PDA

View Full Version : NBA ratings collapse even more

ZionDunks
04-21-2021, 12:40 AM
Have we discussed:

According to The Athletic’s Ethan Strauss, that record will break once again this season. “Eventually, it will be official: The NBA again lost viewership on its ABC games, down from last season’s all-time low,” Strauss writes. “Based on how this average drops as the season moves along (it starts off highest after the Christmas games bonanza), we can safely project that the ABC games will finish at a mark that’s lower than last season.” The current average for the premium network TV games to this point in 2020-2021 is 2.83 million. Strauss adds that the jury is still out on […]

Are we still going with chord cutting and “everyone is at home bc of Covid” or could it be the NBA has alienated even its most centrist viewers because they have gone completely far left political and many of the players are fake intellectuals who are out of their lane to weigh in on such matters while staying silent on some like the buffet activists they are?

imdaman99
04-21-2021, 12:57 AM
Put this in the political forum you boring ass troll.

ZionDunks
04-21-2021, 12:58 AM
Put this in the political forum you boring ass troll.

The NBA says it’s not politics but human rights when people say stop being political. It is league discussion, and you just violated the TOS with a derailing personal attack.

light
04-21-2021, 01:19 AM
we're still in the middle of the pandemic.

people's priorities are still a little bit different, i'm sure you'd agree. we're not as carefree. we don't look at free time in quite the same way.

what's normal right now?

3ball
04-21-2021, 01:20 AM
No one gives a shit about the politics

The NBA just isn't cool anymore

It's a bunch of soft, coddled team-hoppers and colluders - cool people aren't interested anymore

Axe
04-21-2021, 01:24 AM

It's a bunch of soft, coddled team-hoppers and colluders - cool people aren't interested anymore
And yet here you are still posting utter nonsense itb, even when you yourself claimed that you don't watch it anymore.

light
04-21-2021, 01:26 AM

that isn't the case because the popularity of the league's star players is incredibly high. those guys are not suffering in terms of fandom or merchandise sales.

the precise issue here is that people are not tuning in to watch games on ABC. for ABC the issue is about themselves and what they're doing wrong as a network and whether they're adapting to the shifting media landscape in the right way. ditto for the NBA head office.

the players, on the other hand, are dialed in to the modern media landscape and they do not suffer from lack of attention individually.

when i watch games in game threads half of the people are watching on illegally streamed feeds. this is a primary issue.

bison
04-21-2021, 01:35 AM
The median age of insidehoops posters is 45-49

FultzNationRISE
04-21-2021, 01:44 AM

people's priorities are still a little bit different, i'm sure you'd agree. we're not as carefree. we don't look at free time in quite the same way.

what's normal right now?

I got news for you bud, this is not the middle.

This is only the beginning.

SATAN
04-21-2021, 01:51 AM
Have we discussed:

According to The Athletic’s Ethan Strauss, that record will break once again this season. “Eventually, it will be official: The NBA again lost viewership on its ABC games, down from last season’s all-time low,” Strauss writes. “Based on how this average drops as the season moves along (it starts off highest after the Christmas games bonanza), we can safely project that the ABC games will finish at a mark that’s lower than last season.” The current average for the premium network TV games to this point in 2020-2021 is 2.83 million. Strauss adds that the jury is still out on […]

Are we still going with chord cutting and “everyone is at home bc of Covid” or could it be the NBA has alienated even its most centrist viewers because they have gone completely far left political and many of the players are fake intellectuals who are out of their lane to weigh in on such matters while staying silent on some like the buffet activists they are?

It's because LeBron is injured.

Stanley Kobrick
04-21-2021, 02:34 AM
shame, you had a pretty good run with this dup Daniel but im afraid as Harden and Bran's conquest goes closer to our worst fears, so does our sanity. this has to be hippitypoppinplatipus 100th thread just this year grimacing about 'kidz these dayz" and fawning over everything that seemed so spectacular as a child, when starter jackets and pogs existed :(

Stephonit
04-21-2021, 03:11 AM
Media coverage of the NBA reminds me of the dysfunctional political coverage. I'm not even talking about the actual issues involved, just the way things are presented and talked about. Unpopular players and teams are ignored. Commentators don't talk about the actual game being played in front of them. Certain players are hyped beyond belief. Networks seem to be pushing an agenda. Non-events are promoted as controversies. Etc. I'm sure many people are tired if not sickened by it.

noonereal
04-21-2021, 09:48 AM

I can see you are not one of reason or wisdom.

Best of luck to you

peace

HoopsNY
04-21-2021, 09:51 AM
Have we discussed:

The league's ratings have been dipping for years. The game sucks now. I hope this generation of fans are happy with this style of play. They're literally digging their own graves.

HoopsNY
04-21-2021, 09:52 AM

what's normal right now?

