PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most complete starting 5 of all-time?

Dagoods
05-08-2021, 07:28 PM
This is not an all-time team consisting of the best players to ever play in each 5 positions (Kareem, Duncan, LeBron, Jordan, and Magic).Forget about inflated stats (e.g. Wilt, Oscar, Russell, etc). I was at the barbershop the other day getting my new ZION inspired haircut :D and there were a few cats (OGs and young lions) discussing some hoops. With that being said, we came up with a team that would complement each other starters' skills:

(34) Hakeem Olajuwon: Two-way center, someone who has a midrange shot, unstoppable in the post and most importantly one if not the greatest defensive C of all-time.

(3) Anthony Davis: Quite possibly the most talented PF ever. This was a close one between Dirk and Timmy. Dirk would provide sublime shooting, but is a liability on defense. Duncan had a superb mid-range game, untouchable post-up game, and is widely considered one of the greatest defenders ever. However, Timmy could not spread the floor or guard the parameter as well as AD could. He's the perfect balance between Dirk and Timmy. AD is an elite defender and he can stretch the floor. Moreover, he has become a solid 3pt shooter.

(6) LeBron James: The most complete player of all-time and the Point Forward(Guard) of this team.

(23) Michael Jordan: The greatest of all-time, the ultimate two-way player. So why not Kobe? Jordan was an overall better player, better defender and his shot selection was by far better as well.

(30) Stephen Curry: Without a doubt, the best shooter of all-time. So why not Magic? I already have LeBron running the point. Even though he's not a great defender, he has led the league in steals once.

Tactics: LeBron will be the playmaker and will feed the other players on this team. AD will spread the floor, Curry will get his shots, even more open looks than usual, MJ's midrange game is unmatched, Hakeem will be fed in the post or 10-15 feet away from the basket. LeBron will be able to drive at will, so will MJ, because The Dream is not a lane clogger!

Your thoughts? Your thoughts?

1987_Lakers
05-08-2021, 07:31 PM
Curry
MJ
LeBron
Bird
Hakeem

Dagoods
05-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Curry
MJ
LeBron
Bird
Hakeem

Bird began his career as a PF but switched to the SF position. Moreover, alike Dirk, he wasn't an elite defender. Surprisingly, he was still better than DIRK but would get owned by more athletic and bigger players playing in the 4 spot.

SouBeachTalents
05-08-2021, 07:43 PM
Curry
Klay
Kawhi
Bird
Hakeem

GOAT spacing & shooting, excellent defense, everyone could thrive without the ball, and there most likely wouldn't be any issues of egos clashing

1987_Lakers
05-08-2021, 07:47 PM
Bird began his career as a PF but switched to the SF position. Moreover, alike Dirk, he wasn't an elite defender. Surprisingly, he was still better than DIRK but would get owned by more athletic and bigger players playing in the 4 spot.

Bird would be a perfect 4 in today's league. Good rebounder and can hits 3s. Bird was always capable of guarding 4s, he even made an All-defensive team a couple of times. I believe if you want to maximize Hakeem's ability as a player you need a 4 who can shoot. Similar to how Houston always had shooters around Hakeem in the mid 90s. Give him room to operate in the post with spacing. AD, although great is a bit too soft for my liking at times. Bird has that dog in him and gives you more versatility offensivley.

tpols
05-08-2021, 07:51 PM
You can stack any combination of talent together, and at the end of the day the ball still has to go through the hoop. We've seen Curry go cold, LeBron get stuffed, AD be soft, Hakeem lose his temper, etc. When it comes to these GOAT teams playing each other you never know what could happen with each bounce of the ball and make of the shot. A team of Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, and KAJ could easily beat them.

Dagoods
05-08-2021, 07:51 PM
Bird would be a perfect 4 in today's league. Good rebounder and can hits 3s. Bird was always capable of guarding 4s, he even made an All-defensive team a couple of times. I believe if you want to maximize Hakeem's ability as a player you need a 4 who can shoot. Similar to how Houston always had shooters around Hakeem in the mid 90s. Give him room to operate in the post with spacing. AD, although great is a bit too soft for my liking at times. Bird has that dog in him and gives you more versatility offensivley.

Great post, but if that were the case, then why wouldn't you play KD as a PF?

DoctorP
05-08-2021, 07:53 PM
I like it OP. i like it

Chick Stern
05-08-2021, 07:54 PM
Jordan wasn’t the greatest of all-time, was not a better overall player, was not a better defender and his shot selection was limited - he did not do corners, and he sure didn’t stroke the three.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-08-2021, 07:54 PM
Mine would be:

Point Guard - Lebron James

Shooting Guard - Michael Jordan

Small Forward - Kawhi Leonard

Power Forward - Larry Bird

Center - Draymond Green

1987_Lakers
05-08-2021, 07:57 PM
Great post, but if that were the case, then why wouldn't you play KD as a PF?

