PDA

View Full Version : Luka/Cuban/mavs already complaining about the play in tourny

bison
04-14-2021, 11:01 AM
Luka Dončić: "I don't understand the idea of a play-in tournament. You play 72 games to get into the playoffs, then maybe you lose two in a row and you're out of the playoffs. So I don't see the point of that."

That’s rich considering Cuban was all in for the play in tourny before the season started. Now the mavs find themselves in the 7th seed with 3-4 weeks left in the season. But no one else is complaining. The East teams that are seeded 7-10 don’t mind because they know they have no business being in the playoffs anyway. Also I’m sure pels, grizz and Spurs fans relish the idea of stealing the 7th or 8th seed in a play in tourny. Only mavs fans are complaining because they firmly believe they are a playoff team that shouldn’t have to prove it in a play in tourny. I understand their pain but this new format makes teams more competitive and save a few teams from tanking. Thoughts, insidehoopers?

tpols
04-14-2021, 11:14 AM
So either win more and get the 6 seed or prove yourself in the tournament. Buck up.

Hey Yo
04-14-2021, 11:19 AM
Cuban:

"I get why the NBA is doing it," Cuban said in a series of messages to ESPN. "But if we are going to be creative because of COVID, we should go straight up 1-20 and let the bottom 4 play in. This is the year particularly to do it since the 10 games cut [from the normal 82-game schedule] were in conference.

"The worst part of this approach is that it doubles the stress of the compressed schedule. Rather than playing for a playoff spot and being able to rest players as the standings become clearer, teams have to approach every game as a playoff game to either get into or stay in the top 6 since the consequences, as Luka said, are enormous. So players are playing more games and more minutes in fewer days."

"In a regular season of 82 games where we aren't playing 30-plus games in 6 weeks, then it might have been OK," Cuban told ESPN. "But the compression of so many games into so few days makes this an enormous mistake. "If we had gone 1 to 16, with the top 12 in, it still would have been rough, but there would have been more separation between play-in and the top 12. This is a season where we have to rest high-usage players. We have no choice. And that can and will have consequences."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31249644/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-nba-play-tournament-plan-enormous-mistake

Tom Haberstroh@tomhaberstroh
Worth noting here: The Mavericks have lost 118 player-days due to COVID protocols this season, second-most in the NBA. Roughly 4x the median team.

Bad luck or whatever, that has to factor into Cuban's comments here.

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/1382338937558024196

bison
04-14-2021, 11:31 AM
^I wouldn’t have done the play in tournament in a compressed/COVID season. But Luka was complaining about the format in general.

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2021, 01:54 PM
And so will every 7th seed moving forward

Its a completely senseless rule created to get another cashcow game.

Purely for drama.

Imagine fighting 82 games to be the 7th seed and then losing that seed overnight and now being a game away from elimination.

Its absolutely insane.

2021 i guess.

More useless inventions to catch attention of the ones with no attention span.

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2021, 06:10 PM
And so will every 7th seed moving forward

Its a completely senseless rule created to get another cashcow game.

Purely for drama.

Imagine fighting 82 games to be the 7th seed and then losing that seed overnight and now being a game away from elimination.

Its absolutely insane.

2021 i guess.

More useless inventions to catch attention of the ones with no attention span.

7th seed isn't much different than 10th. Win more or STFU. There was a time when only 6 teams made the playoffs

HBK_Kliq_2
04-14-2021, 06:36 PM
The biggest crybaby star\owner duo in NBA history, hope they never win anything together. Be a top 6 seed if you don't like it, crybaby. It prevents teams from tanking, it's good for the league.

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2021, 08:08 PM
Joe Vardon: Condensed schedules and workloads are not things about which Tom Thibodeau would complain, but he said the NBA play-in format, so far, is good. ‘I think a lot of teams being involved in important games, I think that’s good for the league.’ (https://*********.com/social/) @The Athletic
– via Twitter joevardon (https://twitter.com/joevardon)

bison
04-14-2021, 11:37 PM
7th seed isn't much different than 10th. Win more or STFU. There was a time when only 6 teams made the playoffs

This.

Who the f*ck fights 82 games for the 7th seed? Is being swept out of a play in tourny in two games really that worse than getting back door swept in the 1st round?

Axe
04-14-2021, 11:39 PM
Cuban has become a better individual ever since helping out delonte west before but he's still whining shit about stuff. Crazy.

kentatm
04-15-2021, 02:10 AM
The biggest crybaby star\owner duo in NBA history, hope they never win anything together. Be a top 6 seed if you don't like it, crybaby. It prevents teams from tanking, it's good for the league.

teams w/losing records making the playoffs are never good for any league.

Axe
04-15-2021, 02:21 AM
teams w/losing records making the playoffs are never good for any league.
Yet it is funny in some kind of way.