Yet more people still have more free time than ever before, but have less free time than they did during the lockdowns. What does that tell you? If anything, ratings should have increased.

tontoz
04-21-2021, 09:54 AM
ABC? Who cares about ABC? This is 2021

NBA TV ratings soar in 2020-21, numbers that will define the season

One of the primary reasons for this expected dramatic increase in NBA TV contracts is the fact that the Association has more appeal beyond the United States and boasts a younger mainstream audience in terms of demographics than the NFL.

As noted below, the 2019-20 NBA season saw a dramatic decrease in viewership. That’s primarily due to the pandemic and the heated political rhetoric in an election year. This has not been the case throughout the 2020-21 campaign. That, too, will play a role.

“I think everyone expects that so long as the public is demonstrating through ratings that they are watching the NBA, you can probably expect increases there as well,” said former CBS Sports president Neal Pilson. “I would think the NBA is going to look for significant increases.”

https://sportsnaut.com/nba-tv-ratings/

What the NBA provides them, from a business perspective, is a much more popular sport globally than the NFL or baseball, and sport still proving popular with harder to reach Gen Z, even if they consume the media in different ways than Baby Boomers and Gen X did. Young’s report says the NBA seems to be continuing that trend with Gen Alpha (I guess that’s what we’re calling the youngest generation). Increased legalized gambling (and illegal gambling) also may play a role (although how much has yet to be quantified).

That money pouring into the NBA will be split between the league and its players, a divide that is currently roughly 50/50 (it’s more complex than that, but that’s the basic idea). More television revenue will lead to a higher salary cap and, with that, higher salaries (particularly for the elite players, but somewhat trickling down to role and minimum players).

The NBA’s negotiations for its next broadcast deal — which probably stays with the current partners and focus more on streaming rights — is more than a year away, but the groundwork has been laid. And it looks like the NBA is about to get paid.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/ratings-slump-next-nba-broadcast-deal-reportedly-could-triple-current-one/

PistolPete
04-21-2021, 10:38 AM
The only solution to fix the falling ratings is MORE social justice. People need to understand that a wave is coming and it's here to stay. Every game should start with players reading a list of names that police and White people have killed. At half time, the players need to read a list of Trans people who have been bullied and targeted by non-Trans people. And lastly, at least half of the NBA teams should have women coaches as well as WNBA players making the crossover into the NBA. Once people realize that these issues are here to stay, then people will wake up and realize their biases and hatred have no place in society and they will accept the new NBA and start watching again.

tpols
04-21-2021, 10:52 AM
Players sit out half the regular season now... Every game I turn on in primetime is a B team boring exhibition match... so I end up not watching it. Last night I turn on the tv and both dame and kawhi are doing it. Kawhi has "right foot soreness"... so basically they can just make up any excuse, and use it to rest. That's basically cheating compared to the past where everybody was playing their 82, and THEN had to take on the playoffs.

PistolPete
04-21-2021, 10:58 AM
Players sit out half the regular season now... Every game I turn on in primetime is a B team boring exhibition match... so I end up not watching it. Last night I turn on the tv and both dame and kawhi are doing it. Kawhi has "right foot soreness"... so basically they can just make up any excuse, and use it to rest. That's basically cheating compared to the past where everybody was playing their 82, and THEN had to take on the playoffs.

In the meantime, the Knicks are a fun team to watch. And once that prima donna Lebron retires, I'm extremely confident that the NBA will return back to normal. Lebron has become bigger than the game. He is worshipped around every corner.

Mark my words, the future of the NBA is Zion Williamson. He is such an amazing kid with an amazing personality and he is the anti-Lebron.

Lebron23
04-21-2021, 11:11 AM
In the meantime, the Knicks are a fun team to watch. And once that prima donna Lebron retires, I'm extremely confident that the NBA will return back to normal. Lebron has become bigger than the game. He is worshipped around every corner.

Mark my words, the future of the NBA is Zion Williamson. He is such an amazing kid with an amazing personality and he is the anti-Lebron.

Lebron is the best thing that ever happened in the NBA

PistolPete
04-21-2021, 11:13 AM

:lol

FultzNationRISE
04-21-2021, 11:17 AM
ABC? Who cares about ABC? This is 2021

https://sportsnaut.com/nba-tv-ratings/

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/ratings-slump-next-nba-broadcast-deal-reportedly-could-triple-current-one/

That article was “debunked” as a misleading hype piece. It compares numbers for opening day this year and last year, without noting that opening day this year was Christmas; always one of the top rated games each season, versus last year’s October 25th opener :ohwell:

Look up league ratings info since January. But just beware... you’ll need a plunger to find it.

ArbitraryWater
04-21-2021, 11:19 AM

what's normal right now?

how tf would this affect viewership?

there is less traffic / car activity rn, if anything more ppl at home with a chance to watch.

btw, this pandemic is a fraud.

HoopsNY
04-21-2021, 11:33 AM

Good point

tontoz
04-21-2021, 11:34 AM
That article was “debunked” as a misleading hype piece. It compares numbers for opening day this year and last year, without noting that opening day this year was Christmas; always one of the top rated games each season, versus last year’s October 25th opener :ohwell:

Look up league ratings info since January. But just beware... you’ll need a plunger to find it.