Bird is a better rebounder, passer and I would trust him more to defend the post if needed to. Durant has the size but is pretty skinny.

tpols
05-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Mine would be:

Point Guard - Lebron James

Shooting Guard - Michael Jordan

Small Forward - Kawhi Leonard

Power Forward - Larry Bird

Center - Draymond Green

:roll:

Any top ATG center would roll 6'6 Draymond Green into another dimension. You have to be trolling to think KAJ or Wilt or Hakeem wouldn't knock his ass out with quickness. He made Tristan Thompson look like Dennis Rodman.

Dagoods
05-08-2021, 08:03 PM
Jordan wasn’t the greatest of all-time, was not a better overall player, was not a better defender and his shot selection was limited - he did not do corners, and he sure didn’t stroke the three.

https://youtu.be/qlLOc_xRb_c

https://youtu.be/kmK1R17QpJU

Nice try!

FireDavidKahn
05-08-2021, 08:07 PM
Kg >>>> ad

Dagoods
05-08-2021, 08:16 PM
Perhaps it's too early to bring AD into this conversation but his skillset fits the bill, he's exactly the right PF for this particular team.
KG was a superb defender but his offense was rather limited. AD gives you the best of both worlds like no other.

https://youtu.be/7rZFo3wx46U
Look at him chasing down KD, guarding the perimeter!

https://youtu.be/76iNlQQqtOk
Here he is shooting it from way down town!!!

Dagoods
05-08-2021, 08:16 PM
I like it OP. i like it

:rockon:

HBK_Kliq_2
05-08-2021, 08:22 PM
:roll:

Any top ATG center would roll 6'6 Draymond Green into another dimension. You have to be trolling to think KAJ or Wilt or Hakeem wouldn't knock his ass out with quickness. He made Tristan Thompson look like Dennis Rodman.

You think i'm worried about some big retard posting up? hahaha good look keeping up with my offense. We would run every big man out of the building because he would get destroyed on switches against Lebron or Jordan or Kawhi.

vs small teams they wouldn't have anybody to attack because Draymond is the greatest center ever at switching defensively on small guards

They would get their stats and still get swept, similar to Shaq in 1996 against bulls.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-08-2021, 08:33 PM
All those big dummies like Hakeem\Kareem would do is clog up the paint. Making it easy for their teammates to get locked up on the wing by Lebron\Jordan\Kawhi\Draymond. It's over for you if you want to run your offense through a big dummy that posts up and doesn't translate to anywhere near the offense that my team will have.

72-10
05-09-2021, 01:30 PM
I thought you meant as a team that has existed I would have picked the '83 Philadelphia 76ers this starting five would cake most teams.

Bimbo Coles
05-09-2021, 04:45 PM
Lebron
Jordan
Kawhi
Durant
Hakeem

Manny98
05-09-2021, 04:58 PM
Curry
Klay
Kawhi
LeBron
Duncan

warriorfan
05-09-2021, 05:07 PM
Curry
Klay
Leonard
KG
Hakeem

Basically a super warriors team with KG playing a super Draymond role. KG’s passing out of the high post to hit the wings or feed Hakeem down low would be unstoppable. More defensive versatility compared to the other power forwards too.

LeCola
05-09-2021, 05:37 PM
Kidd
Jordan
Durant
Garnett
Hakeem

For Lebron stans:

Lebron
Klay
Kawhi
Durant
Garnett

kawhileonard2
05-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Magic
MJ
Bird
Hakeem
Kareem

97 bulls
05-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Paul (yes Paul)
Jordan
Durant
Duncan
Olajuwan

Bimbo Coles
05-09-2021, 06:38 PM
Curry is the antithesis of complete.

97 bulls
05-09-2021, 06:48 PM
Curry is the antithesis of complete.

Lol.

rmt
05-09-2021, 07:44 PM
You think i'm worried about some big retard posting up? hahaha good look keeping up with my offense. We would run every big man out of the building because he would get destroyed on switches against Lebron or Jordan or Kawhi.

vs small teams they wouldn't have anybody to attack because Draymond is the greatest center ever at switching defensively on small guards

They would get their stats and still get swept, similar to Shaq in 1996 against bulls.

All those big dummies like Hakeem\Kareem would do is clog up the paint. Making it easy for their teammates to get locked up on the wing by Lebron\Jordan\Kawhi\Draymond. It's over for you if you want to run your offense through a big dummy that posts up and doesn't translate to anywhere near the offense that my team will have.

So disrespectful. It's bad enough your obsession with Leonard but to insult all time greats like these...smh

Bimbo Coles
05-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Lol. Consult your dictionary. A guy who plays very little defense isn't complete.

warriorfan
05-09-2021, 08:37 PM
Consult your dictionary. A guy who plays very little defense isn't complete.

Gl with your autism