now, right? i think he's high impact and the goat shooter. i understand he gets a lot of bs flack too.

still not MVP though.

Hey Yo
04-11-2021, 12:13 PM

Steph's team last year was the worst in the league. That's simply a fact.
Why are you calling them stars? That term only exists so that they can be manipulated to tell a narrative favored by the network that paid billions to broadcast NBA games, no?

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 12:17 PM
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2011.html

:yaohappy:

Touché.

Then again that's in the aftermath of being abandoned and demoralized by their star player. I cannot think of another player who gets as much credit for abandoning his teams.

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 12:20 PM
Why are you calling them stars? That term only exists so that they can be manipulated to tell a narrative favored by the network that paid billions to broadcast NBA games, no?

Their leading players then.

you're not arguing that steph is the MVP right now, right? i think he's high impact and the goat shooter. i understand he gets a lot of bs flack too.

still not MVP though.

He's not going to win the award. It has its history and calcified preconditions. But as for the idea of what a real MVP should be? Yes he certainly should be in the running and, depending on how many more games they win and how Steph performs in them, yes in the end he might very well deserve it.

Hey Yo
04-11-2021, 12:25 PM
Touché.

Then again that's in the aftermath of being abandoned and demoralized by their star player. I cannot think of another player who gets as much credit for abandoning his teams.
LOL @ crying about using his free agency rights

Pretty sure Steph could've come back last year as some point but instead decided to be in on the tank job and let the ship sink and burn.

That's some great showing of leadership.

RRR3
04-11-2021, 12:27 PM
Touché.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DistantIdleAlligator-max-1mb.gif

Just admit it pal by your own standard LeBron has more impact.

Bronbron23
04-11-2021, 12:31 PM

Steph's team last year was the worst in the league. That's simply a fact. He's dragging them up to close to a .500 record despite missing more than a tenth of the season. Not many cases where that's happened.

Well last year they missed almost 20 games because of covid so not sure they're actually a sub 20 win team.

And last years team wasn't as good. Green missed a bunch of games and wasn't healthy and they didn't have wiggins until late in the season.

As far as curry dragging them to an almost .500 team he definitely is but again lots of great players do and have done that. Your acting like curry is the only player that can do it. Exchange curry for bron, kawhi, greek, harden or chris paul and the warriors are above .500

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 12:37 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DistantIdleAlligator-max-1mb.gif

Just admit it pal by your own standard LeBron has more impact.

That 2011 Cavaliers team also lost Shaq and wasn't really replaced by anyone significant that I can tell so a fairly straight comparison is not available.

But we'll see. The current season isn't finished yet.

Well last year they missed almost 20 games because of covid so not sure they're actually a sub 20 win team.

And last years team wasn't as good. Green missed a bunch of games and wasn't healthy and they didn't have wiggins until late in the season.

As far as curry dragging them to an almost .500 team he definitely is but again lots of great players do and have done that. Your acting like curry is the only player that can do it. Exchange curry for bron, kawhi, greek, harden or chris paul and the warriors are above .500

I'm using sub-20-wins as the mark to account for the shortened season since 19 wins was the projected wins if the whole season was completed. As it is the Warrior finished with 15 wins.

Wiggins was received in a trade for DLo so a roughly equal exchange.

If every other star you mention can do what Curry is doing cite the cases where Bron, Kawhi, Greek, Harden and Chris Paul did so. I am aware of 2 cases of those mentioned that might have an argument. One just brought to my attention above and even that isn't as clean a comparison because it is comparing a team that had a roster that wanted to prove itself and another that was left hanging.

RRR3
04-11-2021, 12:41 PM
That 2011 Cavaliers team also lost Shaq and wasn't really replaced by anyone significant that I can tell so a fairly straight comparison is not available.

Yes, grandpa Shaq was so valuable to the Cavs :oldlol:

mehyaM24
04-11-2021, 12:41 PM
He's not going to win the award. It has its history and calcified preconditions. But as for the idea of what a real MVP should be? Yes he certainly should be in the running and, depending on how many more games they win and how Steph performs in them, yes in the end he might very well deserve it.

that's fair - and curry has certainly carried them. i will give you that.

many of the advanced stats like BPM/RPM include a variation of teamplay, but curry rates well in all of them. his impact is felt no matter what.

Axe
04-11-2021, 04:56 PM

I'm using sub-20-wins as the mark to account for the shortened season since 19 wins was the projected wins if the whole season was completed. As it is the Warrior finished with 15 wins.

Wiggins was received in a trade for DLo so a roughly equal exchange.

If every other star you mention can do what Curry is doing cite the cases where Bron, Kawhi, Greek, Harden and Chris Paul did so. I am aware of 2 cases of those mentioned that might have an argument. One just brought to my attention above and even that isn't as clean a comparison because it is comparing a team that had a roster that wanted to prove itself and another that was left hanging.
It seems your hero isn't dragging the warriors close to 40 wins this year.

Stephonit
04-11-2021, 09:12 PM
It seems your hero isn't dragging the warriors close to 40 wins this year.

This year is a shortened season with only 72 regular season games instead of the usual 82.

Axe
04-12-2021, 05:54 AM
This year is a shortened season with only 72 regular season games instead of the usual 82.
So? What do you mean by that?

tontoz
04-12-2021, 10:58 AM
So? What do you mean by that?

Math have you flummoxed again? :oldlol:

In a 82 game season 40 wins is a losing record at 40-42.

In a 72 game season 40 wins is a winning record at 40-32.