I quoted two articles. RIF

HoopsNY
04-21-2021, 11:34 AM

That would be Larry and Magic sir. They made the league relevant.

FultzNationRISE
04-21-2021, 11:47 AM
I quoted two articles. RIF

I know hun, but theyre based on a faulty premise from the beginning of the season (comparing the usual opening week of october with this year’s opening week of christmas break)

Note:

As NBA Ratings Decline, Poll Shows 34% Watched Less Sports Over Social Justice Messages

Yahoo News/YouGov surveyed 1,606 U.S. adults from March 22 to March 25 and reported a margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points.

The poll's findings come as TV ratings for a majority of sports, including the NBA, declined in 2020. At the start of the 2020-2021 NBA season, Nielsen Media Research data showed that NBA viewership for nationally televised games on TNT, ABC and ESPN was up 34 percent compared to the same 27-game period from last season.

Data from more recent NBA action shows a decrease in ratings and TV viewership, as ESPN drew a .6 rating for a recent game between the Milwaukee Bucks and Philadelphia 76ers, which is down 41 percent from a comparable night in 2019.

For the week ending on March 28, ShowBuzzDaily data shows NBA TV ratings remaining below .70. Data from 2019 shows that comparable games during the same time period received rating ranging from .68 to .91.

The NBA's ratings have no doubt been affected by the various schedule adjustments made because of the coronavirus pandemic. But, as the poll notes, the decline also looks to be partly caused by the social justice messaging promoted by the league and teams.

https://www.newsweek.com/nba-ratings-decline-poll-shows-34-watched-less-sports-over-social-justice-messages-1579886

Newsweek is ordinarily SUPER woke btw, so this isnt fake news.

PistolPete
04-21-2021, 11:49 AM
how tf would this affect viewership?

there is less traffic / car activity rn, if anything more ppl at home with a chance to watch.

btw, this pandemic is a fraud.

I know that when I'm sitting at home cause all the restaurants and bars are closed, the last thing I want to do is sit down to watch a basketball game.

But damn it, if the bars and restaurants are open, then I'm suddenly more interested in watching basketball.

tontoz
04-21-2021, 12:04 PM
I know hun, but theyre based on a faulty premise from the beginning of the season (comparing the usual opening week of october with this year’s opening week of christmas break)

Note:

Newsweek is ordinarily SUPER woke btw, so this isnt fake news.

You are still missing the key issue. The NBA is far more popular than the NFL or any other league internationally which is why the next TV deal will go up substantially.

FultzNationRISE
04-21-2021, 12:13 PM
You are still missing the key issue. The NBA is far more popular than the NFL or any other league internationally which is why the next TV deal will go up substantially.

Sure, altho the article references wht theyll ask for not necessarily what theyll get. In the last two years the league has aliented the Chinese and American markets with its wokeness. Networks will have to think carefully about committing to the NBA as a partner, no matter how tempting the emerging markets in Indonesia or Nigeria might be.

Im sure the NBA will get a big deal given many of the over arching factors related to basketball. But the recent trend is definitely not their friend.

Bronbron23
04-21-2021, 12:42 PM
They nba has basically screwed themselves. in an effort to appeal to the casual viewer the nba has put in rules to promote more offense. By doing so they've turned off their core base of fans who like real basketball for a new generation of casual fans who don't actually watch games. They don't have the attention span to sit and watch full games. They'd rather just watch highlights and look at stats.

Most of the ballers i know barely watch games anymore. How many screens and open threes or floaters can people watch? The rules have made the game boring and predictable as hell.

What's crazy is proponents of this era are so defensive and insecure about their weak ass era that they refuse to accept that their era is in fact soft and nobody wants to watch it. Like most stubborn idiots they'd rather go down with the ship then acknowledge there's a problem that needs to be fixed.

8Ball
04-21-2021, 12:43 PM
Fools.

All sports ratings are down because there are no fans in the arenas right now so the atmosphere isn't the same.

Chill out.

Gimmedarock
04-21-2021, 12:51 PM
I’m watching more nba than ever. I play my video games. I watch my movies. I put in 8 hrs a day at a hell hole so I don’t care what’s going on, I’m getting my enjoyment in no matter what’s going on. I’m getting mine. NBA is awesome right now.

noonereal
04-21-2021, 12:53 PM
I’m watching more nba than ever. .... I’m getting my enjoyment in no matter what’s going on. I’m getting mine. NBA is awesome right now.

Same here.

noonereal
04-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Fools.

All sports ratings are down because there are no fans in the arenas right now so the atmosphere isn't the same.

Chill out.

it's way more than this but you are right, all sports rating are down and have been for over a decade.
It is because of the proliferation of viewing options not because some redneck is racist.

HoopsNY
04-21-2021, 01:03 PM
They nba has basically screwed themselves. in an effort to appeal to the casual viewer the nba has put in rules to promote more offense. By doing so they've turned off their core base of fans who like real basketball for a new generation of casual fans who don't actually watch games. They don't have the attention span to sit and watch full games. They'd rather just watch highlights and look at stats.

Most of the ballers i know barely watch games anymore. How many screens and open threes or floaters can people watch? The rules have made the game boring and predictable as hell.

What's crazy is proponents of this era are so defensive and insecure about their weak ass era that they refuse to accept that their era is in fact soft and nobody wants to watch it. Like most stubborn idiots they'd rather go down with the ship then acknowledge there's a problem that needs to be fixed.

Which is why I mentioned that fans are digging their own graves. I had a friend recently, young guy, only about 29, who used to rant and rave about the league, tell me that the league is hot garbage now and he can't stand watching it.

He didn't start watching the league until about 2010. At least the league was still normal back then. Heck, it had some normalcy in 2014-15. But since then, things have really gone downhill.

It's the most "skilled" era supposedly, yet nobody wants to watch it.

Bronbron23
04-21-2021, 01:20 PM
Which is why I mentioned that fans are digging their own graves. I had a friend recently, young guy, only about 29, who used to rant and rave about the league, tell me that the league is hot garbage now and he can't stand watching it.

He didn't start watching the league until about 2010. At least the league was still normal back then. Heck, it had some normalcy in 2014-15. But since then, things have really gone downhill.

It's the most "skilled" era supposedly, yet nobody wants to watch it.

Yeah i Wouldn't say it's more or less skilled it's just different. It's more skilled in some areas and less in others. If it is more skilled that's fine. Just bring back real defense and we'll see. If it's as skilled as some people say then bringing ball physical defense shouldn't matter much.

Mr. Woke
04-21-2021, 01:22 PM
I personally love the modern NBA.

The NBA of previous eras was unwatchable.

Bronbron23
04-21-2021, 02:01 PM
I personally love the modern NBA.

The NBA of previous eras was unwatchable.

This dude says previous eras were unwatchable but almost 3 times as many more people watched games then :facepalm

tontoz
04-21-2021, 02:14 PM
This dude says previous eras were unwatchable but almost 3 times as many more people watched games then :facepalm

Uhhhh...no. After the Dream Team the game exploded internationally. There are far more international players now and fans of those countries that follow them. Just on the Wizards we have guys from Japan, Israel, Latvia and Germany (i am probably forgetting some countries lol).

Whatever the ratings are domestically isn't that important. Worldwide far more people follow the NBA now than back in the 90s.

LegendaryBaller
04-21-2021, 03:00 PM
Get “woke” and go broke, kind of deal. I guess real Americans don’t enjoy having a divisive communist ideology shoved down their collective throats. That in combination with no physicality, everything being a three point contest, too much player empowerment / movement draining fans of actual cities or franchises, players taking long sabbaticals for no real reason and this season way too many injuries. So, doesn’t surprise me one bit.

tontoz
04-21-2021, 03:02 PM
Get “woke” and go broke, kind of deal. I guess real Americans don’t enjoy having a divisive communist ideology shoved down their collective throats. That in combination with no physicality, everything being a three point contest, too much player empowerment / movement draining fans of actual cities or franchises, players taking long sabbaticals for no real reason and this season way too many injuries. So, doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Yet here you are using an alt to post on a NBA message board.

Bronbron23
04-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Uhhhh...no. After the Dream Team the game exploded internationally. There are far more international players now and fans of those countries that follow them. Just on the Wizards we have guys from Japan, Israel, Latvia and Germany (i am probably forgetting some countries lol).

Whatever the ratings are domestically isn't that important. Worldwide far more people follow the NBA now than back in the 90s.

Well the NBA'S biggest sponsor is domestic so i wouldn't day domestic viewership isn't important.

tontoz
04-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Well the NBA'S biggest sponsor is domestic so i wouldn't day domestic viewership isn't important.

It also has to be kept in context. People are acting like domestic ratings are the sole measure of the NBA's popularity.

Bronbron23
04-21-2021, 03:20 PM
It also has to be kept in context. People are acting like domestic ratings are the sole measure of the NBA's popularity.

No it definitely isn't but domestic viewership is definitely important

tontoz
04-21-2021, 03:29 PM
No it definitely isn't but domestic viewership is definitely important

The NBA is the most popular sports league in China which is why Morey took so much crap for his tweet. Support from China means big money.

This Floyd business will pass. It isn't going to have a lasting impact. A lot of NBA fans are young and not offended by the NBA's stance.

Bronbron23
04-21-2021, 03:37 PM
The NBA is the most popular sports league in China which is why Morey took so much crap for his tweet. Support from China means big money.

This Floyd business will pass. It isn't going to have a lasting impact. A lot of NBA fans are young and not offended by the NBA's stance.

We'll see but i wouldn't depend on the young nba fans. They're probably part of the problem. They don't have the attention span to sit down and watch games.

Indian guy
04-21-2021, 03:57 PM
TV ratings in 2021 really don't mean a whole lot. How people consume entertainment today is vastly different from even 5 years ago. Pretty much everything is at record lows and even more so since the pandemic.

This isn't to say the NBA doesn't have issues. The 2 major issues I see is the on-court product simply isn't fun anymore - too many 3's and defensive rules that are totally geared towards scoring. Stats have been devalued. The other is the frequency with which teams rest their star players. Makes the games feel meaningless.

rawimpact
04-21-2021, 04:00 PM
TV ratings in 2021 really don't mean a whole lot. How people consume entertainment today is vastly different from even 5 years ago. Pretty much everything is at record lows and even more so since the pandemic.

This isn't to say the NBA doesn't have issues. The 2 major issues I see is the on-court product simply isn't fun anymore - too many 3's and defensive rules that are totally geared towards scoring. Stats have been devalued. The other is the frequency with which teams rest their star players. Makes the games feel meaningless.

Solid post

I think a lot of people like myself don't see the NBA as the same sport they grew up playing. I'm sure past generations can say the same about what my experience of the NBA in the 80s, 90s and 00s was, but the change wasn't that drastic as what it is now. Pretty much every player, including centers have to be able to knock down a 3pter.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-21-2021, 04:28 PM
If they even the rules out a bit, and give defense more leeway, it'll give x/y/z more appeal.

Like others have noted, overall numbers mean less now. Russ is going on his 3rd (or is it his 4th?) TD season and nobody will bat an eye.

tontoz
04-21-2021, 04:40 PM
My pet peeve right now is the 'jump into the defender to get to the foul line' nonsense. Refs can't be that oblivious.

Ainosterhaspie
04-21-2021, 04:51 PM
My pet peeve right now is the 'jump into the defender to get to the foul line' nonsense. Refs can't be that oblivious.

That's been mine too for a decade. Just getting more strict on screens would make a big difference for defense.

Mr. Woke
04-22-2021, 12:11 AM

There were less options back then.

kawhileonard2
04-22-2021, 12:12 AM
The fact that Lebron was in the worst rating finals all time tells you everything you need to know.

Mr. Woke
04-22-2021, 12:12 AM

You aren't a "real American" you pathetic *****.

People like you aren't real NBA fans or real Americans.

ZionDunks
04-22-2021, 02:56 AM

Ehhh or the NBA has done damage that could take a decade or more to recover. If ever.

You’re not using any fact to back up what you say. Half the audience is gone. If they only needed China the league would be in China.

ZionDunks
04-22-2021, 02:59 AM
You aren't a "real American" you pathetic *****.

People like you aren't real NBA fans or real Americans.

Yeah get with the program people. To be a real nba fan you must be ok with them slamming our country while staying silent on the genocide going on in China.

Plus real Americans like lebron condemn cops for preserving life and would say the cop should have let the Ohio girl stab her friend to death.

Get with the times

ZionDunks
04-22-2021, 03:02 AM
“What’s the world comin to when a girl can’t even stab her friend to death without police getting involved?” - Lebron James

ZionDunks
04-22-2021, 03:05 AM
I got news for you bud, this is not the middle.

This is only the beginning.

Truth.

A middle would imply something ends.

coin24
04-22-2021, 07:17 AM

Great post:cheers:

The league is heading in a terrible direction and they better make changes before there’s no fans left.. games are unwatchable now

HoopsNY
04-22-2021, 09:18 AM
Yeah get with the program people. To be a real nba fan you must be ok with them slamming our country while staying silent on the genocide going on in China.

Plus real Americans like lebron condemn cops for preserving life and would say the cop should have let the Ohio girl stab her friend to death.

Get with the times

Bruh. That stuff that's going on with the Uyghurs in China is some Nazi 'ish. I swear I was never more horrified than when I read about it.

Dr Hawk
04-22-2021, 09:45 AM
If I ever wanted to watch an NBA game, I would spend more time watching advertisements about fast food than watching the actual game. No thanks.

90sgoat
04-22-2021, 01:04 PM
A lot of people just don't want to watch Hollywood or sports anymore because of all the politics and entitlement.

I only watch Youtube and reality TV now.

DoctorP
04-22-2021, 01:11 PM
I'm fine with it.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/QMHoU66sBXqqLqYvGO/giphy.gif

Bronbron23
04-22-2021, 01:11 PM
A lot of people just don't want to watch Hollywood or sports anymore because of all the politics and entitlement.

I really don't think the political aspect plays a huge role. People usually don't give a shit and if they do it just makes them tune in to see them lose. Shit everyone tuned in to watch ali and said way worse shit at the time.

The product just isn't as good anymore. Nobody wants to watch screens and open threes and floaters with little resistance all game. Nobody wants to watch players flopping every trip down the floor. I still watch because i love ball but the shit is getting bad.

PistolPete
04-22-2021, 01:14 PM
“What’s the world comin to when a girl can’t even stab her friend to death without police getting involved?” - Lebron James

:roll:

90sgoat
04-22-2021, 01:33 PM
I really don't think the political aspect plays a huge role. People usually don't give a shit and if they do it just makes them tune in to see them lose. Shit everyone tuned in to watch ali and said way worse shit at the time.

The product just isn't as good anymore. Nobody wants to watch screens and open threes and floaters with little resistance all game. Nobody wants to watch players flopping every trip down the floor. I still watch because i love ball but the shit is getting bad.

It's both.

It's like with the new Star Wars being all woke and shit, but the problem is that they just weren't very good.

Adam Silver is pandering to the players, which is sort of like pandering to wokes in Star Wars to include pink haired feminists.

Players know how to play, they don't know how to put a good product out. Wokes know how to complain, they don't know how to make a good movie.

Players need to be challenged by the league, by coaches, by fans. That's the only way.

bison
04-22-2021, 01:44 PM
Another thing to consider is that it’s more difficult to catch a game today than it was in the 90s/early 00s. Back then, local network tv affiliates would broadcast games on the local markets. Here in LA, KCAL9 would carry all non nationally televised games while KCOP would carry the Clipper games. So you could watch your local team nightly on free regular tv. This kept fan engagement high which translated to higher ratings for the nationally televised games.

Now cable providers have monopolized and gobbled up sports coverage. People don’t want to pay $70-$100 a month to watch basketball games and a bunch of other channels they will never watch. This is even more true now that streaming services dominate. NBA League Pass is also horribly formatted. If there’s something to blame for dipped ratings it’s corporate greed, not ‘politics’.

bison
04-22-2021, 01:49 PM

^This might be another reason NBA ratings are declining: Americans are getting dumber every year.

90sgoat is an example of how declining IQ contributes to lesser ratings for sports. As you can see he doesn’t watch Hollywood films—which were already stupid, low-brow and culturally trash to begin with—anymore and has proceeded to an even dumber form of entertainment: YouTube and reality TV. America has an IQ problem and it’s due to declining attention spans of people like 90sgoat. Americans want quick dopamine fixes they get from porn and YouTube fail clips and no longer have the brain power to sit and appreciate 48 minutes of basketball.

Bronbron23
04-22-2021, 04:36 PM
It's both.

It's like with the new Star Wars being all woke and shit, but the problem is that they just weren't very good.

Adam Silver is pandering to the players, which is sort of like pandering to wokes in Star Wars to include pink haired feminists.

Players know how to play, they don't know how to put a good product out. Wokes know how to complain, they don't know how to make a good movie.

Players need to be challenged by the league, by coaches, by fans. That's the only way.

Yeah for sure

Spurs m8
04-22-2021, 06:52 PM
This isn't a surprise....the league is garbage now, colluding, contract breaking losers, no D, 3 jacking, uncompetitive garbage.

It's a shame the best players in the world can't play proper basketball....

Yuck

Spurs m8
04-22-2021, 06:55 PM
The league is catered to dumb, soft fans

FultzNationRISE
04-22-2021, 09:24 PM
I see people are STILL insisting politics isnt a big part of the issue.

In the wake of last summer’s social justice protests, which consumed sports for much of the second half of 2020, nearly half of all Americans changed their sports viewing habits, according to a new YouGov / Yahoo News poll. As athletes and leagues embraced a new, progressive strategy aimed at amplifying messages of social justice and political advocacy, some Americans began watching more sports, but about three times as many watched less.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nearly-half-of-americans-changed-sports-viewing-habits-because-of-social-justice-192601834.html

34% of the public is watching less sports over this nonsense. That’s not “34% of people who have political affiliation A or B. It’s 34% of a random sampling of the American sports watching public. 53% of Republicans, 38% of Independents, 15% of Democrats. Thats a pretty sizable chunk.

But but “these people are just cutting the chord!”

34% of Americans, when polled, said theyre watching less sports this year directly because of politics.

Weird to see people still nakedly deny the truth point blank, when the data is there in black and white.

I guess it’s just partisan defensiveness. :confusedshrug:

Pretty lame, but what can ya expect.

Axe
04-22-2021, 09:52 PM
It's donald trump's fault this had to happen. :mad:

ralph_i_el
04-22-2021, 11:23 PM
Bruh. That stuff that's going on with the Uyghurs in China is some Nazi 'ish. I swear I was never more horrified than when I read about it.

I remember reading about WMDs in Iraq. A lot of folks were horrified of that too.

FultzNationRISE
04-22-2021, 11:29 PM
I remember reading about WMDs in Iraq. A lot of folks were horrified of that too.

Weapons of mass destruction, diseases of mass destruction... there’s a lot of scary narratives out there.

kawhileonard2
04-22-2021, 11:38 PM
NBA can only thrive with a true GOAT in Jordan and not a manufactured one who wins bronze medals and has the worst ratings ever in the finals in Lebron.

baudkarma
04-22-2021, 11:52 PM
The NBA is oversaturating the TV market. Two games on TNT Thursday. Two on ESPN on Friday. Two more on ESPN on Saturday, and then the prime time game on ABC. And then Two more on ESPN on Sunday. Is anybody going to watch every single one of those games? And if you're watching one of those games and it turns into a blowout, are you going to stick with it or go watch something else?

I would be interested to know what the raw viewership numbers are for the NBA on TV. Not the ratings, just the total number of people who watch each game. If ratings are down the the number of people watching is about the same because of the sheer number of games on TV, is that a win for the NBA?

ZionDunks
04-23-2021, 01:07 AM
NBA can only thrive with a true GOAT in Jordan and not a manufactured one who wins bronze medals and has the worst ratings ever in the finals in Lebron.

Great post

ZionDunks
04-23-2021, 01:07 AM
The NBA is oversaturating the TV market. Two games on TNT Thursday. Two on ESPN on Friday. Two more on ESPN on Saturday, and then the prime time game on ABC. And then Two more on ESPN on Sunday. Is anybody going to watch every single one of those games? And if you're watching one of those games and it turns into a blowout, are you going to stick with it or go watch something else?

I would be interested to know what the raw viewership numbers are for the NBA on TV. Not the ratings, just the total number of people who watch each game. If ratings are down the the number of people watching is about the same because of the sheer number of games on TV, is that a win for the NBA?

It could be some of this...

But it’s clearly the politics too

AlternativeAcc.
04-23-2021, 01:12 AM
More distractions than every... way more options.. way more variety... many folks are cableless...

Apples and oranges.. a slight decline in viewership doesn't alter the integrity of the competition. Competition is what we care about. Legacies. Players performances on the court. The number of people watching (based on an outdated form of guessing how many people watched ) is largely irrelevant in my book. Weird some of you guys nerd out on that shit lmao.

baudkarma
04-23-2021, 01:21 AM
TNT is replaying the Mavs-Lakers game that ended just a little while ago. And they're also going to be broadcasting the Dallas-Golden State game next Tuesday. So the Mavs will be on National TV three times in six days.

FultzNationRISE
04-23-2021, 01:23 AM
Great post

Im not so sure it was.

The thing is, Lebron is hung like an absolute clydesdale. He’s extremely alpha, and hes also mastered his craft and is universally recognized as the GOAT athlete. On top of being a beloved civil rights champion.

But I do think his achievements have left people feeling a bit desensitized. Like, when we watched past greats... we always wanted to see who would come along and top them. But with Lebron we get this sense that nobody can surpass him ever. Even tho hes inspired so many of the leagues other top players to strive for greatness, and the level of competition is way way way higher than ever... it just feels like now that Lebron did the impossible (winning in CLE) and then ****ed around and did the impossible AGAIN (resurrecting LAL)... it’s just like, anything else is a letdown by comparison.

Lebron was like, the end boss. The final chapter. And now the game will just never be the same. It feels... completed. Done with. People are moving on to other things like they would after beating a video game. “Okay, that was fun... what else is on now?”

Crazy.

Axe
04-23-2021, 03:40 AM
Im not so sure it was.

The thing is, Lebron is hung like an absolute clydesdale. He’s extremely alpha, and hes also mastered his craft and is universally recognized as the GOAT athlete. On top of being a beloved civil rights champion.

But I do think his achievements have left people feeling a bit desensitized. Like, when we watched past greats... we always wanted to see who would come along and top them. But with Lebron we get this sense that nobody can surpass him ever. Even tho hes inspired so many of the leagues other top players to strive for greatness, and the level of competition is way way way higher than ever... it just feels like now that Lebron did the impossible (winning in CLE) and then ****ed around and did the impossible AGAIN (resurrecting LAL)... it’s just like, anything else is a letdown by comparison.

Lebron was like, the end boss. The final chapter. And now the game will just never be the same. It feels... completed. Done with. People are moving on to other things like they would after beating a video game. “Okay, that was fun... what else is on now?”

Crazy.
Interesting...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/335c8b3f1e6f8bbf56b6045e4b76fe17/tenor.gif?itemid=17390851

3ball
04-23-2021, 03:26 PM

Furthermore, lebron's "decision" replaced the organic chemistry of prior eras with short-term, mercenary teamwork and an inferior brand of basketball

And his WWE-like manufacturing of a Finals record has inspired a soft, fake league that cool people watch less and less

Spurs m8
04-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Imagine being manufactured by the league and still needing 3 collusions to get anywhere...and still failing more than you succeed

The dude just isn't fun to watch, needs to be carried and is also racist and dumb as a brick off the court.

kawhileonard2
04-23-2021, 11:43 PM
Ratings were always best when Jordan played period.

ZionDunks
04-24-2021, 02:37 AM
Im not so sure it was.

Crazy.

He’s not an icon to half of people. He’s lost a culture war. If he’s hung like a Clydesdale why’s he fold every time he gets punched in the mouth like the schoolyard bully he is. He needs to win a real ring (he won’t).

ZionDunks
04-24-2021, 02:37 AM
Imagine being manufactured by the league and still needing 3 collusions to get anywhere...and still failing more than you succeed

The dude just isn't fun to watch, needs to be carried and is also racist and dumb as a brick off the court.

Amen. Ratings will improve when the bigot LeFraud retires

Shaquille O'Neal
04-24-2021, 03:33 AM
Here's why ratings are down; pick as many reasons as you want. Any or all of these:

1. Defense is not emphasized anymore.
2. Most games are a 3 point chuck fest.

But mostly:
Go woke, go broke. There's a reason "BLM" isn't painted on the courts anymore. Last year they were, and ratings plummeted.
The BLM Movement is:
1) Marxist.
2) Doesn't care about black people killing each other in big cities like Chicago on a daily basis.
3) Doesn't care about police brutality against any other races other than white cop vs. black suspect.
4) Does not preach to people to OBEY police commands and these things won't happen.
5) Has moronic people with loud voices, i.e. Lebron James saying "You're next" this week. Lebron is a selective social justice warrior; he doesn't give 2 shits about what's happening in China. When you have someone who can barely speak English with a borderline GED as a spokesperson "Cops are out here hunting down black people!" He said this with a straight face.
5a) - The casual fan watching Inside the NBA seeing Dwayne "out of touch" Wade tell me the Georgia voting rights bill is racist because a picture of a plantation was in the background. Requiring people to have ID to vote is not racist, and if you tell me in 2021 black people in GA can't figure out how to get an ID, you're the racist.

Let's not forget the stats - black people are 13% of the population and commit 50% of the violent crimes in this country. There is no accountability on the OTHER side. Hey man, Jamal wouldn't have gotten shot had he not been high, had 2 warrants, resisted arrest and tried to run over a copy while fleeing.
The amount of people that get killed by police while not breaking the law / obeying commands is .00000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

Cops pull over millions of people every year, yet you only hear about a small handful that meet a certain criteria or agenda. No one speaks out against the people who kill cops, who die in larger numbers than blacks from white cops.

People just want to watch sports and not hear a bullshit agenda by people trying to divide this country. Fu$k the BLM movement; bunch of race-baiters.

LAL
04-24-2021, 03:45 AM
Here's why ratings are down; pick as many reasons as you want. Any or all of these:

1. Defense is not emphasized anymore.
2. Most games are a 3 point chuck fest.

But mostly:
Go woke, go broke. There's a reason "BLM" isn't painted on the courts anymore. Last year they were, and ratings plummeted.
The BLM Movement is:
1) Marxist.
2) Doesn't care about black people killing each other in big cities like Chicago on a daily basis.
3) Doesn't care about police brutality against any other races other than white cop vs. black suspect.
4) Does not preach to people to OBEY police commands and these things won't happen.
5) Has moronic people with loud voices, i.e. Lebron James saying "You're next" this week. Lebron is a selective social justice warrior; he doesn't give 2 shits about what's happening in China. When you have someone who can barely speak English with a borderline GED as a spokesperson "Cops are out here hunting down black people!" He said this with a straight face.
5a) - The casual fan watching Inside the NBA seeing Dwayne "out of touch" Wade tell me the Georgia voting rights bill is racist because a picture of a plantation was in the background. Requiring people to have ID to vote is not racist, and if you tell me in 2021 black people in GA can't figure out how to get an ID, you're the racist.

Let's not forget the stats - black people are 13% of the population and commit 50% of the violent crimes in this country. There is no accountability on the OTHER side. Hey man, Jamal wouldn't have gotten shot had he not been high, had 2 warrants, resisted arrest and tried to run over a copy while fleeing.
The amount of people that get killed by police while not breaking the law / obeying commands is .00000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

Cops pull over millions of people every year, yet you only hear about a small handful that meet a certain criteria or agenda. No one speaks out against the people who kill cops, who die in larger numbers than blacks from white cops.

People just want to watch sports and not hear a bullshit agenda by people trying to divide this country. Fu$k the BLM movement; bunch of race-baiters.

Great post.

Also that 50% is mostly by 7% of the population.. black men.

Bronbron23
04-24-2021, 09:10 AM
More distractions than every... way more options.. way more variety... many folks are cableless...

Apples and oranges.. a slight decline in viewership doesn't alter the integrity of the competition. Competition is what we care about. Legacies. Players performances on the court. The number of people watching (based on an outdated form of guessing how many people watched ) is largely irrelevant in my book. Weird some of you guys nerd out on that shit lmao.

A slight decline? Bruh ain't nothing slight about it.

warriorfan
04-24-2021, 09:14 AM
DingoTV is saving the nba.